A Magical Revolution [Azecreth & Wingshadow]

"I should hurry... I've already made Madoka wait so long thanks to that run-in with Kyoko," Sayaka murmured as she made her way through the crowd surrounding the grocery store. The masses weaved in between each other back and forth, a faceless group of individuals going about their lives with their heads held low.

Was this the kind of world Kyoko wanted? Each of these people had their own lives, dreams, and wishes, but as things stood there was little opportunity for them to reach out and take hold of them, not with the fear of witches, yakuza, and their own ruling class the magical girls. Everything about this world felt upside down, as from her point of view the magical girls should be the source of hope and inspiration for others rather than fear and paranoia. Why did no one else understand? Well, nobody except for Madoka, that is. An abrupt nudge brought her back to the present situation, however.

Sayaka's head peered out as the finally broke through into a small opening, stumbling forward a few steps as she regained her balance. She looked up at her friend, her hand reaching back and rubbing the back of her head, "Ah... Good afternoon, Madoka-chan. Sorry about the wait, I ran into someone on the way here." She gave her friend an apologetic smile accompanied by a nervous laugh. She knew Madoka was too kind to hold it against her, but it did not make her tardiness any less embarrassing.

Looking on the people all around, Madoka didn't see faceless humanity. She saw individual people, struggling to attain their hopes, their dreams. And she wanted to help them in any way she could. That was why her mother worked for one of the companies based in Mitakihara, and that was why she volunteered as much as she did. Seeing all this suffering, she couldn't just sit idly by.

At last she saw the person she was looking for, blue hair weaving amongst the crowd, and Madoka jumped to her tiptoes, waving and attempting to make herself known with a call. And it worked, as the mass disgorged Sayaka, clad in her knightly uniform, with a stumble. "Hello Sayaka-chan," she replied with a warm grin, as quickly getting over the delay that had occurred between her expected arrival and actual arrival. She was sure that whatever her friend had been doing was worth her attention.

"It's alright," she confirmed, as if it needed to be said. "You're here now, and there's still time for us to hang out. So, what would you like to do?" She looked to Sayaka then, to see what she wanted. Much as there were things she would like to do in turn, this was a special time for the two of them, a chance for Sayaka to forget the burden of being a magical girl and at least pretend that she was just a normal girl, hanging out with her friends. It was the least she could do for her friend

"Hm..." Sayaka pondered the question with her hand held under her chin, "There is that new cake shop not far from here if you want to give it a try. I've heard the cakes they serve are so good, they are like a taste of heaven." The bluenette reached out and took Madoka's hand as she led the way, "Come on, it will be my treat today." The worries that plagued her seemed to fall away like weights loosed from a hot-air balloon in flight when she spent time with Madoka, as if her friend's cheerfulness and innocence were contagious. Although it was clear to anyone who might stop and observe the scene that Sayaka was a magical girl, and Madoka was an ordinary girl, it did not matter to her what they were other than two friends whose friendship would never waver no matter what the future might hold for them.

The cake shop had a fancy-sounding name and a sense of decor to match it, with an elegant yet functional appeal to the booths that lined each side and the wide glass storefront with frosted letters spelling its name. Sayaka nodded in approval before pushing through the door, a gentle bell ringing to announce her entrance. A waitress quickly stepped up to them, her haste more than likely due to Sayaka being a magical girl, "Good afternoon. A table for two?"

"Yes, please," Sayaka nodded, finally letting go of Madoka's hand as she followed after the waitress as she showed them to their table right next to a window. The magical girl slid into her seat across from her friend, resting her elbows on the table while looking over the menu with a cursory glance. There were so many delicious cakes, it was difficult to even know where to begin or how to narrow down the choices... She had neither the ability nor finances to handle all of them, of course. Even as a magical girl, it was not as if anyone actually paid her for her services to the community, not that she would have accepted payment even if it were offered to her. None of that mattered to Sayaka, however, as long as she could give hope and revive the dreams of people like her friend Madoka.

"I know I haven't had much time to spend with you lately," Sayaka admitted with a bit of regret hinted at in her words, "So I guess I should should start off by asking how have you been, Madoka?" In an area full of aggressive and experienced magical girls with quotas hanging over their heads, it was hard for Sayaka to make much headway, especially in terms of witch hunting. Naturally, that left little time to either school or her friends, a unfortunate side-effect of the life she had chosen. Sayaka, however, would not let it rule all aspects of her life.

"Have you met any nice boys?" Sayaka teased, "I'm sure they are all over you now that we have entered high school." The magical girl grinned, knowing full well what sort of reaction her words would evoke from the pink-haired girl seated across from her.

Madoka waited with that same wellspring of patience as Sayaka thought about what it was she wanted to do with the time they had. Her eventual suggestion was acceptable, and Madoka nodded in approval. "Alright," she replied, though at the same time secretly resolved to attempt to dodge Sayaka paying for the entire thing. The blunette did so much already, she didn't need to add this to them. She knew that her friend wasn't the best with money, and not having a steady source of income didn't help, and yet at the same time, while she could have taken what she wanted by force, she chose not to. It was that that made the pink haired girl look up to her friend, and resolve to help her, even in this small way.

Pulled along, Madoka stumbled at first, but quickly righted herself and followed along as the pair made their way to the cake shop, ignoring any of the strange looks they might have gotten along the way. Yes, she was a magical girl, but to Madoka that would never change the fact that they were friends. That eternal kindness and sympathy was part of what made her herself, and it was only dimmed by her wish that she could do more.

At last they arrived at the cake shop, it certainly giving off he impression of a high class location. It even had quick service, though a part of her was aware that that was because of her friend, who was successful in intimidating them by sheer appearance, without actually trying. Hands free once again, she followed along to the window seat, sitting down across from her friend and looking to the menu. "Wow, there's so much," she said in slight awe, wondering where even to start. It reaffirmed what she had decided before as well, that Sayaka would not be paying for this if she could help it.

Attention leaving the menu, she shook her head as Sayaka began to speak. "It's alright," she replied. "I know you've been busy, and I'm sure what you've been doing is important." Her smile was warming, filled to the brim with confident certainty. It was a belief that could not be shaken, that much trust she had in her friend to be doing the right thing. "I've been fine," she added to that.

Then she registered Sayaka's teasing and lit up in a nervous blush, cheeks taking on a dusting of pink. "Ah, n-no," she sputtered, falling into the same hopeless inability when it came to all interactions involving possible romance while averting her eyes. "There isn't anyone interested in me....like that." This, despite all of Junko's efforts to change that. It seemed it just wasn't meant to be, even though she could become friends with pretty much anyone.

Yes, Sayaka had kept herself busy defending the weak and helpless while furthering her own magical girl career through hard work and raw determination, a fact that she prided herself in. While before she had been helpless and unable to accomplish anything meaningful in her life, the life of a magical girl had opened doors for her that had remained closed before. Although, admittedly, she currently lacked the capacity to influence the world to the same extent as Kyoko or Mami, her dedication demanded that she continue on her chosen path, unaware of the strong possibility of a tragic destination.

"What kind of world do we live in where a cute girl like you who can make friends without even trying can't even get a boy's attention?" Sayaka leaned back in her seat as a sigh escaped her lips, "Don't worry, they probably just feel insecure around you. If a boy can't even pull together the courage to ask you out, he isn't worth your time." Sayaka did not miss the irony of her own advice when she found herself in a similar situation, as the one boy who she did have an interest in showed no signs of returning her affections. If she gave up on the boy whom she had used her wish to save, however, then how could she look herself in the mirror each morning? She had to hold onto the hope that he might someday acknowledge her feelings, as it was one of the few things which kept her from falling into the gaping pit of despair.

"Excuse me," the waitress' voice summoned Sayaka's attention, "Are you two ready to order?"

"Oh, right..." Sayaka picked up the menu and quickly scanned it line-by-line before stopping on the raspberry chocolate cheesecake, "I'll have one of these... What about you, Madoka-chan?"

That blush she had didn't seem to want to go away as Madoka listened to Sayaka commented on her nonexistent love life. Of course, she did notice how similar the advice she was getting now was to some of the stuff Mama had told her before, but she was willing to let Sayaka think she'd said it first, since it was different enough, and she didn't want to hurt her feelings. "I...I guess you're right," she replied as she glanced about nervously.

Fortunately, the waitress arrived to save her from further embarrassing questions, at least for the moment. She returned to the menu, looking over the mouth watering choices as Sayaka said what she wanted, before making her own choice as well. "Ummm, I'll have the strawberry shortcake," she replied, handing over the menu.

Sitting back as the waitress went to go fulfill their orders, she decided to take the opportunity to talk, fill in Sayaka on some of the stuff she'd missed. "Hitomi is doing well, Saotome-sensei has still had no luck in her relationships..." She frowned, a finger poised on her chin in thought. "What else was there," she asked herself, trying to think up interesting things that had happened Sayaka might not know about already. "So how is everything going with you?" A cop out, but until she could think up something else she would have to go with the next best alternative.

"Saotome-sensei..." Sayaka let out a sigh, not at all surprised that their teacher had not managed to land a man of her own, given that she received advice from Nakazawa-kun concerning her dates. Sayaka, for one, could not understand why she would consult with one of her students of all people about her love life.

She looked over at Madoka and paused, pondering how to answer the same question directed back at her. She did not want to simply kill the conversational flow by answering with the usual response, however, so she resolved to share her recent discovery with Madoka instead. The bluenette rested her elbows on the table and leaned forward.

"Things are looking up for me, actually," Sayaka smiled, "I ran into Kyoko-san on the way over, and I think she's actually a nicer person than she lets on." She rested her head on her left palm, "Sure, she's selfish and violent, but I don't think she's a bad person. If I'm correct, I think I should be able to reach my goal sooner than I thought. Who knows, we might even become friends before long." Sayaka's optimism flowed out from her words, filling the air with a sticky-sweet sort of sensation.

Waiting for her response, Madoka gave her a curious look as she went with the unexpected option, telling her than things were looking up for her. "Oh," she asked, wondering what it was she had to say. She knew it had to be interesting, to say the least, which meant it probably didn't involve fighting Witches or something similar. While that was good, it wasn't something Sayaka felt like relaying to her most of the time, unless it was a particularly strong Witch that she had managed to take down by herself.

Fortunately, she didn't have to wait long as Sayaka revealed what she had learned, or thought she had learned, about Kyoko, and Madoka broke into a beaming smile, feeding off the warm atmosphere that had sprung up. "Really? That's great," she replied. genuinely glad to hear that news. It was just how she was, always seeing the good in people, and even though Kyoko wasn't the nicest person, she had been sure that there was a good person beneath the surface. That was her, Madoka, the eternal optimist. And now she could treat this as a victory of sorts. When they had started out, her friend had thought that the only way to achieve her goals was to remove Kyoko from her position of power, but she had been sure that there had to be another way. Magical girls should be fighting Witches, not each other. And now it seemed that she was being proven right at last.

Of course, knowing a good side was there and actually reaching it were two very different things, but the pinkette had confidence in her friend to be able to do it, and right the wrongs present here. "I knew you two could be friends if you just tried," she added, also a true statement, even if she had no reason to back it up beyond that same optimism and innocence that fueled everything she did. But she truly seemed happy with this turn of events, head slightly tilted as she gave Sayaka a wide, happy smile

"Not everyone makes friends as easily as you do, you know," Sayaka laughed, "I suppose its worth a shot, though." Her worries concerning surviving her next battle against a Witch, possible outbreaks of violence between the various factions, and even meeting the strictly-imposed grief seed quota all simply faded into the background, a welcome reprieve from the constant strain and worry.

While her new life gave her a sense of purpose, it came with many unforeseen complications which she did not wish either Madoka nor Kyosuke getting involved with. Through an ironic twist of fate, her very wish which stemmed from her affection for Kyosuke had created a barrier between them, one which she was in no position to make any effort to destroy, for the time being at least. None of these thoughts, however, taunted her for the time being, almost as if Madoka's mere presence warded off Sayaka's worries and concerns.

"Next time, all three of us should enjoy some delicious cake together," Sayaka suggested before changing he subject once again, "Say, have you thought about what you want to do with your life once you graduate high school? I mean, I'm sure you could get into a pretty nice college with your grades... Which, needless to say, are far better than my own." Sayaka let out a sigh, remembering that she had yet to start on the history report due in a few weeks.

Much as Madoka was aware that she was a bit exceptional when it came to claiming a place in people's lives as their friend, she was still certain in her verdict, that she knew Sayaka and Kyoko could be friends if they tried. And at least the blunette was agreeing with her now, which was a good thing. Anything to lessen the danger she would be in was something to strive for, and being Kyoko's friend would be included in that. Them actively fighting over principles helped no one.

"I know," she replied. "But still I'm happy for you. You and Kyoko never really got along, so even a small step is an improvement." "Sure," she nodded in agreement with the following statement that the three of them should have cake together next time. She certainly wouldn't mind that, so long as it made her friends happy. Not so much as that was her purpose in life, but to see her friends happy made her happy as well, so she'd do what she could to bring smiles to their faces, and derive her own happiness from that.

She followed the switched topic, turned to contemplative thought as she considered what she wanted to do after school. "I was thinking of being a doctor," she admitted. "Maybe a veterinarian. I mean, I can't be a magical girl like you, but I still want to help people. I guess I'll have to go to med school...." She trailed off, thinking of where exactly she would go for that, before being brought back by Sayaka's comment about her grades, aware that that had been a chronic problem even before she had become a magical girl. "I-If you want some help, I'd be glad to," she commented. "I'm sure Hitomi would as well, since you do so much for all of us."

"Go for it, Madoka-chan," Sayaka smiled, "I'm sure you'd make a great doctor." Sayaka could already imagine her friend dressed up in a lab coat, diligently treating her patients and diagnosing whatever ailments that might trouble them. From her point of view, Madoka had a unique personality that made her suited for caring for the needs of others due to her innately empathetic and caring nature. Becoming a vet would not be a bad choice either, in Sayaka's opinion, as she felt that her friend would care for animals just as well as humans.

"T-that's alright," Sayaka waved her right hand in the air, "Most of my problem is that I don't get enough sleep so I end up taking naps during class and miss over half of the material, and I'm sure you can guess the reason for that... I don't want to be a burden and I'm sure I'll find a way to work things out..." The bluenette's shoulders sagged slightly, "I mean, its not like I can really live a normal life like you and Hitomi... Not anymore anyway."

She looked down at her right hand laid out on the table for a moment before looking back up at Madoka, smiling at her friend despite the painful reminder, "You don't need to feel indebted to me, either... This is something that I chose for myself, so don't feel like you need to give anything back to me. After all, your friendship is all I could ever ask from you."

"Thanks. I will," Madoka replied to Sayaka's encouragement, holding back a blush of embarrassment that wanted to arise unbidden, even if she knew there was nothing to be embarrassed of. It was just her friend giving her the encouragement to go after her goals after all. Of course, she couldn't see the doctor-ly images that ran through the other girls mind, but she probably would have come up with something similar if she had tried. She was pretty creative after all, as anyone could attest to.

"But you're not a burden," she protested, shaking her head emphatically. "You'll never be a burden, not to me anyway." It was that same steadfast loyalty she had shown throughout the entirety of their friendship. Madoka would never abandon or turn her back on a friend if she could help it. "It's just...you do so much for people. You fight monsters and save them, and you do it without expecting to get a thing in return. That's why I want to help you any way I can. How can I not feel indebted when you truly deserve it?" She quite apparently felt very strongly on this issue, showing the same kind of stubbornness Sayaka herself could present in her arguments. She had her moral compass, and she was going to stick by it to the end.

"I...I wish I could do more," she said, head bowed sadly. This obviously affected her a lot, her perceived inability to help others as much as she thought she could. Sayaka was out there risking her life, and all Madoka could do was watch, and pray. She helped where she could, but it wasn't enough, not in her mind, not when she knew there was more she could be doing.

Would you trade your soul for that wish? Before Sayaka could reply to her friend, that thought came across in both their heads as everyone's favorite white cat-bunny emerged from the shadows, tail flicking about as it walked over and hopped onto the padded seat beside Madoka. If you really want to make a difference, contract with me and become a Magical Girl.

Madoka looked down at Kyubey, not necessarily with distrust, but just wariness. She'd of course heard of Kyubey, seen him when Sayaka had contracted, and knew he could really do what he said. R-Really? I could do that, couldn't I, she replied, seriously considering the offer. Then she and the blunette could fight together, help people, change the way things were to how they should be.

Of course, Kyubey commented happily. With the kind of magical potential you have, you could make a wish that could change the entire world. You could be the strongest magical girl in existence! Now there was a tantalizing thought. Not to be the strongest persay, but to be able to change the world, to do something that could help everyone. Of course, Sayaka would probably have her own opinion on the matter, but that remained to be heard

"Wait!" Sayaka abruptly stood up, slamming her hands down onto the table in the process as she spoke up before things could progress any further, "I mean... This is not a decision you should be taking lightly, Madoka-chan. I know how you must feel. Before I became a magical girl I felt helpless, powerless, and unsure, and I'm sure you are feeling the same way now." The pressure had been well-nigh unbearable, as no matter what she did or lengths she went to, she always had the same result staring at her in the face in the end. Failure met her at every turn, frustrating her efforts to accomplish something, anything at all worth mentioning. With all the drive and aspiration in the world but none of the talent or opportunity to shine, the world cruelly denied her any reprieve from the crushing weight that bore down on her shoulders... That is, until she became a magical girl.

She looked up at her friend with a firm yet tender gaze, "But you have something I did not! You have a dream for your future, and you should hold onto it, Madoka, for as long as you can. The reason why I am out there fighting, risking my life every day is to protect people like you, to protect their dreams..." The life of a magical girl had given Sayaka a way out, a means of escape from the constant strain, but at the same time it had closed many doors, many potential opportunities and paths in life that she had not even been aware of before. Sayaka had been lost, groping about in the darkness for something, anything at all to anchor herself on. Madoka, however, was different. Madoka never gave in to the pressure. She never took the easy way out.

Sayaka's hands tightened into fists as she leaned against the table, her head dropping to stare at the polished wooden surface, "If... If you become a magical girl, too, then its like one of the reasons I have been fighting will be for nothing... If it is really what you want, then I won't stand in your way, Madoka-chan, but please..." Sayaka finally looked up at her friend once again, tears brimming in her eyes, "Please think carefully about what you want." The bluenette's words carried more weight than the words alone conveyed, as she wanted her friend to think not only about her wish, but also about her own life, what she wished to accomplish and what she valued above all else. How Madoka would react to her words and her final decision, however, remained to be seen.

If Kyubey seemed perturbed by Sayaka's outburst, he didn't show it. In fact, he seemed to agree as he padded about, sitting in a way that both girls would be able to see him easily. Sayaka has a point, he added once the girl had settled down and finished. A wish isn't something you should casually make. Take some time to think about it, find something worth changing, and then wish for that. A decision on the spur of the moment never ends well. And he would know about that. He was the one who granted the wishes after all, even though there was significant effort invested in making sure he didn't. But it wasn't like he could die, and they needed him, so he stuck around.

Madoka sank back in her seat at the show of firm opinion and anger, her own confidence faltering in the face of Sayaka's stubborn and occasionally aggressive personality. She seemed on the verge of tears as she glanced away, afraid to meet her fiery gaze and instead looking at the table with a bowed head. "I-I'm sorry," she replied, crestfallen. "I just...I just see you out there fighting so hard, and I can't measure up to that."

Her confidence then reasserted itself, and she looked back up to Sayaka with certainty in her gaze. "But I'll do the best I can, and make sure that it's what I really want," she affirmed in all seriousness. "Promise." And that she would. Madoka might tell a white lie once in a while, for a good cause, but something like this she would only say in dead seriousness. She had the feeling that she would let Sayaka down if she didn't, and if there was one thing she wouldn't do, it was let her friends down. She didn't know how she'd be able to face herself afterwards.

The bluenette calmed herself, spending a moment to wipe her eyes before returning to her seat. They were in public, after all, and she did not want to make a scene even if nobody would do anything about it on account of her being a magical girl. "I think you are fine the way you are, Madoka-chan," Sayaka admitted, in a much calmer tone than before, "Your kind, caring heart makes you who you are. I'm sure you'll find your answer, and when you do, I'll support you one hundred percent." Even if she did not agree with her friend at every point, she owed it to Madoka to be there for her when she needed her the most, especially when considering something so permanently life-changing as becoming a magical girl.

The clever incubator managed to state his own opinion on the matter without directly opposing Sayaka's. While his expressed intentions were deceptively clear on the surface, the way he reassured potential magical girls until they formed contracts possessed a subtlety which evaded Sayaka's perception. The true fate of a magical girl, of course, remained concealed from both the girls present. How effective this would be to convince Madoka to form a contract with him remained to be seen.

Just then, the waitress arrived with their cakes, which she slid in front of them with a polite nod to each, "Please enjoy."

Sayaka nodded back to her before turning her attention to the raspberry cheesecake in front of her. She gently picked up her fork and cut off the very tip of the slice before slipping it between her lips, savoring the sweet rush of flavor which filled her mouth, "MMmm... Here, you should try some of this too, Madoka-chan~" Sayaka cut another piece from the cake and held it up to Madoka, using the cake's arrival as an opportunity to cheer her up. Sayaka felt that she needed to cherish moments like this that she could share with her friend, as uncertainty and danger loomed in the not-so-distant future.

"Thank you Sayaka-chan," Madoka replied with the smile having returned to her face. "I won't let you down." She would strive to her fullest to accomplish, in what she could do as a normal girl, or as a magical girl if she made that decision. It would be a hard choice, and one she had to give a lot of thoughts, but at the moment she was willing to consider the possibility, given her ignorance of some of the facts of magical girl life that even Sayaka didn't know. She would give what Sayaka and Kyubey said both the due consideration she deserved, and she would think on a possible wish as well, for the future.

Any further thought of that was dismissed though as the waitress arrived with their ordered cakes, presenting a slice of strawberry shortcake to the pink haired girl who looked on it with anticipation.

Picking up her own fork, Madoka mirrored the blunette, cutting off a small piece of cake, with frosting and a bit of strawberry on it, and wasted no time in sampling the delicacy. She almost groaned at the taste, the strawberry and vanilla mixing perfectly on her pallet. "Ahhh, so good," she commented happily, eyes sparkling. If there was one thing she enjoyed, it was good cake. Now she found herself wishing that she could afford everything on the menu, but she would have to settle for this.

Offered some of Sayaka's choice, Madoka dipped her head forward, to bite the cake right off the fork, giving it the same sampling and consideration she had her own before nodding in approval. "It's really good," she reaffirmed, before carving off a bit from her own cake and offering it up in return. "Here, now you try Sayaka-chan." She beamed, fully enjoying the time she was spending with her friend, a moment she wouldn't trade for anything in the world, and glad to see the blunette happy as well.

"Thanks, Madoka-chan," Sayaka leaned forward and accepted the bit of cake. "Strawberries..." she murmured contentedly as the smooth, sweet flavor filled her mouth, "Its stuff like strawberries that remind me that there are lots of great things in the world to enjoy." Sayaka resumed eating her own slice, pausing occasionally to feed Madoka as well. Their forks cut away at their slices of cake, the sweet goodness shrinking in size with each savory bite.

Although Kyubey remained present, Sayaka ignored him for the most part. Even if it was an ultimately fruitless endeavor, she wanted to forget about her duties as a magical girl for the time being, of which Kyubey was a constant reminder. For now, they were just two friends spending an afternoon together, nothing more.

"Hm... Would you like to choose were we go next?" Sayaka placed her fork down against her plate after she had finished, "We still have a little time left." She knew she would have to leave for her nightly witch hunting before long, but she wanted to extend her time with her friend for as long as she could afford.

Madoka nodded in approval, and resumed eating along with her friend. The slice of cake vanished in miniscule amounts as she carved away at it, most eaten to delighted hums, and the rest doled out to Sayaka in exchange for raspberry cheesecake in return. This was seriously good cake, really worth it in her opinion, and Madoka was glad that Sayaka had suggested it. They would definitely be coming here in the future.

Meanwhile, Kyubey curled up where he was, having no particular need to eat cake, or any particular desire to do so. He was just here to watch, listen, and comment occasionally on relevant things. He supposed he could have left, but there wasn't much to do at the moment, and being with someone lessened the chance of being killed, which would be an extreme inconvenience at best. Perhaps he did provide Sayaka with an unwelcome reminder of her current status, but that was hardly his problem. As far as Kyubey was concerned, her attempts to deny what she was were futile, since, in the end, she needed Grief Seeds to live, and to get them she had to fight. Eating cake wouldn't change that. But then again, the longer she lived, the more Grief seeds were collected, and the closer she would come to contributing to the survival of the universe.

Madoka finished shortly after Sayaka, placing her fork down and wiping her mouth with the provided napkin. Asked what she wanted to do, she frowned in thought, wondering where indeed they should go. Then she hit upon an idea. "Oh, how about a karaoke bar," she offered, aware that there might not have been enough time for that to truly be fun. Meanwhile, she'd be trying to implement her plan to pay for this meal in spite of Sayaka when she could. But first, they should get their next destination settled.

The blissful illusion Sayaka had constructed around herself would be shattered soon enough as the cake's enjoyment, as well as her time with Madoka, began to draw to a close. Before long she would be thrust into the reality of her situation, faced with danger and the inevitability of her eventual fate that remained concealed to all but one of the persons seated around the table. They had not specifically asked him about the relation between magical girls and witches, of course, but that did not make Kyubey's silence on the matter any less deceptive.s

"Hm... I think we should probably hold off on the karaoke until next time," Sayaka suggested, "I'd have to leave in the middle even if we left right now." She motioned to the waitress before continuing, "Perhaps there is a shop nearby you'd like to visit? I'm sure we could find some cute hairpins or something." Sayaka realized she was not particularly feminine, but the thought of wearing matching accessories with Madoka caused some of her innate femininity to bubble up to the surface. Something like that might even work as a good luck charm while hunting witches, empowered with the protective strength of friendship, right?

As Sayaka had already resolved to herself that she'd be paying for the cake, she remained unaware of Madoka's opposing intentions. When the waitress returned, she slipped the bill down onto the table and gave them one last polite bow, "Thank you, I hope you visit again soon." Sayaka looked down to pull out her coin purse, giving Madoka the opening she had been waiting for.

Madoka didn't seem too let down by Sayaka rejection, since she had been pretty much wondering the same thing. "Alright," she replied, turning once more to intense thought and considering the nearby stores that they could visit. A few immediately sprang to mind, some pawn shops, a jewelry store, places that would definitely have something worth purchasing, and could be a lot of fun as well. And even if they didn't buy anything, that was what really mattered, wasn't it? "Hm, I can think of a good place," she admitted, but preferred for it to be something of a surprise for her friend.

Sayaka called the waitress over, the woman presenting them with the bill, and Madoka saw her chance, slipping the bill away from her while Sayaka was looking for her purse. She then pulled out her own, quickly taking out the amount needed and laying it down on the table. "Sorry Sayaka-chan," she said apologetically. "But I don't really need the money that much, not as much as you. Especially when you aren't getting paid."

"Ah..." Sayaka looked back at the table when she heard Madoka's apology, the folded bills and coins totally the exact amount laid out before her. She smiled, realizing she should have expected such thoughtfulness from her friend, "Thanks, Madoka-chan. I guess I owe you twice now." Sayaka did not have much money to spare as it was, with her magical girl activities which stretched far into the night making it virtually impossible to squeeze a part-time job into her already tightly-packed schedule. Perhaps if she did not attend college after graduating high school it would be a possibility, but such a proposition was so far in the future for her that she gave little thought to it.

"Alright," Sayaka stood up from the table, "Lead the way, Madoka-chan. Even if I can only afford to window-shop, that won't stop me. What's something like that to a hero of justice, right?" The bluenette laughed, but deep inside she felt admiration toward her friend who could so easily and selflessly put the needs of others before herself. For her own part, Sayaka did so out of a desire to draw a sense of purpose from her life, to reassure herself that her existence had meaning by contributing to the protection of the world that she loved. Madoka was different, in that she detected no selfish motives behind her actions. In a way, Madoka had a purer heart than Sayaka, a heart pure enough to warrant the badge of a magical girl that she herself wore.

Madoka shook her head at Sayaka's comment, seeing it in turn as part of the debt that was owed to Sayaka for all she did, one that would take some doing to pay back. "You don't owe me anything Sayaka-chan," she replied truthfully. Honestly, if Madoka was owed for all the nice things she did, she would have quite the balance racked up in her favor. Yet it was a debt on which she would never call if she could help it, seeing it as merely a repayment for the service of others.

"Right," she agreed happily as she rose, picking up the money and the bill. Leading the way, she walked over to the counter and delivered the bill there, paying for the meal that they had just eaten, before heading back out to spend the rest of the time they had left. As far as she was concerned, it was money well spent, for a good cause and for how delicious that cake had been. She would definitely come back at some point in the future.

She led Sayaka along, recalling directions as she went along, down a few city streets, before arriving at a pawn shop, the one she had selected. It was relatively large, one of those places that seemed to have everything, and one could easily lose track of time inside. Madoka didn't plan on going that deep inside, but surely they would be able to find some good stuff in there. "Here we are," she announced as she stepped inside, bell on the door ringing with their entry, admitting them into a warm store with rows upon rows of stuff, plenty for browsing pleasure.

Sayaka followed after her friend, sticking close to her since the magical girl was unfamiliar with this particular part of the city. The pawn shop was nestled in the older part of town which retained a bit of that old-time sort of feel without coming across as old-fashioned or run-down, much like the items that lined the shop's shelves. Treasures, collectables, and long-forgotten trinkets practically filled the store from back to front, bringing a broad smile to Sayaka's lips. She immediately began to look about, jumping from one thing to another excitedly while wondering why she had never heard of a place like this before.

"Oh, look at this cute little nightstand lamp, Madoka-chan!" Sayaka pointed, then turned to look at a basket full of blown glass necklaces, "These look pretty, and well-made, too." Leaving Sayaka for too long in a store such as this would be like leaving a small child in a candy shop. Before long, however, something on one of the lower shelves drew her attention and she bent down to get a better look at it.

Nestled by themselves sat a pair of bracelets, each formed out of interlocking metal chains decorated with small semiprecious stones. Sayaka quickly picked them up, holding them up to the light to allow the tiny gems a chance to shimmer boldly for a moment before turning toward Madoka, "Hey, what do you think of these? There is one for each of us, too, Ma-"

Even as she spoke, however, her blood ran cold upon seeing something else in the pawn shop, something that did not belong there at all... It was small and round, with a pin-like needle sticking through its center. Its black coloration and distinct aura that it emitted rendered it unmistakable. Sayaka's body froze up, unable to react immediately due to the shock. A grief seed? What was something like that doing here? She forced herself to move, dashing toward her friend, "Madoka, get back!"

Madoka giggled as she watched Sayaka practically spin in the store they had entered, from one shelf to another, looking at the assortment of eclectic objects with a wide grin, She'd have to be the one to keep track of time then, and make sure Sayaka got out on patrol when she was supposed to, or else the girl would probably spend all night in here. And while she didn't mind spending the time with her friend, she knew that the blunette had responsibilities to meet. For example, that Grief Seed quota.

So she went to it as well, looking at what Sayaka pointed out, as well as some other things, such as statues, clocks, and otherwise enjoying the time they had left. It seemed she'd made the right choice of location after all, and since Kyubey had left to go whatever it was Kyubey did when no one else was watching, they didn't have to be disturbed with that particular reminder of things to come.

Called over once more, Madoka proceeded to stand beside Sayaka, looking at the bracelets she held. "They look pretty," she replied happily, before noticing that Sayaka wasn't paying attention anymore, her expression frozen and skin paling a bit. She turned to follow her gaze, eyes widening upon seeing the small black orb that seemed to radiate a malevolent air. Wait, wasn't that....

Sayaka moved towards her, and Madoka nodded, legs taking her away from the black seed before it could hatch. At the end of the aisle though she stopped, looking back to her friend. "Sayaka-chan, what about the other people in the store," she called, unwilling to leave while other people, such as the employees or customers, were still in danger of the as-of-yet-unhatched Witch as well. It seemed that even Madoka could have a lapse of common sense in certain situations.

"Get out of here, stupid!" Sayaka shouted to her friend as soon as she stopped, "I'll worry about the others, just get yourself to safety!" Twenty, perhaps thirty people, both employees and customers, still wandered through the store completely oblivious to the imminent danger laying dormant beside them. Without any way of knowing when it would hatch, Sayaka knew she had to take advantage of every moment left to her to clear the building lest they become entrapped within the witch's barrier as it formed.

Sayaka drew in a deep breath, "Customers and employees, please leave the building immediately! I am Sayaka Miki, a magical girl, and this establishment is now off-limits to any non-magical-girls. Go to the nearest exit in an orderly way, and-" The rest of her speech, however, became drowned out in a cacophony of screams and cries as a thick darkness began to spread outward from the center of the store. Sayaka no longer had the ability nor need to make herself heard as people from all corners of the store fled in an ultimately fruitless manner as the barrier began to form right around them.

The bluenette drew her sword, its edge simmering as she turned toward where Madoka had stood mere moments before, but was now nowhere to be seen... "M-madoka-chan?" Sayaka's eyes drew wide, panic filling her as her eyes searched for her friend, "Madoka-chan?!" A sudden burst of wind forced her to turn and brace herself against the surge of power emanating from the awakening seed, all light draining from the immediate area as it became suddenly and abruptly bathed in darkness...

When Sayaka opened her eyes, the warm, comforting interior of the store had been replaced with interlocking arrangements of gears and axles forming walls and floors extending in all directions, while the sound of carnival music, albeit slow and distorted, rang in the distance. The agglomeration of gears made it difficult to move any reasonable distance, safely that is, while they turned and groaned like the massive inner-workings of a gigantic grandfather clock. "Madoka?" She called out before running forward, a pink door sliding into view as it stood etched into the side of one of the huge gears that formed a wall. She dashed toward it, but as she did so a clacking sound resounded in the room and one of the gears slid back as one of the witch's familiars popped out of the hole. It resembled a teddy bear of sorts, standing about two and a half feet tall with soft brown fur. In its hand it held a single red balloon which drifted side to side despite there being no wind. Sayaka frowned. Just what sort of witch had familiars that looked like that?

Sayaka shook her head and ran past the familiar to the door. There were many people trapped inside the barrier, Madoka included, who would doubtless parish if she did not hurry to their rescue. She could not afford to waste time fighting familiars that were not actively attacking anyone at the moment. The magical girl reached out and grasped the door's handle and stepped through into an even larger room beyond...

Back
Top Bottom