Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

diffrent dimensions and God

David Merlyn

Super-Earth
Ok so with the discovery that a particle can be in two places at one time, and simulated time travel with photons, also included is the ability to teleport a particle to a controlled location, with all the discovery out there breaking sci-fi fantasy these days is it hard to not believe in other dimensions.

Now before I get bashed I do not believe in God as in the Christian way. I do think there is something else out there, but what I can not say. However I can say science is making it clear we don't know everything and that in my opinion if there is a God/Gods that he/them are quite possible extra dimensional beings that we can not yet interact with. Anyone have any thoughts on God/Gods? Remember I'm not attacking any religion or anyone holding to their belief I'm simply curious.

This topic is heavier than what you typically find in GD. I suggest tweaking it up a bit and then contacting myself or one of my sub-admin (Broomhandle45 or Razgriz) so that it can be moved to the BMA (Academy) section to be proofed, etc for approval for debate/discussion over there. That said, take a peek in that section and read the stickies so that you know the basic guidelines for posting. You can even peruse some of the other posts to get an idea of what's been approved in the past. Thanks! : )

As what miss darkangel said, I suggest limiting the topic to say, time travel or teleportation since those topics are good for discussion themselves. Having a general topic like this may be good but might give people a harder time to focus on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/09/06/physicists-quantum-teleport-photons-over-88-miles/

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jun/cover

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/physicists-prove-time-travel-possible-by-sending-particles-light-into-past-1453839

http://phys.org/news/2015-01-atoms.html

Some fun links that don't quite prove things but they do show the possibility where things could go

The first is using 'teleportation' as a buzzword - What they're actually talking about is passing information over a quantum bond. Very cool, and will one day power an internet between planets, but not teleportation.

And the other two are just discussions of quantum phenomena tied to buzzwords as well. I'm sorry, there was no time travel, either. Just probability.

The best part is, the second source you offered defeats the possibility of 'multiple dimensions', as one of the main points.

"The runner-up explanation is an even stranger view of reality. Called the many worlds interpretation, it was proposed in 1957 by Princeton University doctoral candidate Hugh Everett III. Its adherents take the laws of quantum theory at face value: Every possible quantum outcome really exists—but in worlds parallel to our own. In one universe, Penrose is talking with me in Oxford; in another, he is watching a monster-truck rally. From this perspective, people and particles behave much the same way. We just do not see them in many places at the same time because each potential location is tucked away in a different universe.

Penrose cannot believe anyone finds either the Copenhagen interpretation or the many worlds picture satisfactory. “If you take the equations of quantum mechanics up to the level where you can actually see things going on, you’re driven to an absurd viewpoint. People are led into views of the world which are pretty fantastical. And rather than say, ‘This is a bit wild, let’s try to do something a bit more common sense-ish,’ they come up with theories that are completely wild.”"

So, in conclusion, it would seem you argued your own point into irrelevance?

I wasn't trying to make a point just see opinions from others, the sources I sited are examples of science pushing the limits of what we still consider either impossible or highly improbable. Time travel teleportation ect I was simply pointing out that they are not impossible and that being the case could open the door for further discussion about where God/Gods could fit into science. In a nutshell I'm asking people where they see God and the advancement of science going and how they relate to eachother.

Do we still view God and science separate? Does science have to battle God or is it slowly becoming a way to understand Him and how is able to create all he did, instead of it simply being a matter of acceptance. Example if a particle can be in two place at one time or teleportation were possible at a macro level then some things would be understood and not just accepted.

I'm not sure I really follow. Because quantum mechanics and things on the micro-level are extremely complex and counter-intuitive, and it is reasonable to hypothesize that there may be multiple dimensions/universes, that means that God (or a higher power) might exist? Darwins Theory of Evolution is complex and counter-intuitive, but it does not require a God to function.

In any discussion about God it is important to be clear on terms. What do you mean by God?

A supernatural being? That I am highly skeptical of, seeing as there has been no evidence for supernatural causation. Everything we have ever discovered about the Universe has come about by naturalistic causes, not supernatural ones.

A very complex highly intelligent being? Perhaps. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. But that doesn't mean this hypothetical being is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscience (ignoring the logical fallacies of having all three of these traits) or even cares about human affairs. So why call it God?

Have thought of GOD for years. When I look at images of stars and galaxies in the visible universe: I find it interesting to be in a universe that makes humanity so pointless. Then I think to myself, the universe of those images happen more them 10,000 light years away. And 10,000 years ago: early humans were living in caves and sleeping and performing functions of the body that they had to sleep in. Really, if there is a GOD he really screwed up with us.

Back
Top Bottom