Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What defines the site's punishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeufufns

Star
As someone who got banned from elliquiy I have some questions to the system here since the reason I got banned for in Elliquiy was simply appauling (in my opinion) and I wanted to have some specifics on how the system works since both the process, reason and result of elliquiy's system were unsatisfying to say the least.

First my Elliquiy case to give you a picture so you don't have to blindly follow my description:

The offense was committed in the lieges-only forum, where I posted a rather bitter post saying that diverse opinions weren't really allowed here and that I would stick to roleplaying. I doubt my post was deleted so it should still be there.

Therein lie my first three points of criticism.

1. I never had time to edit my post to make it more forum friendly, I got no warning, I was just instantly banned a few minutes after I made that post
2. The post was rather bitter but I actually stated inside that I wouldn't post anything anymore as to prevent me from saying anything banworthy, apart from it being rather ironic it's rather weird to ban someone for saying they won't do anything banworthy.
3. The post seemed to have been the reason for which I was banned. Such was hinted at by the oracle that was also posting in that thread. the official statement on why I was banned also says that I couldn't agree on the rules of forum etc. saying that I was being impolite to put it mildly. The letter I got from Mithlomwen however said something different. Rather than banning me for my last post which was the official reason.

The first answer I got was the same as the official reason:
If you did not receive a message that you were denied as a duplicate
account, it means that the approval team does not feel that you will
contribute meaningfully to Elliquiy's community, now or in the near
future. Quite simply, this message means that we do not want you on
Elliquiy the way that you have presented yourself to us. While denial is
not always permanent, it does mean that we expect you to accept the
decision rendered to you and explore other roleplay avenues for a
significant amount of time. Elliquiy staff does not give detailed
reasons for denials, so please don't ask us for them. Any such requests
will be ignored.

But I continued inquiring and I suddenly got a totally different answer:
...falls afoul of rule 11--Elliquiy is not a mental institution.

The reason was suddenly a much earlier post I posted a week before about my problems with the thought of suicide. Seems to fit but that was the topic everyone was talking about. The entire discussion was transpeople feeling suicidal and voicing their opinions. And noone else got banned.

Afterwards my denial thread progress (that's important for later not the thread itself got deleted only the post within)was deleted and everything lost apart from a few things I copied onto another forum.

Part2:

I kept visiting the website because I couldn't believe that one person just threw my out which brings me to another issue.

I was banned by one person

Sherlock apparently reported me but Mithlomwen was the only one who talked to me("talked" in the sense of you're annoying go away).

So when she said "the mentors will come together and decide about your punishment"

what mentors exactly? There were plenty of mentors who liked me and plenty who disliked me. The decision could have gone either way but Mithlomwen got her opinion through cause she was one of the ones that hated me. It seems to convenient for her.

On one occasion on my countless visits to the site in the hopews of my case being discovered I saw that I had access to another denial thread. I made an earlier post describing this so I'll just copy paste it here:

Elliquiy chapter 2:

Now I visited the website a few times cause i couldn't let go of it and saw that I had access to another guy's denial thread for some reason.

Apparently the guy got banned for complaining about being overweight or something, again the admins/gods were as clear as fog about their reasons.

He said in one of the posts that he lost 70 pounds in the last few months. I thought great, nice job, I like that.

Guess what I did which made the admins completely lose their ****

guess what

do it

I complimented him on losing weight

what happened after that was more "Allahu Akbar" than "I think we might be in disagreement"

My denial thread (the actual thread this time)got closed and all contact options to the admins closed and destroyed so I had no ability to defend myself.

And I got permabanned

without any explanation

apparently for complimenting someone on losing weight

I'm gonna go get some coco......

I made another post complaining about the treatment after which I was banned from using the isolation room so I had no way to contact the mods.

Within days my entire existence was robbed from me, I couldn't read pms, I was banned without warning or chance to edit anything, any method of communicating with the mentors I made friends with were and Mithlomwen the goddess that hated me from day 1 was the only one deciding over my fate.

I think it's quite understandable why I've begun to simply fear mods so I wanted to ask how the system works and why someone would get 1 person vendetta'ed like that.

First and foremost, we are NOT Eliquiy. While we might share a server with them that's owned by the same person, we are a completely separate entity. Our staff is different and we operate differently. Sure, people join both places, but people join all sorts of RPing sites simultaneously. However, I assure you.....we are ridiculously different. Can't stress that enough actually.

Edit: As head admin of THIS site, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you how this place works. I'm the one behind OUR rules, sooo... Hehe. : )

Yeah, I was informed about elliquiy's system but since one can see from my exqmple that noone cared about the rules aince the rules state that there have to be warnings first.

Thank you for your response ^^

This isn't E, but if anything, there's even less tolerance for passive aggressive sniping here. I do hope you learned that that's a poor way to carry yourself.

Trygon said:
This isn't E, but if anything, there's even less tolerance for passive aggressive sniping here. I do hope you learned that that's a poor way to carry yourself.

You are referring to the bitterness of my last response?

I learned to stay out of sections for personal feelings because as soon as an admin gets emotional you're on unstable terrain.

For the record,

I personally wouldn't go somewhere where I obviously wasn't welcome.

That said - Bitching about how a site is run isn't really going to win you any friends, for the simple fact that this is how the internet works:

As an Admin (not here, but I have Adminned several sites in the past) or site owner, I could ban you just because I don't like your avatar - Not a very good way to run a site, but that's exactly how the internet works - You could have pissed off my mother in real life and I could ban you for that just cuz I wanted to.

As soon as an admin decides you're not worth the trouble you create, you're not on terrain at all, you're airborne, out the door.

Rules lawyering will NOT protect you. If you deserve it, your punishment will not necessarily carry a warning first here, either. You'd have to be pretty dreadful to earn that, but it's an absolute possibility.

So, just, don't be dreadful. Don't try to argue rules with staff. And if you're told your behavior isn't kosher, stop immediately without attempt at explanation or defense. Follow those and you should be safe from catching an unexpected ban.

Trygon said:
As soon as an admin decides you're not worth the trouble you create, you're not on terrain at all, you're airborne, out the door.

Rules lawyering will NOT protect you. If you deserve it, your punishment will not necessarily carry a warning first here, either. You'd have to be pretty dreadful to earn that, but it's an absolute possibility.

So, just, don't be dreadful. Don't try to argue rules with staff. And if you're told your behavior isn't kosher, stop immediately without attempt at explanation or defense. Follow those and you should be safe from catching an unexpected ban.

I wasn't told anything I was just thrown out instantly but I know what you mean.

This place is pretty good about things. A while back someone was essentially finding art on the Internet, and then claiming it as their own. To make matters worse, this person would take commissions, find the closest picture that they could to the commission, and present it as a personal gift to to another member here. I immediately saw through this bullshit, because it's hard to ignore when an artist has like several different styles from picture to picture. It isn't necessarily immediately telling, but it raises a flag for me.

So, I set a trap.

I made a specific request, while keeping in mind that I've already found a few of the original authors of his/her previous works of art. When she could not fulfill it, and I stopped beating around the bush, I was reported. This person went through the trouble of fabricating PMs to make it look like I was threatening her. They literally typed up fake PMs, and sent it to the staff here. While I've been on this board since 2009, I had left for a while and when I returned most of the staff was different. DA and Broomhandle were running the show, while Prettylyksin and Trygon were running the show back when I first joined. So, they had very little idea of who I was, and how I'm not stupid enough to do what she was trying to frame me for doing (for the record, I doubt the old admin staff knew anything about me either).

Instead of taking this person for their word, they actually investigated the matter. Rather quickly they found that member to be a lying idiot, and I came out of it untouched. It would have been very easy for DA and Broomhandle to just take this person for their word and ban me. I know Broomhandle came at me with a little bit of heat at first. I believe he said something to the effect of, "... I don't know what your deal is, buddy..." Despite his Judge Dredd act, the matter was thoroughly looked into. So, even if the staff throws a stiff word or two at you, you can be sure they're gathering their facts, or that they will.

The staff here is very fair, and I don't believe they act on their personal whims. You won't get banned for going into a topic with a different view of things. Just follow the rules, and act like a sensible adult. Just don't go looking for trouble and using harsh language to stir up Internet fights. Trust me, if you could get banned for having a different opinion, I would be LONG gone.

You probably would be gone on e with that kind of background.

That's actually quite.......touching doesn't fit but it's the closest word I can think of.

So far putting up my request thread, the people here, this thread, inspired me to stay here. Most other forums I'm in have died down(deviantart, futanaripalace) or switched to serve a different group of people(Horizon, F-list). And I find the people here really nice so far. Most rpers I've started to talk to here send long novels of apology for a missing a day of posting which for a foreigner like me is mindblowing.

Hello! I saw some posts that seemed a little critical of the OP for discussing a past experience that seemed, to me, reasonable in the context of wanting clarification about the site rules. I want to applaud you for it, Jeufufns. It takes courage to talk about something like that because there is always some shmuck who's worried about rocking the boat, even when you're in a knee-deep pond, if you get my drift.

Don't listen to them. I'm a new site member, and found this thread quite informative. I saw that BMR is hosted by Elliquy, and almost dropped out because of that. I wasn't banned by the site, my application wasn't accepted on the basis that it was a duplicate account. I live in campus apartments, but what are the odds that one of my roommates is also secretly into online roleplaying? Yeah. I was skeptical too, so I followed the instructions to contact them and no one could even bother to tell me the name of my other account. That was when I knew they were BSing, and when I realized that they aren't as inclusive to alternative sexualities as they pretend to be.

End of the day, I'm not mad about it. I just don't have warm, cozy feelings about the lot of them. Plenty of other roleplaying to be had on other sites! Thank you again for posting about this, it kept me from ditching my account here.

Sorry to hear about your experiences elsewhere. Though to both reiterate as well as clarify, BMR and Elliquiy are two completely separate entities. We are separate RP sites with our own individual rules, culture, what have you and most importantly staff. We are not 'hosted' by them. We merely share a server with them and the same guy owns both domains. But again, he has very different people running each. So how each place works and has evolved is quite different. Hope this information helps.

dreamingincolor said:
That was when I knew they were BSing, and when I realized that they aren't as inclusive to alternative sexualities as they pretend to be.
Wait. Are you seriously saying you're too gay/poly/whatever for Elliquiy?

And, you're claiming that they lied to keep you out, despite the fact that you do use a shared internet connection and thus their claim was absolutely possible.

Gee. I sure love the paranoid ones. They always add so much to our community.

Trygon said:
dreamingincolor said:
That was when I knew they were BSing, and when I realized that they aren't as inclusive to alternative sexualities as they pretend to be.

And, you're claiming that they lied to keep you out, despite the fact that you do use a shared internet connection and thus their claim was absolutely possible.

1. He doesn't even need to be gay or bi to be hated by staff for no apparent reason.

2. Possible but definitely not a reason to just throw someone out without listening to them which is also against their own rules as their rules dictate that both accounts must be questioned.

3. Sarcasm not appreciated

Jeufufns said:
Trygon said:
dreamingincolor said:

1. He doesn't even need to be gay or bi to be hated by staff for no apparent reason.

2. Possible but definitely not a reason to just throw someone out without listening to them which is also against their own rules as their rules dictate that both accounts must be questioned.

3. Sarcasm not appreciated
1) Paranoid
2) They make the rules, not you. You seem to have some issues with this concept.
3) Welcome to BMR. Enjoy your stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom