A Magical Revolution [Azecreth & Wingshadow]

Mami still did not feel comfortable with the current arrangement, but they did not have the luxury of arguing over the issue. Homura would have her way if Mami simply allowed the issue to drop, and she knew full well that Homura would probably do exactly that regardless. She silently resolved within herself to question her concerning her in-depth knowledge of the two magical girls, but Kyoko's presence was not necessary for that.

"Thank you both for your input, Homura-san, Kyoko-san. I trust that the next coming days will be very demanding on our attention, but I trust that we will all put our full effort forward," with the matter of Oriko and Kirika put to rest for the time being, Mami turned to the next document atop the stack of papers she brought with her to the meeting room, "However, there are a few more issues I felt necessary to discuss with Kyoko-san. If you'd like to get a head start on your own work, Homura-san, then I see no need to detain you further." The blonde-haired magical girl then added telepathically for Homura alone. I would like to speak with you privately when you have about a certain matter. Let me know when you have a spare moment.

Mami flipped open a rather large binder, "I'll give you the summary version, Kyoko-san." Needless to say, Mami was just trying to smooth things over for the red-haired magical girl to make working through the sizable amount of paperwork seem a bit more bearable. She didn't want to draw it out any longer than she had to, either. Mami had her own intentions for the afternoon hours, after all.

---------------------------

By the time the meeting finally ended, the sun had already begun its long journey toward the horizon. Mami had ordered some snacks to be delivered to the meeting room beforehand to placate the fiery-tempered spear wielder, helping to ease their way through. Stepping back into the hallway, Mami reached up, stretching her arms over her head while bending to the side slightly. She let out a soft sigh as her arms once again dropped to her sides. She had begun to understand to a small degree Kyoko's frustration with long meetings, as it had already taken so much of her day that it left only just over two hours to prepare for her afternoon with Miyako and her sister. The mere anticipation added a bit of bounce to her step as a soft smile slipped across her face, her thoughts of possible insurrection fading into the backdrop of her mind.

Kyoko nodded, still grinned, and did a fist pump. "Yeah, don't worry about it. I know I'll do my best." Well, of course she did. She didn't look too happy about the idea of having to get back to paperwork and bureaucracy once more, but it still had to be done. But for now she was placated, and unbeknownst to her, would be sufficiently distracted by delivered snacks to keep going. She did need to do this stuff after all, much as she might not want to.

Given her leave, Homura rose and moved out of the room, not pausing as Mami's message registered. Of course the blond would be too smart to simply let things go as they were. Now she had to plan for that as well, find an explanation that would satisfy Mami without revealing too much. Very well, she replied, not looking over her shoulder and instead blowing out of the room, leaving the two to their work.

---------------------------------------

Hours later, Mami eventually emerged from her seclusion in the boardroom, not looking too pleased with what she had just been through. It seemed even her tolerance had it's limits, though Homura would know that. Walking along, she would suddenly find Homura at her side, the raven haired girl advancing along with her towards wherever their destination was.

"You wanted to speak to me," she asked casually, indifferently, since obviously Mami had. She'd spent the time preparing, and would now go ahead with the plan she had developed. Mami had to be placated, and suspicion averted. If she could maintain her enigmatic facade, so much the better. But now it was time to get to work on that.

"Yes," Mami nodded, continuing on her way albeit slightly slowing her pace. She half-expected Homura to show up in such a manner, and she knew better than to expect Homura to simply roll over and begin explaining what exactly was going on, as if she were some sort of narrator to a Saturday morning anime. Mami turned her head slightly toward Homura, glancing at her from the corner of her eye while keeping her attention directed forward for the most part, "I'm sure you've realized it by now, Homura-san, but I do not like to act without knowing what options are available to me and what dangers each option presents. In order to make an informed decision, it is vital to have information, of course."

She paused at a crosswalk, the red light gleaming brightly down at her, "However, you have been concealing something from me, haven't you, Homura-san?" Mami turned to more properly face the raven-haired magical girl, "I am certain that you have your own reasons for doing so, and I understand that some of it may be personal or sensitive in nature... In the very least, I would like you to explain what connection you have with Oriko and Kirika. You have had some sort of past run-ins with them, haven't you? How else do you have such in-depth knowledge of not only their persons but also their powers and abilities a day after being informed of their identities and possible connection to the Shadow Compact?" Mami looked back toward the crosswalk light, which still shone a bright red, "I trust you, Homura-san. I simply wish for you to extend the same amount of trust back to myself as well."

Homura kept her expression neutral, as completely unperturbed as ever, as they proceeded down the street. It had been as she expected, a desire by Mami to find out how she knew all these facts about Oriko, Kirika, and perhaps going even further back. But it was a truth she couldn't give. If she explained a little, the other girl would want to know more, of course, which could lead to the revelation of information that could destroy Mami, and she needed the older girl to survive for the future, for the end of the month at least. Past that she couldn't say.

"Statistics," she replied simply. "Powers are easy to determine when watching them in combat against witches, when they think no one is watching. And just as Kyoko can't maintain illusions all the time, the same applies to Oriko." Moving along, she flipped her hair over her shoulder casually. "It is possible that they let me see to prevent an early confrontation. And the rest is information that I collected from other sources." Hopefully she could play on her more enigmatic nature to pass this as a legitimate answer. Otherwise she'd have to get into intimidation territory, always a tactic that had mixed results with Mami.

Homura had seen the two of them in action already? Homura's answer, rather than easing Mami's discomfort, opened herself up to even more pointed questions. Mami remained calm for the time being, however, even as the crosswalk light turned from red to green. "You figured all that out on your own in less than twenty-four hours? That's Homura-san for you," Mami stepped forward, her footsteps resounding in an almost hollow manner, "So, you knew this much about Oriko and Kirika, yet you only saw it necessary to fill me in about them the next day." Her words were a statement of fact rather than a question, laced with a thinly-veiled accusation. "I understand that you find it difficult to trust others, given your personality, but I fail to understand why that should stand as sufficient justification for placing both Kyoko and I in a potentially dangerous situation." Who were these mysterious external sources Homura constantly referred to in passing? Why did it feel like Homura's answers consistently revealed how little she trusted the two of them, while maintaining a show of obedient lip-service? There had to me more that she had yet to reveal, and her resolute stubbornness pointed toward it being a closely-held conviction.

Mami closed her eyes calmly, reaching out to sense the world around her through unseen means, watching the swirling and mixing masses that gave both of them a wide berth even as they passed the very same crosswalk together, but not side-by-side, "It's love, isn't it, Homura-san? There is someone you love very dearly causing you to act this way, isn't there?" The blonde magical girl's expression softened, "I am sort of curious about what sort of person could capture your devotion so entirely. I suppose I'm a bit envious of such strong emotion and care as well. If someone like Homura-san cares so much about him, then he must be a very special boy, indeed." Mami, of course, had no idea how mistaken she was in that respect.

Mami turned and held her hand out toward Homura, "I'll support you, Homura-san. You don't need to shoulder the weight of the entire world on your own shoulders. I want to help protect your most special person alongside you, but to do that I need you to trust me." She wanted Homura to accept her offer, to accept her as a confidant, perhaps even a friend. She realized deep down inside that it was probably asking for the impossible, but she still resolved within herself to extend the offer anyway, even while fully aware of how slim her chances of success really were.

For a few brief moments, Homura thought that she had possibly succeeded, that Mami would let the matter drop, and they could go back to work dealing with Oriko and Kirika before things got out of hand again. Not to mention she had to check up on Madoka and make sure that Kyubey wasn't poking around. With her magical potential, the Incubator couldn't stay away, no matter how many of his bodies she killed. Which necessitated constant vigilance. Even if her position meant she couldn't actively be with the pinkette for fear of attracting too much attention, she would never let her simply be alone. She was too important for that.

And yet it seemed her hope had been misplaced, though she bore up well under the almost accusation and apparent anger Mami was feeling. It wasn't a situation she envied, but it had to be. She had learned too much to let events transpire otherwise. No one ever believed her, not until it was too late, and the revelation of what she knew could spin events off in unpredictable ways, that would throw all her plans into jeopardy. "It's my job to know what happens in this city," she pointed out stoically. "If I had thought there was an immediate threat to you or Kyoko, I would have informed you as such."

They moved along the crosswalk, Homura slipping through crowds like the shadow that she was, until taken aback by Mami's suggestion, starting a little and letting surprise leak forth before she clamped down on that. Again, it seemed she had somewhat underestimated Mami's perceptiveness. Though she was wrong in the end, but Homura would hardly tell her that. Lord knew she had seen enough of these interactions to know that having Madoka and Mami meet was a recipe for disaster that would either end with the latter dead, the former contracted, or both. No, better they stay separate. For both their sakes. So she left her question unanswered, aware that her reaction must have been answer enough.

She paused with Mami, glancing from the corner of her eye to see the blond with her hand extended, offering her help, wanting her trust. And she wanted to take it. More than anything, she wanted to trust Mami, confide in her, explain all that was happening. For even after all these loops, she was still the brave, understanding sempai, for her and for everyone else. But she knew, deep inside her, that she couldn't take that hand. She knew what laid beneath the surface, the insecurities, doubt, she knew that Mami was unstable, and she knew how easily she could fall.

"If you knew what I know, you wouldn't offer your assistance so freely," she replied simply, turning on her heels to face away from Mami, rejecting her hand, her offer. "In this life, the only person you can trust in the end is yourself. You would be wise to remember that." And with those parting words, she was gone. She had no more time for this conversation. She had work to do.

Mami could sense the surprise in Homura's body language, confirming her belief that she had struck close to the mark, if not hitting it directly. Perhaps she would accept the offer, and they would grow closer as individuals sharing the same dreams and aspirations for the future while working to protect what was most important to them. Homura's words, however, swiftly and abruptly dashed any hope she had nurtured. Homura would always be Homura, regardless of how hard Mami tried to change that fact. The silence that followed her words was all Homura needed to realize Mami's passive acceptance. There would be no greater bond formed between the two, not as things stood anyway.

As Mami watched Homura leave, she slowly withdrew her hand and clasped it over her heart, her left hand reaching up to press down over the other as well. She had expected this result, but to be blatantly rejected in such a manner still hurt despite knowing full well that Homura would probably never take her hand, either then or in the future. "Yes... I suppose you are right, Homura-san. However much I want to deny it, there is a lot of truth in those words," Mami spoke softly, too softly for anyone other than herself to perceive, "But even so, I wish for your happiness, Homura-san. Even if the world remains as cruel as I have seen it, there are still some glimmers of beauty, some reason for hope. As long as that hope exists, I will continue to fight to protect it." Little did Mami know how frail such hope truly was, especially in the face of the truth which still remained hidden from her.

Mami resumed walking toward her intended destination, her gaze a bit more distant than before. However much she tried to shake off the gloom which surrounded her heart, even with the anticipation of meeting up with her new friend, it stubbornly refused to yield. How many more doors would slam in her face? She suppressed the desire to let out a sigh, as it would only let more of her happiness escape, and that was something she could not afford to lose.

It had been an interesting night for Miyako. After Mami had departed, she had gone around, found some Familiars and another Witch, which she had killed, much to her pleasure, but still she couldn't shake away the images, the previous experience she had just witnessed. Seeing Mami Tomoe, someone of such high importance and stature, genuinely wanting to be friends with her, little old Miyako who's best talent was hiding from attention, it was quite a shock, to say the least. And as far as she could tell she hadn't done anything to be worthy of such an honor. Still, if her help was needed, her friendship was needed, then she would give it in any way she could. It was the least she could do for the person who had saved her life, although she could hope that it eventually became a genuine friendship, and not one born of obligation. But she had a feeling that that wouldn't be too hard.

She had returned home with her collected Grief Seeds to the small, one story house that she shared with her sister Etsuko. It was a tidy place, perfect for the two of them when they were both home. Which admittedly wasn't often as a magical duo who happened to be sisters. But it wasn't this time, as she found Etsuko waiting for her when she arrived, sitting in one of the chairs in the living room.

"Onee-sama, I'm home," she called, to which she was responded with a wave as she stepped into the living room. She had previously transformed back to normal, and now that she was here laid her rewards upon the coffee table. The Grief Seeds clinked and floated, and Etsuko rose to divvy up the spoils with her sister.

"Thanks Miyako," she said as she put her share away. "You should text me, or call me, or something. I was worried about you, you know? It being your first time hunting alone and all."

"I'm sorry," Miyako replied with a bowed head as she did the same for her own Grief Seeds. Her sister could be...worrisome, at times, but Miyako knew that it was only because she cared, because she was afraid of losing her sister, and she felt the same in turn. "I meant to, but I forgot." A glare directed her way, she quickly explained. "I...I met someone, another magical girl."

Etsuko took on a look of concern as her eyes gave her sister a once over. "She didn't hurt you, did she? Just let me know who they are and I'll-"

Miyako cut her off before she could get going on that rant. "It was...it was Mami Tomoe," she explained. "She saved my life."

Etsuko fell dead silent, struggling to comprehend that information. Her sister's life had been saved by Mami...Tomoe, the most powerful magical girl in the city, and hardly subtle. Well, they were just racking up the debts. And Miyako could watch as her face paled at the thought. So much for caution and staying away from attention, as she had wanted. But they had, and there wasn't much they could do about it. "She wants to meet," Miyako added. "Tomorrow afternoon. In front of the train station. Both of us."

Etsuko shook her head, composure returning, as she objected. 'What? No! Are you crazy? Being seen with Mami, we don't need to paint that kind of a target on our backs."

Now it was Miyako's turn to frown, for once showing some backbone with her sister. "Etsuko, she saved my life. And she is the most powerful girl in the city. What do you think will happen if we don't show up?" That was a fairly decent point, and much as Etsuko didn't enjoy the possibility, it seemed she had little choice in the matter.

"Alright," she ceded. "We'll meet her. Just this once. Since she saved your life and all, I suppose I owe her my gratitude." And with that the matter was settled.

------------------------

At the designated time and place Etsuko and Miyako waited, Miyako once more in her uniform with the hood pulled up, not exactly enjoying all the attention, positive or negative, from the passerbyers, while Etsuko stood tall, confident, resolute. Her uniform was a navy blue, almost similar to a Napoleonic military uniform minus the bicorn, with a cavalry sabre at her hip. She didn't exactly look happy to be here, but the brunette still had hardly a choice, so here she was. They just awaited Mami's arrival, Etsuko resolving silently that if she didn't show up in ten minutes, they were leaving and damn the consequences. She was not going to let herself be ambushed.

A pair of footsteps clacked up the stairs leading up to the train station not long after that, belonging to a certain blonde magical girl. Mami waved to them at a distance as soon as she reached the top of the steps before stepping closer to them, taking a moment to study Miyako's sister along the way. Mami stepped up to them and gave them a polite curtsy, as she often did, "Good afternoon. Please forgive me for my lateness, I had a few things I had to finish up before I could meet up with you," Mami offered a brief explanation, but to be fair she had arrived only three minutes behind schedule. It had taken a bit longer than expected to arrange for a reservation at the tea shop with such little notice, even when Mami herself filed the request.

"I am Mami Tomoe, pleased to make your acquaintance," the magical girl approached Miyako's sister, granting her a friendly smile and an extended hand, "Your sister is someone very important to me, so I hope the two of us can get along as well." The two could not have been more different, with the older sister in a military commander outfit of western origin and the younger sister wearing a ninja outfit of eastern origin. Based on their demeanor, they seemed to be polar opposites in that respect as well, but even so she could tell that the siblings were very closely nit and cared a great deal for each other.

Miyako could tell her sister was nervous as time passed, and Mami Tomoe did not appear when it was expected she would. And yet she could do little about that besides try to placate her. She didn't fault her sister for who she was, and knew that Etsuko just wanted to keep the two of them safe. They were sisters, and they had to watch out for each other, especially now that they were both magical girls. There wasn't really a choice in the matter, especially with the wishes the two of them had made. It would always be the two of them against the world, no matter what.

But long before Etsuko's cut off line, Mami emerged up the stairs, twin drills bobbing with her steps as she approached the two girls. "Don't worry, we weren't here long," Miyako replied with a light smile as she saw Mami. Etsuko, meanwhile, straightened up under examination, meeting Mami's eyes and displaying a stark rejection, an apparent lack of fear, but also a lack of trust as well. She would not be as easy to convince as her sister it seemed. She was not going to let herself be hurt, either physically, or emotionally. She would not allow it.

"Etsuko Komatsu," she replied with a bow. "Thank you for watching out for my sister yesterday. She told me what happened, and I'm very grateful." She knew, she had to be strong, to play the part. If she showed weakness she would be chewed up and spit out, and she would not let anyone know how much her sister meant to her. If she did, then it could only end badly. But for the moment she wasn't trying to flee, or be otherwise antagonistic, so that was probably a good thing.

"I should be the one expressing my gratitude for yesterday. Miyako-san truly is a wonderful person, and I am grateful for the opportunity to be her friend," Mami smiled despite Etsuko's firm refusal to show any sign of acceptance. It would be an uphill battle with this one, that much was clear, but even so Mami remained determined to win her over in time. Then the three of them could build up a strong friendship together, one that would provide the emotional support she had craved for years.

"This way, please," Mami motioned to the girls to follow her, walking back toward the steps leading down from the train station. The tea shop was just around the bend, a rather classy-looking little place nestled comfortably beside a small park. They had an ideal location and tea to match, the only reason for Mami's infrequent visits being the popularity for groups of friends and couples alike to gather there, serving as a constant reminder of her own isolation. It would not stand as a barrier to her any longer, however, as she had brought the two siblings along with her for that very purpose.

Etsuko accepted Mami's compliment as it was, since it was obvious she meant no ill will by the gesture. It did earn a slight blush from Miyako, which was fortunately hidden for the most part by her hood. She didn't think she had really done that much, but to be receiving such praise from Mami of all people, she couldn't help but react. And she knew that Etsuko appreciated it, even if she didn't show it. They were sisters, after all, and they had to stick together.

"Alright," Miyako replied, the two girls moving side by side as Mami led them away from the train station and to the tea shop she had selected, taste as impeccable as always. While Etsuko wasn't jumpy, she was still alert, unwilling to be taken by surprise. She was not going to let that happen again. Of course, she didn't totally expect Mami to try anything, but there were people who would love to take a shot and her, and if they did now then the two sisters would be caught in the crossfire, an unenviable situation if there was one.

Still, it was a good looking place, classy, next to a park, with a bustling business. If they had had the time the two sisters might have gone by themselves, but it was a lot easier to go with Mami, probably as a result of her position. Hell, she could probably do anything short of kill a random person in broad daylight and get away with it. Not that she would do that, but still. The two girls would follow to their table and each take a seat, Miyako to the side and Etsuko across from Mami, and they would both turn to the important business of picking out what tea they wanted.

Mami could sense Etsuko's reserved nature, and while she understood the danger of appearing publicly in such a manner, she would not allow such fears to rule her life. The constant threat of violence against her own person was one of the reasons she spent most of her time, aside from sleeping and bathing, in her magical girl form, in order to dissuade potential assassins from picking her off unawares. As long as they did not strike her soul gem directly, she could survive virtually any attack and retaliate with deadly force. Granted, Mami had pushed such thoughts to the far reaches of her mind on this particular occasion, which may not have been the wisest course of action.

"While I enjoy a good cup of green tea as much as anyone, I personally recommend the milk tea they serve here," Mami suggested, turning the menu over and pointing it out for them, "There are also some amazing peach, raspberry, and black teas as well. I haven't tried all of them yet, so feel free to try whatever kind interests you." The magical girl's finger slid across the laminated surface, showing the sisters each of her recommended teas. "You know, I often wondered what it would be like to bring some of my friends along with me to this very shop," Mami folded the menu and set it down in her lap, her hands folding together as she leaned against the table slightly.

Her head tipped forward, her eyes gazing directly at the girl seated across from her, "Before I met your sister, I did not have any real friends. Kyoko-san, Homura-san, and others are trusted companions of mine, but we are not really friends. If circumstances were different, I suspect we would be bitter enemies instead." Mami allowed herself a smile, "While I understand that you do not trust me at this point, I hope I can earn your trust in time. Trust is like a bridge between two sides of a river. Its not something you can build in a day. In much the same way, bonds of trust cannot be built between people so quickly either."

"I have been a magical girl for nearly six years now, ever since I was involved in a serious car accident that claimed the lives of both my parents when I was only twelve years old," Mami closed her eyes, thinking back upon the many witches she had fought, the lives she had saved, and the experience she had acquired over her many years of service. Building up an empire alongside Kyoko was simply a means to an end, a distraction from the crushing loneliness she had felt despite her heroism and bravery. Her true passion lay in giving hope to others, and in that pursuit Mami wished to devote her life to and draw a sense of purpose from. "I have seen so many amazing things, and spoken to so many amazing people over those six years," Mami continued, "But out of all those people and all those adventures, I believe that the greatest company of all I am enjoying with the two of you right now."

Etsuko and Miyako took Mami's suggestions with the deferential treatment they deserved, since Etsuko was at least no paranoid enough to consider poisoned tea, for what that was worth. There was certainly a wide selection to pick from, and if their superior said it was all good then it probably was. Didn't really help in choosing what they wanted, but they would manage somehow.

Laying the menu to the side as they made their choices for when they were served, Etsuko settled in to listen to Mami, and was quite frankly taken aback at the openness the other girl was showing, speaking of her relationship with the other two in the ruling trio, and then about trust as well. It was like she'd fallen into some weird parallel dimension or something, and she was unsure how to react to that. Was this actually genuine sentiment, or just something to get them to trust her? Well, there was the possibility that it was both, they weren't mutually exclusive after all. But at least she understood that she wouldn't get Etsuko to like her straight off the bat. Then again, nothing worth doing came quickly.

The two listened on then as Mami described her past, the motivation for her wish, Miyako's eyes widening slightly while Etsuko kept her own reaction under wraps for the most part. This apparent amazement was accompanied by a resurgent blush at the compliment they both received, though Etsuko naturally looked upon it more skeptically. There was no way that was true, was it? They weren't anyone special, in the grander scheme of things, and Etsuko had tried hard to keep it that way. And yet here they were, having tea with one of the most powerful people in the city, who was sitting across from them telling them that out of everything, she enjoyed being with them the most. It was almost like a dream, though she was fairly certain they hadn't stumbled into a Witches Barrier.

For the moment though, Etsuko knew she wouldn't be telling Mami of her own wish, and was certain in that regard that Miyako wouldn't speak of the direct circumstances of hers. They both knew how much it had meant, and wouldn't betray the others trust like that. "I'm...glad to hear that," she replied. "Perhaps we can be friends then, in time." She wasn't about to open her heart to someone new that quick. But of course Mami had already guessed as such.

Miyako, on the other hand, seemed impressed. "Wow, six years," she muttered. Sad as it was, the survival rate for most magical girls didn't usually get that high. "And you've been alone that entire time." It sounded almost unbearable. She couldn't imagine going for six years without Etsuko around, even a little.

"Yes," Mami nodded, "If it weren't for my working alongside Kyoko-san and Homura-san, I doubt I would have even lasted this long. It helped keep my attention focused away from myself, away from the many years of isolation I have lived as a magical girl. I am grateful to them for that, even if the arrangement is based purely upon mutual benefit." Mami looked toward Miyako, then up at the waitress as she arrived with the steaming cups they had ordered earlier.

Each delicate cup, ornately shaped and colored to match while resting in the center of small plates, brimmed with fragrant and carefully prepared tea. Mami reached out and slid hers closer to herself, observing the somewhat opaque, somewhat translucent fluid it contained. Grasping the handle, she lifted it to her lips once before continuing, "I think it is a beautiful thing that the two of you became magical girls together. In the very least, you can support and protect each other even under the most difficult circumstances. As the both of you are doubtless well aware, the life we have chosen is a difficult one, but rewarding in some respects as well."

"If you don't mind my asking," Mami then directed a question back to the two seated at the table with her, "Do you like it here in the city?" She often wondered what the ordinary inhabitants thought of the city itself, both how it was managed as well as the benefits she granted to various parties and the results which followed. Granted, many of her choices had the intention of placating the masses while maintaining the upper management's power and authority, but that did not mean the inhabitants necessarily saw things the same way she did.

Listening to Mami speak, Miyako was impressed. Kinda. She was also saddened, that someone like Mami didn't really have people she could be together with as more than just colleagues. To say Mami had left a good impression was something of an understatement, and she found it hard to believe that that was the case as the other girl presented it.And yet it did seem to be the case, if past memory served her correctly, so Miyako silently vowed that she would make up in some small way for all the lost time Mami had suffered. Of course, Etsuko didn't know this, but she'd agree to it eventually. One way or another.

Then the waitress arrived, handing both girls the tea they requested, laying small plates with the exquisitely prepared liquid inside. Etsuko moved to take a sip as they listened to Mami speak once more, the two girls exchanging glances in the process. "Well, actually, Onee-sama contracted first," Miyako corrected somewhat hesitantly, Etsuko frowning but not stopping her. "I contracted later." Still, despite that distinction it didn't appear to have affected their relationship as Mami saw it all that much. And it was information Etsuko was willing to part with, since it didn't mean that much in the end.

Miyako then took a sip of tea as Etsuko placed her cup down on the plate, generally satisfied with the beverage, and the older girl looked to Mami as she asked them her next question. "It's not paradise by any stretch of the imagination, but it could be worse," Etsuko replied bluntly, to an accompanying slap beneath the table. If one had to guess, it would be that Miyako had kicked her sister's leg, but Etsuko seemed to have hardly noticed the chastisement. "In spite of the fact that our...occupation makes holding a steady job difficult, we do have a house of our own, and enough food to eat."

Miyako nodded as the sisters switched activities. "We may not be the most liked people, but I hear it's a lot worse in other places. Like, open fighting and general chaos, especially in America. I'd rather be here than there." And for the most part what she said was true. There might be a little flattery given who she was talking to, but she wouldn't outright lie.

"Well, I did not intend to imply that the two of you had contracted at the same time, only that you have each other to support and guide the other should either of you falter or loose your way," Mami blinked, "I apologize if the words I chose confused you." The blonde-haired magical girl felt somewhat surprised that Miyako had offered such information so freely, especially when her older sister did not share the sentiment. Even if it was but a small thing in their eyes, Mami stored it away carefully within her memory.

While Mami expected the older of the two sisters to voice some amount of criticism in her reply, she hardly expected the distinct slap which reached her perceptive ears quite clearly. She tried hard not to smile despite her own amusement, succeeding for the most part although her expression softened slightly nonetheless. "I'm glad... My intention was to build a society where lines are clearly drawn so as to reduce tension while at the same time retaining order. At times I worry that my actions have built up resentment toward magical girls as well, when truly it is the ordinary person who has the better of the two positions. As a magical girl, it is a life of worry and danger, and not many survive long under the constant strain and trials that such a path presents."

"However, I find such a life far more rewarding than any other I might imagine for myself," Mami continued, "I was an only child born into a rich family, so naturally I understood neither homelessness nor hunger. My astute mind allowed me to excel in many areas, but even my greatest accomplishments felt hollow and meaningless. As a magical girl, however, I can fight to protect the world that I love so dearly, even if it in turn feels nothing for me."

Mami once again turned the line of questioning back to the girls seated with her, "What does being a magical girl mean to you? I'm just curious as to your thoughts on the matter. You don't have to answer if you'd rather not."

The mistake that Mami corrected was a simple one, and neither of the girls had particularly hard feelings over it. That was just how it had come across, and that was why they answered as they did. That they were wrong wasn't much of a burden, since they hadn't provided very useful information in exchange, and it was only fair since Mami had told them about the circumstances surrounding her own wish, which was significantly more revealing than the fact that they hadn't contracted at the same time.

It was interesting to hear her plans, her vision though, and the two girls drank sips of tea as they listened to her explain what it was she had wanted and tried to achieve as the administrator of the area. Reducing tension, maintaining order, preventing a popular backlash against the superhumans that lived in the midst of the everyday person. Hardly an easy life, to say the least. Still, Mami seemed to enjoy it, this life that gave her a purpose beyond that which she would have had otherwise. It was heartwarming, to some extent, to see the presented effect that it had had on her, if she was indeed speaking the truth,

Then they were presented with her question in turn, and had to come up with an answer to explain it, presumably without revealing too much, if one went by Etsuko's logic. It was that girl who stayed silent, sipping on her tea. Miyako, on the other hand, glanced to her sister, seeking her approval, before she spoke on some unseen signal transmitted between the two of them. "It means being able to protect those I care about," she replied, gaze somewhat downcast, and Etsuko remaining silent. There was a bit of trust blooming, but not enough for her to give away that kind of information. And as far as she was concerned, it wasn't any of Mami's business either. But Miyako had wanted to speak, so she would let her. This time.

"I think that is a wonderful sentiment," Mami nodded, "As magical girls, I think if we can bring just a little more hope into this world than was here before, then our lives were well worth living." Granted, Mami's own life would have ended that fateful day six years prior had she decided against contracting and becoming a magical girl herself, but nonetheless she had become rather attached to her life despite the pains and worries she had to overcome each and every day.

Mami expected Etsuko not to reply, so she was not particularly disheartened by her refusal to answer. Instead, she nodded toward the elder sibling, "I understand. Its too soon to ask such personal questions of someone I hardly know." With that, she decided to take a slightly different approach, "Do either of you have any interests outside of magical girl activities?" Mami felt determined to forge an even stronger connection with them in time, unaware of the serious danger her inattentiveness placed her in.

-----------------------------------------

Club Rouge, 4:30 pm

Sayaka frowned upon looking over the specified location, as it was hardly the sort of place she frequented. Situated between the high-class and the "dim part of town" as she called it, Club Rouge most certainly lived up to its name. People of all sorts gathered in front of its doors, packing themselves in before the sun had even begun to set. Many of them bore themselves with an air of pride and self-importance, while others fully embraced their inner depravity without any outward show of self-restraint. Resisting the urge to lunge in and make an attempt at setting a few of the more overt cretins straight, Sayaka strode up to the front door. Hopefully her two contacts had made arrangements prior to her arrival, as otherwise things had the potential to get out of hand very quickly.

Miyako smiled, holding back a slight heating of her cheeks as Mami praised her motivation once it had been voiced. Well, not praised. More like supported, but the effect was the same. She didn't really consider the fact that Mami's wish had been to survive her car crash, and thus accepted the sentiment at face value, and that wasn't a bad thing as it was. It just wasn't shared by the girl across from the older blond.

Fortunately for Etsuko, Mami didn't push the personal questions, and turned to other things that didn't infringe as much upon vital magical girl realities. Both considered their answers before Miyako started off. "Well, I like reading. And drawing." Etsuko then answered as well, though hers was more cut off and succinct. "Track and field. And English Cinematography." She wondered what Mami would make of that, what details that keen mind could weasel out. She wasn't on top because she wasn't good at that sort of thing after all.

-----------------------------------------

Club Rouge, a hangout of the most interesting a kind, a meeting place between upscale society and the darker side of town. It was a place that existed to test Sayaka's patience and her sensibilities, every person intent on playing some role, whether it be high class or low, important or not, people there for business, or just looking for a good time. The music wasn't too bad, and the bar and catering staff were good, but who knew if that could make up for the company.

A bouncer interposed himself between the front door and her as she approached, not outwardly intimidated even by her being a magical girl, which was either some credit to his guts, or his stupidity, given that he couldn't win a tussle. But if she tried, she'd have a lot more to worry about that just him. "Name," he asked, glancing down to a pad which presumably had the guest list on it.

Once she gave it, he did a bit of scrolling before nodding. "Alright. Enjoy your stay," he said, before stepping aside to allow her admittance to the antechamber which held the coat check, that then disgorged into the lounge. The music took on a loud tone, colored lights flashing as the people on the floor danced, others drank, conversations, people watching others, a very hectic situation to say the least.

Fortunately Sayaka wouldn't have to worry about that as a voice rang in her head, courtesy of telepathy. Up here, the familiar voice said, and a look would show Sayaka that Oriko and Kirika sat above the crowd in a private room, the girl in white waving while her loyal friend gave her a critical eye once more. It just seemed there would be no pleasing Kirika any time soon.

"Oh? What sort of books do you enjoy reading? What is your favorite book?" Mami leaned forward with interest, resting her arms on the table in the process. Mami did not spend much of her time in casual reading, as the majority of her own reading material were legal documents of various kinds. Still, if Miyako had any particular books she could recommend, the blonde-haired magical girl considered devoting more of her scarce free time to it.

"So you enjoy the science of movement," Mami nodded toward Etsuko upon hearing her reply, "Both with respect to your own body and that of the world around you, captured and set in such a way to best present your view of life to others." Mami picked up her cup of tea and swirled it once before taking another sip, "I've heard that you can tell the quality of a film by watching it with the sound turned off. If you can still understand the story without hearing any of the dialogue, then it is a well-made production. Is this true?"

----------------------------

Sayaka successfully resisted the urge to brush off the bouncer's request, deciding it would be best for all parties involved not to start a brawl right in front of her intended meeting place. There were still a lot of questions that needed answering, not the least of which being what role she should play in the near future to set things into motion. She looked up at the man and answered simply, "Magical girl Sayaka Miki."

Enjoyment was not the word Sayaka would have used to enjoy such a setting. The loud music pained her ears and the dim interior combined with the flashing of colored lights served as a source of constant annoyance. Still, she'd seen worse before, not that she frequented such places on a regular basis. She worked her way through the crowd, none of the guests other than the two seated somewhere above her paying her much notice. Sayaka looked up upon hearing the unspoken voice, nodding to them before heading to the stairs on the far side of the lounge. Upon reaching the second floor and gaining admittance to the private room, she calmly stepped inside and gave both her mysterious contacts a simple nod.

"Alright then, care to fill me a little?" Sayaka inquired, unsure how else to start off the conversation, "This isn't exactly my crowd... I'm more the karaoke-with-friends sort of girl when it comes to social gatherings." Granted, neither she nor her best friend Madoka were particularly good singers (at least in their own estimation) but she still looked back on such outings with fondness.

Miyako frowned, head tilted up in thought as she considered how to respond to that question she was given. There were a few, but she had to think of a suitably good response to what Mami had asked. Not nonfiction, no. Or historical fiction really. But there were a few. "High fantasy," she replied at last. "Other races, magic, swords and shields, things that take you to another world and away from this one." She got a dreamy look in her eye, imagining things, and how those books could distract from the less than stellar life they all lived. She quickly snapped back though. "As for favorite book. Well, I kinda like the Safehold series. It's pretty good."

Etsuko's frown deepened a bit as Mami did exactly what she had thought she might, though she was aware that the other girl could be using it to goad her. Which was somewhat spiteful, to say the least, but it wasn't like the other girl could be perfect, now could it? "I haven't really tried that," Etsuko admitted. "But I've seen a few good movies." She wasn't going to comment on whether she enjoyed showing off her physical lifestyle to people.

----------------------------

The two shifted as Sayaka mounted the stairs and made her way over to their room. Oriko relaxed on a couch while Kirika stood attentively in the corner, a glass wall behind her. At the same time though, the music was dulled to low background noise, courtesy of the soundproofing that had been installed so important people could chat without having to shout to hear each other. Very nice, and it was quite obviously expensive. One could wonder where she had gotten the money for this, but one could also assume it was courtesy of her contacts.

Oriko seemed unperturbed to learn that this wasn't exactly Sayaka's crowd, as the blunette put it, and she smiled warmly. "I imagined as much. But we also draw less attention here than standing on rooftops. And now Kirika won't have to attack you when we leave. Surely that's a bonus." Kirika smirked, as if she had enjoyed their previous fight and was looking forward to having another, though it didn't seem as though that would be in their future either. For the moment anyway. Who could speak on what would happen further on?

Oriko continued on then. "Well, I was going to go over more of those pesky details, see what shared resources we have, that sort of thing," she explained. "I don't suppose you've managed to recruit anyone else into this conspiracy of yours, have you?" She didn't expect as much, but better to play dumb and ask than to not and earn the girl's suspicions as a result. She still needed Sayaka after all.

"The Safehold series, hm?" Mami mused over the title for a few moments before responding, "I'm afraid I haven't heard of it before, but I will certainly look into it. Stories have been a fascination of mine for quite some time, ever since I was very young I believe. The sense of wonder and excitement a well-written story or motion picture can evoke is magical in its own way. Although books are but words formed from ink spread over a paper page and films are but rapid flashes of light, they evoke such strong connections within our imaginations that the worlds within them come forth, given life through the efforts of the creator as much as those that enjoy them. How could something like that be anything short of magical?" Although Mami was hardly a child any longer, she still possessed some amount of child-like wonder despite the sadness and loss in her own life, a fact which perhaps accounted for her long life as a magical girl to an extent.

----------------------------------------

"Hah... Yeah. I'd appreciate it if we could keep our meetings free of sword fighting from now on," Sayaka laughed nervously, taking her own seat on the couch across from Oriko and crossing her legs one other the other in a slightly boyish manner. She didn't feel like she had to put up any pretenses in front of them, so she decided to simply relax and try to delve a bit more deeply into the partnership she had entered into. They were all on the same side, after all, so she didn't need to make a show of herself.

"I really don't think of it as a conspiracy," Sayaka blinked, "Its more like an organized non-violent protest, only with fewer picot signs, crowds of people, and poorly-worded slogans." Was Oriko simply trying to break the ice with a bit of humor, or did she have a very different idea about how they would be proceeding than Sayaka did? For the time being, nothing was certain. Granted, Sayaka knew precious little even who these people were, as she did not have much opportunity to, as Oriko said, 'go over more of those pesky details'.

"I'm sure a friend of mine would be interested in helping out, but she's not even a magical girl," Sayaka shrugged, "She means well, but I'm not sure how much help she'd be with this sort of stuff." She could imagine Madoka acting as a receptionist, or perhaps even a waitress, however, despite Sayaka's best efforts, the mental image of Madoka trying to pull off anything even remotely stealthy refused to materialize. Perhaps the universe simply wouldn't allow it.

Miyako nodded, fully understanding what Mami was trying to convey. These books were useful, helpful, fun, they provided a distraction and took her away to worlds of daring, chivalry, magic, knights and dragons. Ironically similar parallels to the life that magical girls lived, but always with a happy ending. Whoever wrote these kinds of books sure knew how to play to their audience. "So what about you," she asked in return. "Is there anything besides this life and running city government?" She couldn't imagine that there was really time for much else, but it felt polite to ask the same question back.

----------------------------------------

The thought of possible fights left aside, the gathered group now turned to business. Oriko would not argue the semantics of whether this classified as a conspiracy or not, since it didn't matter that much in the end anyway. She could think of several actions that could classify as conspiracies that ended up nonviolent, for the most part. In the end it was just a distraction that they did not need to waste their time with. After all, they had bigger matters to concern themselves with, such as the supplanting of the current regime.

Oriko sat there comfortably, Sayaka listing the help she did have. And it was far from impressive to say the least. A single person, who wasn't even magical to boot? Idly Oriko had to wonder if she had chosen the wrong person for this, but those were thoughts she soon dismissed. She had a plan, and she needed to follow through on it. So, she nodded in understanding. "Ah, I see." She smiled then. "Fortunately, I have significantly more to add to your efforts. I trust you know who the Shadow Compact is? Well, I have managed to...align myself, with a more moderate faction that merely seeks the leveling of society between normal people and magical girls, as opposed to the more extreme elements that wish to see us all killed. So we do have support." This would be a risky proposition, a delicate point. If Sayaka reacted badly, then either Oriko would need to placate her, or this relationship would end. Hopefully it would be the former rather than the latter. She really didn't want to mess up this club.

"As you may have guessed by now, I do not have an abundance of free time, given my responsibilities," Mami replied, setting her cup down in front of her and sliding her hands back into her lap, "I enjoy preparing tea, but I have also taken up cooking as well, particularly western-style deserts."

This was the opportunity she had been waiting for, to invite the two of them over to sample her cooking. All girls loved sweets, right? She assumed as much, given the popularity of cake shops throughout the city, but as neither Homura nor Kyoko cared to share their interests, she could only judge based on her own observations. Mami had not expected such an opening to present itself so early on in the conversation, but she would not look a gift horse in the mouth. Mami calmly looked between the two sisters before adding, "I actually baked a cake before setting out for our meeting today, if you'd be interested in trying it."

---------------------------------------

Sayaka's eyes grew wide upon hearing her words. They were aligned with the Shadow Compact? As in, the Shadow Compact? She doubted there was a magical girl on the face of the planet that hadn't heard of them. Their ruthlessness and hatred were nothing short of legendary in their own right, commanding a certain degree of respect as a result due to the genuine danger they presented. Although many of their open demonstrations resulted in mass casualties on their own side, the public's hatred and disdain for magical girls worked to fill their ranks with a nearly continuous supply of new recruits inspired by the actions of the ones who went before them. She could understand their anger from the poor treatment they received, but at the same time they went about resolving their grievances in a very wrong manner. From Sayaka's point of view, they were nothing more than a gang who refused to look past their own noses to see the negative impact the violence they employed had on the world around them.

"A more moderate faction?" Sayaka's head tilted forward, her bangs hiding her eyes as her hands tightened into fists, "Don't make me laugh... You are talking about the Shadow Compact, right? How can people like that help us? They are just a bunch of thugs who blame the world's problems on magical girls." Outwardly at least Sayaka managed to contain her anger, even if the desire to knock some sense into Oriko for even suggesting such a thing began to boil up inside her.

Back
Top Bottom