Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sweet Summer Secret { Flash & VenomousLips }

VenomousLips

Super-Earth
"Mr. Collin, this is not the first time your daughter and her friends have caused trouble in our school." The principle stated, hands placed neatly together on his desk. He sat up straight; professionally. Everything about him made me sick.

"Yes, yes, my sincerest apologies Principle Whorluck." My father, like usual, apologizing for my actions. He sat in a chair. The twin chair of my own. Our chairs were a foot from each other, and we were both facing Principle Whorefuck, as I liked to call him.

I was slouched in my chair, my arms crossed. I was irritated. This was a complete waste of my time. I wanted to get out of this hell hole and enjoy my summer and all of its beautiful freedom. But of course, instead, I'm stuck here having to listen to him yap away about my history and my crimes. I got in trouble a lot. I wasn't the type to look it. I was in with the 'popular' crowd, but we weren't like most typical populars. We weren't afraid to get caught. We strived for danger and feared no higher authority.

The principle smirked a bit, pulling out an empty bottle of alcohol from the floor beside his chair. He paused, before picking up another. Then another, and another. Soon there was just short of a dozen bottles. My father looked surprised. It was all an act. He tried to look concerned, but most of the time he didn't give a shit. The principle continued to pull stuff from bellow him. Though, this time it was a couple cans of graffiti and then lastly, my failing report card. "Mr. Collin..." He said calmly. "These habits are dangerous to her future. I suggest getting a tutor for her grades, and finding a solution to this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot suspend Marie-Jane due to school being complete. But if this were to happen again, I would be on the verge of thinking expulsion."

"I understand. Thank you for your concern."

[***]

The car ride was utterly silent. My father was typically calm and we didn't exchange many words. Finally, the silence was broken by my father. "When you get home, you go pack your things and your clothes." He didn't even look at me. He kept his eyes on the road.

"What? Why?" I asked confused. "You're the ones going on a business trip, not me. Plus, it's Tracy's birthday. I can't miss it." I grinned, looking back out the window.

"Well then..." He said, "I guess you expect me to give in and let you stay home for a whole summer. Are you out of your mind? What are you thinking? Drinking like that? Vandalism? Your marks are dropping more and more every term, and on top of it, to place a cherry on the Sunday, you want me to trust you with the house for 2 months? Even better, you expect to get off of this with no punishment?" He laughed at that fact. "Say goodbye to your friends, and you can kiss your summer plans goodbye."

"WHAT!?"

"I don't want to hear it, Marie-Jane! You're staying with your Uncle Ben at his Ranch a few hours from here. I'm driving you down first thing tomorrow morning. You have a few hours to pack."

"Uncle Ben? You're sending me to a farm?" I growled, "You can't do this! What the hell am I going to do at a farm with my uncle for 2 months? I don't need a babysitter, I can handle myself!" I yelled, fairly loudly.

"This is not up for debate, do you understand me? Your idiotic habits have to stop. It is my responsibility as a parent to protect you from trouble and to make sure you succeed in life."

"Oh yeah, dad! You're doing a fucking amazing job!"

Silence fell between us. A loud sigh could be heard escaping my father's lips. He rubbed his forehead before speaking again. "Listen, Marie-Jane." He said more softly, "I know I haven't been there for you all that much. Neither of us have, and because of that and business you never get to see family. You haven't seen your Ben in 9 years. This is a good opportunity to get close to him again and to sort your head out. It'll be good time to get away from all the chaos. He owns a nice ranch-"

"He lives in the middle of nowhere."

"Exactly, but that's what makes it so peaceful. It's quiet. And that's exactly what you need. Be ready by 6 AM. I want to get there by noon."

[***]​

The car pulled up in the driveway. It was a little over a half hour past noon. My father exited the car, quite in a rush. He cussed to himself, complaining about how he was going to be so late. The trunk had popped open, and he unloaded my 3 large suitcases that each weighed an arm and a leg. The door slammed; I had gotten out of the car, and watched as my father unloaded the back. Without even saying a goodbye, he closed the drunk. muttering 'I'm going to be so late' once more before getting in the car and zooming out of the driveway. I stood there... three suitcases by my side in a driveway, helpless and alone. I shook my head lightly. "Bye dad... love you too..." I said under my breath, pretending like I had a normal loving parent. I sighed deeply, and licking my dry lips I grabbed one of my suitcases. I wasn't in the lifting condition. I was wearing ripped jean short shorts and knee-high black designer brand leather stiletto boots. I was pretty short, but with the heels I was 4 and a half inches taller. To top the outfit off, I was wearing an Ed Hardy white tank top and carried a Juicy Couture purse. "This is going to be a long summer..."

“Ben….., Is that you. It’s David your brother” The voice on the other end of the line was different than I remembered, which was hardly surprising since I had not heard it in years. I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was not comfortable making this call, His voice was strained, “How are you Ben, it’s been awhile since we talked”.

I smirked, ‘A while’ it had been nine years, “I’m good David, How are you and the family” I asked out of politeness.

“Oh, I’m fine. So is Martha” he stuttered “In fact we are off on a cruise this summer” he fell silent for a few moments “Marie-Jane…. Well” there was a uncomfortable pause “She’s the reason I’m calling. I was wondering how you felt about taking Marie-Jane for the summer”.

There it was the reason behind the call, I knew that there had to be something for my brother to call me out of the blue like this. But I had expected it to be money, I thought that after nine years he had finally swallowed his pride and was willing to accept the money I had offered him all those years ago.

“I don’t know Dave, that’s a lot to ask” I sat back in my chair and considered his request “I mean it’s not like she even knows me anymore, The last time she was here she was what seven, eight years old”. I quickly did the maths in my head “She must be what seventeen now, There is not a lot out here for a seventeen year old girl. There are no clubs out here, hell the nearest Mall is about an hours drive. She’d hate it”.

I could almost see him squirm on the other end of the phone “That’s just what she needs” he said “Listen Ben, Your right Marie-Jane is not the little girl you remember, And yes her life revolves around the mall and night clubs. Which is exactly the reason I want you to take her”. he paused a moment “Look I ain’t going to lie to you, She’s going off the rails. She’s drinking, partying. Christ half the time she doesn’t even come home at night. Me and Martha are that busy we barely even see her any more”. His voice was strained, he was trying hard not to sound too desperate “I’m hoping that getting her away from that crowed she hangs with for a while will make her see sense”.

I ran my fingers through my hair as I listened to my brother, The things he was describing hardly sounded like the Marie-Jane I remembered, but then a lot can change in nine years. I had a good life out here, the ranch was my escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life I had grown up in. It was peaceful and the thought of a delinquent teen tearing through the place was not one I was keen to make reality.

“Please Ben, you’re my last hope” he added his voice cutting through my thoughts.

For a long time neither of us spoke. “I’ll do it” I finally said putting him out of his misery “She can stay”. I took a deep breath and wondered what I had let myself in for.

I spent most the morning tidying around the house, Airing out her old room. Nobody had used the room in years and her old stuffed toys still lined the shelves on the wall. The room could have done with a lick of paint, but my brother was not one to give me much warning. I had little under six hours to get the place ready. So the discoloured pink walls would have to suffice.

A little after noon I saw the billowing cloud of dust form in the wake of a shiny silver lexus as it sped along the road leading up to my drive. The car looked completely out of place in the rural surrounding so I knew without a doubt that my guest had arrived. I stood on the porch watching as the car drew ever closer. It slide to a halt at the end of my drive way, a good half mile from the house itself and I watched as two figures stepped out. One of them moving to the trunk of the car and unloading three large suitcases.

Stepping off the porch I started walking down the drive to meet them. I had barely made it half way when the shiny Lexus spun around and wheel spined back the way it had come, leaving Marie-Jane standing alone surrounded by cases. I shook my head as I watched the plume of dust as the car disappeared over the horizon.

“I guess your father had more important things on his mind” I quipped as I finally joined you at the end of the drive. I shook my head “Something never change” I fell silent as I looked at you sizing you up. You bore only a passing resemblance of the little girl of my memories and I smirked “And I guess something’s do, the last time I saw you you were this height” my hand hovered around four feet from the ground. I smiled as I stepped past you and easily picked up two of the mammoth cases “lets get you up to he house”.

I waited as you picked up the last case and set off back up the drive carrying the cases as if they weighed nothing at all. Glancing back I suppressed a laugh as I watched you struggling to keep up with me, your heels sinking into the loose gravel. It took twice as long for us to reach the house as it had for me to walk out to meet you. I set the two cases down just inside the door and turned relieving you of your burden as you struggled to mount the porch steps.

Leading the way inside I headed for the kitchen, “I’ll rustle us up some lunch while you get yourself settled in” I turned back to look at you “You remember were your room is don’t you”.

Back
Top Bottom