Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

On the Twelfth Night... (Madam Mim and Xana)

Arnulf was correct that they had never heard of the songs he knew. One was some new number from Pachelbel which he had supposedly been made privy to before it had even been finished. A few others were very clearly German pieces, deep and somber-sounding as they were, but Viola and Olivia listened politely, applauding after each number. Finally Arnulf seemed to have finished and bowed his head humbly, leaning the bass carefully against its stand.

"I admit I'm not terribly accomplished," he mumbled, "but I am fond of it, and it's something."

"It certainly is," Olivia agreed with a light smile. "You two shall have to play together some time, won't you darling Viola?" She nudged her wife gently. "But you've played so beautifully for us. Surely we ought to offer you something in return?"

"Perhaps that drink?" His lip practically quavered as he smiled.

"Oh! Oh yes!" She called the servants with a small bell at hand to ask for chilled wine and water before turning an embarrassed look to her guest. "Please forgive me, Reichsfreiherr--"

"Arnulf, please, since we are soon to be family." She was sure that he thought the look he gave Viola was sly and charming.

"Arnulf, then," Olivia said after a brief, surprised pause, squeezing Viola's arm in a gentle reminder not to do him bodily harm. "Please forgive me. My condition, you see...it's quite common for women to become forgetful."

"Not at all," he waved away her concerns. "Congratulations and God bless you and your husband both. It's a small price to pay for such a wonderful burden, don't you agree Viola?"

Back
Top Bottom