Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeon World (OOC)

Nice! ^_^

Should we chat some about our world/what the game's gonna be?

Should probly do that before getting too deep into our characters.

The main thing is that world building happens on the fly...

However there are some basic's that I would include, after seeing what kind of characters you all bring, and what is your very basic background. After all, from time to time I would tell and ask some trivia about your character. :)

Well I was more aiming toward all of us being on the same page about stuff. At least when I've played we have a pre-session talk where we make characters together and chat about stuff in the world and things we want to see.

I guess we can make characters and then just figure stuff out from them as we go, that could work, if that's how you're wanting to do it.

I am open to discussion, if the others are game too. Maybe everyone can write three things they want to see/experience, and anything that really not their bread...

Nixy, I understand your impulse to work things out beforehand, but as counterintuitive as it may seem, that runs kind of against the Powered by the Apocalypse ethos in my experience. I really do find these games are best when everything is thrown out on the fly. Preparation just breeds expectations, which, in a collaborative medium like this, are bound to be bucked by other people's decisions.

Though we should talk about character bonds and stuff, since that's in the rules. I think Xia sees Lily as always getting into trouble, and needing protection from herself--does that sound about right to you?

It literally says in the book we're supposed to talk to each other about our world and set expectations. PbtA games aren't an exercise in improvisation, they're about playing a narratively driven game and playing to find out what happens.

I'm not saying we need to plan out literally everything about our world and what we're doing, but setting touchstones and inspirations for the game is important. If one of us is expecting happy go lucky fantasy and we get thrown into Cthuhlu's Wonderland, it's going to be very jarring.

Okay, I go first then.

This would be an usual fantasy world. Mainly humans with cities, but most of it more rural, smaller and bigger kingdoms, city-states, or just native people. This said, there are elves in the forests - or in areas where was forests in the far past. And there are dwarves, mainly in mountains and working with stone, iron, and other mined things. There are monsters, that have their own culture, but more interested in living on others work. So, slavery, pillage, rape... and thus some half-bloods.

And then of course there is magic, and might, and heroes... But it is rare to have one give up her family, friends, and start a journey if they does not have to. Most of the so called "adventurers" are running from something, or trying to get something, very few of them are good people or heroic. But money or other things get them do their work. Which is doing things that the local militia is unable to do, or someone wants to make happen in silence.

And then there is sex. Everything is about sex in the background, but usually not told or shown (or sold) freely. So I would say that the world is normal, and just a little bit ready to have all and any kind of "thing" happen.

Huh, I guess I'm looking at a different part of the book, or just reading it differently. Or maybe I'm just getting my own experience with PbtA confused with how I remember the actual rules. My group tends to lean a lot on improv, and be very anti-planning. Anyway, I totally see where you're coming from, so fair enough.

Chris, I really like where you're going. Not really much to add to it, except maybe to suggest we stay away from having most monsters, at least those with human-like intelligence, be inherently evil or incapable of having peaceful societies. I think it's better to have the difference be cultural, rather than biological or metaphysical--stays further from possible racist undertones that way. Like, maybe around here, people know goblins as dangerous bandits and thieves, but there could be other places where goblins rule their own stable kingdoms and other peoples are considered "monsters". You don't fight someone because they're an evil creature and must die, you fight them because they're a threat to you at the current time. Does that make sense?

I agree with you, Amaril. It is more of a tendency, and a cultural thing for them. Just like with animals... The only inherintly evil monsters are the ones that was created like that, or who do not have a choice...

While there is no goblin kingdom like the human ones, but indeed it is quite possible to meet a goblin king if one seek out that rare place...

Everyone is fighting because he or she or it have to, not because it is that good. Just the opposite of sex, that is usually that good that everybady want to do it - says the kinky sage. :)

Sorry if that came off meaner than I meant it to. Been in a weird place today >.< I'll reread my stuff before shooting it off like that.

Sounds good to me, pretty stock fantasy sounding. I also like having diversity within the traditional "monster" races where some are the usual "we're bad and attack things without care" and there's some that actually care to have civilization and such. Would be fun to interact with. Plus monster sex, always fun.

Just saw that thing you put about Xia and Lily, that totally makes sense. I'm thinking Lily was going to a school in some bigger city, getting into University and hearing all these glorious tales about the world, and just decided to up and leave to experience it for herself. So definitely getting into lots of trouble and probably needing help, but still useful with her songs and abilities.

Hmm...Roren could easily have guided Xia, and hold her in debt. Does he share her hunger for glory? Or maybe his ways are strange and confusing--either could work.

Mm. Roren would seem like they type to show the way to a barbarian, no doubt. And yes, he's a glory seeker. They may see eye to eye on some practices though.

As for the teacher, I think he may want to give Lily some pointers even if she can use a bow.

Totally, Lily will probably need all the help she can get in those regards ^_^

I'm thinking Xia fascinates her in her boldness, and she's writing a ballad about her and her antics?

Then for Roren, I'm thinking maybe he doesn't trust her completely? Like maybe he saw her do something really stupid in nature and that's why he also feels the need to enlighten her about it.

Great, Roren is happy to be Lily's Back seat camper. I'm sure she didn't do something right or spent too much time with something so simple, that he believes she's not quite capable of doing much outdoors and is going to have to help her.

Oh, absolutely. The dialogue from their first night out probably went something like:

"Lily, can you do X?"
*Ten minutes later*
"Never mind, I'll do it. Can you do Y instead?"
*Ten minutes later*
"Never mind, I'll do that too"

If Lily's writing a ballad about Xia, she's automatically Xia's favorite person. I suddenly imagine Xia acting like Lily's mom, obsessed with protecting her because she's so precious and must not be harmed :p

Well, I started building a dragonknight, then realised that I actually know nothing when it comes to making reasonable stats for him, Does he need to act as a tank or will he be a DPS character? How do I make him a good tank without being overpowered, Can he use debuff's?. And honestly I'm not paying for a book that I'll never ever use again and I probably give to charity or pirating something for my laptop when its already pretty beat up now and one catastrophic event will destroy it.

Back
Top Bottom