Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Having a Tech Problem Regarding the site

I was instructed to post this here to see if I can get help. Every time I post something, be it in the forums (starting with my introduction and the reply) or a PM (every one I sent thus far) has done the same thing. I get the basic thank you message stating that my message or whatever has been sent (I have posted a screenshot of the PM thank you message). This message lasts for exactly 5 seconds and 17 centiseconds (I timed it with a stopwatch starting from the moment I hit the send button on the message.) Then it switches over to a screen asking me to resubmit the form (I screenshotted this as well, though last time instead of the white background the thank you message was still visible behind it). I'm not sure why it is doing this. I am NOT hitting the refresh button or anything. It just automatically does it. I have tried refreshing my browser. It doesn't work. I was told this might be a browser issue. Not sure if it is, but for reference, I'm using the Microsoft Edge browser on Win 10. Can someone please help me fix this problem?

Update: When I posted the above, the problem I mentioned didn't arise. However, it is still a problem with PMs and is now also a problem when I update my profile. But when I update my profile and get the resubmit thing, instead of clicking resubmit and it taking me back it just continues to give me the resubmit button over and over again until I can catch the "don't wait" link thing.

Yeah, shortly after posting that, my whole computer completely froze - and kept freezing over and over again. Then my task manager and browser quit working altogether. I tried to run a virus scan but it kept stopping and shutting down midway through it. I tried restarting my comp several times. I even got desperate and tried the cell-phone trick on my laptop (I took the battery out and put it back in). Nothing worked. Finally, I contacted Microsoft. After remote access and whatnot, the tech finally tells me I have corrupted files on my computer. Then she basically tells me that unless I pay so much money they can't fix it because it falls under a specialty service. After I informed her there was no way I could pay for that she then told me that it might be a user account issue and I should set up a new user account. But she wouldn't walk me through doing that and sent me a link about it in email. Lo and behold, I copy/paste the link into a different browser (since my main one wasn't working) and wouldn't you know I get the "this page has moved" bullshit. So I ended up getting stuck with figuring out how to set it up on my own. First time I did it wrong. Then after realizing what I did wrong I went back and did it right. Signed in with my new user account and waited for what seemed like ever for it to set everything up. Finally get it all set up only to realize that the issues were still there and, to make matters worse, nothing else of mine was. So I said screw it and logged back into my old user account and started setting things up in a new browser. Haven't had the problem with the site since - except now I have no task manager and have to look up all my bookmarks all over again.

I'd try a few things.

Boot into safe mode (even with networking), and see if your problems persist. Run malewarebytes, as Trygon suggested, while in safe mode. You will then want to boot into your windows as normal, and see if that helped at all.

If it did not help, then I would attempt a system restore to the last date Windows worked. If you cannot do this then there is one final resort I would attempt.

Do a fresh install of Windows. Back up all of the files you feel are important to you, on an external HDD or USB drive, and then go about just reinstalling Windows. Just nuke everything, and start anew.

Once you have a clean slate, I would reevaluate the protection on your computer. I would also use the Internet more carefully: don't visit shoddy sites popping with intrusive ads, don't click ads, don't click suspicious links, don't download from sites that don't look entirely official, don't click on any but the most trusted links in Facebook (should you use it), consider an ad-blocker to prevent any nastiness with advertisements (you can whitelist sites you want to run ads on, such as this one).

You can learn everything I've suggested by running simple Google searches. I can offer some explanations, but it will benefit you GREATLY to figure out how to do all of the above on your own, if you do not know already.

I switched to Firefox. Windows Edge is a pain to use on several websites, not just this one.

I actually have no idea how to run safe mode or any of the other things suggested. I've tried a restore point. But it didn't show that I had any restore point available. I've also tried running windows defender, but it stops midway through. I've considered wiping windows out and doing it again, but I'm not sure about that. For one, I have a lot of stuff to back up. I've actually been working on backing stuff up for a month or so now, but with my comp acting the way it does that isn't easy. It freezes more than it works. I've had nothing but problems with it ever since I downloaded Win 10. I didn't find out until after it was too late that that wasn't a good idea. Apparently, there was supposed to be some kind of test to see if the comp can handle the new upgrade. I did not get the option of the test before I downloaded it. And even though my laptop is only about 3 yrs old I was told by a few that it might not be equipped to handle the upgrade. Someone on another site told me there was a way to remove win 10. So I looked it up. I followed all the steps to try and convert my system back to Win 8.1. I got up to the very last step where it says there's a button to convert it back in my settings thing. Well, I was at the right place only to discover that mine was missing that button. I'm not sure why. So I kind of got screwed. On the upside, I think my grandparents bought me a new laptop for Christmas, so I'm just kind of waiting it out right now (then I'll be spending the next few yrs transferring everything over).

If you were running 8.1, 10 will be less impactful on your system. There's still bugs, but the overall storage/resource footprint of 10 is smaller then any windows since XP.

Reinstalling windows will not delete any of your files unless you choose to format. No need to backup.

But aide from any of that, go here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/ Click Download, and then Download Free Version. Install it and run it. Clean anything it detects.

I thought 10 would be a good idea as well. But ever since I installed 10 I've had nothing but problems with it. My comp runs slow, it freezes more than it works, my disk usage stays through the roof, now my files are all corrupted. Pretty much all 10 did was turn my comp into a politician.

Back
Top Bottom