Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Signature Picture Size

Shovel

Supernova
Quick question! Is there an official limit on Bluemoon for the size of pictures in signatures? What is the max pixel dimensions allowed? In the case of gifs, what is the max file size?

To use my signature as an example, it is a custom made gif 400x225 with a file size of 1.6MB. When made, I had lowered the quality of the gif significantly because I was concerned about lagging up the forum.

I tried to find the answer by poking around the Questions & Suggestions forum and looked over the rules. The only thing I could find related to it was the actual graphic content of the signature, and not the size.

I'm not entirely sure if I can answer this exactly, but I do have some frame of reference for you.

This one is 469 x 200 pixels and 4.47 MB
Asphyxiation---sig_zps4wnxhbow.gif

This one is 471 x 200 pixels and 5.58 MB
Asphyxiation-II---sig_zpscb5jjt9p.gif

This one is 471 x 200 pixels and 6.88 MB
Asphyxiation-III---sig_zpstauphhf9.gif

Posted all at once, I can see how some slower connections might take a few seconds to load them up. However, most DSL and Fiber Optic connections should be able to handle anything this forum will throw at it. If someone is struggling to load this forum due to some gifs, then they are on a rather slow network, and might be the minority. There could be some concerns with mobile networks, but personally I don't know the specifics.

Now keep in mind that I have a fairly quick connection, which I've seen hit 32Mb/s (4MB/s). Add in caching, and everything loads instantly for me, and probably would for others.

As far as dimensions go, the signatures here actually form a scroll box, so they can be as large as you want. I think the box shows up once an image is around 300+ vertical pixels.

This one is 642 x 642 pixels and 445.42 KB
PixelFactory_zps4oqnjt9j.png

This one is 1000 x 588 pixels and 927.93 KB
Pixel-Factory-Samples-2_zpsmddkeak4.png

So, as you can see, it is probably pretty hard to get an image that will come close to any of my gifs in file size. So, while I don't know the official stance, you really shouldn't worry at all when it comes to regular images-- unless you don't want it to look really lame with the scroll box. With gifs, I try to keep mine at 6MB or lower, so I can squeeze as much quality as I can out of them at a size that fits comfortably in the sig area.

Oh yeah, everything loads up fine for me. :) I have a pretty good Internet connection here, but I wasn't sure about others. Nor do I do much mobile browsing. I have never tired it, myself. It was just something I was curious about and couldn't find any specifics on.

When I made my gif sig the first time, it was like 10MBs. and I was like "Jesus, that's huge! Its gonna lag everyone up!" XD

I'd really like to have my sig (or a completely different one perhaps) to be higher quality than it is now, if possible.

This is the largest one I have at 8 MB, and 498 x 250.

We-are-Water-III---sig---vr2_zps60tavntj.gif

So you ought to be okay. I'm sure if things get out of hand, we'll hear about it. It should be entirely possible to have your current sig at a higher quality. You just need the source and to make a new one. Which program do you use?

I honestly forget. XD It was some online website that did it for me. But I saved the original versions, so I shouldn't have a problem. I can just reupload to my photobucket account.

Point me in the direction of the source video, and I can make it for you in a snap.

I got it. :) Haha, thanks for your help though! I appreciate it. <3

Back
Top Bottom