Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The story of the world

Zalvek

Pulsar
This is just a little something I've had in my head for a bit. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Prologue:

The sun had just passed beyond the horizon and the last traces of warm hues were gone from view. The sky was now a deep royal blue, with faint shards of light glittering the night. A soft cool breeze billowed through the evening and pass along a small town. There were several stone huts scattered along the open grassy field, each only large enough to house a family. Warm lights from fireplaces glowed out of each hut, a shade of familiarity and comfort came from each one, as soft laughter and happiness could be heard in the distance.

One hut, built with white stones had a voice calling out, "Erutas? By the Goddess, where has that child gone?" A tall woman, with her black hair tied back in a knot let out a sigh as she headed outside of her home, looking left and right for the child. The child was nowhere in her sight, and even as she cried out louder, there was no reply. Even though she was unable to see her child, there was only one place that the woman could have thought they would be.

* * *​

Large, bright blue eyes gazed up in awe as the stars shimmered and glistened in the night. Her mouth was gaping open, amazed at the beautiful sight that always stirred a deep curiosity within her. She sat in the grassy fields, far away from the town, away from the lights of the houses. This was always the best spot to gaze at the stars. Every night was the same here; the sky was always clear, and the stars always shone brightly. Whenever she looked up at the vastness of the night sky, it always reminded the young girl of the size of the world, and how small she was in comparison. This didn't sadden the child however. Instead, it filled her with anticipation, for all of the new and exciting things that were in the world for her to one day see.

Her mouth closed into a small smile while she leaned back, her arms at an angle to support her body from falling back. As she loosened her eyelids while looking up towards the canvas of night, a sigh of content came from her. The girl was too young to understand what the sigh meant, but her mother and father had often done it before, and she found herself mimicking the habit from time to time. Right as it seemed slumber was about to come over her, a familiar voice cried out to her, "Erutas? Erutas! Are you out there?"

Her eyes immediately wrung back open as the girl lifted herself up and stood upright. Not too far off, she could see her mother walking towards her. With a smile, she eagerly ran towards her before hugging at her knees affectionately. Although the mother was set to scold the child for running off again, all she could do was sigh and pull her child up into her arms. "I've told you time and time again, not to go out during the night alone! You know there was wolves and other animals out then."

The girl blinked and shook her head left and right repeatedly. "Nuh uh! I've never seen a wolf even once out here before momma! And it's so bright in the town, I can't look at the stars!" Once being reminded of why she came out this far, the girl looked back up at the sky once more. "And this is always the best place to look at the stars too..."

The mother sighed and smiled at her daughter, softly petting her similar black hair. "You always do love looking up at the stars, don't you?" With an earnest smile Erutas looked towards her mother and nodded her head firmly. "Yup! They're so pretty to look at." She immediately looked back towards the sky while she sighed once more.

It was quiet for a few moments, as mother and child gazed together at the night sky. The silence was broken when Erutas let out a yawn, before asking, "Momma, could you tell me the story of The Creator again?"

It was the mother's turn to sigh as she replied, "Every night, it's the same Erutas. Don't you want to hear another story?"
"Nuh uh. It's my favorite." she replied curtly.

With a chuckle at the child's stubbornness, the mother sat down in the grass and set her child in her lap, as she stroked her hair idly before beginning, "Alright then... This is the story of our world and The Creator. My mother told it to me, and her mother did the same when she was a child. In the beginning, our world was not here. It was nothing, and we were all nothing as well. However, one day The Creator came. From nothing, he made our world. He shaped the land, poured the oceans, and planted the seeds of life into each and every one of us-"

"Even me?" The child interrupted. "Yes Erutas, even you." She smiled before leaning down to tickle the girl's stomach. As her child giggled and squirmed the mother laughed as well, before leaning down to place a small kiss on her forehead.

As the laughter calmed down the mother continued, "When The Creator was done, our world was complete. There were many people and animals who were grateful to him, and every day was spent in celebration of him. It was a very happy time."

"But eventually, the day came where The Creator had to leave. The entire world cried out to him, begging him to stay with us; but he could not. The Creator had many more things to create. However, the cries and sorrow of the people touched The Creator, and so he created one more thing before he left. A guardian." Simply hearing the word guardian brought a bright light that shimmered in Erutas' eyes. The mother simply smiled and stroked her hair lovingly while continuing.

"The Creator said this to our people, 'This guardian will protect this world. He will make sure that you will all be safe and happy always. Take comfort in this, and know that one day I will come back to this world.' That was the last thing that The Creator ever said before he left."

"For many years, the guardian watched over our world, and all was peaceful. But as time went on, he found that he world was getting bigger, that there were more and more people every day. Soon he could not watch the entire world by himself. So the guardian made the greatest sacrifice to this world. He split himself into three parts, to watch over the world."

"The body became the Lord, Alvrius. A powerful God who protected his people with strength and power. The brain was the second part, and became the Goddess known as Fintal. Fintal was the Goddess of all knowledge, and she oversaw her kingdom, with wisdom and justice. And finally..."

"There's Zenriou!" The girl chimed in quickly.

While stroking her hair the mother asked, "And do you know who Zenriou is?"

"Of course I do!" Erutas beamed while puffing her chest in pride. "The guardian's heart became our Goddess Zenriou. Zenriou watched over the kingdoms with love, and devotion, and she watched us all still today."

"My little girl is so smart, isn't she..." The mother beamed and hugged the child close. Erutas eagerly hugged her mother back with a smile. Once she let go, she continued the last of her story.

"And so, this is how our three countries were formed. The Kingdom of Alvrius in the West, the Kingdom of Fintal in the East, and the Kingdom of Zenriou in the North."

"Wait a minute momma, what about the South? Does the South not have a kingdom?"

"I'm afraid not, my daughter. It is an open land, with many other towns and smaller provinces of people with their own different beliefs. But do not concern yourself with the South. There is nothing of importance there."

Erutas yawned softly, and nodded to herself. Her eyelids were getting heavy as the night went on. Already the sky was almost pitch black, and the stars were at their brightest. The mother sighed and pulled the girl into her arms before standing up, "We should get you to bed. It's very late after all."

All the girl could do was mumble in a sleepy daze while snuggling close to the warmth of her mother's body. The mother chuckled softly and shook her head before heading back to the town.

Back
Top Bottom