Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gulltown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivine

Supernova
It is a time of strife and violence in the Seven Kingdoms. It has been half a year since the death of Robert Baratheon and five kings have arisen to vie for the Iron Throne. With the kingdoms torn asunder there is ample opportunity for those who seek to advance themselves...

- - - - - -

Gulltown is the major port city of the Vale of Arryn. It is located in a fine natural harbor at the northern tip of the Bay of Crabs, southeast of the Eyrie and south of nearby Runestone. It is the largest city in the Vale, but is much smaller than Oldtown and King's Landing. Gulltown is ruled by House Grafton and also contains a cadet branch of the Vale's rulers, House Arryn of Gulltown. Gulltown is an important port and portal to the Vale, its sheltered harbor offering anchorage to ships traveling from King's Landing to Braavos or the north. Its strategic location means it never lacks for trade in many of the exotic goods making their way from across the narrow sea, keeping the Vale supplied even when the passes of the Mountains of the Moon are closed in winter. Gulltown has fine seamstresses.

There was a strong sea tang that carried with the breeze that flushed through the open-air tavern.

Brydan Velaryon took a great inhale of the refreshing scent, seated at a rickety table of dull wood as he looked out over the lolling waves of the sea in the distance. No ships plied the seas there, for the war had chased many across the narrow sea, or simply locked them in port for fear of raiding or attack by the fleet of one of many rivaling Kings in the lands. The whole of Westeros seemed to be engulfed in this mad desire for the Iron Throne, giving rise to five different contenders in five different regions of the continent. It was chaos and even with a cool tankard of mead in hand, it hurt his head just thinking of their differing claims and motives.

Yet in all this madness, the highborn hedge-knight tried to find an opportunity in it all. Judging by his appearance, one might never had known the thicksetted man to be of noble birth. He wore mud encrusted boots of leather, with leggings of sable hue tucked easily into them. The front of his calves were covered with rusty iron greaves, as were his forearms with a set of vambraces. Over his torso he wore a knee-length robe of pale blue, which was in turn covered by a sleeveless tunic of mail armor, tied about his waist with a black belt. A travel-stained cloak of brown hung about his shoulders, half draped over his form, while at his waist was set a very long sword. No shield did he carry, preferring to fight with the two-handed bastard blade. He did however possess two small knives, one tucked under his left greave, while another was hidden up his right sleeve. He looked in appearance similar to any wandering hedge-knight of the land, poor and down on his luck.

In its hilt was craved the small figure of the seahorse, the sigil of his House, and along the length of the blade, the words of his House, to which he could not give any true allegiance due to the orders of King Robert, the Usurper. But he was dead, and the decree he issued against Brydan no longer valid. He was still trying to come to grips with this, having been forced to find his own fortunes and living far from his own home of Driftmark, just south of here. But returning was impossible, with the fleets of Stannis and the child-King Joffrey blocking the straits.

There was one option however; Scarlet Rose. He had joined the faction not a few years ago, committed to aiding its members in furthering their position through certain methods, and in turn hoping that one day he might be able to call upon their services for his own. Yet it seemed unlikely, for his uncle still ruled. But in war, things happened. Men died and titles changed hands. His uncle only had a young son, a child, as his heir. Brydan would clearly have the stronger claim, if only fortune smiled in his favor. But judging on his own life, it clearly did not. Perhaps he could speak with the leader of Scarlet Rose, a certain Lord of Gulltown, who might be able to voice an opinion on this opportunity. All Brydan had to do was contact the man.

He drank deeply from his tankard, deciding he would take a few more moments to enjoy the cool breeze before he set out.

Lorra looked at the girls with a smile, they would be worth at least a hundred gold dragons each depending on how the trip back to Westeros would be going. If she was forced to beat the slaves due to them being undisciplined, it could lower the price drasticly if it would show. Bedslaves were to be transported with much care if they were high quality and Lorra had girls of quality. She bought them in Lys and it is known that the best girls were either Lysene of Yunkish. Unlike her costumers, Lorra prefered Westerosi girls much more, they weren't used to fun and it was lovely to show them her definition of fun.

''Captain?'' Karson asked, with his smell reeking of the Whiskerfish he just ate. ''I'd like to use one of the girls.'' Lorra nodded, ''You may, but leave the purple eyed alone.'' The Lysene slave couldn't help but smile at that comment. ''If she'll go unscathed, she might be worth two gross of dragons. When you're done, tell Eight to give the cattle slavebread.'' ''Ofcourse my lady.''
Slavebread was a type of food they'd give girls on their ship, it was bread mixed with sawdust. As Karson, Lorra herself prefered the Whiskerfish the crew stole a few days ago from a Cog with the coat of arms of House Dalt. The pirates killed off most of the crew, but didn't touch the girl who was on the ship as a Cabin Girl and turned out to be the daughter of a merchant. Lorra estimated that due to her young age, lack of knowledge and her asymmetrical face she'd be worth no more then halve a hundred dragons.

The Fourth Sister was on her way to Gulltown, the biggest city in the Vale. The atmosphere was lovely as always and the fresh western wind caused the freshed smell of the Mountains of the Moon to reach the city. The city was one of Lorra's favorites in Westeros and it helped that she was on good terms with Lord Grafton and Roland Arryn. Lorra always made sure to have good connections within the cities she wanted to auction and besides Duskendale, Gulltown was one of her safest places to be in.

It was two days later and the auction was going to start soon in a bankrupt tavern just outside of the city. The building was recently bought by Lord Grafton and Lorra was allowed to make use of it today. Around twenty people, among them some notable names, would be competing over the girls. Two Magisters from Pentos and one from Myr, Lord Rykker, Lord Cave, Lord Upcliff, a lot of brothel keepers, a few knights and a wealthy Tyroshi were her costumers for today. She hasn't seen any of the Scarlet members, although she sent a raven to ten of the members about this auction.

''My name is Osric, I'm here on behalve of Lord Baelish.''
''I am Ser Blane Rivers.''
''Masha Heddle.''
''I'm Illyrio Mopatis, Magister of Pentos.''
''I am Lord Renfred Rykker.''

Every auction began by the introduction of eachother. Lorra noted relatively quickly after she decided to auction her slaves within a small community illegaly in Westeros, a lot of them used this meeting to netwerk and she wanted her costumers to be as happy with the auction as possible.
''And my name is Lorra Sunderland, Lady of the Waves and Captain of the Fourth Sister. I stand before you with some gorgeous girls. Twelve Lysene goddesses, three Tyroshi beauties and a Dornish lowborn from Lemonwood, aren't they lovely?'' Lorra asked while walking infront of the slaves who were put in a line on display without any clothes. All of the girls clearly felt uncomfortable and a few showed a tear on their cheek.
''Most of you know the rules, but our virgins I'll name them again. Don't touch the slaves untill they are your property. Don't tell anybody about future meetings. For my fellow-Westerosi, don't get caught with your lifestock.''
Lorra gestured one of her slaves to take a step forward. The Lysene girl had long silvir hair, was rather small and was born around eighteen years ago, her breasts were small and pointy and she wore a mess of scars on her lower legs and feet, her former master clearly loved to use his scourge. The captain hoped that the girl would be worth around a hundred-ten gold dragons.
''We will start bidding at 200 and go down from there. 200.. 195.. 190.. 185.. 180.. 175.. 170.. 165..''

“Who here is Ser Brydan?” A loud voice demanded.

At first Brydan didn’t reply, taking immense interest in his tankard. He never trusted the local authorities. They could be under orders from the late King to ensure the Velaryon sprout didn’t outlast him. It could be certain relatives of a dead merchant looking for revenge. They could just as easily be friends and allies of his. He glanced very conspicuously to see just who the messenger was, nearly laughing aloud at his own paranoia. A maester in grey robes and a thick chain of many metals was at the threshold of the tavern, glancing about with annoyance. Harmless enough. Brydan raised his hand in signal and the man promptly approached, looking quite annoyed at his delayed response. “A raven came for you. You have proof of identity?”

Brydan showed the hilt of his sword, having the sigil of House Velaryon embedded in its brass surface. The maester seemed satisfied. “Do you want me to read you the message?” The grey-haired man asked impatiently.

“I can read well enough.” Brydan shot back. People judged by his poor appearance and profession as a hedge-knight that he was illiterate and stupid. He snatched the small scroll of parchment and waited until the maester left. Then he read it. Then he smiled and finished his mead in one go. Interesting news.

“Ah, Lorra.” Brydan mused, remembering a certain little incident on a certain little merchant vessel several years back. He paid his fare for the drinks then collected his gear, heading off to a certain discreet tavern on the edge of the port-settlement, beyond where the local town guards patrolled. For the profession that Lorra happened to be involved in, it was wise to find such low-key harbours to port at to avoid drawing attention. It was a short walk there, leaving the settlement by an unmarked north road that followed the coast. He passed a few hamlets and homes, mostly ignored, until he came to an unmarked structure with stone foundations and wooden, sand-swept walls. Judging by the presence of strong horses with rich saddles and embroidery, as well as several guards in many forms of livery, Brydan had some idea of what was going on.

He took a nice vantage point by the entrance, crossing his arms with the hood of his cloak falling over his face as he observed the proceedings. A dozen or more slave girls were lined up on a stage, frightened and bound, while men in rich clothing and flashy jewelry bid on their price of sale. His eyes drank them fully, absorbing their every detail with a soft smile and a small fire of arousal in his abdomen. He did not expect Lorra to have become so successful in the time since he had last seen her. Apparently she became quite the successful slaver and pirate, and woe to her if the Court at King’s Landing caught whiff of her trade. Thankfully, another King had them bottled up at the present, allowing many underworld types to ply their trade without interference for the time being. He watched as various girls were bought and sold, at prices that Brydan would have killed to have in his own pocket. He couldn’t even afford the cheapest of prices bid so far, causing him to bristle with jealousy.

Brydan Velaryon made no move to make himself known, remaining in the shadows near the entrance as his eyes wandered in search for the pirate captain. This was her auction and sure enough, there she was, center stage dictating the rules. When he saw some foreigners from across the narrow sea, he spat openly on the floor as he mumbled a curse at them, despising their kind entirely. He knew this was Lorra’s gig, but perhaps she wouldn’t be against him robbing one or two of the foreign scum when they set out.

When next he saw Lorra's eyes sweep the crowd, he would gesture to her, letting her know he was here if she wished to speak to him. Respectfully, he would wait until business was concluded before he did so himself.

''140.. 135.. 130.. 125.. 120.. 115.. 110.. 105.. 100.. 95..'' And Lorra got interrupted. Finally! The girl paid eighty dragons for this girl and she better started to make some money. ''She's mine.'' said Lord Rykker with smile to try and comfort the girl he just bought. ''All yours, Lord Rykker.'' Lorra responded and hinted at the girl that she could walk towards her new owner. The Lysene girl listened well and did what was expected of her.
''Brōzi?'' Lord Rykker asked his slave what her name was in a most broken form of Valyrian. ''Āeksio brōzagon Saela.'' The Lord looked at her as if he just heard a monkey shit as he gave Lorra a bag of dragons. Lorra looked a bit annoyed by this interaction and didn't understand why he'd care to try and communicate with his slave at all. She thought it would be the same to conversate with your sheep, but didn't let this opinion show as it'd be bad for buisness. ''Ger name is Saela, my Lord.'' Lorra replied and gladly accepted the bag to throw it into Tristan's - her First Mate - hands and let him count the dragons.

In the corner of her eye Lorra caught a new face and she couldn't help showing her pride in a reserved smile. The man who saved her life once and made sure she could enter the Scarlet Rose had come to visit her auction. Brydan Valeryon was the only person for whom she'd risk her life, although she would never admit that. Their relationship was hard to understand for outsiders to say the least, both personalities had a major ego, both cared fuck all about what other people thought of them and both expected others to adapt to their norms instead of the other way around.
Brydan saved Lorra's life once, just before she started getting into piracy. If there would've been a different bodyguard on the ship wich should've brought her to Essos nearly five years ago, she would've most likely been dead by now. Lorra owed everything she had to this man, but would never admit that and didn't think he would expect her to think that. Both were aware of him being her hero, but it had never been spoken out in such a fashion.

''Rolan Salt, you're up, I'm going to catch up with my costumers.'' The Captain lied and knew Rolan would do a good job in auctioning off a few of the bedslaves. Rolan was a lowborn swordsmen in her crew, but was a nice backup in meetings as he was very social and polite.

Lorra managed to withhold her nervosity as she walked towards Brydan, her messy braids dancing with each step she took.Although the girl didn't give her hair much attention, she loved being busy with her looks. Unfortunately her way of life didn't give her much chance to do so, but luckily she had time for a trip to the bathhouse this morning. Lorra wore a long white cotton dress with blue and silvir decorations. The girl bought this dress a while ago when they were in Lorath, after raiding a fishing village two leagues east of Braavos.
When Lorra stood across Brydan she gave him a polite not as a greeting. ''Didn't expect the bastard of Driftmark to show up here.'' stated Lorra with a teasing smile on her face. Although it didn't show, the pirate was really happy that he had come to visit her. ''How have you been?''

Brydan espied Lorra approaching them, though he curled his lips in disgust when he saw her wearing a fashionable dress that seem to shout Essos up and down its length. Never mind that it showed off her curvaceous body beneath its white fabric. Normally he might have made an insulting gesture to any one he saw hailing from that land, but his own relationship and knowledge of Lorra’s past prevented him from doing so. Even though their own homelands seemed to hold little prospects for the wayward nobles that they were, it was still their home. At least, that was how Brydan saw it. As Lorra came before him, he uncrossed his arms and laid a hand on the hilt of his sword, while the other hooked into his belt. He smiled back, then quirked an eyebrow at her greeting.

“You called, I came. Though I myself am just as surprised as you.” He said, his eyes scanning over the stage to where the captive women were lined up. “From exile to slaver. How easily you might have been in their position. Lacking a bit in the empathy trade, aren’t we?” Brydan said teasingly, bringing his gaze back to her. He shrugged then. “I’ve been fine as you can see. Still living, still surviving. Not as well as you obviously.” He straightened his posture and stepped forward to Lorra, throwing an arm around her shoulders and giving her a small, friendly shake. “It’s good to see you again. It’s been too long. Come on, let’s find a drink. There’s some things we should discuss.”

It was Lorra’s establishment, however temporary, which meant she would be the one providing the ale. He knew in her profession that there certainly wasn’t any real absence of mead or wine, and for what he did for her in the past, he didn’t really think she might begrudge him a drink. If anything, he might have been the one selling her into slavery, rather than her doing the same for these poor women. Once they had a tankard in hand, he clinked his cup against hers in a small toast then drank deeply, watching the proceedings of the auction take place.

“I’m sure you heard about the war going on. The War of Five Kings. Though in my opinion, none of those five kings hold any real credibility to me. Without the Targaryens, it’s only a matter of time before Westeros reverts back to its old ways. Which is to say, seven kingdoms with seven different rulers.” Brydan began, giving Lorra a look to see if she had some semblance or knowledge of what exactly was taking place here in the past few months. Being at sea could sometimes isolate one from the reality of events. Having travelled over much of the continent lately, Brydan felt he had some grasp of the situation.

“If you aren’t busy, I thought we might head into town and check to see if Lord Arryn is around. If he is the type of man I think he is, he would surely have a plan on how to benefit from this war. The opportunities that could arise might be very beneficial for us, or profitable. What do you say, Lorra? You want to keep pirating around the seas until you’re caught? Or you want to try to be a part of something bigger?”

Lorra pulled an eyebrow up, seemingly insulted by the fact that Brydan called her a slaver. She didn't see herself as a slaver, she thought of this as a decent sidejob for the piratelife. She sailed a lot and she could easily bring some girls if she went from the Three Whores too Westeros or Pentos where the pricetags on slaves were a lot bigger. The growing connections within the trading buiseness also could spark up some oppertunities, she figured. The freebooter decided not to reply at his comment, knowing that he meant too tease.
''I'm glad you haven't changed Brydan, you shall drink untill my Dornish is either exhausted or back on the floor.'' She said and gestured Theo, to get them two cups of wine out of their cask. The cask was in the middle of the room and everybody felt free too fill their cups. A black vulture was burned on the cask, making it obvious the wine came from Blackmont, it was a decent wine and cam from the same ship Lorra's only Dornish slave came. "Drink as much as you'd like.''

Everything Lorra knew about the civil war, she knew indirectly. The girl hasn't been in Westeros since the war started. Rumours tended to hold some truth, although most of the times they were exaggerated. However she hasn't been here the whole time, she felt like she knew enough to disagree with the Westeros citizen. ''If it will be devided, there will be five kingdoms.'' She said. ''The Trouts and Wolves will lay with eachother for a long time. The Lannisters seem to be happy with their new king. The Reach and Renly will fuck up Salty Stannis and most of the Dornish seem to have some sort of sympathy for Renly and most of the Vale is hyped about the Young Wolf. King Robb, King Joffrey, King Renly, King Greyjoy and maybe King Martell. Plausible, but if Renly was to produce an heir, I think he's legitimate and populair enough to unite the continent, even the North would be back in with a little diplomacy.''

Meanwhile she already made hundred-eighty gold dragons two sales Rolan had provided for her. ''I am not saying that it isn't possible for that the kingdoms will be devided, but most Westerosi merchants I've spoken gamble on Renly, with the exception of Valish and Northerners who love the King in the North. Assuming the Dornish will join Renly when he kills his brother to avenge Elia's death, the Triarchy of the south will be too strong for little Joffrey, King Robb or the Kraken.''

The girl nodded when Brydan suggested they should visit Roland Arryn later today. ''After the auction I'll make some smalltalk with my costumers first, but ofcourse we can visit Lord Roland. Looking to get Driftmark, are you?''

-> If you wish to skip some time, feel free. ;]

Dornish? Lorra was too generous and Brydan almost repented of his earlier remarks to her. Almost.

He listened to her analysis of the political situation in Westeros, nodding his head where he thought her correct, but pursuing his lips when he felt her statements were not exactly agreeable. But of course, what did it matter to him? These high lords cared little for down on their luck nobles like he and Lorra. Not until they found themselves in a similar situation, where they would most likely make fools of themselves begging for assistance or charity. Not Brydan. He would win his own spot back and Scarlet Rose would be his vehicle in doing so. Lorra had certainly proven it was not over when one lost their inheritance, becoming quite successful herself as a pirate.

“Regardless of who comes out on top, it will be a bloody mess. Plenty of room for…title exchanges.” Brydan remarked with a sly smile, raising his eyebrows as he finished his drink to that. That is exactly why he had come here. With his fellow members, perhaps they could ultimately benefit from this chaos, taking whichever side seemed to suit them most. “You place a lot of hope in Renly. Just because he has the largest army doesn’t make him the most likely to succeed. He might outnumber Stannis ten to one in foot and horse, but Stannis has something far more valuable; experience. He has a fleet too. A pretty strong one. I’m sure you know all about it.” He looked at her curiously, wondering if she encountered any of it on her voyage between here and Esso. It seemed unlikely however, as Stannis was concentrating his ships around Dragonstone. Even Brydan’s kinsman, the current Lord of Driftmark, had thrown in with him.

When she guessed correctly at his intentions, he merely shrugged and moved to refill his tankard, feeling the drink starting to intoxicate him. Good company, plus a nice view of beautiful slave girls, was really adding to the effect. “It doesn’t take an intelligent maester to figure that out. And I’m sure you would love the opportunity to port your pretty little ship there as well. But yes, we’ll talk later. When you are finished with your little…game, we will go see in Lord Arryn is in town. Hopefully he is, because I don’t want to sail around Westeros looking for him.” He shrugged and let her go off about her business.

He remained where he was, pacing himself with the wine and observing the proceeds of her employ. Pirating was not exactly agreeable with him and he personally preferred being Lord of a small island than a pirate captain with a fleet. When Lorra finished up her tasks and came to rejoin him, he casually tossed his tankard to the side and gestured with his head for her to follow. “Made quite a killing on those sales, didn’t you? Come on. I think Roland has a manor outside the port. We’ll check there first and if he’s not there, we’ll go to the home he has inside the town. When was the last time you saw him? It’s been a while for me. And what about the others? Did you send ravens to them as well?”

Lorra tried to have a bit of class when she's on shore, thus sipped some wine instead of throwing it through her throat. The girl didn't believe Brydan to understand his situation and she didn't know if she should or shouldn't explain her point of view. His father was fighting for Stannis and in Lorra's eyes Stannis was the least likely to come out on top of this situation. Both The Lannisters and Renly had the greater numbers and the populairity, she couldn't think of a way that Stannis could win this war. Velaryon was one of the houses supporting Stannis, the only thing Brydan needed to do to get Driftmark is to fight for Renly in this war. The current rulers would be send to the wall and Renly would rightfully give Brydan Driftmark. ''Title exchanges favour the winning side. I'd kindly advice you to gamble smart, not with passion.''
If The Three Sisters were in The North, she would've already signed herself up for a spot in Renly's army. She heard rumours that he already had loads of ladies in her army and that one lady even joined his Kingsguard, although she couldn't believe that part of the rumour. The girl had to admit that she was guilty of fantasizing about getting the Sisters under her control, but the Vale was patient and the oppertunities for girls were small in the realm. She had a better chance ruling an island in the Stepstones at some point.

Lorra smiled from ear to ear when her purple eyed slavegirl was sold. She would be on her way to work for Lord Baelish, but more importantly she was a two hundred twenty gold dragons richer by this transaction. Lord Rykker looked disappointed, he sure wanted this girl. ''My best sale.'' The pirate claimed with pride as the girl walked towards the boy that Baelish sent to do his bidding.

''If you get Driftmark, I'll have my ship in your port. After all, you've destroyed mine.'' Lorra said with a smile, hinting at a sexual experience the two had some year ago. She was really glad that Brydan had visited her, she'd missed him and she wished they could meet more often. ''Give me fifteen minutes, and we'll visit Roland's manor.''
Lorra first had to check up with her crew, giving them instructions on how many of them had to remain in the ship tonight and wich duo would be responsible for guarding the money untill she got back. The girl had a small bag with stags already, so deviding the money amongst the crew could wait another day.

When she had shaken the hands of every costumer and spoke to the most important pieces of her crew, Lorra got back to Brydan. ''Show me the way.''

''If you get Driftmark, I'll have my ship in your port. After all, you've destroyed mine.”

Brydan grinned at the comment, recalling that night very profoundly and vividly. The two of them alone, adrift on a ship full of dead sailors and merchants which they together had killed. The captain’s cabin had plenty of wine and a comfy bed then. One thing had led to another and true to her comment, he had completely wrecked her port. “Take all the time you need.” Brydan merely responded, not answering the earlier, lewd comment. But when she had gone, it was all he mused about as he tried to regain some sobriety. He needed a clear mind when they went to go see their mutual friend in town.

A quarter hour later, Lorra returned, a heavy purse of coin at her side which Brydan eyed with a bit of envy. He himself had perhaps about a dozen stags to his name, which is why he really hoped that Roland Arryn was in town. He was intelligent and rich, not to mention skilled with a blade, and would no doubt know how to make the best of this upcoming war. There would definitely be a chance for warriors like Brydan to prove themselves once again. Above all else, he desired the seat of Driftmark, though neither he nor his father had even been in line for it. His cousins were inept however and swearing allegiance to one of the weaker Kings would surely prove to be their downfall. All Brydan had to figure out was how to maneuver himself as the best likely candidate.

Surely Roland and Lorra would be willing to take on this plan. Driftmark was an island in the Blackwater, larger than Dragonstone, with a full port and several settlements. For merchants like those two, it was a perfect base and Brydan was more than happy to accommodate their ships, whether for supplies or in Lorra’s case, to lay low.

With his pirate friend, Brydan led them back to the main section of Gulltown, trying to recall the path towards Roland’s manor just outside of it. Not only did the one-time maester and successful merchant own a small fleet, but two homes as well! He clearly had a cunning mind if he could rack up such wealth, not to mention keeping his fighting abilities honed. “This is yet. Let’s see if he’s at home.” Brydan said, pounding his fist several times on the outer door, then stepping back as he waited for an answer. He glanced over him and Lorra, hoping their appearances would not cause one of Roland’s servants to shoo them off as beggars. Well him at least. Lorra looked decent for a pirate captain, even with her messy hair.

“Next time you raid one of those ships with silks from the east, you need to gift me a nice robe.” He said to Lorra as they waited for an answer. If Roland wasn’t here, they would try his house inside Gulltown proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom