Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Lone Rider Inn, Aldburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serenity

Supernova
[td] text text text text text text text [/td]
[td]

Altáriel

Altáriel had noticed the Inn’s new arrival the same time as everyone else, her story faltered for a moment as she watched the man, much as the rest of the inn’s occupants. Though when the excitement of his entrance had passed she turned her attention back to her two companions, only to halt once more as the man bellowed across the inn’s common room. And all eyes turned to their table. Though their stares were not directed at her this time she felt herself flush. She was all to familiar with looks from the inn’s regulars and she felt sympathy swell in her for her new friend.

She studied the new comer as he walked across the common room to them, wearing the evidence of a heavy battle. And felt pity for him. She wondered what had happened. He had clearly been attacked, had he lost people as she had?

Though he seemed to overlook her and Randir at first she took no offense. He was in rough shape…and she herself had been captivated by Elerondiel. Just as it was clear the rest of the humans in the inn were as well. His eyes met hers when he realized his oversight, under the grit and grime of battles she could see he was an attractive man, a light flush spread over her cheeks and she offered a hesitant, shy, smile, which turned to a worried frown when he tried to stand and faltered. She reached out to steady him for a moment before clasping her hands in her lap once more.

Aside from introducing herself Altáriel remained the quietest member of the group. Shy by nature she often preferred to listen. His tale was a sad one and far too common these days. When he finished and inquired about the three of them she paled. She hadn’t actually voiced her story out loud for anyone. Most the inn’s patrons had known about it before she did. Gossip had travelled fast after her arrival.

It was something that was clearly hard for her to speak of. The reason she had come to the inn. She looked down at the table, as if studying the scratched and scarred surface. She fidgeted, wringing her hands in her lap, and when she finally spoke her voice was low, and hard to hear over the chatter that had slowly picked up as the other patrons returned their attention to their own companions.

“My father was a merchant, we were travelling…money still needed to be earned even if the lights had gone out. We were close to the city but we had to stop and rest the horses and our men. The orcs found us while we slept.” She had to pause before she went on to tell them of her escape. Being knocked unconscious by her father’s man when she turned back to try and help, and waking up in the inn, to the news that there were no survivors.​

[/td]

{ Elerondiel Peredhel }
When the great bear of a man slumped down beside her, Elerondiel let out a little squeak. She had not been expecting that, and it rather startled her. She felt her heart thump in her chest, and took a deep breath to calm it. She was more at home in the stacks of a great library than in a tavern, and sometimes it really showed. Her uncle used to tease her about how easy it was to scare her when she was younger. Thankfully, as she grew, the difficulty of scaring her increased. Somewhat.

Elerondiel looked at Altáriel sympathetically as she listened to the girl's tale. It seemed like she had been through so much...and yet, she seemed to present a brave face. Elerondiel could respect that strength displayed by Altáriel.
"I am sorry to hear of your loss...but at least you survived to tell the tale." Elerondiel told Altáriel, nodding slightly. She found herself reaching out to the human, and resting a hand gently on her shoulder. "I pray that those who slew your loved ones are brought low, and that your loved ones find peace in their rest." It was delivered with no short amount of stuttering, but the meaning behind it was honest and true.

She glanced at Durwood, having heard his query earlier and felt guilty about not responding right away.
"Randir and I came to Gondor to seek answers to the missing sun...I figured that I could perhaps peruse the archives of Minas Tirith to see if there were any answers lying there." Elerondiel responded. "But with the information that you have provided...it reminds me of an old tale that my adar once told me." She frowned. "A tale regarding the end of the world...or something like it. He said that a great evil would come out and destroy the sun and the moon. Eärendil would come down, and...and..." Her brow furrowed as she struggled to recall the story from her childhood. It had probably been watered down for her young ears, but still... "Eärendil would come forth and strike him down from the air. There will be a great battle on the Valinor fields, and...the Earth will be remade." She sighed, taking a sip of her water. "They'll get back the three legendary jewels, and everything will be wonderful again. Or at least, that's my father's version - he may have watered down some of the juicier bits for my young ears." She smiled softly, looking into her cup. "I always was rather taken with stories of great valor and greater heroes. I liked it because..." She thought it somewhat silly, perhaps not for stranger's ears. "Well, that doesn't matter. But if what is happening pertains to the story my father told me, then...we're pretty much at the Elven apocalypse." She took another drink from her cup and set it down. "Perhaps...we could investigate Andrast for your countrymen..." She mused, quickly becoming lost in thought as she started thinking about what her and Randir's next move might be.

It was a sad tale that Altariel wove, one that was becoming more and more common of late and he wished he had more than a few words of sympathy to give her, in a soft voice he told her "I am sorry what happened to your father... myself and elerondiel are headed to minas tirith, if you would like you could accompany us there.. or to wherever you need along the way." he offered, his tone soft and his eyes honest..

Randir let out a hearty laugh as Elerondiel stopped speaking, partially because she squeaked, partially because what else can you do when an elven scholar who is probably much smarter than yourself tells you that the end is coming. Not that he didnt have a feeling that such a thing was the case, he just held out hope that perhaps there was something in the ancient vaults of the white city that would manage to fix everything over night.. serves him right for hoping for a miracle. but as he listened to the story he felt something tugging at the back of his mind.

His hand even now relaxed still grasped Elerondiels shoulder hoping to keep her calm as she spoke. and at the end of it he added " I am her companion, where she goes, I go, Otherwise her family had some very creative ideas of what they would do with my insides if anything happened to her. And while I am all for going all the way to the gondorian bad lands over a whole mountain range mind you in search of a shooting star, I would perhaps like to know there is actually anything of worth there." he finished by taking a long drink of the mead that was in front of him. speaking of being tired, it was getting pretty late into the eternal night. "innkeep, a room for 2 please" he called out, handing the coppers it would take to cash out his tab and pay for the room. once this conversation was done, he would head up to the room and get some shut eye. hopefully.

And then it hit him... the thing that was tugging at the back of his mind, the elven apocalypse, the dagor dagorath... he had heard of it a few times and that thing the horse lords saw was a piece of the shattered sun... which means there is a reason to go to the gondorian bad-lands crossing a mountain range all the while.
he relayed the realization with a

"well... Damn... I suppose I have to head to andrast"

[td]

Altáriel

Altáriel was quiet as the conversation progressed around her. She said quiet words of thanks in answer to the other’s words of sympathy. It was clear her emotions, held at bay for some time now, had momentarily overcome her in the telling of her tragic tale.

She managed to shake herself out of her funk in time for everyone to say goodnight, and to accept the offer of companionship on the road. She couldn’t stay in this walled town forever, eventually she would need to venture forth and find her way back to her home in Dol Amroth. Or better yet find her way to her brother, where ever he might be stationed. He was the only family she had left...Though the thought of their reunion was bitter sweet. She would have to tell him what befell their father.

“That is very kind of you, I accept your offer.” She said with a small, appreciative smile.

Once Randir and Elerondiel had settled their bill and left for the evening Altáriel did the same. She paid for her meal as well as their new companions and made her way to her room and the hot bath that would await her. She would miss that luxury once they left the city.

[/td]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom