Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Nintendo 'Switch'!

I'll admit, it feels like a very needed jolt of life to the console model (emphasizing portability in a way PC games can't be) and it definitely holds my interest more than the WiiU did.

Though I won't place a preorder yet- I want to get a better look at the upcoming library, and see if the portable play is as good as the trailer makes it out to be.

They have plenty of time to work on that part~ hopefully it won't be like the vita remote play which is incredibly crappy x.x

also boobs.. x.x

If they announce a bundle i'll pre-order it..don't wanna buy a console without any games x.x and will it have backwards compatibility?~

Looks like it's using a mobile processor, and likely won't be as powerful as the PS4 or the Xbox. I would question if it'll even noticeably surpass the Wii U in terms of power. I'm also real curious about that battery life, and what kind of sacrifices will be made to keep it above a few hours.

It has everything and nothing to do with graphics. If the console is still weaker than the competition, we have yet another scenario where games moving forward will be harder to port to the Nintendo Console. The third party support will look gook out of the gate, but then you'll see it slow down. Developers won't want to spend the money porting new games to a third console. It'll be another architecture they'll have to work around, and more money will go into troubleshooting which features can be kept and which can't.

Also, all of those "graphics" in the videos they've shown were simulated. None of it was actually running on the Switch. Bethesda has even said they have yet to even officially announce if Skyrim will be on the thing, despite the advertisement showing it. For all we know, they're having trouble getting the new version of Skyrim to run on the thing. You need to remember that the game shave to run stable as a mobile game, while the hardware needs to keep a minimum drain on the battery.

I'm just very skeptical of it all.

Hahaha..what competition? Sony and Microsoft whore out all their games to pc, which is killing the industry..pc has no competetion so why would anyone buy consoles?

That didn't seem to be an issue in the SNES and 64 eras..think you're a bit spoiled here..

What the are you even talking about? Were you under a rock this entire console generation? Did you not notice the PS4 sell gangbusters? Did you not see the Wii U sell pretty much nothing in comparison?

Secondly, you have no idea what you are even talking about. How is PC gaming ruining the industry? How is multi-platform games ruining anything? It only creates more gamers buying more games, which puts more money in the hands of publisher and developers. PC alone has made great strides in giving exposure to independent developers, which only fosters growth in the industry. Ever hear of Minecraft? That cultural phenomenon that has gone on to become one the highest selling games of all time? How about the rapid growth in eSports on the back of popular PC titles?

Video games are now covered by ESPN.

Consoles are as strong now as they have ever been. PC gaming is growing, as gamers seek out a more refined and complex experience. People that just want a box to run games will continue to buy consoles. Not everyone has the funds or the will to go ahead and build a gaming PC.

What wasn't an issue in the SNES and 64 eras? Gaming is an entirely different ballgame now than it used to be, so I can't even imagine why you even brought it up. Those games were so simple and easy to program compared to games of today that it might as well be night and day.

Your ignorance on this topic is astounding.

Mitsu said:
Looks like it's using a mobile processor, and likely won't be as powerful as the PS4 or the Xbox. I would question if it'll even noticeably surpass the Wii U in terms of power. I'm also real curious about that battery life, and what kind of sacrifices will be made to keep it above a few hours.

I'm more curious about how it handles heating. If I play Skyrim on a laptop then it'll threaten to go thermonuclear in just over an hour. Not keen to have that in my hands.

Good point. Why not throw out all of the relevant information? If they're willing to reveal it, then they must have the hardware in a near final configuration.

Nifty idea. I think it'll live or die on battery life, though. If Ninty is wise, they'll give it USB-C support instead of some proprietary garbage charger.

Even as I type it, I realize how unlikely that is. Welp. Here's hoping!

Mitsu said:
Looks like it's using a mobile processor, and likely won't be as powerful as the PS4 or the Xbox. I would question if it'll even noticeably surpass the Wii U in terms of power.

It will probably be comparable to X1/PS4. Maybe a little better. Don't forget that hardware is 3-4 years old now.

I'm more interested in:

Whether people want to devote like... a tablet sized area of space to play video games. I think most people are fine with their phones.

Is there any "computer stuff" in the docking area? How smoothly are these games going to run?

I don't care that much about graphics honestly. At the end of the day every Nintendo console since the N64 has basically existed to get drunk and play Smash Brothers on.

I don't think battery is going to be as big an issue as people think. I mean, even if the thing gets 4 hours tops, that's considerable. Nothing else out there is going to be playing games of this quality while also being portable (sans laptops of course). If you intend to play the thing for more than 4 hours to begin with, I'm not certain why you wouldn't have it docked anyway (Only a long flight o road trip seem to be the outliers here).

Specs wise I expect it'll be a bit better than the Wii U, though probably not considerably so. But to be honest, I don't care. If the system has good games and plays those good games WELL, it could be an old Macintosh for all I care, spec wise.

I will say this. Unless my eyes played tricks on me I could have sworn I saw some lag on the tablet during the trailer. That could kill it for many right there from a portable stand point. I guess lag is the wrong word but frame drops is more accurate. During Skyrim and Breath of the Wild. That might be a bad sign. They should at least have the thing running smooth off the dock if they can help it. If not, at least have a graphical setting option in the menus to help take the load off while on the go.

4 hours is a hilariously optimistic estimation. Can you name ANY computing device that operates for four hours of play time, aside from laptops? My phone (~3000 MAh) does about an hour and a half. My old tablet did 2, but it was rooted and customized heavily for battery savings. My Vita did 3 when it was brand new (and playing PSP games). Maybe a 3DS? But we're talking about something at least as powerful as a Wii U. That's several times the power draw.

I think 2 hours is where I'd put my bet. However, I don't think we've actually seen real working hardware yet - I'm hoping the retail unit adds some thickness to accommodate a bigger battery.

I'm wondering what sort of add ons they intend to use. As much as I love Nintendo, they are all about the 'transformer' aspect by adding a bunch of stuff on (See hilarious 'not even my final form' memes about the original Gameboy). I wonder if they'd ever consider swap-able battery packs. Or an official external charger for when you're on the go. Little things like that. Small 'quality of life' improvements for those who really are on the go all the time.

Damn dudes and dudettes, I really can't wait to see what this thing can really do.

I'm just ready for Splatoon 2 and Zelda. The trailer made me want to throw my Wii u in the trash, so it did its job.

My Wii U has earned its keep and still will. I get plenty of use out of with Smash, Star Fox Zero, and Bayonetta just to name a few. There's still several strong titles I don't have yet and I'll be eager to pick up soon, especially when the rush to ditch Wii U's happens so I can get them cheap.

It'll be fun to play some Splatoon without the Gyroscope. It wasn't horrible it just was difficult at times to get my head wrapped around for a 3rd person shooter, which sounds foolish considering I had zero issues with it when it came to Star Fox. The Wii U's sticks just weren't suited for a shooter either making those less than optimal as well. A great title, just one I wish I could put more time into if the controls were a tad better for me.

Motion control is optional, you could turn it off. I am not looking forward to relearning the game without motion control, but I am a huge fan of the game regardless.

I've played all the games i am interested in to death. I use my Wii u for Netflix now.

Like I said, the sticks on the Gamepad weren't really ideal for shooters. They felt too slippery and not as accurate as I'd have liked, so when I did play I used Gyro because it was more accurate in the end. Just a bit more difficult for me to play. Though to be fair, I didn't play Splatoon nearly as much as I should have to get used to it properly.

Back
Top Bottom