Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

BloodRust - Iron Frame Regulators (Skeith Takahata II & MessedupRp

Sarah returned Colette's smile with one of her own, albeit a tired and sad one. "H-hey." Her eyes followed her as she sat down. "I'm hanging in there. It's not as easy to keep it together without Velvet." She breathed a sigh of relief at her information on Velvet's condition. She wasn't surprised to hear that Colette knew about her and Velvet. "Thank you for coming to tell me." There was a silent look of gratitude for her discretion as well. "As I am not legally an adult in my country, and this is one of our Iron Fortresses, I'm not allowed in the infirmary unless I'm sick or injured."

"Home is well." She replied with a smile. "My little sister writes as often as she can. My folks, not as often. I ran away to join the mechanic's corps against their will." She thought about how to describe her home. "I'm from the Azelan Conglomerate, across the ocean. "I live on a farm with my parents and sister." She pulled down the new photo to show her, holding it out.

Colette smiled, she took the photo and looked at it. "It sounds lovely, you'll have to take me there someday." She smiled weakly when Sarah explained her position, "I guess we both ran away from home then." She frowned and shook her head, handing the photo back to Sarah. "They won't be angry for long, wars end quickly and I doubt this one will be different."

She stood up and walked around, sitting back down. "They'll see you walking back home after the war, you'll be able to introduce them to your... friend, Velvet. I might move there after this is all over, find somewhere to relax for the first time in a year."

"I hope so." She put the photo back on the wall, smiling sadly at it for a minute. "Velvet's an Estribad native. It'll be hard to persuade her to move to a new country. Even if it is for me." She smiled when Colette mentioned maybe settling down in Azela. "It's a nice country. Not without its problems, but no wars at least."

"I'd love to show you the farm. I learned how to operate and fix Iron Frames there. My dad, he bought a civilian model to work the land. I'm self taught. He couldn't figure it out, so I did. Figured I should put my skills to work helping with the war."

Colette smiled, "you must be pretty talented then. Besides. She's a soldier, I'm sure she'd be willing to move to another country for any chance to be happy and settle... Me... I don't know what I would do..." She got a distant look in her eyes and shook it off, "so they keep you civilians separate? I suppose it makes sense but I'm still not really sure what I'm supposed to do now. I was a Fenician commando, what do I do here."

Sarah smiled hopefully, nodding at Colette's reassurance. "I hope so." She could certainly hope that things would go as smoothly as she said they would. "Well, being a soldier, I assume you're bunked with Velvet and the others. Outside of combat, I don't think you have many responsibilities. I suppose they might enlist extra help in the mess or the armory, maybe the cavalry horses. I'm kept pretty busy. Even when the Iron Frames and Iron Skins are operational, the Iron Fortress still needs to be kept in working order."

Colette nodded, looking around, "I understand... I suppose that this probably does need a lot of upkeep." She looked around again, "listen... Sarah... I need some help."

She sat down beaide the mechanic and glanced sidelong at her. "There's something I have to do, I can't tell you what, but it's important. I need to find smeje in command, song need who can get me the chance to complete my mission.

Sarah sat up straight when Colette spoke of a mission. "I... I'm just a mechanic. I don't know what help I'll be, but I'll do what I can." She offered with a quick nod of her head. "The only person in charge that I would know of would be Captain Mattis, who you meat earlier. I don't know anyone above him." She placed her hands in her lap, biting her lip nervously.

Colette nodded. "Okay. I guess I just need to see him about this... why do you look so nervous Sarah?" She noticed the way she was sitting on the bed and it made her a bit worried. Why would Sarah be nervous.

Sarah sighed, looking to the door for a moment. "I guess I just worry about not being good enough. For my family, for the ship, for Velvet, and now you. I can't really do much to help you with your mission. I'm just a mechanic." She ran her hand through her hair. "I feel so useless."

Colette wasn't very good with people after a year of keeping herself isolated in shame so she awkwardly put a hsnd on Sarah's shoulder. "Just um... Relax... You're very important, Sarah. It's because of you that your family is still living safely in that farm. Ir's because of you that this ship doean't spontaneously combust and it's because of you that Velvet isn't dead. You're vital to the ship."

Sarah gave a Colette a thankful smile. "No. It's because of you that Velvet isn't dead. You saved both of us remember? You're a hero in my eyes, and definitely much braver than me." She looked down at her lap for a moment. "All the same, I wish there was more I could do. I hate being idle when I know I could be doing more."

She smiled then, shaking her head. "No use moping around about it. We have to play with the cards we're dealt. Velvet taught me that."

Colette put a hand on Sarah's shoulder, "hey... You're doing something. Nobody else can fix that Frame like you. If it weren't for you, Velvet would be long dead by now... It may not seem glamorous, but you're helping more than you think Sarah."

She smiled softly at her and looked around, "been awhile since I've been off the ground... I'n still not a fan."

Sarah could only smile as Colette reassured her further. At her comment about being on the Iron Fortress, Sarah also looked around the room. "Tell you a secret? I'm not really a fan, either. You get used to it, but it is nerve-wracking when you really realize how vulnerable you are. It's even worse when you're expected to keep it airborne so that we don't crash into the Estribadian country side. It's a lot of pressure. Luckily, Daddy always said I had a black thumb." She giggled softly. "Don't worry. You're in good hands. As long as I'm on board this thing isn't falling." She feigned confidence to hopefully reassure Colette. "The Arturia's a good vessel. You don't have to worry."

Colette didn't mention that she hadn't even considered the ship just falling and crashing due to negligence on the crew's part, but she nodded anyways and smiled meekly. "You're right... Thanks." She didn't know how much to trust the iron fortress, or the people onboard. By all means, Colette should have been long dead. She deserved to be dead, alongside her people slaughtered in that massacre.

But, she has a mission to fulfill. It was the last mission she has taken as her home fell, and she was determined to see it through to the end.

Back
Top Bottom