Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Halo (for the nerdy and obsessed).

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Ok. So, not overly long ago, I happened upon this by accident. I blame Netflix entirely, you see. I own no Xbox, in fact I've never owned a single incarnation of the console and probably never will...it's just not my platform. Then, there's the added fact that I'm not one for FPSs in general. I often times get VERY motion sick with them. As a result, I tend to just royally suck when I attempt to play and, well, sucking and feeling ill all to play a game...? Yeah, it's not a fun time.

But anyway, Netflix had been blaring Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn at me for quite some time now. Months actually, if I'm dead honest about it. However, due to the fact that I hadn't played a single game and being certain I probably never would (given I own no Xbox and stay away from FPSs on a whole), I just ignored this recommendation that Netflix made.

And continued to make....over and over and over.

Until I couldn't stand it.

I will say that the tiny bit I knew of Halo always intrigued me on some level. You have scifi and aliens. I love both. So, of course that has a bit of a calling to want to learn more. So, finally, I said 'what the hell' and dared to look up reviews on the movie to see if having ZERO knowledge on the games would matter. All reviews said that it would not. As such, my mind had been made up...I'd take the plunge.

WELL..........

Little did I know what this would unleash within me. >////////////<

I watch Forward Unto Dawn. I'm completely and utterly transfixed throughout, though by the end of the film, there are no words to describe that level of transfixed. It's more like...hypnotized? I don't even know. All I do know is that I immediately went online and started to research. The pull was THAT strong. <.< I first searched Wikipedia and pretty much exhausted that. Meaning, I think I've read almost everything there is on it regarding the lore. >.< That also led me to halowaypoint.com. There, I started to read even more....and I found the books as well.

And yes, I got them all. Well, all the ones currently released (and I'm aware that more are on the way). I've determined both publication release order along with chronological order of all these books so that I have a feel for how everything flows in the time line. I've read....so much....oh god, so much. And while I'm still piecing together the full details, I already have a run down of the basics--and this is after just a few days. >///////<

Anyway, I'm delving hardcore into the books now (starting with The Fall of Reach). So, I was wondering.....how many other Halo nerds are out there??? I plan to watch all the game cut scenes and well, just about anything I can. I have also watched Halo: Legends, which was wonderful. I loved how it gave a nice over arching feel of how things came to be with both Origins I and II along with glimpses into some of the other Spartans lives amongst other things. Just...guh.

I had no idea that deciding, on a whim no less, to watch a movie would lead me down this path....yet here I am. Completely and totally OBSESSED. And yes, I'd say that is the correct word for it and I'm quite all right with that.

So again, any other Halo lore nerds out there? I'd love to discuss just...well...because... >///< Do keep in mind where I'm at. But even still...just, I'm bursting here. And I cannot help it. I love it all so much. >//////////<

Surprise, surprise, guess who is first to answer this call?
On the same level that I nerd out on LoTR, I do the same for Halo. It really is an amazing story, books and games included.

I have all the books as well, except some of the more recent ones (such as New Blood). Some go together, like the first three which revolve around the events before, during, and after the first Halo game (and Halo: Reach). The Cole Protocol is a great book which fits into these early events of the Human-Covenant War as well. I still recall the fascination and desire to gobble up all the new lore I could before the release of the next game. I've been hooked for over half my life I think.

I even used to watch the fan videos and movies people made using the game engines and all.

But my favorite part of Halo would definitely be the Forerunner Trilogy. If there ever was a series of books that captured a sense of impending doom (the Flood, the firing of the Halo array), corruption, moral incompetence, and all other things necessary in bringing down a galactic-spanning empire, it is those three books. The relationship between the Didact and Librarian, the ethical debate of the Halo rings, the unstoppable onset of the Flood, such a great dynamic! Combine them with the Halo 3 terminal transcripts (you can find them on the wikia), it really builds a harrowing tale of those last days of such a great people, and their eventual conclusion.

Sanghelli (Elite) culture is also great to explore. Very martial people, brutal to fight in game, and utterly loyal to their kin and cause. You are first given an insight to them in the Cole Protocol (including a very important character who is in the games and some other books), and even more so in the Kilo-Three Trilogy.

Anyways, I'm more than willing to discuss any segment or section of Halo lore!

*Raises hand*

I'm not really that fresh on Halo lore since I got obsessed with it in 2012 after playing Halo Reach(Noble 6 is so fucking cool), but I have been meaning to give the books a try since I'm actually pretty bad at the game itself and haven't been able to play one without someone holding my hand.

Forward unto Dawn was a great movie, I really enjoyed the direction it took.

I've read all the basics. Meaning, I'm aware of the Covenant and how they worship the Forerunners...collecting their artifacts and the like. I know why they seek to destroy humans and how they accidentally unleashed the Flood that had gone into stasis. I'm aware of the Precursors--though they are still a bit of an anomaly. Just that they were the first and preceded the Forerunners. Anyway, I know that the Forerunners wiped out existence with the use of the Halo megastructures, making sure to store away enough to reseed and thus reststart life after activating them--their last desperate hope to rid the universe of the Flood. Knowing it did.....nothing. *shivers* That says a lot to me. >.<

Fast forwarding, I'm aware of Halsey and her role in helping to create the Spartans. Because I've seen some things that jump timeline a little, I know that it started with Insurrection and led to so much more. Something so much greater. And darker. Right now I'm reading Fall of Reach. The Spartans have been trained and augmented and are about to embark on their first REAL mission. Watching them evolve is chilling. And knowing John is just...guh. I got to know him a bit in Forward Unto Dawn and a bit more in Legends since he is one of the 'shorts'. I'm also aware that he's one of the mains of the games. But anyway, watching evolve and become what I saw in Forward Unto Dawn is just WOW. And knowing that more will soon be thrown at everyone.

I'm beside myself. >/////<

The Halo array did do its mission, I think. The Flood that remained were only the specimens in confinement and contained, which the stupid Covenant just had to release. But the sacrifice in doing so is just....wow. But from what I can gleam, hopefully, not all Forerunners were killed. A very small amount survived the activation, though what happens to them is a mystery. They undertake the "Great Journey", which once again the Covenant misinterpret. And then there are the shield worlds, which you will most likely get into as you progress through the books. I don't want to say too much though. Be sure to read the Terminal transcripts!

Ahh, Halsey. Criminal or hero? What she did was extreme, but was it necessary? Hindsight dictates it was. I love her though. She does what is necessary and is not blinded by ethics or morality. Her and Keyes at the beginning of the book were cute though. They have a kid you know, during that phase.

Good ole Blue Team. Other than John, Kelly is my favorite, followed by Fred. Kelly has a few badass moments that I think you will love in the coming books. I recall that first mission. Remember it when you read Halo: The First Strike.

Oohh....well, that I wasn't quite aware of. I'm sure I'll find out in due time though. In fact, I know I will. Regardless, rather chilling that they were on board. Waiting. Whether just in their own form of stasis or because it was decided to place remnants of them there (though why take such a risk???).

Ah yes. I like Keyes. I've met him already. It'll be cool to see how he plays into things given what you mentioned. *nods* I like Halsey too. She definitely has a code and sticks to it. I rather like that about her. She also has a decent set of ethics for a scientist. One unique thing they went in depth on was her desire to be blunt and forthright. I found that nifty--especially in a female who was also a scientist. Allowed me to relate, I suppose. XD And while her methods were extreme, she always questioned and stuck to her code and remained honest with her Spartans. At least from what I've seen so far.

Hehe.....I love Blue Team!!!!!!!!!! Kelly is kickass! She's fast and badass! What's not to love? I loved reading the bit where Halsey watched them practice 'capture the flag'. It was brilliant on every level...I mean they cut video! That was awesome! Guh! Yeah, I'm loving this and am just eager for more and to read everything. >.<

It's actually something you find out about in a "enter this series of codes in Halo Waypoint" thing. A small epilogue about the end of the Forerunner-Flood war, and the reseeding of the galaxy. You'll get to it eventually.

Halsey and her Spartans is certainly the best parts of the novels to read. Just wait until you get to First Strike, Ghosts Of Onyx, and Grasslands. Her and her "children" all grown up is pretty cute, in a very deadly sort of way. Just imagine those two meter tall, several tones of armor, efficient killing machines being totally under her sway, even as a scientist without any military rank. The latter books deal a lot with her code and conduct though, as she did kidnap children and have them replaced with clones, who all suffer from complications and die young. Plenty of grey area with her. I believe they made her personal diary into a book too if you want greater insight with her.

They certainly know how to work as a team. Everyone fits a niche. Linda with her sniping skills, Sam with his brute strength, John with his luck. Remember the training exercise when they were kids in the woods? Perfect team bonding there.

There's so much more I wanna say but I don't want to ruin the books for you! They all have their great moments.

Princess Pittooey said:
*Raises hand*

I'm not really that fresh on Halo lore since I got obsessed with it in 2012 after playing Halo Reach(Noble 6 is so fucking cool), but I have been meaning to give the books a try since I'm actually pretty bad at the game itself and haven't been able to play one without someone holding my hand.

Forward unto Dawn was a great movie, I really enjoyed the direction it took.

Noble 6 deserves his own book. He was the only other Spartan who has the same rating as John-117. "Hyper-lethal"

Ah the clones! Yes! I learned about them in Legends. <.< And yes, there's something to be said about Halsey. But I love her. Great character! And if there's a diary for her...you can bet I'll read that eventually. Lol!

Hehe....well rest assured I'll be posting updates in here as I move along through the books. I'll give my thoughts, insights, just everything on all of it as I come to it. And, by all means, point the way to additional stuff I should read or watch. I want to absorb it all!!!!!

Certainly! You'll be getting into Halo: The Flood next I assume, which is the novelization of the game. I would suggest to read the book first, then watch the game cutscenes after, which should be found on youtube.

Once you do that, watch the clips from the game terminals (a hidden collectible in the first three games, that give insight). I added the link here for future reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w07eXxzM8Pw

From the view point of a certain quirky character that will be encountered in the book/game.

Early lore is best lore, if you ask me.

And of that lore, Odd One Out is the best of the best. I love the books, and the other shorts in Halo Legends are good too, but Spartan 1337 will forever be my favorite character in all of Halo.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OESmU4LYl7U[/video]

Ah, many thanks for the links and suggestions! Trust me...I'll be asking for more! Haha!

Hehe!!! Odd One Out was AWESOME! I loved it...then, I loved all the 'shorts' in Legends. Each and every one.

Oh, question for everyone because this is the debate I've been having with myself--read via publish date OR read via chronological order. I know by starting with Fall of Reach I'm starting somewhere in the middle chronologically speaking and with the first book that was published. I figured it a good place since it would help tie into the first game and allow me to watch cut scenes from it, etc. BUT....is this wisest? Because after I read the first set of 3 books I can always jump around as needed. And I do know that there's inevitable crossover in timelines within the books. But yeah. Recommendations???

I would say publish date, because the themes of content released around the same time tend to relate, focused around whatever Halo was current then.

Also, that'll give you a clear delineation on when 343 took over for the universe.

Ok. I've been leaning this way, though I have determined where things fit chronologically because, well, I'm that enamored with the lore. So figuring out where all the books fell in the grand scheme of the timeline was important to me. >.< But anyway, I'll probably continue on the path I started then. And fill in with game cut scenes when appropriate just for the full experience and to add more depth to things. I'll be scouring halowaypoint.com as I go too. But that place is ginormous. So having people I know that I can just sort of run to is.....nice. >////////<

I'm gonna start this off by saying that I'm a PlayStation fan through and through, but of all the games on Xbox; Halo has been the one that has made me deeply consider getting one. The lore is interesting and Forward Unto Dawn is absolutely amazing. It was Forward Unto Dawn that really got me reading the lore

I'm not alone in that the movie just sucks you in!!!!!!! I swear......if you're into scifi at all and the sort who can get swept up in the awesomeness of lore......this movie just lights that spark of curiosity. And then when you start the journey into this immensely expansive universe...it's just like...HOLY SHIT!!! Yeah, it's that amazing.

Well if you want to go by the chronological order, I'll give you a list. I personally read them by their publishing date, which has its benefits as it relates to the games and such.

You should start with the first three though (Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike), as it sets the tone for the entire series, and serves as the middle point really.

Chronology
Not included: Halo: Legends videos and Halo: Evolutions short stories, cause they are all over the place.

I. The Forerunner Saga
- Cryptum (novel)
- Primordium (novel)
Concurrent: Halo 4 terminal videos.
Concurrent: Halo 3 terminal transcripts (1 - 5)
- Silentium (novel)
Concurrent: Halo 3 terminal transcripts (6) - Epic.

End with Halo: The Rebirth (a hidden audio on Halo Waypoint using codes from Silentium, but you can google a transcript of it)

II. Halo: Broken Circle (novel)

III. Human-Covenant War
Fall Of Reach (novel)
Concurrent: Contact Harvest (novel, end with Halo Wars game cutscenes)
Concurrent: Cole Protocol (novel, occurs during a time skip in Fall of Reach)
Live Action short: Birth Of A Spartan
Live Action short: Deliver Hope
Live Action short: Remember Reach
End with Halo: Reach game cutscenes

Forward Unto Dawn movie

The Flood (novel)
Concurrent: Halo 1: CE
Concurrent: Halo 1 terminal videos

First Strike (novel)

Halo 2 game cutscenes
Concurrent: Halo 2 terminal videos

Live Action short: Landfall
Halo short: Believe (Halo 3 trailer)
Halo 3 game cutscenes
Concurrent: Halo 3 terminal transcripts (7, probably just read these altogether)
Live Action short: The Life (ODST trailer)
Concurrent: Halo: ODST game cutscenes (and terminal videos and transcripts)
Live Action shorts: Enemy Weapon, Gravesite, Hunted, Museum,

Ghosts of Onyx (novel, starts after Contact Harvest and is concurrent with Halo 3)

IV. Post Human-Covenant War
Grasslands (novel)
Thursday War (novel)
Mortal Dictata (novel)

Hunters In The Dark (novel)

Last Light (Haven't read yet, but revolves around Blue Team post Human-Covenant War)
New Blood (Haven't read yet, but is set during the Human-Covenant War and after, follows the characters of Halo: ODST)
Saint's Testimony (Haven't read yet, but is about a smart AI and their perspective)
Shadow Of Intent (Haven't read yet, but is set around a Covenant cruiser and its history during the Human-Covenant war and most likely after)

V. Reclaimer Trilogy
Halo: Nightfall (short movie)

Halo 4 game cutscenes
Halo 5 game cutscenes (plus Intel audios)

There are various comics too, but I haven't even looked at those either. You can check them out. They are usually standalone missions, or visualizations of certain books. I know there is one about the Spartan-IIs during their training as children, revolving around events in Fall of Reach.

Hrmmm.....I'll go by publishing date. And your chronology looks like mine. However you added in the cut scenes. So this is nice. XD I think you have a few other vids too. So I'll be looking into those as well. No joke, I'm going to be absorbing EVERYTHING. I don't think people realize just what I mean when I say this. >//////<

The videos add a little realism to the series. They really need to make a proper movie about Halo!

Anyways, when you got questions, me and the others will hopefully have answers.

Indeed. And you can bet I'll be posting to this thread fairly often. Pretty much any time someone decides to just discuss the topic because well....HALO!!!! >/////< I could blather on for quite a bit just because I'm utterly fascinated, enamored, you name it. And, of course, as I learn things my excitement will only grow and I'll want to share in that with anyone who gives a shit. LOL! XD So, I figure a thread like this is a place where that just might happen. Maybe.... <.< lol. But anyway, I'll be watching. And posting. And inquiring. And sharing. hehe.

Honestly I think my favorite bit of Halo material was the ad campaign for Halo 3. It was just so dark and hopeless and bleak. They did a couple of mock documentaries set something like 50 years after the war, with these aging veterans touring a museum of Covenant War artifacts and talking about their experiences. Powerful stuff, not what you normally expect from a video game. Sadly, I wound up on a PS4 this console generation so I'm waiting on a PC port of Halo 5 before I can experience that.

I often consider the issue with the Flood organisms surviving on the Halo rings. Like why study them? I think, after staring down defeat and extinction, the Forerunners' plan had to have a backup in place. They knew that there was a chance, however slim, that the Flood would survive in some tiny pocket of the universe and come back after untold aeons. And without the Forerunners to stop it, the Flood might consume the galaxy entirely, or even spread beyond. So I think the Flood organisms that remained on Halo were part of an automated experiment set up in ages past, with all the monitors and sentinels programmed to research how to kill these things so that the next campaign would be more successful.

Here's how I see the issue with Flood organisms on the rings. They were being researched during their war, but certain events caused the Forerunners to fire the array prematurely, as the Flood had gotten so powerful at that point that they simply couldn't be held off anymore. The Forerunners did have a plan, which was to move all their surviving population into shield worlds (artificial worlds located in slipspace) that could have survived the halo effect. Maybe some Forerunner populations did survive, but the Flood advance moved too quickly before the preparations could be completed. So the Array was fired, all living specimen in the galaxy died, including the scientists who were studying the Flood to try and find a weakness. The monitors and other sentinels repopulated the galaxy and finished the research, but there was no one to share their conclusions with anymore so they sorta just laid low.

Whatever they discovered though didn't really help, as in Halo 2 the sentinels of that particular ring (the fifth out of seven) have been engaged in combat with the Flood organisms who broke out of contaminant for nearly 100,000 years. Thankfully, because of the isolation of the rings, the Flood couldn't really escape and do much damage either.

Back
Top Bottom