Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Interest Check) Vampire: The Masquerade

Major Kusanagi

The Major
Okay, I've recently been getting back into a game I loved to play but haven't done in a long time. And that game is Vampire: The Masquerade by White Wolf Publishing, the game that started the entire World of Darkness franchise.

I used to play a lot of Vampire, both tabletop and LARP. And I would love to run a sandbox Vampire: The Masquerade campaign with the original Gothic-Punk flavor and the mysterious brooding atmosphere of the early versions of the game, before the metaplot went crazy like it did in Revised Edition.

I want the game to be based on First Edition's setting, style, and themes. The game itself could use the First Edition rules or use the more recent V20 rules with the First Edition style and setting, although I could also do a semi-freeform version of the game inspired by the LARP rules. Don't know if a semi-freeform system would go here or Group Role-Plays, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

For a more clear idea of the setting, style, themes, and atmosphere of First Edition Vampire: The Masquerade, check out the official VTM Style Guide that White Wolf put out on DriveThruRPG, it's completely free to download and I'll link it below.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/218269/Vampire-the-Masquerade-Storytellers-Vault-Style-Guide

The actual setting in terms of when and where would be Chicago in the very early 1990's. It would be inspired by the early First Edition supplements for Vampire, such as the original Chicago By Night, and other books like Milwaukee By Night as well as the early adventure modules like Ashes to Ashes, The Succubus Club, Blood Bond, Alien Hunger, Blood Nativity, and Awakening: Diablerie Mexico.

Playable clans would be Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, and Ventrue.

Would anyone be interested in revisiting the roots of Vampire: The Masquerade?

Both are good. Have as many characters as you feel comfortable playing as. Whether it be many or just one.

Truly, planning only one character if we get enough players, but keep it in mind, if anyone wants to run Tremere, I wouldn't mind playing one as well. And all due respect, the Tremere need a chantry. Perhaps three neonates fresh in from Venice, after their bonding rites.

The Harbinger said:
Truly, planning only one character if we get enough players, but keep it in mind, if anyone wants to run Tremere, I wouldn't mind playing one as well. And all due respect, the Tremere need a chantry. Perhaps three neonates fresh in from Venice, after their bonding rites.

I like it. The Tremere were one of my favorite clans to play, along with the Brujah and Malkavians.

There is a small Tremere chantry in Chicago By Night 1E (which I'll be using as a loose setting reference, but I'm not entirely bound to it and the players need not to worry about knowing the original Chicago By Night as I will be playing fast and loose with the details on that setting) but the actual number of "canon" Tremere are few in the book.

So I will totally allow more Tremere PC's and NPC's, including some fresh neonates from Venice if need be.

That would be good, you can make them using V20 and then post the information in a forum post on a character creation thread I'll be making soon.

We're using the standard Neonate rules found in V20.

7/5/3 for Attributes, 13/9/5 for Abilities, Three Discipline Dots (must be In-Clan, Disciplines acquired by spending freebie points can be out-of-clan within reason), Five Background Dots, and Fifteen Freebie Points.

I would like to take part. My preference would've been Lasombra, but as that's not an option, I'll go with Ventrue. More specifics will depend on tone of game and location. I mean, an arms-dealer might be fun, but of little use in the Highlands of Scotland :)

mystictiger said:
I would like to take part. My preference would've been Lasombra, but as that's not an option, I'll go with Ventrue. More specifics will depend on tone of game and location. I mean, an arms-dealer might be fun, but of little use in the Highlands of Scotland :)

It was mentioned previously in the thread that we will be in Chicago circa 1980-1990. 1st Ed feel using the V20 rules for setup.

Hate to be the one that sounds like a power gamer BUT, are you allowing merits and flaws and if so, how many points of flaws may we take?

Not to try to confuse things, but you went as far as to detail build specifics, and seemed to leave this little detail out.

Would anyone have a digital format for the character sheet? I am horrible at organizing such, though I am practically done with the written sheet I am using.

Hi!
Is this still building up steam? Or is it too late for someone else to throw their hat in the ring? I'd plump for either a Tremere or a Nosferatu cleopatra!

I am intending on launching this some time after Easter is over and done with and I'll have more free time around then.

Back
Top Bottom