Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons & Dragons

A couple small snippets from various games over the years...
  • Used Major Image to scare a young dragon out of its keep with the floating head of a much larger dragon looming over its broken roof.
  • Rescued a kidnapped party member from the Thieve's Guild after a night of carousing by befriending them after a series of CHA checks that resulted in forming a band with some of its members.
  • Conrad the Barbarian; a vegan barbarian that rages when he takes off his glasses.
  • Josephine Joestar; a transvestite glamour bard with oiled pecs, carried on the shoulders of 3 attendants (who were later sacrificed to a den of ogres).

My system of choice is pathfinder, but I do have some stories to tell.

My favorite happened in my second bigger campaign. Our party was in the underdark for some quest that's not important for this. They traveled through this fungal forest and found some ruins in there with a riddel on a sealed door, the only part of the ruin still standing. Some kobolds made their camp there, but they were out at the moment, only coming back later. The riddle was a bit too much on the mathematical side, nothing I'd do again, but eventually they solved it, opened the door, and found a huge golden dragon egg, together with some dragon themed potions.

Now the kobolds came back and explained that this here was their ruin, their society, that they were all dragons before, big and powerful until they got cursed to live in these lesser forms. I didn't made it obvious if that was the truth, or just a story in kobold society, the kobolds definitely seemed to believe it. They wanted to get back their 'last uncursed brethren' but of course our party already got wet for a dragon companion.

So our bard talked with them.
Now we all know bards in d&d, it didn't too long for one of the scalie kobolds to look down, blushing, the rest of the party just watched from afar.
He was talking for several minutes, telling them how much better the dragon would have it on the surface, he was masterfully playing them, eventually they all fell on their knees, begging the party to please, please take the dragon egg!

I guess it's one of these things that don't sound quite as epic when you weren't there, but it's a scene we still talk about today.

I have been a fan of the backgrounds personally. as a DM. Been DMing for years and in my campaign that kicked off in 5th I set ideas around a number of themes - Noble, raised by priesthood, wonderer, the orphan (only one allowed!) etc and the players each chose a theme and created a pc that fit the flavor using the rules and backgrounds with whatever they could think up/justify. Those themes unused became peers and rivals of the core group. Worked rather well, so far.

I always wanted to get into playing D&D but it is hard to find a living scene where I live. I also feel like breaking into an established group is kind of awkward. Any tips?

I always wanted to get into playing D&D but it is hard to find a living scene where I live. I also feel like breaking into an established group is kind of awkward. Any tips?
Ask if you can sit in and watch for a game, see how the group meshes with each other and what the general feel of the gameplay is, see if you like it and if they extend an invitation. if it's a small group, you have better chances at joining, most DMs can adequately run for up to 6 players in 5e.

I love to play D&D! I started playing 4 or so years ago, and have already racked up 1000 hours on roll20. A lot of that is probably doing DM prep though. I'm currently running Dungeon of the Mad Mage for my players and lorde, the maps are such a pain to set up. Lags my poor little toaster laptop to Hell.

Oh goodness, I have way too many stories to recount.

I'm DMing two homebrews using D&D 5e, and my best friend is DMing one homebrew with 5e as well.

I have 6 PCs in his homebrew, heh. And most of them are poly, and married/lovers to many, many of his NPCs. But he knows me, so it's okay.

We've taken a break recently, but we're getting back to it not THIS Saturday, but next Saturday. His game has been running for 5 years now so... yeah, lots of stories.

My PCs for his game:
Raijin Lionwood (Lagan) (human) - (battle master) fighter/(abjuration) wizard. Pirate. Has trained mimic armor.
Elizabeth 'Eri' Lionwood (human) - (kensai) monk/(dragonsong, homebrew archetype) bard. MILF. ...No really. She has the most crits in the game, and she's saved the most people/souls. Aaaand has the most husbands.
Eana Bonedigger (human) - (drunken fist) monk. Big heart, small smart. My excuse to yell "COR BLIMEY" at regular intervals.
Eltana Dinamus (Fallen, homebrew equivalent of Tiefling) - (life) cleric. Midwife. Big mom of the group, gentle loving giant.
Nooli Nightbird (Nickelplate) (Awakened, essentially sentient animals who get a humanoid form, she is a lammergeier that turns into a dwarf) - (shadow) sorceress/(fiend) warlock. Started at the bottom, now she's a queen of giants.
Elowen Honeysuckle (half-orc, other half is elf) - (of the land, coastal variant) druid. Comes from seafarers and intensely connected to water. Has said the most bad-ass line in the game.

My PCs for my first game:
Enkou (Miserati, homebrew equivalent of Fallen) - (twilight) druid. Tired sarcastic mom of the group.
Elissabetha (half-orc, other half is human) - (devotion) paladin. Squire of a fighter. Fierce but gentle.

My PCs for my second game:
Noyade (leprechaun, homebrew equivalent of halfling/gnome) - (way of the heart, homebrew archetype) monk. Sacrifice.

I played a good amount of PC games based on DnD. All Neverwinter Nights, Divinity Original Sin 1+2, Solasta, started Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition.
I do quite like the system even if it is sometimes counter intuitive until you have completely understood how it is implemented in the rule set and game in question.
Actual Pen and Paper DnD I have yet to try. I have friends who played/play it, but only watched them for a bit, some time ago.

Ah, D&D. My old love and what started it all in terms of Roleplaying for me, back during the times of 3.5. So many years well spent, so many fond memories to recall. But one story above all else demands to be told for this thread. The story of the Acolytes of RNGeesus. You see, amongst the group of Players I've interacted the longest with and still manages to continue playing together to this day, there is one person who has a habit of leaving Everything. Truly everything, to the dice. Stats, Race, Alignment, Background, Class, etc. Let's call him Blue.

We've been playfully teasing him about this for years now, until one day, we had a rather ingenious idea. One of us, who wasn't the Forever GM, had finally decided to run a D&D Campaign. Preparations began immediately... or they would have if we'd not decided to honor our friend Blue, who was at that time sick with Covid and thus couldn't join us for a while, by making our Characters the same way he'd make his own.

Thus, the Acolytes of RNGeesus were born. A Group of Adventuring misfits that truly had no reason to exist... but we rolled with it.

We had:
Me, a Chaotic Good, Yuan-Ti Pureblood, Fisher, Barbarian, called Slythe
Friend 1, Lawful Evil, Protector Aasimar, Athlete, Wizard, called Jack
Friend 2, True Neutral, Locathah, Spy, Ranger, called Splurge
And Finally, we had Friend 3, who rolled absolutely GOD-tier stats but ended up playing Tom "Pacifist" Tomson who was a Lawful Good, Human, Anthropologist Peace Domain Cleric. That refused to fight

This bizarre group was then joined, after a few sessions where we managed to survive, by Blue.
Blue, who, knowing we had a game going... didn't have RNGeesus take the lead in creating a character.
And for the first time since we've known him, a Custom-built, Min-Max'd Cocaine-lock.

And thus, the Acolytes of RNGeesus turned upon their newly found companion... and promptly murdered him in Cold Blood.
Much to the amusement of our GM, the group, and even Blue, who realized what we'd done only after he joined.

While I mostly play Pathfinder, I have had quite a few experiences in 3.5 and 5e!

We had a Strixhaven based campaign where my character who was very easily confused decided he would become king of the wizards after graduating, and that any loans he took out were free money. Shame the campaign stalled for a spell as our DM is busy, but there was some real character progression when ol' Bill was talked to by a carnival crony and determined that because he said cheating is the only way to get ahead in Strixhaven, every test needed cheating on.

Got caught once, that academic suspension was brutal. But, wasn't caught a few other times. That was good.

Back
Top Bottom