Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Is "Magic" To You?

Erit of Eastcris

Low-Rent Poet
What I mean is, when the occasion comes for you to think in terms of magic, what is the thing that first comes to mind? Numerology, the world as governed by numbers and formulae? Vancian magic, where spells are limited-use programs of a sort, needing to be prepared and expended? Astrology, which draws energy from constellations to influence the world? Or is your perception of magic something more intuitive, where one simply wills a result into existence?

I enjoy the physics-properties of magic tied to a general understanding of the latent energy in the world. Similar to willing, but requiring a knowledge of the combinations, practicality, and reactions of the elements needed to bring the result into space. I also enjoy entertaining the Gift idea of magic, but alongside counter of sensitivity and resilience in the knowledgeable Ungifted.

Magic is a supernatural application of forces. I like maintaining the idea that even in a fantasy 'verse, the laws of conservation still apply, though it does make certain spells absolutely horrifying to consider.

The first thought that comes to my mind when I think of the word magic is the Celtic kind. I think of changelings and fairy folk. I think of the feeling I get when something unexplainable is portrayed as occurring. I also think of the show Outlander and the movie The Mists of Avalon.

The practical-minded me that loves science, always refers to this Arthur C. Clarke post as the closest thing we will see of magic:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

And if you think about that, and then consider 100 to 200 years back, if we showed the people of that era our... let's say cell phones. That would be considered magic, first and foremost. Maybe some technologically minded person would think otherwise, but the common theme would definitely be... maagggiiiiicc.

And that's what I regularly use when I write any speculative fiction dealing with it. I'm such a lump in the log... I KNOW!

I guess I think something very stereotypically fantasy - lots of monsters and spells and potions and rituals and whatever; but I loathe the "it's magic, it just works" excuse.

Everything has underlying mechanics, I'm not saying it has to follow all the rules of physics or whatever, but it has to have some rules underneath it and if it's exposed to the readers it's even better. Especially because I think that narratively a clever use of an already existing item is much more exciting than just going with a new spell / potion / ritual / whatever.

@Erit of Eastcris, good question by the way, and responders all have good points. From a writing point of view, I agree with @slowbudget, a story is even better when the rules/mechanics are exposed to the reader (and let me add your partner). Role playing has been a bag of mixed candies, some better than others. The best are ones when rules/mechanics are clearly defined.

A natural order of things that still has rules, a way of reaching a desired effect by drugs, potions and changing genetics or affecting the world around that can still be explained by advanced science

I'm a bit late to the party, but I would like to offer my take on it.

The first first thing that comes to my mind when I think about magic, is not the mechanism, nor the rules, but the possibilities. In effect, I think of the "what" and "why" first, and the "how" second.

Yes, magic is not supposed to be the be all end all instant solution to any problem, and there should be rules and limitations governing its use, but for me it is often enough to know that they exist without spelling them out -- as long as the application is internally consistent. But it is more interesting to me to focus on what the magic can do, and why magic is needed to accomplish it.

I would like to mention that Clarke's third law (which IObviouslyWantSmut mentioned above) is asymmetrical. Some feats of advanced technology may appear as magic to the uninitiated, but some depictions of magical feats cannot be duplicated by technological means, no matter how advanced, because they would violate the fundamental physical laws of the universe. And if the effect one is after falls into that category, there is little alternative to resorting to magic. (As an aside, I would like to add that often what appears to be (fictional) technology is nothing more than thinly disguised magic. Time travel, shrinking rays, and their ilk come to mind).

Personally speaking, some of the things that I like require magic so it features prominently in my RPs.

That said, magic is a dangerous beast which, once introduced, must be kept on a tight leash lest it devours the plot and kills the story. Imagine the following exchange:
- The hero uses his magic wand/talisman/ability/spell/ritual/whatever to erase the villain and all their minions from existence.
- Um, no, the hero cannot do that. It doesn't work like this.
- Why not?

So now, you have to figure out how it does work, or at the least decide what is possible and what isn't, and keep it consistent throughout the story in order to maintain believably. Otherwise you get something like the following exchange:
- The hero can now use his magic wand/talisman/ability/spell/ritual/whatever to erase the villain and all their minions from existence.
- Wait, didn't you say it could not be done before, so how come it can be done now?
- Um, because... reasons?
- That's it, I'm outa here.

Magic is a complicated subject.

when I think of magic, David Copperfield comes to mind, or that cute asian guy that does sleight of hand on 'America's got Talent' show. Stuff like the Harry Potter movies are more like fantasy to me. Suspension of belief is a nice way of forgetting your troubles for a little while, so for me it's merely temporary escapism

Of course it is a temporary escapism, but temporary escapism into fantasy is exactly what many of us are here for.

Magic is something that can't be fully explained by science. Magic also often has a cost (like mana). I looooove creative magic RP.~

Back
Top Bottom