Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question about Story Idea Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPSanity

Moon
I'm knew here, I just read a reply to my request thread. I was hoping it was someone posting an interest in one of my idea's, or maybe just giving me a bump. Instead the person belittled my thread because it was too wordy. I'm a little upset, so honestly, to say they belittled my thread is probably an exaggeration, I don't know I am a little upset at the moment.

But now I'm wondering. Does this happen all the time here? I'm nervous enough as it is being new here. Do I have to worry about people posting in my request thread to tell me what a horrible job I did with my story ideas?! Insinuating that my story wouldn't be 'quality' because it's length was too 'quantity'. Seriously? Really? I got carried away describing my story idea's, it wasn't deliberate. I didn't do it on purpose to make it 'quantity', and just because the ideas were more than a little 'wordy', sure as heck doesn't mean that my writing wouldn't be quality.

So I have some questions, and whether or not I stay on this site or leave depends on the answers I get.

Question 1: Does this happen all the time on this site? Someone posting in a request thread to criticize?

I have read other people's request threads, noticed that some of theirs were not as lengthy as mine, but I also read some that were just as lengthy. Yet no one posted in their request thread to criticize them. So..

Question 2: Is it just because I'm new here? Really, is it some kind of initiation that people who are under a month old are put through as a joke? Because if so, a warning would have been nice. I have a sense of humor, I could make myself laugh now about it if I new the person wasn't intentionally being mean and meant it as a joke. Really. Somehow, I doubt it was a joke though.

Question 3: Isn't posting in someone's request thread just to criticize, against the rules? Maybe I should read the rules again, because now that I think about it, I can't remember if it is or not. If not, it should be.

Question 4: If this treatment of new members is normal and it does happen all the time, should I leave? I want to enjoy writing, not wonder when the next attack is going to happen.

The person who posted their critique in my request thread, told me to condense. But she didn't tell me how. I noticed when reading many request threads that some of them had just the title and you would have to click on texted link in order to expand it and read the story idea. That would be a great way to 'condense', but like I said the person who told me to condense did not tell me how to do this. Which is why I suspect that the person who posted in my request thread wasn't really doing so to be helpful. Although knowing that I can't read minds, I acknowledge that it's possible if the person was really tired when they replied to my thread that it just never occurred to them to do so.

Anyway, can someone tell me how to do that? If someone can I would be grateful. Please don't reply to tell me that I am overreacting. I know that I am probably overreacting. I just want to know if this is normal here, and what, if anything I can do about it.

Thanks in advance.

Holy shit, calm down.

You are not being judged. One person read your thread and gave you some feedback on why they, personally, weren't interested. That's it.

My advice? Paragraphs. If I lost my place in your request thread, I'd be out five minutes finding it again.

You are not being persecuted, and you are not owed anything. Not a punishment (Wtf is up with question #3?), nor a critique to your standards (per your postscript). You get what someone decides to give you, and your response is what dictates what happens next.

This is a goddamn POOR response.

There was really no need to panic over something so....trivial. The post itself wasn't hostile in the least. It was just a bit of constructive criticism to try and help you out.

If you don't like what she has to say you could just PM her and ask her to remove it. And perhaps put somewhere in your RT that you don't want people posting things like that in your RT. You also probably should have messaged a mod, sub-admin or the admin about something like this instead of posting it here in the Q&S.

Thank you. After re-reading my request thread, especially her response. I do realize that I over reacted. Instead of asking her to remove it though, I would rather post a reply to her apologizing for over-reacting. I also need to do what Trygon suggested and edit my story ideas using paragraphs. I was hoping though that someone here would tell me how to do what I've seen a few others do in their request threads. They give a title and maybe a brief description and then a blue 'Click to View'. I wish I knew how to do that. That should really make my request thread easier to read.

Thats fine as well. Next time before you decide to react you should probably take a step back, a breather, and let yourself calm down or whatever. Go back to the situation if it STILL bothers you, then report it to staff.

As for the spoiler this is how you do it ::

PHP:
[spoiler]Text goes here[/spoiler]

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'm going to go back to editing my thread now. It's going to look a lot better with that spoiler code. Thanks again, for both the code and the great advice!

If you would like, I can help you edit it and make it more presentable and easier to read
^_^ I certainly didn't mean for it to feel judgmental ^_^

Okay, later tonight while I'm at work I'll put it together and post it to you ;3

The question in this thread has been more than answered and help has been provided. All subsequent posts can now be taken to PMs. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom