Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Post Character Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Bunny Riven

Super-Earth
I ran a search through the little search bar for this forum, and did not find anything related to this question, so my apologies if it has been asked before. I tried to find it and did not see it.

Is there a character limit for individual posts on this site? I noticed that some of the request threads are quite sizable and when you factor in the coding for pictures, spoilers, text size, font, color, etc. then you're really getting up there in characters because of the extra coding. Anyway, I was just curious about this.

Don't know if this helps, but from my own experience the character limit seems to be upwards of 60,000 for a post (spaces included).

Battle Bunny Riven said:
I ran a search through the little search bar for this forum, and did not find anything related to this question, so my apologies if it has been asked before. I tried to find it and did not see it.

Is there a character limit for individual posts on this site? I noticed that some of the request threads are quite sizable and when you factor in the coding for pictures, spoilers, text size, font, color, etc. then you're really getting up there in characters because of the extra coding. Anyway, I was just curious about this.

Most forum software uses TEXT columns, which has an upper limit of 65,535 characters, though what can be represented as a character differs, so some foreign-language characters may actually take up several characters.

Aha! A definitive answer! That's quite the post size... I like to think that I am a decent writer, but I will never need all of that space. Thank you, Vekseid.

Would you believe it's actually in the feature request list to get rid of that limit? >_>

Jesus christ! Who needs that much space for a single post? Like... really? I am not even talking about role playing exclusively anymore. What reason would ANYONE need more space for? Are there robots out there role playing through binary or something?

Really long articles? It's only 10,000 - 12,000 words, roughly. Not even novella length.

Also, markup takes space as well. Certain characters, like quotes ("), apostrophes ('), and ampersands (&) also take up additional characters.

Ah, I see. Well it makes more sense when you break that down into a word count. Anyway, thank you for answering my question. I'll never need all of that space, but that's comforting to know. Running out of characters is why I stopped playing in IMs as my skills as a role player grew. They were fine when I started, but they just don't cut it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom