Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Kiss of Moonlight (For Drum and Menarae)

Menarae

Planetoid
It was a lovely summer night, the warm air sweet with the scent of the groomed, well-flowered garden. White gravel paths twisted through the three-acre garden, bordered by hundreds of silky, fragrant lilies and glossy greenery. A half-moon hung overhead, but the garden was better lit by strings of fairy lights and flickering torches. White-clad servers drifted between the groups of guests bearing silver trays of finger food. Two bartenders offered the cocktail chosen as the night's signature drink, as well as an assortment of high-end wines and beers. The music, heavy with songs by the likes of Sinatra and Manilow, kept many of the guests on the dance floor near the house. Long tables draped in white cloths and decorated in blue and silver held the items up for auction, including a spa package, a round of golf and dinner at the city's most expensive resort, and a weekend ski trip in the Rockies. They'd be auctioned off at midnight.

Carlotta arrived around ten, well after the party had started, but the host was all too pleased to see her. This was one of the few events Carlotta regularly attended: the annual fundraiser for police officers injured on the job. Carlotta greeted Edgar James, the host and owner of the home and magnificent garden, and spent a few minutes on idle chatter with him before excusing herself to mingle. She got herelf a glass of red wine and made a quick loop around the clusters of guests, speaking to those she knew. She smiled often, but it was a small, quiet, polite smile that barely touched her green eyes.

Compared to some of the other women, she was dressed simply. Her sleek, black silk dress hit just above her knee, and she wore plain black leather heels. But the dress hugged her body just right, accentuating the soft curves of her hips, and dipped low in the front, revealing just enough of the pale bust beneath. At her throat she wore a gold chain with a gold ring on it. Her dark blonde hair was loose, framing her pale face with its bright green eyes, full lips, and strong jaw.

Finally, Carlotta wandered toward the garden, following the familiar trails to a small pear tree and the marble bench at its base. Some kind of bright yellow lily flourished all around, its long, narrow green leaves bursting from the dark soil. In spite of all her time here, Carlotta had never bothered to learn flower names, aside from the most obvious ones. Somewhat of a shame, she thought, rubbing a petal between thumb and forefinger as she sat on the bench.

Viktor checked the cuffs of his jacket and the collar of his shirt, which was flipped up around his throat in the style of the era he was dressed for. He grinned to himself as slowly (well slowly for him, anyway) ascended the front steps of the large house. This was exactly the sort of venue for his debut to this new city, and he intended to make a splash. To that end, he was dressed entirely in clothes he had bought in the early 1800s, complete with top hat, cane, tails and riding boots. The outfit itself could be considered a valuable antique. He considered that as this was an benefit auction, perhaps he should offer his clothes as a surprise item. It was an amusing thought, and Viktor's grin broadened.

He pressed the doorbell at about eleven o'clock and was pleased when he found that the home owner throwing this benefit was the one who answered the door. He smoothly pulled the top hat off his head and made a polite bow with polished, practiced grace and greeted the host, "Ah, Mr. James, it is a pleasure sir. My name is Viktor Krauss. I apologize for bothering you on an evening when you're throwing a party, but I happened upon a story in the society pages discussing your upcoming benefit and was quite moved by the sentiment of the cause behind it. I know that I'm not on your guest list, but I was wondering if I might at least make a small donation." He straightened up and smiled at the bewildered man who seemed quite bewildered at the eccentricity of the vampire greeting him. It was, of course, no surprise when Mr. James, with a slight grin of amusement, invited him in instead of simply taking a donation. Viktor thanked him politely and followed him into the foyer of the house, removing his hat and gloves, which Edgar took from him with another grin, and ran his fingers through his carefully styled dark brown hair. The host introduced him to a few surprised guests and then excused himself to attend to other host duties, leaving Viktor on his own.

He moved about the room, joining conversation circle after conversation circle as people, particularly women, seemed to feel the need to introduce him to friends that were on the other side of the room. It was almost too easy, truly. There had been too many years to perfect the charm and air of mystery. After half an hour, he had already made contact with half of the city's leading businessmen and a good number of the higher ranking politicians. He was genuinely startled when he turned, in the midst of a discussion on what Edgar Allen Poe was like in person (whom he had actually only met once), to find another of his kind was already here. There was a brief pause in his speech, accompanied by a raised eyebrow as he took in Carlotta from the considerable distance between them, but he returned to speaking so unnaturally quickly, that most of those listening to him didn't notice a thing.

At the next break in the conversation, he politely asked the woman closest to him about the vampire in the garden. He found out only that her name was Carlotta and that she didn't often attend parties. Viktor briefly considered introducing himself, but from the looks of her, she seemed that she was quite lost in thought or her own private reverie. He decided he'd wait until later in the evening to seek an opportunity. After all, surely she'd participate in the auction, and there was still more work for him to do in the room.

Carlotta returned to the party shortly before midnight, her wine glass empty. After seeking out a fresh glass, she went in search of Edgar. Instead, she saw someone dressed in ridiculously out of date costume. And then she realized it was another vampire. Jealousy flared through her: this was her city, had been for decades.

But other vampires had to share. She knew it would happen eventually, another noble moving into her city. She just wasn't used to sharing.

Curiosity quickly replaced jealousy. She hadn't seen a costume quite like his for a couple centuries. Was this one old enough to wear it while in vogue, or was he a youngling flaunting newfound immortality?

Whatever he was, he was popular with the ladies in attendance. She joined a small group of women she'd known for a few years. They were all gossipping madly about the new arrival. "Who is he?" Carlotta asked cooly, sipping her wine.

"Viktor Krauss."

"He just showed up and charmed his way in."

"Interesting."

He hadn't missed the return of the blonde vampiress, despite being across the room when she walked back from the gardens, but he discreetly kept his eyes focused just off of her. Sooner or later, she would certainly notice the ridiculously dressed newcomer and surely she'd be able to peg him for what he was. Unless, of course, she was fairly new to this life.

Viktor could feel his characteristic curiosity tugging at his eyes, drawing him to look directly at her. It had taken him centuries to gain a modicum of patience, but he was well practiced now. He didn't need to stare at her to keep tabs on where her eyes lighted, though he couldn't resist moving slightly in the circle he was in so that his feigned interest in the current speaker also provided a better view of Carlotta. He didn't have to wait too long; her eyes were evidently sharp enough.

A look passed across her face so quickly that even he wasn't sure he'd seen it, but it had definitely not been a pleased look. Far from discouraging or worrying him, he'd weathered more than one spot of trouble with humans and vampires alike, the evident distaste only intrigued him further. Who was this creature? He'd never met her before, and he thought he knew most of the vampires, well the nobles at least, in all of the surrounding states. Perhaps more interestingly, why did she seemed annoyed by him? The effect was almost intolerable, and would only be abated by meeting her. He checked his watch, there were still a few minutes before the auction began.

"Pardon me, Mrs. Kinkade, but you said you have met this... Miss Carlotta is it? Would you be so kind as to introduce me to her? There is, I'm afraid, no vampire 'club' or 'association' you see, and it's always nice to meet a fellow crimson connoisseur, as I sometimes call my kind," he smiled with mock hunger and threat, making sure his fangs just came into view as his lips curled, and watched Mrs. Kinkade react with a blush at the reference to blood. A veiled sense of danger, he knew all too well, was exciting to anyone who enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle. Mrs. Kinkade was, of course, all to happy to make an introduction and latched onto Viktor's elbow to guide him across the room.

"Carlotta, there's someone you simply must meet," Mrs. Kinkade said, somewhat flustered, as she pulled Viktor into view. "This is Viktor Krauss. He's a vampire like yourself, and he has been telling us the most interesting stories."

Carlotta watched Mrs. Kinkade practically drag the new vampire over to her. She didn't know the Kinkades very well, mostly from brief interations at events such as this one. She resisted the urge to gulp down the rest of her wine to steel herself against the impending interaction.

She dipped her head to Viktor and allowed a small smile, but her eyes narrowed a little. "Carlotta DuCharne. A pleasure, Mr. Krauss. I didn't realize another noble had moved into the city. When did you arrive?"

Viktor smiled broadly and bowed his head with a formality from another era in response to her terse body language. "Ah, the pleasure is all mine Miss DuCharne," he said pleasantly, deciding with some amusement that that was probably an all too true statement at the moment. "I arrived quite recently, actually, though I've lived nearby in Massachusetts for several months. This is a coming out event of sorts for me. I've always found it surprising that this city seems so devoid of nobles, myself. Though clearly it's not completely without the pleasant grace of an immortal and an incredibly graceful beauty of an immortal at that, if you don't mind my saying so," he finished, flashing a smile that was almost a challenge.

Carlotta held her wineglass lightly between her fingertips. She crossed her other arm over her abdomen and hooked her fingers into the crook of the opposite elbow. Her eyes glittered with amusement. "You flatter, Mr. Krauss, but you know how light affects our kind as well as I do," she purred, pausing to sip her wine. "In truth, I've always been...territorial. I moved from Georgia because there were too many nobles, and I've never turned anyone. A few have come to visit, but none have been tempted to stay." She gave his suit a long once-over. "I must say, your manner of dress is...interesting."

He laughed politely at her comment about light, waiting until she'd finished to respond to it, "Truly, we're all blessed that Mr. James didn't choose to hold this benefit as a beach party, or you and I would make quite a different impression." His smile broadened, and in contrast to hers, absolutely filled his blue eyes. For the moment, he avoided commenting on her less than subtle turf protecting. This was truly an unexpected surprise. She seemed to be an irresistible challenge, and he hadn't had this much fun in more than a year, despite his active lifestyle.

He made a show of turning around for her and the rest of those in the circle saying, "Do you like it? Would you believe that I actually danced with Jane Austen once while wearing it? She was a charming woman, though I think she was less than approving of my reputation. I, of course, won't comment on whether or not her view of me was accurate." One of the younger, and possibly more tipsy, of the women in their circle giggled at this comment.

"Edgar is a very dear friend of mine. He would never hold this benefit during the day." Another sip of her wine. Her gaze flicked away from Viktor, wandering slowly over the guests. They were readying themselves for the auction, which would begin any minute now.

"A beach party wouldn't be very classy, either," chirped one of the other women.

"Agreed," Carlotta purred. "Jane Austen, really? I've read one of her novels. Pleasant thing, overall, but not much to my liking."

She turned back to Viktor finally. "So, Mr. Krauss, are you a supporter of our men and women in blue, or are you just here to network?"

She was most definitely a tough nut to crack. She wasn't even allowing him to kid her a little, and she certainly wasn't going to be impressed. She had even managed to impugn his motives and she'd said only a few sentences. Viktor, on the other hand, was far less discouraged than she probably intended him to be.

"But of course, Miss DuCharne," he began, careful to keep any sense of being affronted out of his tone. He continued, keeping his Moice light, "my apparent impression on you to the contrary, my skin is not actually made of veneer. Still, should I deprive myself of the opportunity to gain a few new friends in the process of supporting New York's finest?"

Viktor watched with disinterest as they brought out the first item for bid. He had every intention of making a sizable and, truthfully, a hopefully memorable donation tonight, but he was quite indifferent as to the nature of the item he purchased in the process. His plan had been to simply wait for an item that wasn't getting many bids and then make a sizable raise in the current bid, but another idea was occurring to him, as Carlotta was surely going to bid on something. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

Carlotta excused herself to refresh her wine. But once she hadn, she didn't return to the group of women with Viktor. Instead she sought out the police commissioner.

"Commissioner Owen," she purred, giving her first genuine smile of the evening. She worked closely with the commissioner, and he was one of a very few people she liked and respected.

"Carlotta, always a pleasure to see you, dear." He kissed the back of her hand. Commissioner Owen was the type of man to greet women he knew well with a kiss on the cheek, but he was never comfortable with allowing Carlotta so close to his throat. "Will you be coming by the big building tomorrow?"

"Another execution?"

He nodded slowly. "Later in the week, yes. Come by around three so we can work out the details."

"Of course."

He paused, watching the first item sell. Then he added, "The new one hasn't been by looking for work."

"I wasn't worried." She'd been working with the police for far too long to be threatened by a newcomer. They turned their attention to the auction. The spa package was up, and the current bid was $400. Carlotta raised her hand, calling, "$600."

He watched her walk away, and had to restrain himself from following her. He wasn't exactly sure why she was so alluring. Could it be as simple as the fact that she was a challenge? Well, she was lovely, he had to admit, but he'd been around a number of unattached and interested noble women of late and hadn't been tempted for more than some temporary amusement in quite some time.

He returned his attention to the other women around him, but didn't lose sight of Carlotta as she moved off in another direction. He recognized the man she greeted as the Chief of Police that he'd met earlier. The two seemed to know one another quite well. That was an interesting fact. He was so engrossed in observing her while carrying on a meaningless whispered conversation that he lost track of the action near the auction table. He saw Carlotta raise her hand and call for $600. He turned abruptly and with a smile (and his eyes deliberately trained only on the auctioneer) called out, "One thousand, if you please."

An amused smile curved her lips, and she called out, "$1300." She sipped her wine, ignoring the curious look Commissioner Owen gave her. Instead, she asked him, "How's your family? Did Emily have the baby yet?"

"Yes, two days ago. A little girl. We named her Gracie Mae. Mom and baby are doing well."

"That's lovely," she said softly. Children are such a joy."

He sipped his scotch. "Sounds like you've experienced the joy."

Carlotta sighed and patted his arm. "It's been so long, Mark, I don't remember much of my life before the bite." Another woman upped the bid to $1800. Carlotta glanced over her shoulder at Viktor, and then placed a bid of $2200.

She was grinning at him, and he could feel it as much as see it out of the corner of his eye. He didn't return her eye contact, but his lips curled into a playful sort of crooked smile. As he heard the bid jump up a few times and Carlotta make it $2200, he spoke up again, "Why not make it an even $5000?" He was pleased to hear the start of a few murmurs in the background in response. They were still low, but then again, vampire hearing was a bit above normal.

Carlotta considered the new bid. "$6000," she offered, ignoring the shocked look the commissioner now gave her. To him, she murmured, "You know my fondness for this charity."

The commissioner chuckled and knocked back the rest of his scotch. "I'm going for another drink. Are you all right?"

Carlotta tilted her half-full glass a little. "I'm fine, thank you."

The commissioner headed to the bar, chuckling and shaking his head.

Viktor's smile widened further. He couldn't tell for sure, as he still wouldn't look right at her, but she seemed a little less amused than she was before. He tried to gauge how ridiculous of a sum he could bid without pushing her past annoyed or shocked and into livid. "Hmmm, well, there seems no reason to be coy... $15,000," he said, and very nearly started laughing when he thought about the fact that he had absolutely no idea what he was bidding on.

Carlotta laughed and shook her head when the auctioneer asked if she would place another bid. She covered her mouth with her free hand and giggled wickedly. Viktor had just bought a spa day for two, complete with full-body massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, and mud bath, among other services.

The commissioner went over to Viktor and slapped his shoulder. "I'm not sure if I should thank you or Carlotta for your donation. Carlotta's never been to a spa in her life. Considers them a waste of money." he headed back to Carlotta, still chuckling. He touched her elbow to alert her to his arrival, even though she knew he was there. "And what would you have done if he let you win the bid?"

"Given it to Emily. She'll need a day of pampering, and I haven't bought a baby shower gift yet."

He stared at the chief for a moment as he walked away, then looked directly at Carlotta and let out a bit of an uproarious laugh. As it broke into a chuckle he gave her a knowing nod as if to say 'well played'. In truth he felt he had broken even on this one, but still, she must be quite amused. He went to the auctioneer's table to write out a check and take the claim ticket before rejoining the party. Despite what the chief had just told him, he walked directly over to her and, with an overly polite bow, held the ticket out to her. "A gift, Miss DuCharne," he told her, "to commemorate your... shall we call it your victory? In any event, I'm sure you can find a way to put it to much better use."

"Truth be told, the charity is the victor here," she purred. "I don't think anyone was expecting a spa package to bring in $15 000."

"I sure didn't," the commissioner said with a chuckle.

"But really, I have no use for a spa day," Carlotta continued. "I am quite relaxed enough as it is. Mark's wife, on the other hand..." She glanced at the commissioner, who shook his head slowly, chuckling again.

"I would certainly classify that as a good use," Viktor said with a smile, "here you are, Commissioner. To your wife, with my compliments." He handed the slip of paper over to the Commish and turned back to Carlotta. He looked her right in the eye this time and raised both his eyebrows suggestively.

Then he let his charming, slightly detached exterior slip just a little and said in a whisper so low that even she would have to strain to hear it, "Are you quite certain you're so very relaxed, my dear? My very presence seems to cause you tension." It was direct, and perhaps prematurely so, but she was simply too interesting.

The commissioner offered his thanks quietly, but he backed away a little when he saw the look on Carlotta's face. he couldn't hear what Viktor had said, but he recognized Carlotta's reaction.

Her green eyes glittered coldly. The muscles at the corners of her jaw flexed as she clenched her teeth briefly. Her hand shot out and clamped around Viktor's elbow. She closed the space between them, her body not quite touching his but, with just the slightest shift, she would be pressed against him. She put her lips to his ear and murmured, "I always enjoy a good hunt."

Viktor was calm and cool. He made no move to provoke her. He had had to restrain himself when he saw her move for him, but trusted that she wouldn't start something in her own city without a good reason. His body made no move, but his face... that was where he worked now. He gently pulled back so that he could look her in the eye and let the grin slowly fade, but didn't replace it with horror at her threat or an attempt at intimidation. Instead... his looks softened. His features took on a very aged quality, showing centuries of deep scars from things seen that could not be unseen.

His is eyes probed hers feverishly, looking into the cool danger that she was flashing at him and trying to get past it. He simply looked at her and tried to read her for a very long moment. Finally, he whispered back to her in the most compassionate disarming tone he could muster in such a hushed voice, "I'm so sorry, Carlotta. I don't know what kind of pain it is that you carry, but I'm sorry." It was a little bit of a guess, but it was a more informed guess than most could probably make.

Carlotta blinked, surprise momentarily replacing her hard edge. But it was just for a second, and her veneer returned as she released his arm and stepped back. She was suddenly short of breath. She tried to cover it with a small cough. She lifted her chin, looking down her nose at the vampire. "Just remember, Mr. Krauss, this is my city."

And then she returned her attention to the auction. They were now auctioning off a weekend stay at a chalet in the Rockies. "$1500," she called.

Viktor slowly nodded, respectfully, and then let the charming smile spread back across his face. His eyes lost the liquid quality they'd briefly held and sparkled again as if he didn't have a care in the world. He stepped back from her as she made a new bid, and bowed deeply, once again playing the out of place old English gentleman, which entertained him further since his name was so obviously not English.

He'd learned something important there, though the details were not forthcoming or clear. He'd been close enough with his guess to take her off gaurd, and he was definitely right about her being interesting. Still, that was enough for one evening; he wouldn't press her further. Surely their paths would cross again soon. After all, this was her city, as she said, and he wasn't simply leaving town.

He walked past her towards the commissioner and shook the man's hand, realizing there was one more thing he needed to do this evening. "Please convey my appreciation to your officers for the fine work they continue to do, Commissioner," he said politely. Mark notably looked less pleased than he might have before the little incident with Carlotta. His smile was somewhat forced, and it was clear enough that he was at least loyal to Carlotta. Viktor looked once or twice to ensure that no one was in ear shot, and dropped his voice lower. "And please do not concern yourself for your good friend," Viktor grinned slightly adding, "or the safety of your good citizens living around the two of us. I assure you I mean absolutely no harm or threat to her, nor do I particularly wish to cross her." He wasn't sure whether or not the man would believe him, but there was no reason not to try to leave someone she seemed to trust with a good impression rather than a bad one. Not to mention, it was decidedly in his best interest to try to avoid having the head of the police department upset with him, especially considering the nature of some of his business.

"I'm not worried about Carlotta," Mark said simply. "I know her moods. You'd be wise to step lightly around her." Then he knocked back the rest of his scotch and went to say his goodbyes.

Carlotta won the chalet weekend, as she usually did. It was one of the few things she still enjoyed: hiding away in the Rockies, far away from the city. Her new guardian hadn't gone on a trip with Carlotta yet. The vampire didn't doubt the girl would enjoy herself immensely.

She wrote the check and took the collection ticket before joining Edgar to watch the rest of the auction.

The host looked a little nervous. "I saw that exchange between you and the other vampire," he murmured. "Anything I need to worry about?"

Carlotta frowned. "Edgar, you know me better than that." She sipped her wine. "If I was to start something, I wouldn't do it in public with potential human casualties."

Back
Top Bottom