Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Best NES game

Which NES game is the best?

• Total voters
I put my NES emulator at 8x speed and beat Final Fantasy in under 4 hours from start to finish.

Was never quite sure what to make of that.

Metroid. Amazing twist with the first powerful and GOOD role model in gaming (other M excluded) not to mention we talk about Metroidvania games now a days, but Metroid had that style before as Castlevania started with a level progression and that really put it ahead there for me. LoZ had some amazing iconic songs... but only like 3 songs in that whole game though I will say matched for exploration. Megaman couldn't match the depth final fantasy did not have enough story for me. I feel like many of these games are great games, but Metroid just did so many things just as good or better.

Castlevania 3 is the best nes one while I would out dragon warrior/quest new games as the superior Nes RPGs to FF 1-3 I have to say it is between mega man 2 and Mario 3. I love both these games but have to give a slight edge to Mario 3 the game play is so deep and good.

Gizmo990 said:
Final fantasy was the best on that list but your missing the best one out there chrono trigger.

Well Final Fantasy 1 came out way late in the NES life cycle and 2&3were never released in the US on NES as far as I know, which is why I didn't pick them. Which is why FF4 was originally FF2 in the US. Also Chrono Trigger despite being a great games is still a SNES game and not a NES game, which is why it isn't on that list. The guys from that Enix were making DQ/DW games during the NES games alone.

Out of that list, Legend of Zelda. Lost track of how many times I've replayed that game.

And I like MM3 better than 2, being honest.

Have you guys checked out Recca? I know Gradius is a classic, but that shmup makes the NES look like an arcade machine. It's amazing.

I'd pick Blaster Master if there was "Other" hehe.

Of the choices it's a tough one between LoZ, SMB3, and Metroid. But I went with Metroid because the atmosphere is amazing.

It'd have to be something with a 3 after the title. Mario 3 is excellent, of course. Really pushed the system. Ninja Gaiden 3 deserves special mention as well, for being ridiculously ahead of the curve on storytelling and art design. I'm kind of bewildered that you mention Castlevania and not Castlevania 3, which is superior in any way you care to mention, even taking a few cues from Ninja Gaiden for the intro movie.

Gradius is probably my favorite, though. Even though the NES port is crap, even though the original game pales compared to later entries. I just love that series so much. I'm glad it went out on such an incredibly high note, but I miss it.

Trygon said:
It'd have to be something with a 3 after the title. Mario 3 is excellent, of course. Really pushed the system. Ninja Gaiden 3 deserves special mention as well, for being ridiculously ahead of the curve on storytelling and art design. I'm kind of bewildered that you mention Castlevania and not Castlevania 3, which is superior in any way you care to mention, even taking a few cues from Ninja Gaiden for the intro movie.

Gradius is probably my favorite, though. Even though the NES port is crap, even though the original game pales compared to later entries. I just love that series so much. I'm glad it went out on such an incredibly high note, but I miss it.
I've never been able to beat Gradius V, that one is a beast.

Meioh said:
I've never been able to beat Gradius V, that one is a beast.

The game is really made to be played in co-op, but enough bullheadedness will eventually unlock enough lives/continues to win no matter how bad you are.

After reading through this thread, I've come to realize that I don't really like many NES games. This might be due to my lack of interest in side scrolling games. Despite this, I've always liked River City Ransom

On this list, Super Mario Bros. 3.
Probably that overall, too, since I think it beats any of the Mega Man games.
Most of the other franchises I don't think truly hit their stride until SNES.

Mitsu said:
After reading through this thread, I've come to realize that I don't really like many NES games. This might be due to my lack of interest in side scrolling games. Despite this, I've always liked River City Ransom

I've realized that many of those old games don't stand up. Some of the really good ones can still be fun, but many of the other ones, even classic ones, aren't.

This was difficult, because I really did enjoy SMB 3 and MM 2, but LOZ won out, since I still love it to death.

I was also a fan of Shadowgate (one of the first RPG type games I ever played), Joust, and Kirby.

Trygon said:
...Shadowgate is a point and click adventure, though?

It did use point and click as a method of interaction, and it doesn't conform to today's standards of what an RPG is, but back in the 80's it was a text-based adventure game, with no moving images, and was considered one, then (although definitely not so much, now!).

I went with Legend of Zelda. Some of my fondest memories are of playing that NES game.

I ended up going with LoZ because I have only recently started playing it since we still had an atari when the NES was around so I never got to play NES when I was a youngin.

Now playing original LoZ after playing pretty much every generation of game from the early days till now and still finding it fun, challenging, able to totally suck me into the world and made me point blank refuse to use the internet to solve it is the mark of a gooood game. It is pretty solid. There's a few things that are a little annoying or vague, and this was in a time when Video games were really starting to become their own, but I can forgive it for those little flaws. Honestly more fun than some games I play today. I made a little map and everything!

You know, I can't even vote on this. It's just too hard. I grew up on a lot of these. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest defined a whole genre. Legend Of Zelda started a whole damn legacy along with Mega Man. I guess I'll vote Zelda though if I have to, still all these years later, love the game like no other. Gold cart and all.

Quick Edit: Whatt, how has no one voted Mega Man 2, that was easily a close second! That's crazy!

Back
Top Bottom