Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(D&D 3.5) Welcome to Ravenloft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanaphia

Union Smut Peddler
Traveling along a popular forest road, a large group of mixed individuals makes their way to Waterdeep. Among them are a couple of dwarven men, a scholarly young man, a few female caster types, an elder Priest of Lathander and his younger female apprentice. A few more lithe fighters and wizards round out the group, who aren't exactly a caravan, but all seem to be heading in the same direction.

Oranges and pink pain the sky as the sun begins setting on your journey. With less than an hour of sunlight left in the day, and Watersdeep within sight, the whoile group pushes along, even as dense fog rolls in. Despite expectation, there is no salt water scent accompanying it, only a cold, bitter chill. Before long you can no longer seen your own hands in front of you, and even the movement of the large group quiets to a hush.

Once the fogs dissipates, the forest has changed. Gnarled and thorny, nothing is how you remember it. There is a town a hundred yards ahead, but you know somehow it isn't Waterdeep.

Roll spot and/or listen:

You hear and see nothing unusual

You hear wolves in the distance, and see movement in the bushes.

You hear five distinct wolves, and see half a dozen figures moving in the nearby treeline

You know you are surround by ten bipedal wolven creatures

He was sitting in his wagon, as he usually did, sipping at a jack of ale, hands on the mules reigns. Really, he was just doing his normal circuit, and dealing with as few people as possible. Really, this is what he disliked the most about his journeyman status. Give him a workshop, and he would vanish inside, and gladly, for weeks at a time. Dealing with people? Well, as a hand brushes over the haft of his axe, he's solved more then a few disputes in good dwarven fashion.

The group of people he was with was not to bad, did a bit of business each night, and rented access to the alchemy lab in the back to the casters, as long as they kept their ands to themselves, and didn't make anything too dangerous or illegal. By which, he meant no corpses, undead or fiendish creatures.

As the fog rolled in, and the mules, Burt and Kurt, began to bray, he hefted the axe, swearing into his beard, that he did not take the time to craft and imbue several runes. Still, his hand was steady on the axe, as he caught a glimpse in the bushes, but said nothing. In the sudden change of things, from evening to dark woods, cool fog on skin to brisk night air, ears straining for things in the darkness.....

[img=450x600 align=right]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/0/08/0o0TRn9.jpg[/img]

Reyana

Dressed for trouble on the road—in a flatteringly fitted mail shirt and skirt—with her sunlight-tresses tied back with a rose-colored leather band and a longsword at her side, Reyana looked more like a shield-maiden than a priestess of Lathander and promising painter. The rose quartz disk dangling in her cleavage, glowing softly with a rosy fire, hinted that there was more than that. Perhaps those who'd never been in the presence of a blessed warrior might guess her to be a paladin.

Reyana spent the journey alternatively chatting amicably with her companions and quietly observing the road. She might be mistaken for vigilant, when in truth she was committing the details of the scenery to memory, looking for landscapes she might paint in the future.

Reyana was no sentinel, but a painter's insight sometimes came through for her. The ward she'd laid to keep herself warm and cozy that morning kept her from fully realizing the chill of the fog, and the blond had never smelled the sea before, so her glances were mostly curious.

When the fog cleared, though, she slowed, looking around with curiousity and a growing chill.

“This isn't good,” the blond girl gave a frightened moan. “Master,” She pointed to the bushes up ahead, then made a sweeping gesture to encompass more of the bushes where she believed ambushers lurked, “What are those things?”

Glancing around to find so many keeping their silence, the young priestess hissed, “Stand ready.” she drew her sword and shield. If the had the time, she'd lay a ward over herself—Shield of Faith.

Listen 25
Spot 17

Aldrick is lost in thought taking notes about his journey thus far and trying to translate some old book he picked up; he does not even notice the change in scenery until a wayward branch knocks him in the head. Looking up from his work cursing all trees everywhere Aldrick sees some figures closing in. Garbing his crossbow and putting one of his normal bolts into it he tries to make himself small.

"We might have trouble." He calls out.

Spot 1D20+3 => 20
Listen 1D20+3 => 15

(OOC: this is assuming that a 20 is not enough to give him the ability to use a roll to know what these things are)

[img=200x280 align=right]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f2/4a/83/f24a83120da4c9a9d0a3b4412fd136e8.jpg[/img]
Even as she was fancy dressed, Cassandra was used to this travels from town to town as she was always looking for adventure. The group wasn't really bad but she he one who seemed the most interesting was the young human scholar, she just thought he was the most sophisticated among these people and had moved closer to him to get to know him better before they arrived their destination.

The sudden thick fog caught her by surprise though, it was so weird that she was hardly able to see anything at all but it was even weirdest that the landscape and the town hey were heading were so different. As daylight was still shining her bat familiar was hidden in her clothing as it was usual until it was dark or Cassandra needed its help but it still helped her senses to be more acute and aware of the surroundings.

Spot: 20
Listen: 23

"You're right Aldrick I hear at least 5 wolves but I'm afraid there might be more around lurking on us"

((OCC: Assuming she got at least his name before the mist engulfed them all))

Father Lorenzo reaches his arm out towards Reyana. "There are too many child. We must get to safety..."
As he speaks, one of the female casters is pulled into the underbrush with a shriek. Her screams grow in volume and intensity for a few moments, before dying out as blood and viscera splatter against nearby trees. A slender young man is next, pulled by furry claws into a tree. Raking furrows into his chest, his blood pooling beneath him.

All around you the sounds draw closer. The other dwarf is pulled, his arm containing his warhammer coming clean off.

"We need to run for it!" Father Lorenzo calls to all present.

Roll Horror Saves (will)

You freeze in place, unable to act as the terror overcomes you.
You run at full speed for the town gates.
You may act freely

As he sees the death, momentarily cursing the damn creatures, he will spur the mules into faster movement, pushing them, making sure the wagon moves as quickly as possible, it holds all of his supplies and wealth. Still, one hand on the reigns, he would have his axe ready, as he tries to get the damn thing to the town walls, trusting in his mules to be able to put on a dash of fear driven speed.

He would however, speak to the dwarf, or rather, bark at him. "Jump on!" It was in the dwarven tongue, so it would be clear who he was addressing.

Will Save; Gorex:1D20+6 → 19(13 + 6)
Also, readying an attack, so the first wolf creature that comes next to the wagon seat gets an axe to the face.

Reyana gave a terrified shriek as blood and viscera was hurled from the darkness. Glancing around wildly, she spotted the dwarf starting his cart. “Hurry, master!” she yelled. She deftly planted her sword into the earth of the road. She tried to help the old man up into the back of the wagon as it passed, then grabbed her sword and ran along behind it.

The wolves were certainly a lot but so were they, however as one of the girls is pulled and disemboweled and then one of the fighters the situation changes quickly. Furry claws is all she could see still more than enough to think they were not facing wolfs but werewolves and then a dwarf gos down. Cassandra's blood froze and she rushed to escape away from the predators, not even closed doors will stop her from going into the town, she would just walk up through the walls if needed.

Horror Save: 10

The dwarf with a missing Arm tries to jump onto the moving wagon, but is caught in the leg by the same werewolf. His final screams echo through the forest in a booming bass tone. More and more the werewolves pick off the travelers, leaving only shredded bodies in their wake.

As you all rush the gates, they open, townsfolk ushering you on to hurry. The gates are swiftly closed behind the dwarf's cart, as the werewolves feast on the bodies left behind.

"Are you mad?" A dignified older gentleman asks, looking you all over. "Why would you travel these roads at night?"?

He mutters a quick prayer under his breath, praying for the fallen to be embraced by the stone, for the molten iron of the worlds heart to embrace them. Even the ones who were not dwarves. Still, at the humans rebuke, Gorex speaks, his voice like rocks scraping on iron. "Fog came rollin in. Just a day er two out from Waterdeep, then we happen ter be in dis ass end er who cares where."

He glares a bit, annoyed, even as he reaches under the seat, taking a jack of ale, swigging it.

Aldrick strokes a beautiful female's face on his armor and seems to gaze out at nothing for a moment before speaking.

"No sir none of us are mad however it seems that we somehow became lost in our journey. Would you mind telling us exactly where we are?

"Thank goodness you were to open the gates in time, who knows what would've been of us if you didn't. I'm Cassandra Nightgloom and I'm afraid it wasn't night yet when were to arrive our destination nor it was such a dangerous looking forest but it suddenly changed when a dark fog engulfed us and somehow guided us here, would you be so kind good sir as to tell us where are we?" Cassandra was still a bit nervous on the sudden attack but she felt safe enough within the town as to show some good manners to the old man hoping that would calm him down too and the earn his trust, it would be useful to be in good standing with him so he can give us all some information.

Diplomacy check to make him friendly towards her and the group: 30

As she awaited for some answers she looked around to the townsfolk to see what kind of town they just had the luck of arriving to. She didn't know what was going on and could only suspect it was some kind of spell that had brought us here, she couldn't be more wrong though.

The older man looked over the group, nodding at their explanations. "You say a fog passed over you? And now you don't know where you are?" He scratched his chin as he considered the possibility and returned his gaze to the group.

'I've heard of this, vaguely. The mist bringing in people from other lands. Well, where ever you were heading, you are now in Maykle, in the province of Darkon. I'm the lord of this region, Lord Mikelous" Maykle seems to be a smallish hamlet, population no more than 600, surrounded by farms on most sides, and a river along the southwestern border.

He beckons toward the large manor on the east side of town, "Come, you can stay with me, and tell me more about where you come from."

He did not know where that was, aside from nowhere close to where he was. Which, frankly, annoyed him. He was not the classical wizard, who chanted while wearing a dress, mucking about with random pieces of crap. No, he was an arcane craftsman, and this whole thing annoyed him. Granted, a scowl and glare were his default expression (indeed, it took considerable effort to make a 'neutral' face), even as he flicked the reigns, mules and wagon following.

Still, he did not speak, taking the time to look over the hamlet, and it's likely shoddy stone and metalwork. Still, they were only humans.

"I wonder if you might have some books on the phenomenon of this mist? It might be interesting to see if there is some sort of historical pattern. Also I am afraid I have not heard of the Darkon province before would you happen to have some large scale maps so that we might discover exactly how far off course we have been trans-located?"

Already Aldrick is scribbling things on parchment taking notes on the new development and trying to record it for later study.

Bah just a thorp, Cassandra thought a bit disappointed, and probably its inhabitants are nothing more than superstitious farmers... But the land lord Mikelous seemed to be different plus he lived in a manor. Maybe if he was a bit younger..., anyway, she gladly accepted the invitation with a bow and was ready to step forward and walk by his side when Aldrick spoke again. It certainly was a good idea if Mikelous had a library of course.

Cassandra turned to the young scholar again watching him for an instant, maybe books drew his attention a bit more than she would have liked but he still looked like the most interesting person in he group but she sill wanted to find out more about where were they so she looked back at the landlord. "It will be a pleasure Lord Mikelous to join you at your manor and exchange some stories about Darkon and the Western Heartlands of Faerun"

Gorex, atop his wagon, seems to be deep in thought, before he sighs. It would be a faint thing, low, rumbling and reserved. "Don't expect that yer knows much bout the Spine er tha World herebouts?" It was an attempt in a way to politely phrase a request for information.... though it could easily come off as thinly veiled contempt of ignorance. "Nor Ironcap shrooms?" There was a touch more interest in the second one, though as always, the dwarf sounds like rocks and iron scraping together.... and as if he can barely tolerate talking.

"Faerun? Spine er tha World? Nor Ironcap shrooms? No, I am afraid I am not familiar with much of any of that." Lord Mikelous says as he leads you towards his home.

"I do have a library, and you are welcome to read my books as long as oyu are a guest of my home. I am afraid I can't let you leave with them, at least not until I am better acquainted with you."

His manor is a three story home that is well maintained, if dated in it's architecture. He leads the group towards the Library where he pulls out some hand drawn maps, and points our your current position, as well nearby landmarks.

"I don't have any maps to spare, but I can provide you with materials if you would like to scribe your own. "

"As far as others who have come through the mists, I have this book on the origins of the Morning Lord, and how his early priests speak of traveling here in the mists. Don't have anything written, mostly folklore and rumors. They say the Vistani travel the mistways, but you just missed them, left town a few days ago."

His library is impressive, with easily hundreds, if not close to a thousand books. Many refer to Darkon's long history, it's rulers, and its geography.

"Books don't belong out in the field anyway unless a specific one is needed for a specific purpose." Aldrick begins to peruse the library noting specific titles that may be useful and how they are organized so he can put the back properly when he is done.

"I must commend you on your cataloging system it makes things much easier when information is well organized.

Aldrick looks to the maps and it strikes a cord with him he has seen this before.

(Knowledge the planes roll 1D20+12 => 26 )

Hitching his mules, leaving the wagon that served as a mobile home, as well as forge and lab, the dwarf ambled in, axe still hanging from his belt. He looked over the stonework, which was not bad.... for human work. Still, he would look over the maps, and would begin to skim the local flora, looking more towards herbs and mushrooms. He would have to find new ingredients for his ales.

Still, he would be mostly silent, looking for all the world like a disgruntled lump of stone, as he looks through the books. Still, he would be heading back to the wagon soon, to continue smithwork.

Cassandra took a peek at the map just to give herself an idea of where were they, Aldrick seemed to be good with books and maps so she would better leave him to take care of that. Meanwhile she would take a chance to learn a bit more about the folklore of this Darkon province, about this 'mist', this 'vistani people' Mikelous mentioned and also about what other interesting folks lived in Maykle besides he landlord. Cassandra didn't like the idea of hanging around farmers and would only do so if there was no other choice but perhaps a priest, an alchemist, an old former adventurer or who knows who.

As she walked to a side and spoke to Mikelous she also examined all who had survived the ambush of the werewolves. If they were all stranded in this strange lands it would be a good idea to get to know them better so they can all work together.

You have hard of a country call Darkon that disappeared from it's realm. It is a bizarre tale that always struck you as folklore rather than truth.

Maykle doesn't seem to a town known for much other than it's vast farmlands. Recent additions to the obituary suggests that the town lost it's priest less than a month ago, to illness. It seems many townspeople have succumbed to this illness, over the past half year.

There are a few books about the Vistani, the roaming populace whose female members have a greater than normal connection to The Sight. They are grudgingly welcome in the towns they visit, as long as they spend money, and don't stay long.

Aldrick realizing that they may now be on a new plane and the mist is capable of taking more than just people begins to delve into those books. He is used to reading and keeping up a conversation so splits his attention until he finds what he is looking for.

"What is this sickness that seems to be going about Lord Mikelous? You have lost your priest as well? To whom is your temple dedicated? I might be able to fill in for a short while until someone more suited comes along. Also could you tell me about these Vistani and this Sight? They seem to be of particular interest in this library."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom