Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Town.jpg

Nestling at the bottom of a valley within the Rocky mountains is a quaint town, only a short drive from the institute. There anyone can find all the amenities they need, such as gas, living, groceries, and entertainment. Many of the staff live in this town, while others merely visit.

Name: Kaige Mayfair

Kaige’s bare feet slapped the ground hard, but all she could hear was her own breathing as she ran faster than she could ever remember. Eternal Peaks had faded in the background behind her, but she kept running, knowing they would be coming for her. Distance was her friend now, and her body’s poor condition was her enemy. Lack of food, lack of activity, was all taking a toll on her. She had gotten off of the main road, knowing the woods would not only conceal her, but she felt comfortable there among the lush greenery. The terrain wasn’t optimal for running barefoot, but she didn’t care. Sticks cut into her feet, and still she pounded them into the dirt. The pavement from the road had not been quite as harsh, but there was a greater risk of being seen if she remained there. So it was worth taking the abuse to her feet for the freedom she now enjoyed.

While it might not seem like she was enjoying freedom, she truly was. She felt more alive than she had in years. Her heart thumped in her chest, booming in her ears, as finally she had gone as far as she could. Kaige stopped to rest against a tree, bending over at the waist, gasping for breath, and feeling as though she would throw up. When she was comfortable to do so, she leaned back against the tree and looked up. There it was. The sky, and this time there was no dome between them. The breeze picked up, and she smiled. This was freedom. She started walking once more, not ready to, but not wanting to give them any time to catch up to her. This time her pace was slower, and she took in the sounds around her. The animals, the wind through the trees, and the smells filled her nose. This was home to her. This was where she felt comfortable. The garden was nice, but it was just a facsimile of this. This was real.

Kaige walked on for hours. The forest began to thin, and she could hear the sounds of the bustling town. ‘I made it,’ she thought. She had no idea how far away from Eternal Peaks she was, but if there was a town, then that meant there were people as well. Somehow she found some comfort in knowing she wasn’t alone, but it also struck fear as well. People were the ones that took her there in the first place. Trusting no one was clearly the plan.

She stepped clear of the forest and found she was close to several buildings. While her clothes remained fine, her feet showed her journey through the woods. Kaige knew she had to find shoes. Otherwise she would not blend in well. Without money that would prove to be most difficult. “Why didn’t I grab her purse too? Damn it.” Kaige continued forward, around the buildings to enter into a park. The buildings were businesses. There was a huge water fountain in the center. Beyond that she could see and smell various food vendors. Covering her mouth, she gasped as she fought back tears. This sort of place was real, and this wasn’t a dream. Moving forward, people smiled as they nodded at her. Some even said hello. Kaige felt as though she were on some alien planet. Reaching the water fountain, she saw money glistening on the bottom of it, but it was the pair of shoes that she saw sitting on the side that took her attention. Some had taken their shoes off and was wading in the fountain for a picture. Reaching over she snatched them up and headed towards the food vendors quickly. It would have been stupid to try and put them on there. They would have seen her. So once she was out of sight of them, she found a seat and put the shoes on. At least now she blended in even better. Her clothes, her shoes, all seemed like a nurse. The ID badge hung from her shirt.

The food smelled beyond amazing, but with no money, stealing it would not be as easy as taking the shoes had been. Her eyes scanned the people as she tried to think of way to get some money. She spotted a man juggling. On the ground, he had a hat that people were throwing money into. ‘If only I had some kind of talent.’ Kaige knew she could sing but in front of all these people? ‘Gotta do what you gotta do I guess,’ she thought as she stood up and headed towards him. Approaching him, she began to sing, drawing the attention away from him. “Hey,” he yelled out. “Go find your own customers lady. You don’t even sing that well,” he laughed, drawing laughter from the crowd. “What,” Kaige retorted. “How dare you,” she seethed, setting one of his objects on fire. Screaming he dropped it and lost control of all the others as well. The crowd gasped looking at her. “Cool magic trick lady! How did you do it?” ‘Magic trick,’ she thought. ‘They think it’s a magic trick. Tricks.’ A smile came over her face. “Well first you take a deep breath, look at what you set on fire, and BAM!” Suddenly all his items were ablaze. “But if you set things on fire, soon you’ll run out of things to set on fire. So you start shaping the flames. Like this.” Kaige allowed a flame to rise from her hands, taking the shape of a tree. “Talk about a forest fire huh,” she teased as the crowd applauded. “How does she do that mommy,” a child asked. “I don’t know honey. Just keep watching.” “It’s for real,” the kid yelled. “No it’s not. It’s a trick. It has to be. Nobody can make fire come out of their hands,” she mused, looking at Kaige. “Yeah kid. Your mom is right. Nobody can make fire come out of their hands. That would make me a freak.” Kaige lifted both hands, flames climbing higher. The crowd erupted. One man took off his hat and offered it to her, along with some money. Soon everyone was throwing money into her hat. Kaige was stunned. They weren’t afraid of her, and she wasn’t hurting them. Eternal Peaks was wrong to keep them all there. They liked her powers.

Soon the hat was full enough for her to get something to eat, and in no time Kaige was face deep in a cheeseburger, savoring it. She seemed so normal among them all. None of them had any clue of the power that burned within her. Rufio thought he had gotten rid of it. Suddenly it was okay to smile when she thought about him and Eternal Peaks. Kaige wondered what his face would look like when he found out she was gone. No one had ever escaped, not that she knew of. Was she the first she wondered. ‘No more experiments. No more rape. No more anything from them. I’m free.’

Kaige threw her trash away. Looking around, she had no idea how to get to the hospital. She had to though. There she would find Dani. Kaige just had to know she was going to be alright. What if Rufio lied, she thought. ‘Well if he did, then I’m just out of this town. I’ll find a way out. I got out of Eternal Peaks. I can get out of this town. Hop a train or something.’ “Hey mister,” she said to a man passing by, stopping him. “Where’s the hospital?” He took one look at her and smiled. “You’re not that far from it,” he started, going on to give her directions. What wasn’t far for him might as well have been miles for the tired girl. She was breathless by the time she reached the hospital. The nurse at the desk stopped her as she entered. “Can I help you?” Kaige grabbed the badge and flashed it quickly to her. “Melanie Watkins. I’m with Eternal Peaks. I’m here to check up on our nurse who was admitted.” The nurse nodded and offered her a warm smile. “She’s on the sixth floor. I’ll call ahead and let them know someone from Eternal Peaks is coming to check on her. Poor thing. I think the work you people are doing is great.” Kaige nodded. As the elevators door began to close, she could see the nurse smiling. “Fuck you bitch,” she told her just before they closed.

When they opened again, the floor was everything a hospital should be. “Mrs. Watkins? Mrs. Watkins? Mrs. Watkins?” It took a moment before Kaige remembered that was her. “Yeah. Where’s Dani,” she asked, not caring of how short she was with her. “Right through here,” she told her, ushering her towards her towards her room. Inside the room machines beeped, and there was Dani, lying on the bed motionless. Kaige covered her mouth as the nurse left them alone silently. “Fuck Dani. I was hoping the bastard lied, but damn. Look at you. You’re more beat up than….anybody I’ve ever seen. Damn it. Why the hell did you put yourself in a position to get hurt like this? You stupid bitch. You shouldn’t have done that. If you weren’t hurt, I’d kick your ass right now. I’d…..” Kaige fell silent as the door opened. A kind nurse came into the room and headed to the other side of the bed.

“I was just…..”
“It’s okay Ms. Lopez. You don’t have to explain.”

Kaige nodded before realizing what she had called her. “Wait. How did you know…..”
“I know plenty. I know you’re Kaige Lopez, but Eternal Peaks knows you as Kaige Mayfair. Please, don’t employ the use of your powers here. It would be a mistake. I mean you no harm.” Kaige had started to advance around the bed as she spoke. Even though she had told her she meant her no harm, Kaige did not believe her. “I am not with Eternal Peaks. I have no desire to help them in any way. I only desire to help heal Daniella. Placing her hand over her body slowly they began to glow. She looked over to Kaige, her eyes soft and warm. “My name is Aliya. I am a fallen angel Kaige. Daniella will heal. It will not take as long now.” Kaige was stunned, unable to speak. “Listen to me carefully. Do not linger in town. They will come for you. Get out of town Kaige Mayfair and never look to this place. Do you understand?” Turning around she reached inside a cabinet and pulled a purse from it. “Inside you will find money. Use it to get out of town. Do not stay here Kaige. It is not safe for you. The consequences of being caught once more will be disastrous for you. Your escape will soon be found. Your time is running out. You must leave now and hurry.” Kaige shook her head, “but I’ve got nowhere to go.” Aliya stepped closer, here blue eyes shining. “Anywhere will be better than where you came from.” Kaige took one more look at Daniella. “Do you know if they’ll catch me? You know so much about me and all.” Aliya shook her head. “I only see flashes. You came to me the second Daniella arrived. I saw your escape. I do not see anything else with you. So I bid you a safe journey. Now go,” she urged her. Kaige turned and left, clutching the purse. A fallen angel. Someone Eternal Peaks did not know about. If she could survive outside of the institution, then so could she. Yes. It was possible, and she was going to make it.

She passed the desk without speaking to the nurse. Instead outside she asked someone where the nearest airport was. She also inquired about a train station. It was close, and Kaige knew she could travel easier aboard one. Heading in that direction she set out to catch a train.

As she made her way through the town, Kaige became aware of so many things. First and foremost, her legs ached. It had been a long journey, but Eternal Peaks lay in the mountains that loomed, higher than the flat land she now stood on in the town. All she had to do was look behind her to see the mountains, home of the place that had held her for so long. She paused and looked back taking in the landscape. The mountains were beautiful, kissed by the snow. They looked so peaceful, the place they gave a secluded home to giving no hint of the terrors it held. In fact, it wasn’t even visible. It wasn’t as if they build the institute on the side of mountain, ominous and yet sterile to all who viewed it. No. They hide it, trying to and sweep under the rug the terrible deeds done behind those closed doors. ‘No more,’ she thought before starting on her way towards the train station once more.

She could feel the food she had consumed before quickly being burned away to nothing as she continued on her way. Kaige didn’t want to stop for more food though. She was sure she had enough left for her performing before, but putting distance between her and the institute was her primary goal. She pushed on. Her heart was pounding. Here she was walking around, and all these people she passed didn’t know a thing about her. To them, she looked like a nurse. They had no idea what she was or what she could do. To them, she was….normal. Normal. It was a thought that made her smile. People returned her smile and asked her how she was. Kaige never answered any of them. She was in awe. No doctors were here to beat her. There were no walls to keep her in. This was life.

She passed by a store selling televisions, and she had to stop. Memories of watching cartoons as a kid came flooding back. Kaige giggled. A woman’s voice spoke. “And take a look at this video. A local unknown magician has gone viral after a performance in Aspenglen Park today. Take a look as she performs seemingly impossible feat with fire. That’s right, fire.” Kaige’s eyes widened. “Oh shit,” she mumbles, her hand coming up to cover her fist. “I’m….viral. Viral? What the fuck does that mean?” The video showed her earning money, fire coming from her hands. For the first time ever, Kaige got to see what she looked like when she did this. Tears formed in her eyes. The crowd applauded, some dropping money in the hat that was thrown down by a man. Her hair was blowing in the breeze, and the look on her face was unlike anything she had ever seen. She looked….happy. “Look at her. She’s amazing. Local magicians that we interviewed were baffled by her performance, but they all had the same answer. A magician never reveals their secrets.” A tear rolled down her cheek that she quickly wiped away. “In other news,” a man on a different television said, “ a patient has escaped from Eternal Peaks Psychiatric hospital. Citizens are warned to be on high alert. This is a sketch of what the patient looks like. A drawing of her came up on the screen. “Oh shit,” she said, a bit louder this time. She looked from the screen with the drawing to the other television, still playing her video from the park and back again. “Really? They can’t see it? You’ve got to be kidding me?” Kaige shook her head. “You people are fucking nuts.” The woman’s voice spoke up once more. “One more time, take a look at this talented young lady. Incredible. Her gift with fire is unbelievable. Look how the fire seems to literally come from her hands. It’s indescribably beautiful to watch.” Again a tear traced down her face as she raised her hand to the screen which had frozen the image of her standing there. “Simply beautiful.” Kaige had never heard anyone refer to her power that way before. Seeing it for the first time this way and hearing this woman’s words were overwhelming to her.

A hand tapped her on the shoulder, and she jumped, turning, ready to fight. “It’s alright.” It was the woman from the hospital. “What the f…..I mean….what are you doing?” She tilted her head. “I could ask you the same thing.” Kaige was speechless. “It’s alright Kaige. Come. I rent a place on the outskirts of town. Walk with me. I’ll take you there. You can sleep there tonight. You can’t stand out in plain sight like this. “ She flashed her eyes over to the screen. “hear that? They know you’re gone now. Search parties will come. If you’re standing on the street, you won’t stand a chance. The people in this town see Eternal Peaks as doing a good deed. They see you as in need of help. They don’t see the beautiful magician. You’re dangerous to them.” Kaige pursed her lips before speaking. “How do you see me?” Aliya smiled and took her hand. “Scared but finally free. You’re not dangerous Kaige. They’ve made you this way. Things are not always as they seem. Now come.”

Together the two walked the rest of the way to the small place just out of town. Kaige took a shower, a nice, long, hot shower. She washed away the last of Eternal Peaks. When she emerged from the shower, there were clothes laid out for her, and she could smell food. Aliya had cooked, and the food was set up on the balcony for her. “Come. Sit. Eat,” she told her. “What are you doing here,” Kaige asked her. “I like to help people.” Taking a seat, Kaige told her, “If they find you, they’ll take you.” Aliya nodded. “I know. I’ve been around here for centuries, in and out of town. I’ve known about Eternal Peaks for a while. Tomorrow you will leave town, and so will I. Our time here is over Kaige.” Aliya noticed her starring at the mountains. “They’re beautiful,” Kaige told her. “Aye. That they are,” Aliya agreed, taking a seat. “I can’t believe I came from there. I’ve been locked up since I was 8,” Kaige told her, forcing a weak laugh. “I’m….scared. I don’t know where to go or what to do. My parents….I don’t even know what happened to them. They might not even be alive anymore, and do I really want….to kill them?” She shook her head. “I don’t think so. I….just want to live. I don’t want to ever….go back there again. I left someone there. Someone that I don’t want to imagine what they’re going through right now. I left someone there that….I don’t know,” she said shrugging her shoulders. “I hated that place and what it did to me, but some of the people there….they don’t deserve to be there.” Aliya nodded. “Do you want to go back for anyone?” Kaige shook her head slowly. “Yes, but….I can’t. I can’t risk….being caught. My own aunt works there, and even she won’t let me out. If I get caught….I’ll never see the light of day again. If my own family would do this to me, what will the staff do to me? My own parents left me. My aunt won’t let me out, and this….is family. What would the staff do Aliya? I don’t wanna know,” she quickly added. “I do NOT want to know.” Kaige picked up her own cup and took a drink. “I do want to know one thing though.” Aliya raised her eyebrows. “What does going viral mean?”

Kaige had filled her belly full. Showered, wearing clothes, normal clothes, she now walked down the street, peering into the man shops and passing by people. People. It was still so odd to her that they didn’t want to hurt her. To them, she was normal. Kaige was a far cry from looking like the patient she was at Eternal Peaks. Part of her still expected to see Rufio or Rupi coming at her, ready to grab her and haul her back to Eternal Peaks. That wasn’t the case. They weren’t coming. Aliya had said they would, but they were not here. Surly they were not going to simply let her go, but Kaige was at a loss as to why she hadn’t seen anyone.

She paused at a water fountain, watching people throw money in and taking pictures. They seemed so happy, smiling, carefree. With each coin was a wish. Kaige had stopped making wishes a long time ago. Maybe it was time for another one. Though she didn’t have a coin, she closed her eyes and made her wish. When she opened them, she saw a limo pulling up on the other side of the street. The driver came to the back door and opened it. A woman began to emerge, and Kaige’s smile faded. ‘No,’ she thought. ‘I’m seeing things. I’m so scared they’re gonna come for me that I’m seeing her. That can’t be. Can it?’ She continued to stare at the woman, waiting for her to notice.

stana-katic-castle.jpg

The hunt for Kaige
Tags: Open

She was possibly the first one downtown. She knew authorities were looking but no one had except perhaps a handful of guards had made it down to search yet. Pulling up near the city's center park, a small area with plenty of green and a fountain, she stepped out and looked around. Where would she go? Damn I have to find her first or they'll kill her. Cmon Kaige, where would you hide?

She kept turning in a circle until she stopped short staring at the fountain. At first she thought herself deliripus. It couldn't be that easy. But her eyes didn't lie. As the driver pulled away she stepped forward, slowly but deliberately. She was worried Kaige would see her and bolt. Candice had even thought about it, getting out of her heels and wearing comfortable flats now that she could run in. As she got closer to the fountain she finally spoke up, but kept her voice calm, so none of the people around them would suspect or panic.

"I was hoping I'd find you," she called out, "Can we talk Kaige? Please?"

She needed to get the girl into an alley or something. She couldn't drag her into a car in the open daylight and she didn't want to start a panic by pointing her out as the runaway patient. All that would do was send authorities straight to them, not to mention EP. And all of them had been given orders to kill if threatened.

"Please," she repeated, holding her hands open at her sides so Kaige could see she was unarmed.

We meet again
Tag: Candice

Kaige watched her approach, never taking her eyes from her. She wasn’t that stupid. Somehow it felt different seeing her now without the uniform and confining walls of Eternal Peaks around them. Candice didn’t look as menacing as she had made her out to be in her mind since finding out about her position with the institute. Her eyes swept up and down her body before she forced a smile. She was biting back her true emotion. To cry would be too easy, and Kaige didn’t want to give her that. Still her eyes were red and wet. It wouldn’t have been hard to guess she was on the verge of breaking down into tears. “Board of Directors,” she spoke. Kaige slowly shook her head. “You lied to me Candice Whitehorn. Yeah. That’s who you are. You’re not aunt Candy anymore. Aunt Candy would have truly tried to help me. Aunt Candy wouldn’t have lied to me. You know what hurts me more than the lying? The not knowing. Why Candice? Why did you lie to me? Take a look around,” she began, gesturing with arms wide open. “Do I look like a threat? Does anyone look like they’re in danger? Look at me, really look….at me. I look normal Candice. Know why,” she asked raising her eyebrows and bringing her hands to her chest. “Because I am. I’m just able to do something most people can’t. Does that make me a freak that deserves to be where I was? No,” she replied slowly shaking her head. “But you could have reached out to me and helped me. Instead you lied to me. It’s like you wanted to keep me there. Why? What did I ever do to you? My mother, your sister,” she pointed at her, “was one of the ones that left me alone in the forest. They took me there to have fun, and then they left me. It was never about fun. It was one hug lie to get me someplace so they could leave me. They knew I wouldn’t be able to find my way home, and believe me, I tried. I really tried.” Her voice finally wavering as she looked away from her not wanting her to see her tears. “I won’t let you take me back. I’ll die here first. I’ll make sure they kill me Candice, but I’m not going back there. It’s not fair. I’ve missed most of my life. I deserve to live Candice Please. Let me live. I’m leaving town tomorrow or whenever she says it’s a good time. I don’t know which to be honest,” she admitted, her gaze shifting to the ground. “That place has already taken so much from me. Don’t let them take any more Candice. Be the aunt you once were. Help me. Walk away. That’s all you have to do. Just turn around and go the other way.”

As she lifted her eyes to meet Candices’, Kaige’s expression was one of pleading hope. She wanted to reach out and grab Candice, but she feared she would try to cuff her. Kaige thought she might have them hidden, tucked somewhere behind her back. Part of her wanted Candice to suffer. After all, she had lied to her and kept her locked away when she could have had her released. She only sighed as she took a step closer to her. “It’s up to you Candice. Do you prove that you’re still my aunt, the aunt Candy that I loved as a kid, or do you prove you’re Candice Whitehorn, member of the board of directors? The choice is yours. You can make up for all the hurt you’ve caused me by just walking away. So what’s it gonna be?”

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Central Park
Tags: Kaige

Her first words hit like a brick in Candice's stomach. She wanted to speak up but there was no pause for the older woman to chime in, Kaige on a rant like no other. She was glad no one was in hearing distance of them. The few people around were wandering the park or had walked away, leaving them alone beside the fountain.

"Do I look like a threat? Does anyone look like they’re in danger? Look at me, really look….at me. I look normal Candice." the words sunk heavy into Candice's mind. Of course she looked normal, her niece always had. But it was the danger lurking under her skin Candice worried over, not the girl controlling it. But Kaige couldn't see that, see that the things Candice did weren't out of hate but out of love. But standing there, looking at her in this environment, Candice contemplated if she had made the right choices. She had done what she had to to protect her, hadn't she? How had she gotten so far off track? How had it come down to people hunting her niece because she felt the need to escape a place that obviously hurt her. Candice had been making excuses for years now on why the doctors did what they did. When would she stop?

It hit her like a train. The realization she had done something wrong. All this time she had thought she was doing right by Kaige, even if the redheaded girl couldn't see it yet. But her desperate words stirred something within the older woman, and her recollection of that fateful day reminded Candice of when this had all started, of the reason she had done what she had done. But she had chosen wrong, and she needed to fix things now.

"C'mon," she stepped forward, grabbing Kaige's hand but she didn't yank her towards the street, instead pulling her further into the park, "The park ends near the bus station. If you grab a one way ticket to Los Angeles, you can grab a bus to go anywhere from that city. To Mexico, or Canada, or take a plane and move to another continent. You just need to leave before they find you. Hurry Kaige."

She pulled her along, but she didn't go too fast, not wanting unneeded attention. If she left her niece and walked away the girl would likely be dead by morning. They had some of the top trackers coming down to search, and there was no way she could hide. But if Candice could help it, she'd give her a running start, and pray she make it.

"Don't tell my I'm not your aunt," she snapped as they continued, "Don't tell me I don't love you girl. I did all of this for you. I made the wrong choices, but I did it to protect you. But your old enough now and in control. I should have seen that, but I made excuses as to why I kept you there, why I couldn't let you out. To be honest, I think I had even grown afraid of you. The reports I got about you, the way you handled yourself. I didn't see a girl who could go into the world and not cause chaos. And yet, here you are Kaige. Grown up, and not burning down buildings, or starting fights. I was wrong. Maybe you can handle yourself."

They reached the end of the park and could see across the street the bus station shop, with an Open sign flashing in the front. Candice pulled her niece along, getting them across the street and into the ally beside the bus station.

"Please stay here. I'll buy you a ticket, but you shouldn't be seen. Authorities know to look for you, so I'm sure they told the bus station and train station."

Squeezing her hand Candice let go and rushed inside, buying a one way ticket to Los Angeles with a fake name. The lady behind the till didn't even ask for I.D, assuming Candice was who she claimed she was. Thanking her she stepped over to the ATM in the shop and withdrew money, then quickly moved back to the alleyway to find Kaige, handing her the ticket and a envelope full of twenties and fifties.

"There is a thousand dollars in there," she explained, "That's my limit to withdraw but I can send you more money. Get a cell phone, make sure its prepaid, you don't want to be traced. I know you don't know what that means, so just go to a convenient store and ask for a prepaid phone. They can do it. Call this number-"

She had written down a number on the envelope with the money on it, "- its my personal cell and I will answer, and send more money, alright? But you have to go. You have to disappear."

The bus pulled up on the street and Candice knew it was now or never to tell her the one thing she had always been keeping from her niece. gripping her upper arms, Candice squeezed and looked Kaige in the eye, "If I had ever known what they were planning to do with you, I would have stolen you from them much earlier."

Taking a deep breath she continued, "My sister stopped letting me come over after you were four, almost five. I loved visiting you, but suddenly I was never allowed. My sister would make excuses, but I could hear something was wrong. When she told me they had something planned to make it all better, I thought she meant a vacation. And then you were...gone. Like that."

Her throat restricted as she remembered it, "I was able to get them to tell me where you were. They said they had lost you in the woods, but they weren't going to look for you because they assumed you were dead. I couldn't believe it. To leave a child out there, and not care if they made it home. Your uncle wasn't around to help me, so I went out alone. I searched for you for days Kaige, I even hired people to help. And we did find you, after a couple weeks. Holed up in a cave, eating berries, looking so scared. It made me hate my sister so much, for letting you stay out there. I took you in, and no child you won't remember any of this. I took you in and I cared for you, like you were my daughter. I raised you for a whole year, I home schooled you and let you be a kid. You were so bright and happy at my house."

Tears were welling in her eyes but she fought them back, "You were happy and so was I. And then it fell apart. You grew angry one day at me and you burned your favorite teddy to ashes. You cried for hours over it and blamed me. I realized your powers were linked heavily to your emotions, so I tried to cheer you up, but it backfired. You were just so mad at me for that teddy. You only got more angry as the days went on, drawing away from me, wanting nothing to do with me when I reached out. You'd get yourself into such a fuss and burn your toys, and then cry over them, always blaming me. One day it got too much for both of us. I yelled. I didn't know what else to do. And you got so angry and upset you hit me in the chest with a fireball. Forced me into the hospital by an ambulance. You cried all the way there, saying sorry over and over for what happened, promising me you'd do better. But I knew then that you couldn't control it, not all the way. One day you might hurt someone you love and not be able to fix it."

She was shaking, trying not to cry, "I made a lot of bad decisions then Kaige. I met a doctor who said he could cure you, make you a normal girl. And I believed him. I just wanted you back, without worry of harming anymore people. But he kept you for years, and I couldn't get you back. I had you illegally after all. If I had tried to take you, it would have landed me in jail, and even when I tried to take you back, he wouldn't allow me. He made sure of it too, with one of the drugs he tested on you. It wiped your memory of the last few years till the day you were abandoned. you were lost again, pushed back to that bitter girl who had been left. And he used that, as they all have. I couldn't just take you, and I had already lost you so I joined on to be one of his funders, hoping I could help, hoping I could make sure he did no harm. But all it did was lead me down this rabbit hole to today. I'm so sorry Kaige. I'm so very sorry I can't fix all the wrongs I did, but I can make this one right. Just get on the bus. No one will know, okay sweetie."

"Well...one person will know."

She whipped around, pulling Kaige behind her as her eyes went wide. It was Miller. And he was pointing a gun...at Candice.

Past Revealed

She moved, grabbing her hand, and pulling her along. As she did, aunt Candy spewed the truth. Kaige looked around, checking to see if there were any guards. All she saw were the happy people from the town. Absorbing aunt Candy’s words, she nodded, making mental notes. ‘Canada. I’ve always wanted to go.’ She wanted to stop as Candice told her she had done all of this for her. ‘The way I handled myself,’ she thought, her eyes widening. ‘Of course I handled myself that way. They were hurting me.’ It was clear she really did think she was doing the right thing, but as they neared the edge of the park, what struck Kaige the hardest was the admission that even she had become afraid of her. Kaige had no reason to hurt her. The few memories she had of her were all good. Then it all seemed like she was just gone. There were no more visits where she pretended to catch a firefly. She no longer came over to fresh baked cookies she and her mother had made for her visit. It was just them, her parents, that she remembered.

She pulled her into the darkness of the ally. Kaige was afraid, of course. There was no witnesses, and she feared what her aunt might do. Despite her words, she couldn’t let go of her distrust for her. She had kept her there, lying about being able to help her recently. That was a fact that was still fresh in her mind. Now she was suppose to accept her words as the truth? Kaige found that difficult to do. Still she nodded as aunt Candy left her there. For a moment, she simply starred in the direction she went. Then, as if a switch had been flipped, she began to look around, listening carefully for any sound that would indicate someone was coming. Kaige was ready had anyone from Eternal Peaks stepped into the ally, she would have torched them. ‘I’m not going back. I’ll die first, but I’ll take as many of them with me as I can.’ Her hands were warm and tingled.

Candice was lucky Kaige quickly recognized her. Had it been just a little bit darker in the ally, she would have ignited her upon her return. Lowering her hands, she breathed a sigh of relief. All of this was happening so fast, too fast. She took the enveloped from her. Her fingers brushed through the money as she told her what to do with the cell phone. The words prepay cell phone left her confused. There was so much she had missed out on. Kaige had a lifetime to catch up on it though, and now she was beginning to see she had Candice to both blame for that and to thank.

The bus pulled up. It looked like a behemoth to her. Kaige swallowed hard as she folded the envelope in half. Candice grabbed her. Her brow furrowed as she looked at her, wondering what this was all about. Candice was quick to begin to answer her unspoken question, as if she had read her mind. The reason was made clear as to why she stopped seeing her. It must have been her powers that made them keep her away. They must have wanted to keep her safe. Then she spoke of them telling her they lost her in the woods. It sounded so casual, as if they had lost a book, but she wasn’t a book. She was their little girl. A living, breathing, feeling child that they brought into this world, and they just left her. No, they lost her. Kaige could feel her anger beginning to boil, but she knew this was not the place to release any of it. Her eyes grew wet and red. She looked at the bus as Candice continued, talking about things she had no memory of but desperately wished she did. Kaige actually smiled as she mentioned she was happy there. It was a time, a memory, she would have given anything to be able to recall.

She nodded again, wiping away a tear that had found it’s way from her eye as she finished. The voice cut through her like a blade. “What the fuck,” she whispered. No doubt he was from Eternal Peaks, but Kaige didn’t recognize him. No matter. He recognized them. People or no people, she was ready to torch this man. He clearly was a threat, but that would exposé them both. Kaige knew she couldn’t just get on the bus, and if she ran, he might shoot her. If she set him on fire, the entire town would see, and after her viral video appearing online and on the news, it wouldn’t take long for some of them to recognize her. “What do I do aunt Candy,” she pleaded. “I..I can do it. I can get him.” Her gaze intensified as she glared at him from behind Candice. “I can burn you,” she yelled at him. “I’ll set you on fire and kill you! Go away! I can do it, and you know it! Otherwise you wouldn’t be here! I can make that gun so damn hot it’ll burn your hand! I just wanna go away! I’m not going back there! I’ll die first….and I’m taking you with me!”

stana-katic-castle.jpg

Dark Alley
Tags: Kaige, Miller

This was not how she foresaw it ending. Not with Miller, at least. The gun cocked at her heart, his eyes deadly serious as he waited for them to come up with an excuse, and plead. Instead Kaige fired insults at him, trying to get him to back down. All it did was anger him further, making him snarl at them.

"Your not getting on that bus kid," he snapped, "You know you can't escape us, and you just won't admit it. But cut the crap. You take a step in the opposite direction, I will shoot this bullet into your 'Aunt Candy's' chest. No more Aunt. No more people who care about you."

"You son of a bitch," Candice snapped, holding Kaige behind her. She dropped her voice, speaking only to Kaige, "I want you to run Kaige. Find the friend you mentioned and get to a train. Get out of here, you hear me? You have that money, use it wisely. I'll...I'll distract him."

She let her niece go and stepped forward, arms out wide, "You've been dying to shoot me for months haven't you? Wanted a go at me?"

"Shut your yapping Candice and give over the girl."

She stepped closer, close enough to lunge. And she did. Candice ran at him, and his gun fired but missed, hitting the ground near her feet. Tackling him she wrestled for the gun, the two throwing punches and kicks, struggling to get the upper hand. On the street people were fleeing and screaming in panic, having heard the gunfire. In seconds the street was emptied, save for the three of them in the alley.

"Run Kaige RUN!" Candice yelled as Miller yelled after her, to get back. The minute Kaige was out of sight Candice sneered.

"You'll never find her you asshole. She's gone. Long gone."

"And now so are you."

A gunshot rang out, loud and clear. And then silence.

And this is it

He threatened Candice, and Kaige could feel her hands getting warmer. Even her face began to glisten from the sweat. She was warming, preparing to fight when she heard her aunt’s words. “Run,” she whispered, questioning her. “No way. I’m not leaving you. I…..” Her words stopped as Candice stepped forward, moving towards him. There was no stopping her. She was headstrong, stubborn. It was a trait that seemed to pass down through the family, and she had inherited too. It was too late to try and stop her though. Candice was already so close to him. If she ignited him, she might be hurt.

Kaige jumped as she leapt towards him, fighting. Her aunt was like a wild animal protecting her young. That’s exactly what she was. The gun fired at some point. “Aunt Candy,” she cried out, terrified she had been shot. Kaige caught a glimpse of her aunt’s face as she fought him, and then she heard her yell for her to run. Nodding Kaige knew she had no choice.

She turned and began to run away as quickly as she had fled from Eternal Peaks. Down behind the buildings she was putting distance between them. She had no idea where the train station was or where she was going. All she knew, all she cared about was leaving that man behind. Her fingers clutched the envelope tightly. Already she was panting, nearly crying out with every breath. The shot rang out, like a clap of thunder booming, bringing her to a halt. Her face frozen as she imagined what had happened. ‘Move,’ her mind screamed. ‘He’s coming!’ She turned and headed through another ally, seeking to find people, a sign, anything that would take her to the train station. Going back to Aliya was out of the question. That would take him right to her if he did find her. No. She was free, and Kaige wanted to keep it that way.

Finally she spotted a taxi. Grabbing the door, she threw it open and climbed inside. “The train station! Hurry! Just go,” she shouted to him as she reached inside the envelope and showed him some money. “Alright,” he told her as he started to drive away. Kaige looked out of the window just in time to see a couple of black vans stopping and well armed men climbing out. The police were there as well. They were looking and pointing in the direction of the gunfire. Some of them headed on foot in that direction. Kaige held her breath as they drove away from them on the other side of the street. They were so close to her, and she knew at any second if they spotted her, it would all be over. The taxi kept going, and she turned in her seat watching them. “Some crazy escaped from the local asylum. Got a thing for fires too. Haven’t seen this many cops out in a long time. Nothing exciting ever happen around here,” the driver told her. “Yeah. Looks like some exciting is going on now.” The driver laughed. “Yeah. So where you headed?” Kaige turned around slowly. “Canada.” The driver looked up in the rearview mirror at her. “You got family there?” Her eyes met his. “No. I’m….alone now,” she said, biting back her tears. “Sorry to hear that. I’ll have you at the train station in a few minutes. Just relax.” Relax. That was something Kaige had done very little of her whole life. She leaned her head back against the seat and looked out at town lit up and alive at night. So peaceful. So normal. She wanted that. The question on her mind was would she ever have it.

full-wentworth-miller-with-hair-1365806430.jpg

Dark Alley
Tags: ~

There she was.

She looked peaceful like that, her eyes closed, her mouth set in a slim line. Like she was asleep, resting peacefully.

Blood was everywhere.

He staggered to his feet, clutching his side. The bitch had put up a fight that was for sure. She had caught him with broken glass, stabbing at his hip. If he hadn't gotten to gun, she would have probably swung for his throat.

So much blood.

Did normal people bleed this much from a gunshot to the stomach? He'd killed plenty before, but they never bled this much. Or maybe he hasn't seen the blood. why did he care now? Because she had been a collegue for years? Perhaps a friend. Well not anymore.

And she had let that bitch get away.

He stumbled to the entrance of the alley, trying to spot the girl. But she was gone it seemed, and the cops were already swooping down on the scene. Soon black vans from Eternal Peaks joined the mess, questions firing at him from every angle. It had been self-defense. She was harboring the patient. Yes, she had gotten away.

So...much blood.

While the ambulance was on its way Miller stood at the edge of the alleyway, refusing to look back. He didn't need to see what he had done. It didn't phase him, or did it? He wasn't sure. All he knew was his resolve to get that little bitch who had escaped his grasp had grown tenfold. When he spotted the new Head of Staff, Dr. Vera, and their security consultant, Arek, Miller shuffled to them, pointing in the direction he had seen her go.

"She ran that way," he explained, "Took about five minutes for me to get past the alley to look for her and she was already gone. Candice was trying to give her a bus ticket. The patients trying to flee the town."

The Sad Scene

The driver kept going, soon leaving the scene behind them. Though there was distance now, Kaige could still here the gun as it fired ringing in her ears over and over again. She was upset, but she was still in control of her powers. There was no other alternative. If she lost control now, she would reveal herself and possibly injury someone. Right now the only person she wanted to injure was him. He had threaten to shoot her only family she had left, and for that, Kaige hated him. There were memories there that had been taken from her, and now this man wanted to take away the only semblance of family she had left. Of course she was still angry with Candice, but at least Candice was making an effort to fix things. ‘I’ll call her when I get settled. Yeah. I’ll tell her a place to meet me at, and she can come. We can start over, after I bitch slap her a couple of times.’ Kaige smiled at the thought.

The cab came rolling to a stop. After the driver told her how much she owed, Kaige paid the man and climbed out. The train station was busy. According to the posted schedules on the monitors, a train was due in soon. Good. She didn’t care where it was going as long as it wasn’t Eternal Peaks and she was on it. “First train outta here,” she told the man behind the counter, sliding him the money. “Any luggage to check,” he asked. “Why do I wanna do that,” she asked him. “I already paid for my ticket. Do I have to work too to get on the train?” He gave her a curious look. “No miss. Do you have any luggage you want checked before it gets put on the train.” Her brows raised as she finally understood. “No. I’m sorry. It’s been a long, long, looooooong day.” He gave her a warm smile. “It’s alright.” He slid her ticket back to her, and she quickly snatched it up.

As she made her way through the station, weaving around the people, she stopped as she heard the female reporter speaking. “The sight in town is a gruesome one. First an escape is reported from local asylum Eternal Peaks, and now a woman lay slain in the street, the victim of a gunshot. Reports are sketchy at the moment, but witnesses say she was speaking with a woman, possibly the escaped patient. Perhaps she was trying to get the patient to return with her. When another person showed up on the scene, a gentlemen, the situation exploded, and now one is dead while the patient is still missing.” Kaige stood there, frozen in place, her lips parted as she breathed. A woman. It was a woman who had died. He shot her. She clutched the envelope tighter now, knowing it was all she had left of her. ‘No. It isn’t true. It can’t be. It’s not her.’ Kaige was unaware as the first poster on the wall burst into flames. One moment a colorful advertisement about a band coming to the town to perform was there. The next, raging flames climbed the wall. People gasped before shouting, “Fire!” Kaige shook her head. ‘It isn’t her. It can’t be. It just can’t be.’ Another poster, and another, and another. People were baffled as they ran away. Kaige reached out, grabbing a woman as she neared her, on her way out. “Do you have a phone?” The woman looked at her shocked. “Do you have a fucking phone,” she screamed, shaking her. “Yes,” she told her, her hands shaking as she pulled it out and offered it to her. “Call this number,” Kaige told her, showing it to her. The woman only wanted to leave. The flames were growing, and she was afraid. “Call it now,” she yelled, forcing more posters to burst into flames. The woman dialed, her hands shaking. “Here,” she said, giving Kaige the phone. As she took it, she released the woman, listening to the ringing. When a voice picked up, there was a pause. Kaige took a deep breath, her tongue tracing her bottom lip before her teeth captured it, biting in gently before she spoke. “You killed her you bastards. Make no mistake someday, somehow, I’m coming for you….,” she paused. “And I’m gonna kill you all. I’ll burn every inch of that place to the ground. I will not forget this, and if you come after me….,”another pause, “I’ll die fighting you, but….I’m gonna take as many of you with me as I can. So stay the fuck away from me. I’ve got nothing to lose. I have….no family left. You made sure of that. So stay away from me, or I’ll kill you. So if you wanna die,….come after me. In fact, I beg you to. Catch me if you can.”

Tag: Arek, Rupi​

Arek had his eyes closed, looking for that calm center that he had, that point that he could use to fuel his hunt. It had served him well over the years, and he'd need it now. This subject had been a part of the insitute since before there really was and institute. The files were extensive, a lot about her mental instability. But then, he assumed that the good doctor riding with him knew more about that than he did. He felt a faint heat source in his pocket, adn snapped his eyes open. He dug around, found it, adn pulled it out. Not much to it really, just an ancient silver coin. There was a stamp on it, showing a man's head. Tiberius. The coin had been a rare thing, hard to find, harder to steal, but worth it. Still, the heat was unexpected. I would normally only warm up when it was close to something considered unholy. He blinked a moment, filing that fact away, and sliding the coin into a pocket under his body armour. Something needing investigation later.

The SUV came to a halt as an ambulance was unloading EMTs. Arek raised a hand, and he and the team piled out. It only took a moment to see Candice on a stretcher to make Arek satart wondering exactly what the hell was going on here. Miller was there. That was even stranger really. He heard the barked orders, the directional information, and shook his head. A mess to say teh elast, when upper memebrs of the board might be actually killing one another. The fallen phone that rang had Arek swooping to lift it up. He recognized the case. Candice. A quick move answered it. The starty of Kaige's speech made Arek smile. It was going to be fun. He looked back at Rupi.
"Here. Talk to her. You know her better than anyone else here." He tossed the phoen to her. Arek looked in the direction that Miller had pointed, and smiled. "She's west. Mount up, we're moving."
"How do you know?" Victor asked. Arek pointed to the west. A column of brewing smoke was rising.
"Good indicator. She losing her shit, and there's smoke." He looked to Rupi. "Try to keep her taling, talking screaming, whatever, it'll slow her down, distract her." He said quietly. The SUV was on the move again, heading fast for Kaige.

"Do we have a kill order?" Victor asked.
"Negative, we have kill option, but I'm overuling it. Bring her in alive. She's more valuable that way, both for research, and as a symbol. She might have run, but you can't run far enough, or fast enough to escape for long." Arek explained. THe men nodded. Werapons were checked. They were going in soon. Arek let out a breath. His calm came over him, and he looked at the people fleeing the now burning building. This was going to be fun.

Arek led the team to a side entrance, one that was not being flooded with people. A hard boot got the door open, and the men flooded into the building. Heat was intense, and visibility was limited. That had ups and downs. Teh men put in teh small respirators, biting down on a bar that llowed them to get around ten minutes of air. This had to be fast. They moved in.

Following the heat was easy, as was some of the shouting that was still happening. It sounded like Rupi was still giving him some time to move in. He pointed to two men, waved them on, then others to go in different directions. He readied teh dart gun. It was short ranged, he had to get close, and survive being that close. His men would have to keep them busy. THere was a burst of gun fire, adn Arek just hoped his men followed the order.

Two gaurds saw Kaige, saw where she was standing, and opened fire. BUllets chewed up the pavement at her feet, sending small shards fo it into the air, distracting, painful, but not overly dangerous. They started to run, spreading out, and shooting again, trying to pin her down.

Name: Rupinder "Rupi" Vera
Tag: Arek, Kaige.

[Arriving from First Floor – Front Doors, post #20]

In this game of cat and mouse, information was just as useful as muscle and capability. Rupi had both, but she could not reveal her true nature without exposing herself and thus ending up in the same situation as Kaige. That left her only one avenue of approach, which was information. Through her phone, she had emergency access to many sources of data. The police, the fire department, local hospital records and even the privacy of Institution staff as well as government records. She knew of the relationship between Candice and Kaige, so tabs into the woman’s recent history such as finances and movement were available to her. She knew of Kaige’s relationship with one of the nurses and so became aware of her visit to the local hospital. Nothing was hidden as her grey eyes scanned and absorbed all the facets of available information.

But what intrigued her the most happened very recently, according to the data. Candice and Kaige had been in close contact with one another. What was said or done, Rupi could not know. But she did have a lock on the GPS signal of Candice’s phone. She shared it with Arek and the other drivers and soon they arrived at the scene. Candice was being loaded onto a stretcher but what was more surprising was the presence of Miller. “What’s going on here?” She whispered to herself, staring out the window at the scene. Then Arek called her name and a phone was thrust towards her, taking it with a nod at Arek’s instructions. She knew the game and would try her best. Slowly she put it to her ear and answered.

“Hello, Kaige.” She said at first. “Do you recognize my voice, Kaige? It’s Dr. Vera. Rupinder Vera. You killed a guard. Sam Mitton. Do you remember? He had a family, you know. One he would never see, Kaige. But I guess that means nothing to you, having gotten your only family killed as well. Candice is dead too, Kaige. Another man is dying. How many more lives must you put at risk. Come home, Kaige. The world does not understand you. They don’t want to understand you. They see an object, a dangerous weapon, not a person. Come back to the Institution, Kaige. Come back and we will help you. Otherwise, I cannot be responsible for your actions.”

Rupi felt silent, letting Kaige speak, scream, or threaten all she liked. As she listened, she did a quick check on Miller's condition through her liaison with the hospital staff, anxious over his status. Losing two board members would be just as terrible as the risk of losing a patient to flight or death. When the tracker had an accurate report on her exact location, she tapped Arek’s shoulder and brought it to his attention, before cutting the call abruptly. It was no longer in her hands now, her face set as she listened to the men talk about kill orders and decisions. She let out a soft sigh of relief when Arek denied it, appreciating the man’s willingness to risk his own life for the greater cause. They needed Kaige back, otherwise their Institution would take a severe hit in prestige and repute if they were seen gunning down a runaway patient.

As they arrived at the building, Rupi hopped out as well, clicking the safety off on her firearm though she remained behind cover by the vehicle. She would adhere to Arek’s wishes and just observe, not getting in the way. She watched the gunfire open up at Kaige and prayed to the Goddess that Arek would keep his word…

Or that Kaige surrendered. Surely she would see she could not win this fight.

Tag: Rupi, Guards, Arek

She couldn’t understand why the people were rushing out so. Sure the place was on fire, but it was just….fire. The flames that climbed higher and higher, licking the ceiling were nothing to her. She had seen it a million times coming from her own fingertips. There was no heat. It wouldn’t burn her. Had it been possible, she would have burned her own body to nothing years ago ending her suffering at Eternal Peaks, but it wasn’t possible. She wondered for a moment what it must feel like to these people. Hot water she could feel. Flames that could reduce a building to rubble, flames that could a person by burning them from the inside out, never gave her an indication of heat whatsoever.

Flames, just like the ones that burned Sam’s lungs to oblivion, could not harm her. It was the words on the phone that made her think about Sam, what she had done to him. At first, the voice on the line did not register with her. Even when she heard the name, it still took a moment before she grasped who she was talking to. “Rump….Rupi,” she slowly responded. She listened to every word Rupi spoke. Already she knew Candice was dead. The reporter had said so. This somehow confirmed it, making it more real to her. She laughed softly as Rupi finished. “This world..doesn’t understand me? How many more lives must..I..put at risk? For a doctor, you sure have your facts fucked up Rump Rupi. I’m not the one putting anyone at risk. It’s you doing it. It’s the..intuition..the place you think I should call..home. Truth is..I had a home..once. I had a whole other home..a whole other life..I will never..remember. That place is not home. That place..is hell..and I’m not going back,” she paused, her eyes traveling up to the ceiling as the flames painted across it now, over her heard. With one breath she added, “Alive.”

The phone went silent, and Kaige let it slip from her fingers to the floor beneath her. The clash of people coming in through the side door drew her attention. Guards. They had found her. There was no time to go to Aliya. There was no time to do anything. This was happening here and now. Kaige resolved herself to die right where she stood, but she would not go alone. They fired upon her, fragments flying up in the air. Her body temperature rose, sending the temperature around her soaring higher. The bullets continued to fly at her, but something changed. They never made it to the ground at her feet. Instead they began to explode the closer they came to her. Kaige began to realize they couldn’t touch her. She was far too hot. The air around her was far too hot. A weak smile spread across her face. Her features spoke of elation. She began to move towards two of the guards, seeing their faces as they watched her come closer. Without a word, she lifted her hand into the air and drew back. As she thrust her palm forward, flames engulfed the two with such force they were thrown against the wall, nearly buckling it, before their corpses fell to the floor.

Again she smiled. “You..shoot..at me,” she said, turning her gaze to two more guards. “How..dare..you.” Her elbows bent, her palms facing upwards, briefly, before her fingers curled into fists. With a loud scream, she threw her head back, sending a section of the roof flying as the flames stretched up to the sky. She was surrounded by air so hot the very air would scorch a person’s lungs. Her skin glistened from the sweat that now covered her. “You should have let me go.” Fireballs erupted from her, crashing into the men, sending them through the wall. She could hear the screams from people outside. ‘Good. Let ‘em scream,’ she thought as she turned her attention to Arek. Her fingers were clutched so tight her knuckles were white. “All I wanted..was to leave. They killed my family..and now..they’ve come for me. I won’t go back. Not alive.

Tag: Rupi, Kaige, Arek​

There was a warning light going off near Arek, letting him know that things were getting entirely out of hand now. The air was gettign too hot for a person to be able to breathe. The respirators were the only reason he and his men were still active. He could see some of hte puffs in the air, bullets melting, boiling, vapourizing away before they came anywhere close to her. When two men went through the wall, Arek knew that the game was different than he'd expected. He'd not thought it'd be close to something like this.

It was everything he could have wanted.

Arek got himself moving, getting out of sight of her, breaking access. He'd seen the pictures of what she'd done to teh guard back in the Institute. He wasn't sure how close she'd have to do to ignite air int he lungs of people, or something that lethal. Still, the pendant around his neck was feeling cold, letting him know that despite the power of what was happening, this was witchery. And that gave him a chance. The amount of heat being thrown told him that the charm wouldn't save him from a directed attack, pure fire, but it would protect him from attempts by Kaige to ignite him internally. He needed a new approach.

She was far too hot to approach normally, and he knew that if the bullets were puffing off, then the darts would be no help at all. He needed to cool her down. Fast. He smiled as he saw the best answer to his problem. He lifted a fire extinguisher from it's rack, checking it, and nodding. CO2, cold as anything, and exactly what he needed to do this. He couldn't get close enough to her to hose her down, but the beginning of a proper plan came into his head, adn he moved.
"Check her advance. Slow her down." Arek ordered.

One of the other guards pulled a flash bang from his shoulder, and and pulled hte pin, rolling it across the floor at Kaige.
"Flash!" He shouted as a warning. The grenade went off with a blast that blew out the few remaining windows of the building, lighting the room up with a white flash that would obliterate anyone looking at it for a few cruicial moments.

Gunfire erupted and Rupi felt herself jerk a little at the noise, cheeks flushing with a hint of shame as she realized she probably was not as cool headed as she thought she would be in combat. It had been a long time since she had heard the discharge of firearms, the violent noise jolting her body before she quickly sighed and recomposed herself. She was still by the SUV, watching from behind the door as two guards advanced on Kaige, firing at her feet. Rupi only had a moment to set her lips together with an exasperated sigh when Kaige blew the pair of them through the wall with a fireball to their chests.

Conventional tactics would clearly not do here. What was Mundae up to? She heard his commands over the radio and brought her own sidearm to bear, though she did not fire at all. Instead, Rupi gazed around for him as the other guards tried to occupy Kaige's attention, advancing on her as instructed by their leader. He clearly had a plan, but what? Then came the warning. Flash!

Rupi shut her eyes and ducked, managing to save her vision though her hearing went dead for a brief moment as she opened her eyes and looked. Seeing the coast was clear, Rupi quickly darted towards the building. If they overcame Kaige, Rupi wanted to be there to ensure nothing…excessive occurred between her and the guards.

In her pocket was a small vase, with a vial and a needle. Rufio’s wonder drug, which would render Kaige neutralized for a short time while they got her back to the asylum. All she needed to do was reach her unopposed, whether she was beaten by Arek or caught unawares.

Kaige slowly lifted her gaze up to the ceiling. The flames were now piercing through the roof, allowing a sliver of moonlight to slip inside. She could see the smoke billowing away, much like her, escaping into the night, but the smoke was not met with the same resistance she was. No, it was allowed the passage it sought. For so long she had felt her powers were just as confined as she was. Now, in this place, she was letting go. The relief flowed through her, filling her with an almost orgasmic feeling. She was whole and yet still broken. There was no reason to hold back anymore, no reason to comply or hope for a better future. It wouldn’t come. It would never come. Even if she threw up her hands right now and surrendered, there was no turning back. She had killed five guards and lost her only family left. Kaige had nothing left to lose.

She heard the word. Flash. It was loud, drawing her attention back down to the floor beneath her feet. Her brow furrowed as she studied the item rolling closer and closer to her. For a moment, she wondered why it wasn’t melting from the heat. It rolled in slow motion. Time itself seemed to slow as it clinked its’ way towards her until it stopped. She found it a curious thing there on the floor. This was suppose to stop her, to scare her? It was just an object. It didn’t scream at her or fire bullets. There was nothing flying through the air trying to cut her to pieces. It just laid there.

And then….

The sound was deafening. Her fist unclenched as she doubled over at the waist and covered her ears. It was an effort that came too late. Her eyes were open in shock at the brilliant light she had just seen before the darkness took over. Now there was nothing. No sight. No sound. Just emptiness. Kaige screamed, unable to hear her own voice. Still she felt the vibrations in her throat, aware that loud shrieks were emanating from her vocal chords.

She stumbled forward one step, then another before standing upright. Her hands left her ears and went out in front of her instinctively. Feeling for something, anything, but there was nothing but air there. The unsettling feeling that someone was just there, watching her, began to consume her. Her lips were parted, but Kaige didn’t speak to the person her mind convinced her was there. Instead she began to send flames dancing from her fingertips. Even though she couldn’t see, she would still strike out, hoping to kill them all.

Arek swung into motion, seeing Kaige on her knees, praying to however might be paying attention to him that might show him a moment of favour. He blew out a breath adn lobbed the extinguisher, sliding it across the floor. It slid past Kaige, teh metal starting to glow under the heat radiating off of her. Arek had his long trusted pistol out, the black metal graven with sigils and runes all along it, each marking inlaid with metals of various types. So much time, so much effort went into this weapon. And it had been his ally for so many tasks.

He fired one shot, the bullet whipping past Kaige, already glowing from the ehat, but still warded enough from all that had been laid into the gun, enough to still have enough force and mass to pierce the heat weakened metal. The extinguisher went off, blowing it's payload of CO2 right into Kaige, dousing her with the chilling gas, and Arek felt the temperature drop off almost instantly. He moved at a run, lifting another extinguisher, and hosing her again with it before drawing out the dart thrower, adn firing it into Kaige. Gregor's wonder drug was thundering in her veins, working to suppress her gift. Arek wasn't leaving it to chance, and jabbed at Kaiges head witht eh extinguisher. The metal rang with the impact, and Arek slapped a normal tranq clip intot he dart thrower, adn shot her again, another trio of darts hitting her, this time high on the torso.
"Nighty night Shiva." Arek said calmly.

And then it was done.

"Clear! Victor, get her out of here! All units, evac, now!" Arek roared, a section of ceiling coming down near him, and he put action to his words. He went out the hole in the wall Kaige had thrown two of his team through. The outside air was almost chilling after being in that inferno, and Arek spat out his respirator. He checked each man. One was already dead, the other just in rough shape. Another casualty to chalk up to Kaige. The woman wasn't a witch, not really, not from what he'd seen. She was a force of nature personified. There was more to her than just being a witch, having this gift. There had to be. Arek had fought and killed dozens of witches, many with training and gifts. Kaige threw more power around than anny of them, by a long shot. Maybe she'd started with just the witchery in her blood, but there had to be somethign here that science alone wasn't seeing. Maybe it was time to call in a favour or two.

Kaige was tossed intot he back of hte SUV, cargo now.
"Load up. Let's roll out. Doc, you riding with us, or the patient?" He called to Rupi.

Rupi peeked around the corner just in time to see Arek fired one shot at a dazzled looking Kaige. For a moment her eyes went wide with shock, thinking Arek meant to kill her in cold blood for what she did to two of his compatriots. Instead there was another flash and a cloud of white smoke blew up all around Kaige, engulfing her in the smoke. She felt the temperature in the room drop significantly and in that moment, understanding his plan. When he injected her with a tranquiller, Rupi knew it was safe and rushed forward, checking Kaige’s vital. Stable and steady.

With the others, she helped evac the runaway patient in into the back of SUV, climbing in beside her. “I’ll stay with her. Make sure your wounded are taken to the hospital as soon as possible. We don’t need any more needless deaths.” She told Arek as she fitted in beside Kaige, firearm placed on the ground where she could easily grasp it. She also set the medical case down, with Rufio’s own drug for dealing with Kaige. If she regained consciousness before they reached the Institution and tried to fight them again, then she would inject her. Until then, she leaned over the redhead with a concerned expression, ensuring her vitals did fall apart or she began to crash. So far, so good.

“Good work, Mundae.” She stated quietly as they drove back to the Institution. Everything turned out to be a success. The media would believe it had just been an unstable mental patient with a flare for arson. No one suspect it was an actual witch. The fires would be put out and any losses compensated by the Institution. She did not look forward to filling out those claim files…

She felt the blast. The floor beneath her vibrated. Though she couldn’t see or hear, Kaige knew something had happened, and she also knew it wasn’t good. Her hands still waved wildly, throwing fire wherever she could until….

Cold. So incredibly….cold. It instantly brought back moments of the generators in Cell Block C. Quickly her body began to heat up once more. She could feel her skin tingling as the change that always took place within her started once more. It was quickly and abruptly halted as yet another blast of cold blanketed her. She cried out, only able to feel her vocal chords vibrating once more. Sound had to be taking place. There was no way the rest of the world was drawn into this silence. It had to be the flash she had seen. She was sure of it.

Her hands trembled, the fire flickering once, twice, three times before finally dying. Trembling fingertips reached for someone as she desperately tried to ignite the fires once more. She knew it was her only defense, and even now, amid the cold substance that covered her, much like her senses, it too was failing. She wanted to speak, but all that came out was a muddled, “NO!” Two letters, one syllable, and even that was too much for her in her panic stricken state.

The pain came quickly, like teeth biting into her. Kaige reached for it, but her fingers never found it. She could feel it. The sensation was strange to say the least. Burning, intense burning, began to course through her body. She balled her fingers into a fist, growing angry, wanting to lash out. She extended her fingers, reaching out, sending all her rage down her arm and towards her fingertips, and was suddenly..stunned. Nothing. No tingling. No brushing of the flames against her fingers as they danced from her. She felt..nothing..except..the burning.

Before she could scream at her frustration, before the fear could take hold of her any further, she felt it again. The biting, slicing pain, but this time as she reached for them, she felt something different taking over her body. Tired. Weak. Kaige suddenly found she couldn’t remain upright at all. Though she wanted to, she felt her body falling forward, landing against the floor. Her eyes were open, they had been this entire time. All she had seen was the darkness that came after the bright burst of light. Now her eyelids slowly closed, and Kaige felt nothing.

She would continue to feel nothing until the gentle movements of the van nudged her from her state. ‘A car ride,’ she thought, fighting to cling to consciousness. Her hand slipped from where it had been resting on her stomach until she felt the body next to her. A soft smile played on her lips. She tried to speak. Her throat was dry, and her voice was low. With tender ease, she squeezed the hand of the woman next to her. “I had..a bad..dream..mommy.” There was a pause, but her hold on Rupi remained, before she spoke again. Again her words were soft as she whispered, "Don't..leave..me." Her hand feel limp as Kaige fell into oblivion once more.

Arek nodded as Rupi hopped in the back. That was fine by him. As the team was loaded, they rolled out, heading for the institute. Arek tapped his ear piece.
"Sonja, you there?" He asked.
"Aye sir, orders?" Came the ready reply. Sonja was a trooper, he'd pulled two acquisitions with her, even offered to take her with him when he went freelance. But she was a loyalist, in it for the cause, not just the money. Probably why Black Hand had promoted her, sent her here. You could trust someone like that, believe in them.
"Prep a room for our returning subject. B Block. Something with some space in it."
"Yes sir. Should I make the usual arrangements? Re-education?"
"Might need some backup. Rouse Jimmy and Gary, get them to help, and have them remain on site. And then...take the rest of the day off."
"Yes sir, thank you sir." The line went dead. Vicotre leaned forward in his seat.
"Need my help as well sir?"
"Of course good Victor. Be just like the stories you've heard about me. We'll make sure this girl is...suitably shown that this was all a bad idea." The smile on Arek's face did not show anything of mirth, it was the look of a well fed predator.

[Exit to Eternal Peaks, Cell Block B]

Rupi was surprised when she saw Kaige flutter to consciousness. Had Gregor’s drug worn out so soon? She was already reaching for the drug she had brought, when her hand was suddenly grasped by the red hair. The action surprised Rupi, thinking it may have been a precursor to some sort of violent action, until she heard Kaige whisper to her. What she called Rupi…startled her greatly. Mommy? Was Kaige relapsing into some old, buried memory in her head? Did she see Rupi as some sort of mother figure? It truly shocked her, for though she had tried to be kind to the patient, she had never really taken on a motherly role with her.

“Shh, just rest. It’ll all be over soon.” She simply replied in a soft voice, grey eyes watching the others in the SUV in case they picked up on this conversation. It did not matter though as Kaige quickly slipped back into unconsciousness. Rupi could not promise that she could stay with Kaige. She had an Institution to run, not to mention other patients who needed her. Besides, she knew Kaige was in for some…correctional behavior modification, the fancy term for outright punishment for bad behavior. Yet still, Kaige’s words left a strange impression upon the steely faced doctor, who leaned back with a sigh as she stared out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom