Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why do people use pms?

Problem with threads is you have no privacy. Getting stalked for replies isn't a pleasant experience.
I've been hounded for replies when I played in PMs and threads in the past.

I'm exclusive to threads mainly because I like being able to link writing samples instead of copy paste or because potential partners can check my writing before messaging me.

I assume most people use PMs for privacy or if they're a little shy about putting their writing out in the open.

Discord et al are great for rapid back-and-forth, but not so good for slower and longer posts.
There are multiple restrictions (message length, formatting, inline images, etc) which make forums more suitable.
I've never had a problem in Discord with twice or thrice a week replies. At least, not when they are my own servers for 1x1.

But group RPs on Discord definitely have a much faster, IM-style pace that I just can't oblige. I don' have a phone. The internet is not in my pocket all day. So I don't respond to Discord any quicker than I can get to my laptop once I'm back home. In fact, I was on Discord way before they got mobile friendly. So I do struggle with interactions on Group servers as no one has the patience to wait for someone posts the way I do. Usually, all I see is a bunch of quick, three sentence replies that have gone on at sporadic intervals throughout the day. But my modus operandi is anywhere in the range of 300 to 1k word responses every couple of days.

I LOVE group RPs. I wish I could get involved in them more often, actually. But I don't have the capacity to manage them, myself. And getting in on someone else's group is something that has become progressively more difficult for me to achieve as the years have worn on. Here on BMR, you really don't see a whole lot of movement in the Group RP requests, unfortunately. And when they DO pop up, they are always based on some kind of system. Whatever happened to good ol'-fashioned freeform group RP?

I'm exclusive to threads mainly because I like being able to link writing samples instead of copy paste or because potential partners can check my writing before messaging me.

also, you can just direct upload images, instead of having to first put them on an image-hosting site and then copy/paste the link. It's so much easier to embellish posts with pics in the threads.

I use PMs because they're a little easier to track and manage than threads.

I use threads because inserting images (which I admittedly do very little anyway) is easier than in PMs.

Like Saber said, though, it's easier to provide writing samples when you're linking a thread.

I have no real preference one way or the other, however.

A mix of anxiety and recovering-Catholics guilt I suppose, when it comes to ERP at least.

The anxiety is still there for things like, dnd sessions, but maybe less so, since my group leans into campiness purposefully.

For me it is because its too easy for threads to be outta sight outta mind. I am regularly in my inbox though and so its easier to keep roleplays in mind.

For me it is because its too easy for threads to be outta sight outta mind. I am regularly in my inbox though and so its easier to keep roleplays in mind.

this. the 'filter by unreplied' section in pms has saved me from forgetting about stories many many times.

It's easier to navigate and also easier to organize. Typically when I did threads, I always felt the pressure to make it as clean and aesthetically pleasing as possible, so there's a bit of that pressure. I don't know why.

Privacy is certainly the biggest part of it for me. And discord as others said is nice for good fast back and forth, plus its organization and bot support make it way more interesting to me.

Writing partners tracking your activities was mentioned previously. However, it kind of seems like that sort of behavior would be something that you would want to come out sooner, rather than later, so that it can be addressed and dealt with. Not much worse than getting deeply involved doing something with someone, only to find out that they are going to stalk your online activity the moment that they outpace your level of energy!

It's privacy for me. I used to write on other forums way back then, in which I posted in the public threads and didn't mind, but now I'd rather not have everyone on site be able to stalk the updates. I just find it less stressful.

I use to do threads when I got really into being active here. After awhile I stopped because more toxic qualities that came out of others reading my content. Some felt as if I put more effort into writing for other people than them. It was at that point I decided I wasn't going to make my writing a public display.

Back
Top Bottom