Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cold as Ice (Broomhandle and Lady Athene)

B

Broomhandle45

It was foolish how much ceremony and pomp was required for a corpse, it could not be escaped on how much of a depressing day it truly was. The rain was an unrelenting force, steady enough to be cold and frigid...but not enough to stop the procession from making it's lazy trot down the muddy roads, followed by a hundred thousand soldiers and Cao Cao's most loyal officers.

Some of them openly wept as they traversed the unrelenting road, villagers could only look on in abject sorrow as their Lord had been taken from them so early, so shamelessly. Mauled by a wild animal that lived another day. Dian Wei's sobbing was an incessant blubbering at his right and Xu Zhu's own crying was at his left. And yet, all he could feel was empty and unfeeling...numb to the reality of it as everyone around him spilled out their hearts and souls. He was the ruler of Wei, now. In time, he knew that the officers that attached themselves so strongly to his father would think over their futures and view him with disdain, but choose to stay regardless. There was so much more to think about than leading the precession of his father's funeral.

Or maybe he was just trying to ignore it, his fingers tight on the reins.

"Even in death, I am still compared to you," Cao Pi murmured morbidly, clicking his tongue in irritation. What did this provide to him? Nothing but a bitter taste in his mouth and the realization that nothing he did would ever remove the glory of his father. Why pay respects to a corpse?

"Have some respect for a man better than you, pup." Xiahou Dun muttered. "Especially today, of all days."

"A man no longer with us, Dun," Cao Pi replied in turn. "Do you think my father would have us grieve over his body when there is so much to do? A wild animal is out there and we are sobbing like children over a man who is no longer here to see us respect his corpse so."

However he meant it, it sobered everyone into an uncomfortable silence. It was foolish. It was so foolish and idiotic that his father would die to that rabid dog, he was greater than that. He had aspirations that Pi would meet in his time, and now...now those aspirations were so much smaller.

"Now is not the time to question the methods that soothe hearts and minds, my lord." Guo Jia reminded easily as he moved his horse ahead, sensing Dun's increasing anger with an easy smile. "Master Dun, you must understand that our Lord Cao Pi hurts as we do...only in his own way."

Cao Pi's expression darkened, glancing off with an irritated scoff. Zhen Ji, the only light of his life hummed faintly in thought, shifting on her horse in thought.

"I agree with Master Jia, my Lord." Zhen smiled. "This is for the people, as much as it is for you...now is not the time for arguing, it is a time for mourning."

"Agreed," Dun muttered, however displeased he sounded...it was an agreement that met with silence, filling the air the reminder of their loss. It seemed the road never stopped. But Cao Pi was insistent on this having meaning, a step towards progress.

Luoyang would be the site of the new Wei, and his father would be buried there to give the place meaning. The capital had been left to ruin thanks to Dong Zhuo, but in time...it would be the foundation for an empire that China would never forget. Looking on the ruins of a once great city, it seemed fitting. His father was gone, and even now Cao Pi could see his face, hear his voice. His hands tightened sharply on his reins, and he felt the weight of the world sink down on his shoulders. So, so foolish to have him gone. To never hear his voice again, to never hear his laughter or the conviction he had in his voice. The pain he felt was empty, numbing...cold and furious. He felt nothing, and that nothingness hurt more than pain.

All he could do is accept Zhen's offer to lean her body against his, and watch as Cao Cao's most loyal officers prepared the burial site. There would be...something proper here, something fitting his father. For now, he simply let the cold rain pour down his numb heart.

What in the fuck happened?!

It wasn't that she didn't know the answer. Rather, the more accurate one was it was a truth no one wanted to believe. Yet, it seemed to extend not only to the surviving family members of the fallen Lord and General Cao Cao, but those who had so loyally served him. Believe it or not, there were a fair share of women who risked their lives and fought for - as well as with - this very same man.

Among the sea of mourning soldiers was one of the females. Twenty-three year old Wang Yi was still caught in a world of shock, awe, and denial, topped with a healthy dose of anger and PTSD.

How did this happen?! You were one of his best! Why was this last fray any different than the others?!

Her hands gripped tightly onto the reigns of the horse she was riding, her lip simultaneously biting down atop the lower one. Hard, too. Nothing more than sheer will power was keeping her from drawing blood from her own flesh.

"You're better than this," she muttered bitterly, her voice low and tremulous, if not also slightly livid. So many emotions were swimming through the twin trishula user, coursing through her blood, veins, and somehow even seeming to reflect in her eyes.

... At least she was relatively sure about that much, given how uneasy many of the others looked and swiftly moved away from her.

Then again, it was no secret as to why Yi had asked to join with Cao Cao. She did have the best of intentions. That was a given. However, it could also be said they were for her and no one else, really. Unless, that is, anyone else was holding a secret grudge against Ma Chao. How had it all started, anyway? Her grudge, that was? She couldn't even remember, exactly. Some times, it felt like a blur.

Right then and there, it wasn't that she couldn't see the memory, as it were.

Her eyes were focused on one thing and only it; the corpse of Cao Cao, which was being led away to have a proper sending away.

Why hide the tears? That's what the rain is for; so they can mingle in along with the droplets ...

Because I'm a soldier! I shouldn't need to weep!

And yet, it was for that exact reason that Wang Yi felt like joining those who were openly crying. In the end, despite not being Cao Cao's lover or family member, the man had meant something to her, as well as everyone around Yi. Knowing she had failed the same individual who agreed to let her aid him out ... oh yes. It stung, stabbed, damn well nearly killed her pride. It was a feeling she did not enjoy and the primary reason Yi's body was shaking so violently.

She wanted to avenge Cao Cao. To earn redemption. To make up for what she deemed be to date her worst failure ever.

.... Yes. This was indeed more horrible than failing to kill that bastard, Ma Chao. That incident had been about a month or so ago, give or take. As much as Yi sometimes wished she could forget that fated day, her memory would forbid it.

As such, Wang most definitely remembered Sima Yi trying to cheer her up.

... That hadn't gone well. She rejected his 'sympathy', or was it supposed to be pity? Whatever the case, she tossed his gestures and words back. So, instead, she remembered what Yi had agreed to accept. That came in the form of vowing Ma Chao would die by her weapons and no one else's.

"Damn straight!" she hissed through gritted teeth, her voice now shifting as it steadily caved in. The shakes traveling through her body were increasing, and it was quickly becoming more and more obvious to hear just how close to sobbing Wang was.

One by one, the horses started to stop in their tracks. Yi had been so focused on herself that truthfully, she heard almost none of the talk between the others. The only sounds resounding through her ears were her inner screams and angrily beating heart. For now, this was more than okay with her. Se didn't want - nor need to speak with them. She simply needed to join the others, to cry.

And so, she did.

No longer caring whether the tears were noticed or people simply thought a copious amount of rain was falling down her skin, Yi began to sob, shuddering every now and again as a violent shake traveled through every inch of he body.

"Cao Cao ... "

The name left her lips in the softest of whispers. The volume lowered even more as she purposely hid the next words. Only people who tried to make them out would hear her next say, "I'm so sorry. I failed you ... this is a good part of my fault, my incompetence. I swear though ... "

Her fingers dug into her palms, breaking a bit of the skin as a slow, steady trail of blood began to fall from the palm of her hands.

"I will make up for my failure. One way or another, I will get my redemption ... for my sake and yours ... "

No matter what his retainers thought, life went on without his father. Perhaps it was his strength, or perhaps it was his apathy that made him so focused during the trying time of his father's loss. But as it stood, there was so much work to do that he wondered how anyone could wallow in their misery. Luoyang would be the start of something far greater than even his father could ever achieve, and yet...he understood.

Even as the rain pattered down, even as he made the steps possible to begin reconstruction and kickstart the economy again with the influx of people weary from the trip and eager to settle and relax from the continuing rain. Even as people blessed Cao Pi and said he was as gracious as his father...he couldn't stop thinking about ahead, and not behind. The men that his father had summoned around him were the most courageous and loyal people, that was his strength. Cao Pi didn't know if he had that strength, but he knew he had his own.

Guo Jia had watched this young lord move about the ruins of Luoyang with all the dedication that his father was known for, while everyone else was grieving...he simply walked his road. It was commendable, but his Lord didn't seem to understand or care about how the others saw him...a tricky proposition. But still, there was work to be done and Guo Jia would loyally carry out the orders of his lord in the hopes that something to do would rouse the spirits of the men, so far...it seemed to be working.

But there was one woman who was always a pleasant challenge at times, a rose with many thorns. Her beauty one of the most appealing in all of China -if he could say so himself, which he routinely did...to many women.- Always easy to find, due to the proximity of the people around her avoiding her as if she had a dark shroud on her, which wasn't entirely inaccurate. A perimeter had been established, and it was unsurprising to find the dour woman far and away from the others. Indeed, she had taken it as hard as everyone else.

"Ah, Lady Yi," Guo Jia said cheerfully, the frigid rain seemingly ignorant on his bright disposition. "Master Pi has a task for you if you are able?" A lie, but one that had merit.

The soft but still audible cries from all the other supporters, soldiers, and surviving family members of Cao Cao began to fly up towards the Heavens, all joining and mingling in with those Wang Yi was daring to utter.

I'm so sorry ....

It wasn't usually her train of thought. If anything, Yi would scoff or scold anyone who tried to drown in their own sorrow or sense of pity, particularly should it be directed at themselves. However, this was the funeral of her fallen general. A man she had come to respect and admire. Anyone who knew her well enough would know these were emotions that Wang Yi did not simply hand out. In order to even start getting on her decent side, one had to earn that spot. As such, it was actually quite the impressive feat - when one stopped to think about it - that she actually ended up being as sincere and loyal to Cao Cao as Yi had done.

It would have been more than easy enough for Yi to simply turn her back and pursue her own goals.

But she didn't.

Instead, she stayed beside the man, following every order and set of instructions without ever questioning him. That was how much of an impact Cao Cao had made on Wang Yi, and it was why she was sobbing at all despite the habit not usually being something she would allow herself to resort to.

"Ah, Lady Yi,"

The jovial words quickly caused WAng to lift her head, narrowing her eyes slightly as she looked to see who the voice belonged to. When she identified it to be from none other than Guo Jia, she inwardly scolded herself. It really shouldn't have taken her aback as much as it had. As odd as the man was, he was just as devoted to Cao Cao as she was. Or ... had been, now that Cao Cao was deceased.

"I do hope this is important. It's rather rude to just barge in and interrupt people whist they're in the midst of doing things."

Thankfully, it did seem to be very vital, as hinted when the strategist spoke up.

"Master Pi has a task for you if you are able?"

That made Yi raise an eyebrow. He definitely got her attention. Even before the warrior spoke, Guo Jia would know his lie had already began to work. Whether it was in the exact form or fashion he hoped for?

Only time would reveal that much.

"Oh? Really, now? What does he want me to do?"

Her arms crossed, tucking just underneath her chest as she waited curiously to hear the new 'mission'. Although her loyalty to Cao Pi wasn't nearly as strong as it had been for his father, it still remained, very likely because he was Cao Cao's son.

Otherwise, she would have quickly rejected the assignment, with little to no hesitation.

"He didn't say," Guo Jia said with his usual smile, shoulders settled in a shrug. "Our lord has been rather busy with the restoration of Luoyang, he didn't seem willing to share the details." Busy was one word for it, grieving was another. It was still a few months until the proper burial, as was custom for someone so wealthy and while many seemed slow on getting their spirits raised, Master Cao Pi was already working to set up proper infrastructure and security perimeters. And yet, it was not Guo Jia's place to say anything...the son was far different from the father.

Perhaps some involvement into the plans Cao Pi had already laid would do well to boost spirits around here, starting with the ever beautiful Lady Yi. Xiahou Dun and Yuan had not taken Cao Pi's flippant attitude well, Dian Wei and Xu Zhu would be inconsolable for the time being. It was truly up to him to maintain the threads of this new era of Wei. Thankfully, he was perhaps best suited for the task. However, Cao Pi was not as likable as his father in certain aspects...hopefully that would change.

He doubted it, but hopefully!

When Guo Jia gave her the simple answer of "I don't know", Yi gave him a very irked glare. "Really?" she muttered, "You came all this way to say I'm needed but are ignorant as to everything else?"

To be fair, not everyone gave messengers knowledge for their own reasons. Sometimes, it was related to their professional mindset, or lack of some could argue. Others, it was done as an effort to keep the information concealed from any sets of unwanted ears and eyes, as only certain people were meant to know about these assignments. It was remembering the latter which caused her to avoid doing anything more than scowling irritably at Guo Jia.

".... Fine then. I'll go receive the assignment from our lord then."

Giving the horse a gentle tug of its reigns, she began riding away, though not before offering Guo Jia the most subtle way of her thanking him without uttering the words. A polite nod of her head.

Perhaps the best thing about having an intimidating aura constantly around her was the simple reason of Wang never needed to tell anyone to move. People just did so, albeit usually out of instinct or habit.

Either way, it really helped out, particularly at times like now when seh wanted to speak with one person and only that single individual. Once she was beside said man whilst still on her horse, Yi spke up.

"Guo Jia said you needed me, Cao Pi?"

Down to business, not bothering to bet around the bushes. That was the kind of woman Wang Yi had always been and, quite honestly, would probably remain for the rest of her days. She knew it made a fair share of her 'comrades' - as much as they could be, anyway - annoyed at her. A few had dared to tell her she needed to 'loosen up', and most of those comments were quipped with a glare or worse.

While it was true that Cao Pi was not his father, he did have a few traits. One was a similar enough mindset as herself, as he also preferred to focus on priorities. At least, that had been the feeling she got from being around him over the years. Hopefully, she hadn't misread.

Because if she found out she had been simply approached for a petty reason?

.... Well, the day would only get uglier.

With the patter of rain over his head from his tent, it was something of a soothing sound to quell the ache he had felt in his heart. The more that he started on the plans that he had drafted, considered and knew that his father had talked about at great length, the more the reality had set in harder and harder. His father wouldn't be here to see Luoyang revitalized, to see it be the cornerstone of an empire he wished to start. It was too soon, it felt as if the heavens were crying at the sudden loss if Cao Pi was a man who believed in such things.

And yet, it didn't truly matter what he thought in the end. His father was dead and he was still here, and all he could do was move on.

The husky tone of Wang Yi pierced through his thoughts as his cloudy blue eyes glanced up to see her, ever the focused and calculating woman. He was not immune to the fact that even she seemed to feel the loss of his father. He wasn't sure what to feel about that, someone who had worn hatred and loss like a cloak was still capable of shedding tears? Wonders never ceased in this new era, did they? Zhen Ji tilted her head curiously at Wang Yi, but said nothing. She did not recall her lord requesting her...

Nor did Cao Pi, but he wasn't surprised...Guo Jia seemingly functioned on his own level and simply let others assume. In any case, he did have work for her all the same.

"While everyone is weeping, we need to secure the perimeter properly," Cao Pi said, fingers dragging over a map that had been freshly made. Luo Yang was in shambles, the walls needed buildings needed to be restored...they would need lumber, stone. These things would take time. "Bandits and wild animals have been roaming this city for far too long, and I need someone to remove the vermin from my city," he said. "Scout the outer walls, report back what you find and deal with any pests you see."

Not glamorous work, but needed work. Maybe seeing some men and a proper officer doing something of merit would rouse the spirits of everyone else.

The lack of hearing any immediate reply from Cao Pi or even Zhen Ji only made her irked emotions begin to strengthen. Her gaze remained stoic, staying right upon Cao Pi. It was definitely becoming more and more difficult to stay in front of the new general and vent her frustrations out on the source of what had made her come here in the first place. That was to say the cheeky tactician Guo Jia, of course.

.... Did that little shit lie to me?

The thought made her fists clench slightly, loosening finally when Cao Pi did speak up.

"While everyone is weeping, we need to secure the perimeter properly,"

.... He was right. Deep down, Wang knew that was true. But ... really? Of all the people he chose to do that task, did he really have to select her of all people? The narrowing of her eyes all but hinted her thoughts. A defeated sigh finally passed her lips as Yi lifted her head, closed her eyes, and mentally counted to ten. If this were said on any other day, she would argue without a second thought.

Unfortunately, Cao Pi's reminder about everyone being in mourning was also a true statement. One that, unfortunately, was helping coax her into agreeing with complying with these orders.

" ... Understood," she finally replied, opening her eyes again as Wang managed to calm herself enough to properly answer Cao Pi. "Very well. I'll get on it."

"But don't you dare think I'll like it," she inwardly added, bowing her head and exiting the tent. With a quick, graceful movement of her feet entering the stirrups, Wang Yi hoisted herself back up onto her horse.

There was at least one good thing about everyone weeping for Cao Cao, it seemed. Everyone was occupied in their own sea of emotions, which made it easier than usual for Wang Yi to navigate her way out of the area and move to the outside. Granted, she didn't usually have much trouble to begin with, as the same aura and cloak which surrounded her was indeed worn around her almost 24/7. But now, any chances of ... unwanted encounters from any of the others - namely people like Guo Jia - were decreased even more.

"I really am gonna smack that bastard upside the head the next chance I get," she vowed under her breath, visibly frowning as the outer surroundings came into view.

Already, just from a first glance, Wang Yi felt even more irked.

And .... it only got worse as she worked her way around the walls. At worst, it was everything Cao Pi had already realized himself. There were definitely repairs that needed to be done, particularly to the western and southern walls, where most of the damage had been caused. Aside from that though, there literally wasn't much. There appeared to be more than just the sky and all the other men and women crying for Cao Cao.

If Wang Yi were superstitious enough, she would believe that even the animals were hiding away, somewhere, joining the sky and entire nation of China in crying for the fallen Cao Cao.

... Or at least, that was how it felt, given she failed to see or hear anything. Not a bird. Not even a wild canine in any form or fashion. Literally, there was nothing around Wang Yi. And ... she truthfully didn't know how to feel about that. On one hand, she was further agitated at this revelation. But maybe ... at least for now ... it would be the best.

If only because almost no one is prepared for a fight, let alone a goddamn ambush ...

As much as the hellbent warrior would have loved to see someone - even if not her main target - she understood it was a next to impossible thing to randomly stumble upon. Lest any of the opposing fores had a death wish, no one would be dumb enough to try to voluntarily find Cao Pi or Luo Yang.

So, even though she didn't like it, the lack of seeing anything or anyone around her made perfect sense to Wang Yi.

Still, she circled the area more than once. This way, no one could say she half-assed her job or tried to hurry it up. After seeing the same things she had the first time remain the same, she elicited an annoyed growl before riding back inside, dismounting and moving back into Cao Pi's tent.

"Clear," she replied simply, "There is literally nothing nor anyone around. However, the western and southern walls will definitely need to be fixed. The sooner, the better."

Yi's arms crossed underneath her chest as she waited to hear his response to her own set of words.

Cao Pi considered himself a fairly decent read of people when you were with a man like his father who would often say one thing and mean another, it was something of a requirement to have. His eyes trailed up to her, as impassive as he always was as he regarded her posture and her voice. He settled back at that with a faint sigh, looking out toward the rainy mud and dirt. Zhenji's morose song playing in the distance seemed to both lift people's spirits and ground them in the uncomfortable reality that Cao Cao was gone, taken from everyone far too young to achieve his dreams.

So, with that in mind, he looked back at her with a faint cock of his head. "Good," he murmured after a moment. "Guo Jia set you up to this, didn't he?" Wang Yi was a talented woman without a doubt in his mind. Capable in many ways, but prone to violent mood swings due to her desire to murder Ma Chao. Perhaps at one time, he would find the statement foolish...now? Now, he didn't know. All he felt was the inhuman desire to rip Lu Bu's heart out of his chest and freeze it to nothing.

Something like patrolling the walls was beneath her at the moment, but then Guo Jia was a far better judge of character than he could ever be. Something must have been happening with Wang Yi that inspired him to have her do such a mindless task and interact with someone.

Though her gaze remained firmly set down on Cao Pi, Wang Yi wasn't a woman to ever risk letting her guard down. As such, she was paying heed to her surroundings. The eerie silence she had been forced to listen to moments ago was finally replaced by the more typical sounds. Okay, perhaps not 'typical', but things she could believe. Things Yi could understand. The silence outside had definitely felt anything but normal.

Then again, there wasn't much 'normal' about this day, let alone the situation Wang Yi and everyone else suddenly found themselves in.

Cao Cao - a man so highly respected, admired, and feared by his foes - was now dead. Of course, it would have happened eventually, simply because he wasn't immortal. But no one had thought his demise would come now of all times. And that was what was causing so many people to mourn as strongly as they were, including Yi herself. Now that they were without him, life was already feeling ... different. Odd. Foreign.

And whether anyone liked it or not - and the answer was clearly in the negative, as a quick peek could reveal to anyone nearby - the son of Cao Cao was now going to take his position.

Admittedly though, compared to how he could have started with this new set of duties, he was certainly doing better than Wang Yi thought which ... was good.

Hopefully, it'll remain on a more steady path, she mused, fighting off the urge to roll her eyes at her new general when he mentioned the same man who had set her up for the rather boring and mundane task.

"Yes," she replied in a firm but calm tone, "That's why I specifically mentioned his name upon asking what you wished for me to do."

Keeping her arms crossed and underneath her chest, Yi remained silent for a few moments, giving Cao Pi ample time to say something. When nothing immediately resounded from his lips, she cleared her throat to gain his attention.

"Do you want me to inform some of the others about this? The repairs will be faster if a small but competent group of us begin working on them."

Blunt and to the point; that was always how Wang Yi had been. She wasn't about to change now, not even in front of the new general. She'd attempt to be civil, at best, but that was the most he'd get from her. She would remain the same otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom