Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures on the Lost Continent (Midnight Lass x Blood Red Romeo)

"Will do, Captain," Maria answered almost immediately over the intercom.

As soon as she did, two figures could be seen from the forward view, falling downward, with what appeared to be ropes attached to their ankles. The figures were holding a third rope between them.

"Hey, that's my bungee rope," Lauren exclaimed from the engineering position.

Orson put together what they were doing then. They were going on a rescue mission. He looked over and saw there were people where they were diving towards. He wondered how many they were trying to save.

He began to make slight adjustments to their flight, moving in minuscule ways to prevent the daredevil cousins from missing their mark due to the ship being blown to the side. Hovering perfectly still was difficult as sin. It also kept him from watching the girls. If they overestimated how much rope they needed, he...he couldn’t think about that.

"Wow!" Lauren said, barely audible. "Just...wow!"

The figures of Miharu and Saki slowed as the reached the dock. They did something on the ground, and then three figures came flying back toward the Midnight Curse.

A few minutes after the Japanese cousins disappeared from view, Maria's voice came over the intercom. "Captain, Miharu says she and Saki are finished. But they're pretty banged up. Them and the woman they rescued. I'm securing the maintenance hatch and getting them up to sickbay.

“Good work,” he replied. He switched the intercom over to the sickbay. “Look alive. You have three patients incoming.” Then he returned his attention to the flight. With a few more flicks and turns, they were back on their route. “Lauren, what are the odds you could hide those bungees in a place those two wouldn’t be able to find them? Because I’d rather not see if they can repeat that.”

"Is the captain seriously suggesting that I stand between those two and their fun?" Lauren replied, able to keep a straight face before she started snickering.

Orson laughed with her. He didn’t honestly think he could ever do something like that. And honestly, he was happy they did that. He’d just rather not risk losing them. “No, I suppose you couldn’t.” Orson replied. “Compass reads that we’re on course. We’ll ascend to cruising altitude, then we can try out this stabilizer of yours.” He was in no rush. Hopefully by then, he could visit their new guest. Hopefully she wasn’t too badly hurt.

"Yes, Captain," Ninah answered. "Just say when."

Truth be told, it felt a little comfortable for Ninah to be talking, at least not without doing so in concert with her sister. But they were still together, even if they were temporarily separated by a few decks.

But she knew Cimonah was just as excited as she was to see the gyroscopic stabilizer apparatus in action!

It took them some time, twenty or so minutes of careful climbing to finally reach the height Orson wanted to be at. He then made sure that everything needed was in place. Every adjustment he could think of was there. Then he reached down and turned on the gyroscopic stabilizer. Then he took his hands off the wheel and stepped back, ready to dive forward and take the wheel if needed.

There was a little shudder that traveled through the ship, and then the ship remained at the speed, altitude and heading Orson had set in.

"It's working," Luisa said excitedly from the Analytical Engine. "All the readouts confirm that the stabilizer is working."

Orson continued to watch it carefully for over a minute, making sure it worked properly. He didn’t want to seem unsure, he just knew how catastrophic a failure could be. Eventually, he decided he believed in what they had done enough, though not completely. Yet.

“Okay, it looks stable,” he said. “I’m going to the sickbay to see who our crew mates rescued. I want everyone to remain here and watch the readings. If anything goes wrong, call for me immediately. Lauren, when I get back, how would you like a piloting lesson? I feel we could use a backup and you were recommended as the best choice.”

"We'll stay on top of it, Captain," Tamra assured him. By the tone of her voice, it seemed that the excitement of the launch, the riot on the docks, and the twins dramatic rescue had, at least temporarily, warmed Tamra's feelings toward Orson.

"And I'm looking forward to the lessons, Captain," Lauren chimed in.

Orson nodded to the assembled women as they agreed. He should also show Tamra as well. It was always good to have more than one backup. They didn’t need to fly as well as he could, just enough to survive getting from one point to another.

Orson left bridge, still uncomfortable that there was no helmsman. But he needed to adapt. This was going to be the new norm eventually. It was just different for him. Resolved to not let this bother him (and after almost sprinting back when he felt a slightly strong breeze hit the ship), he made his way to the sickbay.

“How are the patients?” he asked upon entering. Provided nothing too bad happened down there, he hoped that most of the care had already been finished. He hoped.

Nurse Bianca Costa, accompanied by Miharu and Saki, intercepted Orson before he could enter the sickbay. The two Japanese cousins, though covered with bandages, didn't seem worse for wear, and had the mischevious grins of two children who had gotten to ride their favorite roller coaster and had already gotten back into line for a second turn.

"These two, though I don't know how," Bianca began, "only have a few bruises and bangs, and look ready for another round of deviltry."

Miharu translated what Bianca said to Saki, which got both of them snickering, which earned a baleful look from Bianca.

"Our new arrival is doing well, though she's still in a state of shock," Bianca continued. "I suppose being in the middle of a riot, then being suddenly snatched from above will do that to you. Doctor Motwani said the new arrival is doing well, but Doctor Motwani wants wants to keep the patient calm and isolated for the moment. The doctor should be back in a moment. She went to answer a call from Doctor Dubois in the library about our...er, other 'little problem.'"

Orson looked over the two Japanese girls and their incredible grins. He sighed reflexively upon seeing this. The two thrill seekers were going to find fun no matter what, even in a rescue mission.

“Thank you Nurse Costa,” he replied. “I hope she does well. Send a call for me when you think it would be appropriate. It’d be rude not greet our new passenger and discuss what she wants to do,” he explained. “Of course, we’re in rush to do that. Her health comes first.”

“As for you two,” he said, returning his attention to the cousins. He reached out, pulling both of them into a hug. “I can’t decide if that stunt of yours made me more scared or more proud, so let’s go with both.” He let them go, not holding on for a long embrace. “You two did good today, saving someone from danger. I’m proud to call you my crew.”

Both girls blushed and grinned at the hug. When Miharu translated Orson's words to Saki, Saki said something back, which Miharu nodded at.

"She says Nurse Costa helped dress our wounds," Miharu grinned, "So you should hug her too."

"Well, I, uh..." Bianca stuttered, blushing a bright red.

"Yes, she definitely needs a hug," Miharu insisted.

Orson couldn’t tell if the girls were trying to thank her or tease her. He didn’t know much about Nurse Costa other than her qualification, but she was a hard worker who cared for her patients. He opened up his arms, offering a hug. He moved in close, eventually giving the woman a gentle embrace. “Thank you for looking after everyone,” he told her. Then he backed away. It was a brief hug, but nice.

Bianca was blushing a deep red now. Unable to speak, she just ducked her head and nodded.

The intercom near the entrance sounded with the voice of Tamra. "Captain James, this is the bridge."

Well, he could add one more trait to his list for her: adorable. But his mind abandoned that when he heard Tamra’s voice over the intercom. He worried that there may have been a problem. He almost started running towards the bridge, but he stayed calm like any good captain. At least, he tried to look calm.

“This is Captain James,” he said into the intercom. “What’s the situation?”

"Not an emergency situation," Tamra assured him. "That stabilizer thing---" a voice from the bridge corrected her "---excuse me, the gyroscopic stabilizer apparatus, is working like a charm. I just talked to Safa. If you have a moment, she'd like to talk to both of us in the library. And if you can swing by sickbay, bring along Nurse Costa and either Miharu or Saki."

"Better make it me and Saki, Captain," Nurse Costa advised. "Miharu has some first aid training and Saki doesn't speak English, so Miharu is better able to help our patient until either the Doctor or I can get back here."

Last edited by a moderator:
“On our way,” Orson said into the intercom. “And that’s a good idea. Nurse Costa, Saki, will you please accompany me to the library? Miharu, please look after our guest,” he said to the assembled women. He then led the way for them to the library, wondering what Safa wanted to tell them. Maybe they had learned more about Brynhild.

Tamra met Orson, Bianca and Saki outside the library, with Lauren in tow.

"Safa asked me to bring Lauren along for some reason," Tamra said with a shrug. "She didn't say why, just asked me to bring her. I've told her about our little problem."

Lauren shook her head in disbelief. "We've barely been airborne an hour, Captain, and already I've seen more stuff than most people have seen in a lifetime. All I can say is, thanks for bringing me along."

Tamra chuckled, then asked Orson, "Should I get Saki up to speed about our shrunken woman?"

“You should. I also think we should tell everyone, when we get the opportunity and when things with her are more understood. I’m not a fan of keeping secrets from the crew,” Orson replied. He also smiled at Lauren in response to her question. He was glad she was here. “But I’m most excited to see what she’s learned.”

Tamra took a few minutes to explain to Saki about their miniature guest. Saki's eyes grew wider and wider as Tamra explanation continued until Saki asked something, her tone incredulous, her left and right hands only six inches apart. Tamra answered "Hai!" with a nod. Saki shook her head, still disbelieving.

"Well, as you British would say," Tamra observed, "The proof is in the pudding. Shall we?" she asked, before leading the group into the library.

All four walls were covered with shelves from floor to ceiling, with the shelves themselves packed with books. There were only two doors in the library, one leading out to the corridors, the other door leading to the sleeping quarters that Tamra was sharing with Safa.

In the center of the room was an oval table, with Safa, Ayisha Motwani, Sabrina Dubois, Contesa Dimitriu, and Luna seating around the table. The tiny, handkerchief clad Brynhild was on the table, closest to Safa. When Brynhild spotted Tamra, she said something in that harsh, Germantic language of her, which Tamra responded.

"Ah, good, Captain James, Dr. Wilson, Nurse Costas, Miss Evans, Miss Saki, it is good of you to join us," Contesa Dimitriu said. "Please take seat. Please. We have solution to poor Brynhild's condition. Please sit!" The last was directed at Lauren and Saki, who were staring unabashedly at the shrunken blonde on the table. Lauren shook her head and took a seat. Saki, seeing Lauren take a seat, followed suit.

"A very interesting journey you have brought us on," Contesa Dimitriu told Orson. "I thank you for this opportunity."

Orson was about to object. He had never once used that phrase in his life and never planned on it. That was more in the circle of the nobility, the traditional British that people thought of. Orson was working class. Those weren’t the types of things he heard growing up. At least not where he was from. But it wasn’t worth it, so he stayed quiet.

“Honestly, I should thank you for the expertise you’re bringing to the crew. That extends to everyone, really,” Orson replied to the Contessa. He wasn’t as phased by Brunhild as Lauren or Saki, but he still couldn’t help but stare a bit. After all, a six inch woman wasn’t something he was used to. He remembered how she had been wary of him before, so he made sure to keep his distance.

“So, you found a cure? And can you speak to her now?” he asked, very much wanting to know what sort of developments occurred.

"That's a yes and no," Sabrina Dubois answered. "The first thing you need to understand is that there is no magic. I'm not denying what we all see at this table," Sabrina continued, gesturing at Brynhild, "But magic implies that there is an arbitrary system with no rules involved. There are very definite rules here, just ones we don't understand, but ones that can be revealed with systematic study and experimentation."

"That being said," Sabrina continued, "We do have a cure: the powdered egg shell of a roc. Unfortunately, rocs are a legendary creature and, if they did exist in our world at any time in the past, they have long since disappeared. Legends hold that rocs still exist at the center of the Lost Continent, but legends say that quite a few things exist at the center of the Lost Continent. So to find the only known cure for Brynhild, we have to go to an area that no one has ever returned from."

"However, there might be a substitute for powdered Roc egg shells," Sabrina concluded. "With some modifications. Tell me, Captain, have you ever seen an Andean Condor?"

Back
Top Bottom