Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Eye of Azuhaar (Broomhandel45 and Candira)

Being a descendant of the great Lord Azuhaar must have been quite a boon for her husband-to-be to have so much talent. It seemed they both enjoyed nature and music, and that small connection was a place to grow from. Isla sat before him in awe, wondering if he really wanted to go through with a marriage to someone as simple as she was.

Her lips curled into a serene smile as he told her above it the things he enjoyed so much. His expression softened a bit, making him look a little like a child. It seemed that her lord was energetic and had a cute side to him as well.

"I like the woods, too. I study plants and flowers from there. I love learning.more about them and taking care of them. And I don't really know how to use magic or swords, but I like music. I don't really paint so much as I sketch, but being an artist can be expensive." She smiled at him and sat up a little straighter,wondering what else they had in common. But maybe now wasn't the time for it.

"Is there anything you want to know about me?" She asked, unsure of what else she could or should ask of him.

Whatever look he had in his eye was quelled by Ithrel's silent, knowing gaze behind him. There were only a few moments of pregnant silence before Azuhaar cleared his throat a moment, and Ithrel's glacial expression warmed up, ever so slightly. It was somewhat uncanny at just how well Ithrel could read Azuhaar's thoughts by staring at the back of his head, but there was good reason for that.

"Well," Azuhaar sighed faintly, knowing full well what Ithrel didn't want him to ask. "I am simply happy to have you here, my dear," he assured easily, hands clasped around hers. "Your beauty is illuminating to my dark and lonely world, and I could lose myself in those boundless eyes for a very long time," he grinned. "Tell me: what is one thing you have always desired?"

Isla wondered at the expression on Ithrel's face and the sudden tension in the ait. Confused, she tilted her head while the awkward silence stretched out between them. After what felt like several minutes, Lord Azuhaar's normal charm and smile returned. And so did his warm hands.

She blushed at his compliments, the answer to his question flying out of her head. It wasn't like she'd never thought about it, but she was just so lost in what was happening. It took a moment to recover.

"Well, I've always thought that I'd like to help people with my work with plants. I've always hoped..." She trailed off, blushing as she realized what she was about to say. "Well, I've always hoped that maybe I could be of use to you, as well." She couldn't quite meet his gaze, embarrassed.

"I see," Azuhaar smiled, rising up smoothly. "In that case, I know just the thing we can do!" he declared simply. "Ithrel has long been looking for someone to aid her in more complicated affairs, do you think she would be suitable?"

"Perhaps," Ithrel replied. "Her knowledge of the surrounding fauna is impressive, but there are a number of things that we need to go over before that is to be considered." she said honestly, arms crossing. And frankly, using her to get her to warm up to him was a dirty move and he knew it...but he was being the coy little puppy dog in front of his new friend. She supposed she'd tolerate it for the time being, it was true that Isla was very qualified to help, at least.

"Yes yes, easily handled," Azuhaar said, before Ithrel's predator like fingers gripped his cheek and tugged viciously.

"Is that so?" Ithrel purred as Azuhaar hissed faintly, crocodile tears forming in his eye. "My job is so simple that any human can replace it, mm?"

"I, I said nothing like that!" he whined miserably.

"Hmph," Ithrel muttered, letting go of his cheek as he rubbed it faintly with a weary sigh. She was always like this around a new woman...she had so high of standards, but it was the tradition of the village and she would honor that all the same, like he did. "In any case, Isla...make yourself at home here, and we'll discuss the matter further another time," she smiled.

Azuhaar's proposal was quite a surprise. After all, he hardly knew her. Still, working with Ithrel was the opportunity of a lifetime. And it wasn't as though the two of them didn't get along. Isla already helped her tend to her eponymous lilies. She wasn't sure what she would be helping with or even if she would be fit to do so, but she would be honored to take up the mantle.

Her violet eyes looked up at Ithrel in awe...just before she pinched Azuhaar's cheek so hard he started to whimper. Oh, dear. She might have reached out to stop them if it hadn't stopped as abruptly as it had started.

"A-alright then. Ummm, would you mind if I took a look around? I've never been here before, after all."

Of course, she had questions about when she could go get her things and what would happen to her shop, but it was probably not the best time to ask about that now. Besides--she was genuinely interested in spending more time with Lord Azuhaar and learning about her new home.

"I would be honored!" Azuhaar said cheerfully, seemingly ignorant to his throbbing cheek now as he clasped her hands yet again. "My house is now your house! Everything within it is yours as well as mine! Such is the bond of love and marriage."

"He means to say, welcome to the household," Ithrel murmured. "You'll get used to him." Everyone did, eventually.

Isla smiled as he welcomed her in his own way. She didn't really need Ithrel's translation, but it was nice to know that she would be well-taken-care-of here. Someone, it seemed, would always be there for her, and that was a good feeling.

"Thank you. I don't suppose you have time to come with me, do you? I could go alone, but it would be nice to stay together."

Also, she didn't foresee him voluntarily letting go of her hands anytime soon. But it was nice to know that he wanted her here. He seemed like such a sweet person. It made it easier to warm to the idea that she was going to marry a stranger, for all intents and purposes.

"I would absolutely go with you," Azuhaar grinned easily. "It's not very gentlemanly of me to leave you alone in this house, now is it? I will show you every corner, it is practically brimming with a history that dates to the inception of Orkathel!" he proclaimed. "I must show you my study, it is a wonderful place...and very private, I might add." he reminded cheerfully. "It would be nice to get to know you in a more personal sense."

Ithrel's gaze did not seem to be so murderous, but that could have been anything at this point.

Isla was well aware that he wanted to be alone with her, and that idea wasn't unappealing. Ithrel's hostile gaze could be felt from across the room, though. Perhaps Lord Azuhaar's charms would be too much for her to handle on her own, but it might have been nice to try.

Still, she was going to get a tour of this historical home from its owner, and she would get to know him better all the while.

"Thank you. I'd like to get to know you better, too." She knew she was probably getting him excited, but there she asked, moving to stand.

"Well, I am an open book," Azuhaar assured. "I am quite fond of reading, in fact...when you have the collection my family has, why wouldn't I read them?" he chuckled. "You may have to learn some elvish to read some of them, however...but the stories they tell are quite incredible."

"I love to learn new things. Your collection sounds amazing. History and plants are particularly interesting to me. But I like all kinds of books." She smiled at him, pleased that they had something more in common. "I'd love to see your library some time."

"Sometime?" Azuhaar chuckled, hand flipping through his hair. "Why, I'll show you my library right now, my dear...with Ithrel's permission, of course." The Library was everything that they had together, truly...an extended history dating back to Orkathel's inception and when Azuhaar's 'ancestor' laid down roots. It was a chronicle of history in little slice of the world they had found themselves in, and it was not shared openly...after all, it held secrets that many would probably never think of knowing.

"I see no problem with it," Ithrel stated after a moment. "Perhaps it would be a good place for her to learn how to properly handle the Ithren Lillies."

"Excellent!" Azuhaar stated cheerfully. "If she wishes, she can read every book in the library without pause!"

"Really? Thank you so much! This is so exciting." She smiled and squeezed his hands a little, pleased that he was willing to share so much with her. Isla had never imagined she would have access to this kind of library. Plus, she would be able to help Ithrel more efficiently.

"I know I don't have much, but if I can ever return the favor, please let me know. Though, I'm I there isn't much in my little collection that you don't have. I could show you my notes and research, but it night not hold your interest..."

And now, she realized, she was babbling. But she was just so excited to learn and to share. It only seemed fair to offer something to him in return. Besides, she was happy that he wanted to show her the library. He wanted her here and it made accepting what was happening so much easier.

"Now now," Azuhaar grinned, holding her hands up to kiss her knuckles. "One must never discredit their own experiences, my dear...these are the hands that have learned thorugh trial and error, and we would be fools to ignore the experience they have." he purred. So quick to doubt herself, when there was no reason! People like her were the lifeblood of Orkathel, the muscles and brain! Their contributions only added to the beautiful history of his village that he had spent so long to nuture and grow.

His compliments increased the rosiness of her complexion, but she didn't stop looking at him. He really seemed to mean it and it brought her no end of happiness. Isla smiled as he kissed her knuckles, not really sure how to respond to someone who had so much faith in her.

"Thank you, my lord. I will try to have more confidence."

"Excellent!" Azuhaar grinned easily, leading her out of the room. "Now then, let me show you our library...and don't be shy on reading!" he insisted. "I value the desire for knowledge, it shows good promise in everyone for being unafraid to learn!" Perhaps she could learn magic! He often forgot what Ithrel said about humans learning magic, but what's the harm?

Before she knew it, they were off on an adventure through the grand halls. It may not have been a palace, but the mansion was certainly luxurious. She wondered, briefly, if the first Azuhaar had lived here as well. What a legacy this house held! As her lord praised the thirst for knowledge in all humans she had to smile.

"I'm so glad you think so, too," Isla said, smiling brightly. "I love to learn. I'm so excited that you've decided to share your books with me."

Of course, she was aware that he would be sharing much more than just books with her, but it was best to take these things one step at a time. After all, he'd had much more time to consider their new arrangement than she had, and Lord Azuhaar seemed very pleased. She would just ease herself into the same satisfaction he had acquired.

"Not at all," Azuhaar said easily. "Knowledge can be a great boon to many people, Isla...but it can also be a horrible burden at the same time," he mused, head cocked thoughtfully. "Humans seem odd like that, don't they? Sometimes, if one knows too much...everything changes, even if nothing truly has." There was a reason, after all...that they were so secretive. Some things that they didn't need to know were simply not told. "So, it is important that people understand the weight of what they learn...and the reasons behind it."

Isla smiled, pleased that her lord was so thoughtful and reflective. He may have been playing devil's advocate against himself, but it was interesting to hear his thought process. He was clearly trying to look out for her, to warn her that he kept things secret for a reason. She could understand that.

"I agree. Not all things are for humans to know. But I appreciate the gift of any knowledge you might see fit to bestow upon me." She smiled and squeezed his hands a little as they continued toward the library.

"So trusting, I see," Azuhaar purred, his eye glinting mischievously. "So then, how has not some handsome villager taken your hand already? It seems a waste that you haven't been courted before now! Surely you had a hundred suitors, waiting for your every word?" Humans often focused too much on what was around them to see the beauty in front of them, like how this delicate little flower had the thorns of a hard worker.

Sometimes, no matter how long he had been around humans, they still confused him.

Isla was very trusting--especially of her benevolent lord. It seemed he was somehow unaware of that fact. Well, he would come to know it in time, she supposed. She blushed just a little at the look in his eye, not yet used to all of the expressions on his handsome face. His question sort of threw her for a loop. Why hadn't she been married by now?

"Hm? Well, I suppose I was in no rush to be courted. I was more interested in the pursuit of what I could do for others than finding a man," she said, offering her honest, candid thoughts. "I suppose I thought there was no rush. Though I can't say if anyone was particularly interested in me, there were some men who seemed to enjoy my companionship or complimented my beauty. I never really felt as though they sought me out, though."

She shrugged and frowned a little. Had she really never thought of this before? Though she had been on dates, nothing lasting had come of them. She had some experience with men, but it was limited at best. It was hard not to take Azuhaar seriously at this early stage, but she figured it was a light-hearted question and should be met with a light-hearted response.

"Would you have sought after me, then?" she teased. Then again, had he actually come to her she might have had a hard time resisting--even if she hadn't known his true identity.

"Without a doubt," Azuhaar stated in straightforward determination, his expression as thoughtful as it was serious. "A flower that grows with no one to care for it can become the most beautiful flower of all, my dear Isla." he smiled. "Because you have learned to grow strong roots, and thorns...and it makes your petals all the more beautiful to smell and touch," he said, his fingers linking with hers as he bumped the door open to his library with his hip. "And I swear by my name, Azuhaar Wer Ulhar Darastrix the Twenty-Fifth, that I will help you grow into the most beautiful flower of Orkathel."

The study was an immense testament to just how much knowledge both he and Itrhel had together, the bookshelves were quite literally all the way to the ceiling in almost every direction, with a large oak table in the center for reading, and what appeared to be a well-worn globe to accompany it.

Azuhaar's charm was formidable. Honeyed words aside, though, his intentions seemed pure enough for a man who was supposed to marry her. She blushed a little as he linked fingers with her and told her that she would help her grow into the most beautiful flower. His dramatic gesture covered the fact that his metaphor wasn't quite right. It was sweet, though, that he had taken such an interest in her already.

"Thank you, my lord," she said, still unable to let go of the honorific she'd used her whole life in regard to him.

The distance between their positions was only made clearer as he led her into the library. Awed by the sheer volume of texts that filled the room, it took her a moment to regain the ability to think straight. It was an incredible space filled to the brim with knowledge, and she had a hard time focusing on anything else, despite her hand still being linked with his.

"Amazing," she breathed, unable to say much of anything else.

"Yes, yes it is," Azuhaar said with no amount of smugness in his voice. "We are very proud of it, of course...there is a boundless realm of knowledge here, waiting to be learned by a curious mind...such as yours, of course," Azuhaar grinned easily. "This will be yours when we are wed, as well as our bedroom..." he said, his eye glinting with very clear intent as he turned to face her, both hands in his. "And that is a day that I am deeply looking forward to..."

Still a bit struck by the vast resources before her, she stepped a bit further into the room, scanning the shelves already. That he was willing to share such a treasure with her was moving. He hardly even knew her and he already trusted her this much. She was still smiling as he turned to her, proposing the idea of their wedding day...and, presumably their wedding night.

Isla had never really had anyone quite so intensely attracted to her before. It was..new. She could feel a rosy hue making its way to her cheeks as he made it very clear that he desired her for more than just her mind. She couldn't deny that it had crossed her mind...pleasantly so. And she could do a lot worse than the lord of their prosperous little village.

"I'm looking forward to it, too..." She said softly, managing to look him in the eye. "And I'm excited to get to know you...all the different sides of you." Isla smiled until she remembered that she didn't know when that day would come. "Just so I know...when is that day coming?"

Back
Top Bottom