Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Calling All Civilization Fans!

Galactic Fantasia

Planetoid
I didn't see a discussion threat for this, so I thought that I would start one. Sid Meier's Civilization has been my favorite turn-based strategy game for a long time and that coupled with my love of science fiction has me very excited for the Fall release of Civilization: Beyond Earth. Here's a link to the PAX 2014 developer panel if you haven't seen it or haven't even heard of this upcoming release. Don't worry! The link is just to youtube; perfectly safe! I promise.

So do we have any other Civ fans in the house? What are your opinions on the upcoming release?

I know, right? When I first heard that they were doing a futuristic Civ game, I was actually quite disappointed and nervous about one of my favorite aspects of Civ disappearing - the history. After hearing the devs present the game, however, I am quite excited and hopeful for this new title. It will be interesting to explore a new direction to this classic favorite of mine.

I have to honestly wrack my brain around it. Imagine what will be different. A LOT. The civilizations will also be quite something to see in the first place.

I am really glad you shared that with me Miss Fantasia, I flipped my lid. XD

I really really need to buy Civ V and whatnot. I've only ever played the pretty mediocre Civ Revolution on PS3. I love these games, and have spent countless hours just watching them being played on Youtube.

I would just hold off, Mitsu. Beyond Earth is scheduled for a Fall release, so if that stays on track (and unlock other games developers, the Civ team does a pretty good job at making their deadlines) then it will be just around the corner. Investing in the full collection of Civ 5 might not be worth the cost with the new title on the horizon.

Of course, they said at PAX that this was a whole new take on Civ. The gameplay mechanics are likely going to be very different so Civ 5 might still be worth the investment despite Beyond Earth eclipsing it. OH! SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?

Anyay, I would weigh my options carefully.

Very valid point! It just wouldn't hurt me to buy both, especially if they're months apart. Besides, we all know that the vanilla game might not be so hot, until they start to roll out some fixes and expansions; my understanding is that Civ V was very much plagued by this.

Well the problem with Vanilla Civ 5 was that things that were included in previous Civ games had been removed such as Religion, expanded trade, and espionage. These things were staples of Civilization, but were not included in Civilization 5 in lieue of some new features. of course, the fans demanded them back because, well ,they are fun and add more depth to the game.

Beyond Earth, however, I view as a completely new start. There are many elements that I don't see making a return here because, well ,they wouldn't make sense in a more advanced and futuristic setting. We see religion going to the wayside in modern society. Two hundred years from now? I honestly expect most religions to become a minority statistic. Of course, we're getting new mechanics to play with that actually make sense in the setting so it's all good.

The best way to go into Beyond Earth is NOT with the mindset that it is the next Civilization game. I am going into this as a Civilization-inspired game. That is the best way to handle this, I think. The mechanics will be amiliar, but the deeper inner workings are going to be so different.

I think your right. A lot of mechanics will not even be able to function in the more three dimensional space of... Well, space. A LOT of things will change, but I still love this brand new world! X3

I can't wait for beyond earth, as Sins of a Solar Empire was my gateway drug to Civ V. Speaking of which, I would absolutely love a BMR game at some point~

I would be down for a BMR game, once I actually buy it, and then learn to play it to a competent level.

Oh, man! It would be so stellar to get a full game of Blue Mooners going - especially if we had enough to play a "Huge" game.

Finally bought and installed Civ V! I also happened to buy the Metal Gear Solid edition of Risk; I seem to be in a conquering mood.

Well this sounds promising. I didn't like Civilization 5 when it first came out due to the hexagonal revamp of the map, the missing aspects of the game like Religion, and the dumbing down of the Economy. I got used to the hexagonal map... eventually. Pretty excited to see this new title in action.​

Non-Con Desires said:
Well this sounds promising. I didn't like Civilization 5 when it first came out due to the hexagonal revamp of the map, the missing aspects of the game like Religion, and the dumbing down of the Economy. I got used to the hexagonal map... eventually. Pretty excited to see this new title in action.​

You need to play Brave New World.

Supremacy all the way, baby.
FLESH IS WEAK. STEEL IS STRENGTH.

Like Non-Con, I wasn't a big fan of Civ5. They did do one thing right, though: Removing the unlimited overlap function you had in Civ4, allowing things like bottlenecks and map tactics/logistics to be possible. Also the ranged combat system, though you did get that in a lot of the Civ4 mods, so it's not entirely new.

I'm still craving a Civ5 version of Fall From Heaven, though. I would almost never play a vanilla Civ game after I got hooked to FFH.
If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, I will seriously love you forever.

I did play Brave New World, but I was already in a state of dislike for the game as a whole. I felt as though these were features that never should have been removed. They were staples of the series and the only reason that we got them in an expansion so late in the game's life was because the fanbase called Firaxis out for removing them. Charging me more money for an expansion of content that should have already been in the game does not sit well with me; same with Gods and Kings. I don't mind paying for new features such as new civilizations or campaign modes, but this was a shameless way to squeeze more money out of us and it worked.

I'm glad to see Civilization take a step into the space age. It's a new game with new rules. They can't really make that same move again.​

They retooled the whole game - Somewhat unsuccessfully. I don't think there was any... Grand conspiracy, just a good company responding well to fan desires after their attempt to reinvent the wheel didn't pan.

That being said, I started on Civ 5, and I find all versions of all prior civ games unplayable.

Heh. By 'reinvent' they basically just streamlined everything.
The new happiness system is one thing I greatly disliked, along with the complete removal of city health.
And cities having stand-alone strength values meant that even if you left your city helpless the game didn't punish you.

So, I'm playing my first game. I have 24 hours played on the longest game type, in the largest map size. I'm playing it on chieftain, which was a big mistake, because it's too easy. Figured out some stuff about tile management that I did not know early in the game, so I think I pretty much have it all down now.

I think I pretty much have all of the game mechanics down. It's just the metagame that I really have to learn, because I know playing against people will likely require a much greater degree of efficiency. At any rate, I wouldn't mind playing regardless; I'm not salty about losing.

Back
Top Bottom