Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Trigger Warnings - Courtesy or Avoidance?

I don't see any harm in trigger warnings. Read a few opinions on here from people that do seem quite honestly offended by them, which I personally think is just silly. One says that if you need a trigger warning, you probably need therapy. Yes, that's likely true but doesn't invalidate the trigger warning, doesn't even mean they aren't seeking or getting therapy because it is there. Therapy is a process, it takes time, and the trigger warning costs the person leaving it 5 seconds at most to type out, usually. That seems a small price to pay to possibly save somebody from a panic attack. Those are awful, I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Yes, we are all (hopefully) adults here on this adult site, that doesn't mean that trigger warnings are childish. Adults suffer trauma too. Nobody is telling anybody they have to use them, I certainly don't have to myself and sometimes I don't, but to be quite honest it is a nice thing to do and you might just stop somebody from having a really bad time.

I don't see any harm in trigger warnings. Read a few opinions on here from people that do seem quite honestly offended by them, which I personally think is just silly. One says that if you need a trigger warning, you probably need therapy. Yes, that's likely true but doesn't invalidate the trigger warning, doesn't even mean they aren't seeking or getting therapy because it is there. Therapy is a process, it takes time, and the trigger warning costs the person leaving it 5 seconds at most to type out, usually. That seems a small price to pay to possibly save somebody from a panic attack. Those are awful, I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Yes, we are all (hopefully) adults here on this adult site, that doesn't mean that trigger warnings are childish. Adults suffer trauma too. Nobody is telling anybody they have to use them, I certainly don't have to myself and sometimes I don't, but to be quite honest it is a nice thing to do and you might just stop somebody from having a really bad time.
Brilliant. This ∆∆∆ 💯

I think we have a problem in our society with how we treat those who are disabled or less than able, although I have noticed it getting better the last 5-10 years. Slowly. Like, even just having a panic attack is viewed as this annoying weakness by a lot of people and that's not only not a very helpful view but it's also hurtful. So many people are told to make their problems smaller, quieter, or to shut up entirely, to make it easier for everyone else. When in reality, a lot of people suffer in small and big ways and could benefit from not only compassion but also a community to connect to.

That's what I think of when people complain about trigger warnings. People are being told to suck it up, to get over it, to make their personal problems small because they're burdening others. And it is isolating and unfair because not everyone can just swallow their problems and get on with life. In fact, such behavior causes more problems socially by perpetuating this stigma and perception that normal "healthy" people are somehow better and more deserving of space.

I think context is important. I know when I first joined sites like this I was somewhat taken aback when I saw underage characters (not little kids but 16 year olds for example), rape and non con. Not saying I needed a trigger warning but I can see how some people might be upset by those topics and themes. That said I think a blanket warning when you click on the site/or join it would suffice "This site contains extreme erotica and themes which may upset some people".

After that I think it's covered. If someone still decides to join than they have to have an open mind. I don't think every thread or post needs to have a Trigger Warning as the blanket warning has covered it.

I saw the post about being banned for using the phrase "Grammar Nazi" I think that is stupid to be banned for things like that. That is rather extreme and unless Nazi themed role plays are also banned than I can't see how it would trigger anyone. If you are going to start trying to cater to everyone's possible trauma or what they might be upset or offended by than you may as well close the site down.

"You can't use the term Grammar Nazi. Oh yes, but you can talk about gang rape as much as you like that is fine" in all likelihood there would be more chance of someone having been gang raped (or raped) on these sites than someone who actually experienced the Nazi's. I don't think common sense should be killed off.

Back
Top Bottom