Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A story from Lagertha

Lagertha

Devilishly Wicked
Be gentle. Going to share a story I worked on long ago. All thoughts and ideas are original and mine, so please don't take them or use them without my permission :] Thanks!

Chapter One

The river flowed red, like it had so many times before. Bodies lined the top of it, some floating, some sinking, but the deed had been done. The once beautiful sapphire color of the waves had been tarnished, turned into a deep dark red from the amount of blood that had been spilled, and people stood on the edges of the river watching the red spread. It moved, swirling, eating all the blue in sight as it cast it's deep darkness onto the lake that so many relied on to sake their thirst. Women and children were sparred it seemed, watching the bodies of their loved ones; sons, fathers, husbands, protectors float with no end above the waves.

The on lookers looked at the bodies for hours, some days, some weeks, as they began to decay. Slowly, they noticed with much ease, creatures from below the waves that had survived surfaced with their small hands, pulling the bodies below. In replace of the bodies they took, a flower was left. The flower looked like glass, sparkling in the mid day sun, pink petals that curled at the end with long shafts that hung out, little orange dots in the center that danced in the breeze as if waving to those who remained, those who watched.

By the time all the bodies had been removed, not many women were on the edges of the water over looking the red sea. Instead, the red sea had been covered with so many flowers, that not much of the sea could be seen anymore. What was more curious was the places the flowers danced over, absorbed the red color, changing the color of their petals to a deeper darker pink, almost purple. And the water itself that was once red? The red had gone from it, returning the sapphire coloring of the waves as if the event had never happened.

"I don't understand." A little boy had looked at his mother, holding tightly to her hand as they had walked on the edge of the river, watching the flowers float into the lake to clean it. The boy's blue eyes fixated on the flowers, pondering how something below the sea could look so pretty. His mother stopped, turning her back to the boy in front of a fruit stale. The boy, eager to get a better look at one of the dancing flowers, pulled his small hand from her and stumbled to the edge of the waters. He knelt down, reaching out his toddler arm to try to grab a flower in his palm, and his blue eyes met with the waves. His blue eyes widened, at the sight of eyes staring back at him through his reflection. Startled, the creature disappeared, scales and all to the depths. "Wait!" The boy cried, wanting the creature to come back.

"What is is Arrion?" The mother returned from the stale, new fruits in basket as she snatched the boy away from the water. "Leave the flowers to do their job. Blessing of the sea monster to us." The mother spoke caution, and the boy looked at her puzzled. Something in the creatures eyes had told him she had seen something in his eyes, and he was curious what the creature below the waves had seen.

"What are the sea monsters like?" The boy asked, his mother holding tight to his arm as she dragged him back to the market. Arrion was a boy of seven, his mother a women of thirty. They had both watched their family slaughtered, thrown into the waves of the lake that the 'sea monsters' had cleaned. "Why are they monsters?" Arrion wondered, kicking his heels and turning up dirt as they went.

"They used to be peaceful beasts before the river turned red." The mother commented, telling her son a story she had told many times before. "We would play out flutes, sing to the sea and they would surface to dance for us. Great human like beats with tails like fish." His mother smiled, remembering a better time before madness had struck.

"Did you know any mommy?" Arrion wondered, curious as a cat, if his mother had ever talked to one. He looked up at her, wild and curious. "Are they mean now?" His mother sighed, looking at a stale filled to the brim with rugs an elder woman had crafted by hand.

"I used to know one." The mother replied to the boy after a pause. "So purple were her eyes and hair and skin, so beautiful, and her voice was like the sweetest flute." The boy was quiet, tugging on the rags his mother called a dress. Stitched together thing it was, from discarded clothing from corpses long ago. "Merail was her name. She was young and stunning, and her laughter made me feel at ease." The mother paused, not sure how to word such a story to such a small boy. "Her gift was great.." The mother continued thin hands raking against the ware of the elder woman. The boy's gaze had returned to the lake, now many feet away.

"Gift?" The boy mumbled, watching the waves in the distance twist the flowers around.

"Merail could see things yet to come." The mother commented twisting around and scooping up the child. He rested against her should, under the scar that peeled down from her left eye to her collarbone. "I asked her to tell me something that would come sooner or later in my path." The mother sighed, her insides twisting much like her brows as she replayed what the creature had told her, though her son was much quiet as she carried him. "I would birth a boy, Merail claimed.." The mother paused in speech as she walked. ..One that will massacre innocents by the thousands..a true monster he will be. The sweet voice played in her head, replying the words the mermaid had spoken to her of warning.

"One who will save everyone! He'll save the world!" Arrion giggled, and the mother looked down at him lips parted in awe. For she had lied to the boy, told him Merail had seen something good, a future worth raising. The mother had lost all her other sons in the war, and some of her daughters. Still, she couldn't see how Arrion could become a monster, as sweet as he was, and she had no other sons breathing. "Right?" Arrion commented and the mother smiled nodding.

"Correct Arrion." The mother lied through skin in teeth. Merail's face still twisted in the mother's head, her words as clear as day. ..The last of many sons to survive, the boy will grow to man, the man will slaughter everything for fun. The mother felt shamed. She tried her best to raise him, Arrion in hopes Merail's words might never come true, but in all her despair she still remembered the little bits, the good bits of her prophesy. Your son will do much harm..he will have many children, many will die but one will survive..a girl, one you will never see, but know she will be strong... At least the mother could hold onto that, that she would have a granddaughter one day. Though pain hit her, at the icy words of Merail, who spoke she would never meet the girl yet to come.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~​

Her fingers thrummed the book, so old it had sat on the shelf for ages, but here she sat in the small desk space of her mother's study reading the book. Hand written, scribbling and some words she could barely make good use of, but the girl sat there reading it to the best of her ability. She snickered at the writing, it's funny word placements and how the person who had written it had written it like a book instead of a diary.

"What are you reading Liol?" Her mother stood in the doorway, wrapping her silk sash around her waist, fanning herself with her linen shirt. Her grey hair was pulled back, a mop of a mess, and her forearms were lined with scars from hard working in the field. Her mother was a tall woman, standing nearly six feet tall, yet the girl herself was short without her boots. Her tanned skin twisted, wrinkling and cracking as she saw the book in her daughter's hands. "Give me that Liol! That isn't yours to read yet." The mother stomped forward snacking the snack bound book from her daughter's fingers. Liol turned, arm resting around the back of the wooden chair her mother had crafted from hand as she stared at her mother.

"Why? Grandmother wanted me to read her diary when she died." Liol commented, as her mother thumped through the book. "It's interesting, she talks about the red sea, you know before it turned red, then back to sapphire..then red again." Liol was standing, bending over to tighten up her work boots. Her boots had seen better days.

"She wanted you to read it to protect your sister." The mother commented, huffing and shaking her salt and pepper head. She pulled Liol's arm, putting the book in her pants as she moved to twist her daughter's sash in many knots.

"Why is it always about Mai and not me?" Liol cried, annoyed and rolling her eyes. Her mother smiled, Ginger had once been her name, now she went by Ox. Ox laughed a bit, cupping Liol's face. Liol looked much like her grandmother, raven black hair, piercing blue eyes, and a similar scar on her face.

"I wish you never did that to yourself." Ox commented about the scar. Liol had looked up to her grandmother too much, and she had wanted to make her grandmother feel better about the scaring she had gotten from the war. So Liol had scarred herself, despite Ox trying to save her from scarring.

"I thought grandmother would feel better if we both had the same scar." Liol commented, remembering the way her grandmother had cried when she had done it.

"Instead you made her remember a time she wanted to forget." Ox huffed, pulling her daughter's short thick hair back into a braid. Liol's hair never grew past her shoulders, and her thin body made most of the girl's think she was a boy. Besides her childish face. Liol looked at the floor, looking at the cracks in the flooring as Ox pulled and tugged on her hair. "She loved you the way you were." Ox finally said, placing her hands on her daughter's shoulders.

"If she loved me the way I was, she wouldn't want me to waste my life watching out for Mai!" Liol turned on her mother, glaring hateful. Ox put her hands on her hips, staring down at her daughter. Liol was short, but Mai was shorter. Ox knew all too well why Liol had been asked to watch over Mai, who had not been before their grandmother had passed.

"Did your grandmother ever tell you the truth story about how she got that scar on her face?" Ox finally started, pushing Liol out the door of her study.

"She got in the war when she was trying to save one of her sons from the ax of the slaughter...that's how she put it." Liol watched her mother, who moved to put the book back on the shelf high above where Liol would be able to get it.

"That was a lie." Ox sighed, turning to leave her study with her daughter. She pushed Liol out of the door, and followed after. Ox took a key ring from her sash, twisting a key into the lock with her back to Liol. She tugged on the door, making sure it was sealed this time before hiding the key ring back in her sash. "Your grandmother was very good at lying to you, but she could never fool me." Ox pushed her daughter, moving past the ratty kitchen to the front door. She pushed Liol out, closing the front door of the shabby home behind her, and twisting another key to lock it. They were late for the working field, had Liol not been busy going through Ox's study they wouldn't be.

"Then what is the truth of it, mother dearest?" Liol rolled her eyes, marching forward down the dirt road to the fields of green in the distance. She could see the other women in the field, planting, pulling weeds, and taking out the stock from the ground as they spoke. Liol hated to work, but she couldn't stand school.

"Merail." Ox sighed. Liol turned on her heels, surprised by the allegation.

"Merail the mermaid gave grandmother the scar?" Liol squeaked.

"It was the price for grandmother knowing her future. A good future gives a blessing, a special shell." Ox explained. "One that allows you to see the merfolk dance, one that brings you great joy..a terrible future.."

"Brings you a hideous scar on your face." Liol wrapped her arms over her chest stomping away, but Ox was close on her daughter's feet.

"Not exactly Liol."

"Then what mother? You said Merail gave her the scar." Liol shook her head, thinking her mother was treating her like an idiot.

"Merail didn't give your grandmother that scar. Her son Arrion did." Liol turned at her mother's words, confused.

"But I thought father was just a baby in the womb when she got the prophecy?" Ox laughed at her daughter's words.

"Arrion was born of horn and skin, the god of hate brought him here. When Merail told your grandmother the truth, Arrion sucked some of her life force into the womb in anger." Liol still couldn't understand. All these years she had thought her mother had just been hateful to their father Arrion, as well as their grandmother. She knew crazy things happened in their world, but most of the magical beings had long sense gone extinct, or cast away to the forgotten lands.

"That isn't possible, beings like that. You said all of them were forgotten, or dead, and I don't believe you about the Forgotten lands. I asked my teacher and she laughed at me like I was stupid. Told me it was just some dumb story you had told me to keep me interested in work." Liol had only agreed to work to hear more stories from her mother, and now she regretted. Not entirely though, since she didn't have the attention spam to sit in a class and try to learn things on paper.

"Liol." Ox gripped her daughter's arm, who tried to jerk away. Ox was strong, stronger than normal females were, and her muscles were quite big for a woman Liol looked at her mother, questioning why she gripped her so tightly. "I know you saw it, didn't you?" Liol wanted to shake her head, but she knew what Ox was talking about..the blackness that surrounded her father, the hate that spilled out from him wherever he went. "I will never lie to you like your grandmother. So trust me, for your sake and your sister's sake..I won't always be here to protect you." Liol nodded, shaking in her mother's grasp. "Good." Ox let go of her watching Liol scurry off ahead. "Don't listen to that moron of a teacher..they have all become blind to the truth."

Liol had been the first to make it to the field, starting where she had left off the day before pulling weed after weed and trying to save the crops that were dying. Ox on the other hand made it after her, having walked slower. She watched Liol for a while. How Liol's face was twisted in a scowl, no doubt mad at her mother for not only taking her grandmother's journal but telling her not to listen to her teacher. For what was the girl to believe anymore? The mother who was strong as a bull and twirled tales around the girl. Or the teacher who seemed to speak books, and knowledge that had been written deep on the pages. Perhaps even the man in the field, who spoke only tales of the plants as Liol helped him.

Ox stood watching Liol for a good hour, before sighing and lingering off. The field was large, stretching to the hills in the distance. The clouds scurried around above, some white, some of a darker manner. None of which scared Ox as she walked, tall and mighty. Much of the workers were quick on the smaller tasks like Liol, but Ox was built for much harder labor. Of which she had conditioned herself after being married to Arrion for several years against her will. Her strength, had been the only thing that had given her freedom from Arrion's madness, as well as her two daughters. Of which one was much too stubborn like Ox herself and the other so delicate her fragile nature scarred Ox dearly.

"Mai." Ox breathed, the horses were in the field, full to the brim with large crates that needed to be pulled to the town over. Ox knew that the horses were weak, and she would likely be dragging the cart herself, but it wasn't where her attention lied. Her daughter Mai sat on a rock by the horses, trees close by her right side. Mai's small hands were pooled up, watching a butterfly flap it's wings. Her gold eyes were curious full of wonder, and Ox did well to not startle her as she came up to her small daughter. Mai was only twelve, of which Liol was much older by several years.

Mai's long golden hair had been twisted into a braid on top of her hair, and she wore a sunny yellow dress that covered her pale feet. Her head turned to see her mother approaching, her lips pulling into a smile. She reached out her left hand, reaching for Ox who reached out her own right hand to grip Mai's softly.

"Mama!" Mai laughed, happy to see Ox as normal. Ox snorted, smiling at Mai's bright attitude.

"Little bug, where is she? Where is Blaume? They should both be watching you." Ox spoke carefully. Mai had made a promise to her long ago, to keep a secrete from Liol. For Liol did not need to know things she could not understand until the time came, but Mai was different. She could see the threads that connected each beings, a special gift, a gift that let her understand why she must keep secretes.

"Over there." Mai pointed to the woods, glowing purple eyes that disappeared behind the trees. A male's thick laughter broke through the silence, causing birds to fly from their perches in the tree. The shadow walked forward through the trees, his body heavy clad in muscles, much as big as Ox if not greater than hers, and he towered over Ox no problem. The Male stood at a good seven feet tall, he was built like a tower, and had nothing more on then his black pants, boots, belt, and green shirt. His hair was dark like the dirt below, his eyes the same color, his skin an olive color. His rough jaw turned up, and the ground shook as he walked.

"Blaume." Ox's brows furrowed, tilting her back to look up at the male as he smiled. He bowed before her, as if mocking Ox, but Mai giggled and jumped form the rock. Blaume caught Mai, twirling her around as her small arms locked behind his neck. Her held her carefully as he laughed, his chest rattling before he cradled Mai like an infant. Mai rested her head against his chest, listening to his wild heart beat.

"Yes, it is I. Were you worried I would leave her unguarded?" Blaume smiled. He shook his hair, of which some of the loose strands that refused to stay on top of his head tickled Mai's nose, and made the girl sneeze. "Sorry Mai." Blaume rubbed her forehead as Mai rubbed her nose.

"Where is she Blaume? She is suppose to be watching Mai too." Ox said annoyed, but her eyes looked into the forest, watching the purple hues appear behind the trees. Blaume opened his mouth to speak, but Ox pushed him aside striding to the woods. "Come out here! I can see you watching!" Ox proclaimed, reaching for the figure that squeaked, curling up to avoid Ox's grasp. Effortlessly Ox plucked the creature up, who was curled into a ball. Her skin was a soft hue of purple, and cloth in many colors contorted around her fragile frame. Her hair was a mixture of blues, purples, like the depths of the sea had once been and her small childlike features turned to look up at Ox.

"I was watching!" The little woman chirped in Ox's grasp as Ox set her down. Her skin shimmered in the sunlight, small scales dancing on her features. One of her ears had been revealed as well, humanlike except for the fines that pulled out at the top, and the woman quickly moved her brightly colored hair to cover her exposed ear. "I'm always watching." Her small fingers laced through her hairan she looked at the ground. The little woman was taller than Liol, but still smaller than Ox.

"Merail.." Ox crossed her arms over her chest, as the little woman looked up. She looked about seventeen, but Ox knew how old Merail really was. Still, this baffled Ox to no degree, how beings like her and Blaume never seemed to age. "You have to hide your presence better, you can't go walking around in your normal form..even if Mai sees nothing wrong with it." Ox looked back at her daughter, still in Blaume's masculine arms. Merail nodded her head, gems and jewels were lined in her hair and clanked together as she nodded.

"Mai wanted to see my true form." Merail said shyly, but she knew better then to show her true form in daylight where others could see her. At least here, Ox was blocking her sight from anyone who might looking. Blaume had been wise enough to not bring his sword or armor, afraid it would startle the villagers. "A war is coming Ginger.." Merail looked up at Ox, whose jaw tightened at Merail's soft voice.

"I know a war is coming Merail! Why do you think I'm worried Liol won't understand this? That she might run frightened when the time comes? That Mai will be left unguarded!" Ox had bent forward, her brows furrowed as she spoke strongly to Merail. Merail nodded her head, saddened.

"You've yet to tell the girl her fate, so she rebels." Merail expressed. Ox straightened herself, her eyes looking at the ground after Merail spoke. "You can't hide her fate from her Ginger.."

"My name is Ox now Merail...How can I explain to Liol anything like this? Tell me how to tell my oldest daughter she is going to have to fight. To fight! To kill! To murder people she once loved to survive! To protect the only family she has left?" Ox's hands curled up to fists angry. "Liol is only sixteen years. She is only just becoming a woman, trying to find her place in this mad world. Trying to understand why we have to hide from her father, why I won't allow her to read her grandmother's journals..why Mai is always treated different than her!"

"Ox.." Merail turned the name over in her mouth, the name seemed off. For Merail had only ever known Ox by her real name, but that side of her had died long ago. Merail should have known this, but it seemed she had issues clinging onto things that had happened. "Liol will run from her fate if it's thrown onto her without warning. By the time she realizes her true fate, understands it..." Merail trailed off frowning as she looked up at the woman.

"I know. Either way. I know." Ox said firmly, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath in. "People hide yourself. Remember your name is Nimi here. I can't explain Liol how you still look the same exactly way like the time her grandmother met you." Merail nodded to Ox's words. Merail's hands turned up, palms up to the sky. Energy wrapped around Merail's form, purple smoke that was clear to the eye, it wrapped around Merail like a cocoon, consuming her body and hiding her as it enclosed around her.

"Nooo!" Mai cried, having leap from Blaume's arms to run towards her mother. Ox smoved to stop Mai from running to the purple smoke, but Blaume was quick on his feet. He gripped Mai's dress from behind, pulling her up as he laughed.

"Sorry! She's getting better at learning how to slip through my grasp!" Blaume laughed as he picked up the kicking Mai. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her with her back to the smoke, her face next to his neck. "Mai. You can't go near that smoke yet. It will burn you alive." Mai whined, pushing herself backwards to twist to look at the purple smoke. OX sighed, shaking her head at her daughter. Mai was so unlike Liol. Liol would have ran from the very sight of Merail's real form, running and screaming, or screamed for her to change back. Mai was the opposite, not wanting Merail to hide her true beauty, not wanting her to look normal.

Back
Top Bottom