Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Has anyone thought of....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that would be a strain on the servers that is unnecessary.Unless you donate a huge sum to this idea I think it will never happen. Photobucket/tinypic/other sites are made to do this and are free.

We actually have mediawiki installed, and I could probably finangle it into working, but if it increases site load more then a negligible amount, let's try and keep up our new success with paying our own way for at LEAST six months before I even float the idea with Vek of additional resources.

The MediaWiki<->phpBB integration was broken and I didn't want to try and fix it.

I've been mostly focusing on the new CMS project now since November. It looks like it's going to take up most of my year and would like it to stay that way.

Vekseid said:
The MediaWiki<->phpBB integration was broken and I didn't want to try and fix it.

I've been mostly focusing on the new CMS project now since November. It looks like it's going to take up most of my year and would like it to stay that way.
Understood.

There may be a new version out now. Can always see.

Making a personal database for photos would be a strain for a server that is having a little trouble with overload with just users online - though that is mostly because this server has more than one site on it.

Anyway, linking to photobucket or any other site that has picture hosting is much easier and takes less data than trying to work on it here.

No, the primary strain on the server actually comes from people editing posts during periods in which the server is already otherwise under high load. It's a lose-lose situation there, unfortunately.

I could make a very public collection to raise funds for a dedicated server, of course, but we still run up against the flaws inherent in phpBB eventually.

Vekseid said:
No, the primary strain on the server actually comes from people editing posts during periods in which the server is already otherwise under high load. It's a lose-lose situation there, unfortunately.

I could make a very public collection to raise funds for a dedicated server, of course, but we still run up against the flaws inherent in phpBB eventually.
...Ssssssso, switching to SMF would fix the errors?

I'm actually semi-fooling with MediaWiki right now to try and put my own internal home wiki together and am also going to float the idea of creating an internal tech support one for my work. Fun stuff. There's always free hosting places, though I haven't looked into them, so I don't know the details on them.

It would likely add more strain only if it was heavily used but then there's the space consideration (given I have no clue how much Vek has or how much it costs if more would be needed). I'd say the simplest way for now would be to use photobucket/whatever and have an area where compile a list of links to the accounts/albums. But, then, I dunno if that would really be of any use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom