Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

IGNORING YOU!

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
How hard is it to get on your ignore list? Do you even have one?

What sets your teeth on edge or you can not tolerate?

Do you feel it is a "cowardly" response to dealing with someone on the internet? Do you ever ignore people you know in real life?

I, personally, have always used an ignore/enemy/foe list on whatever site I am on. I've wasted enough time on the internet butting heads with people to deal with bullshit or possible drama. Although it doesn't take much to get put on my list, I often go back through and try and remember why I put that person there. I have a very hot temper and am very sensitive - I'm a Leo *shrugs* - so sometimes, I'll ignore people but then interact with them later in chat and realize they're not so bad and take them off. It's all to ensure my experience online is as bump-free as possible and never out of malicious intent.

Sometimes, in real life I've done it too. When you've expressed yourself all you can and someone is still getting on your nerves, I don't know how else to deal with it. So, I go with a bare-minimum ignore type thing. One of my supervisors at work was always bitchy to me for no reason and even after I told her how it made me feel to be talked to like a dumb animal, she continued to use the same tone with me. It got to the point where it was literally affecting my day after interacting with her, you know? So, I stopped looking at her. At all. When talking to her my eyes would always go to the left of her or I'd look down and I kept myself stony and said the bare minimum I had to. Needles to say, when you refuse to let someone bother you, they kinda cease to do so. And I've even recently ignored family members because of toxic behaviors they engage in - like rumor spreading and yet justifying their behavior and treatment of others based on shit they don't even really know about. I'll treat them just like I would anybody who does that shit, blood or not.

((please, do not use real usernames of anyone in this thread; this is not for isolating and ostracizing members who "deserve to be ignored" but really to explore the social standards we each have for this forum feature and how we feel about using it))

It really depends on where I am hanging out. On forum sites, where I can just simply refuse to post back and let the assholes argue with themselves, I tend to forget about the ignore feature. If I don't post back then the people that I would rather not talk to will either A) Forget about me, B) make post after post about whatever rage that has them so riled up (posts which I will probably get a good laugh out of, at that), or C) move to harassing me through PMs, which I cannot as easily ignore. The first and second scenarios are a win/win for me. The third is reportable to the admins, so why should I really bother ignoring anyone? I don't see much of a reason to, personally.

That said, I abuse the shit out of my ignore list in online games. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't left me for another man yet.

I play games to have fun. If you're there to ruin that for me then fuck you too *ignore*. Oh, you're spamming chat with gibberish? *ignore* Oh, the children are whining about someone shitting on them in PvP? *ignore* Oh, how cute. You made an alt character to harass me for killing you in a PvP zone. *global ignore* You think you can spam emotes while I am trying to roleplay nearby? *ignore* Asking me to take down what I have posted on the auction house so that yo can pay me half of what I posted it for? *ignore* Begging for gold? *ignore* Spamming me with pings? *ignore* Can't control your language filter? *ignore* Hell, I ignore people for having retarded names if I am in a bad mood.

Forums are one thing. They're social boards to bring people of a common interest together. MMOs have all types, and 90% of them are giant walking dicks. Then there's another 9% that are just little fuckwads. When I make a new character on WoW, I can easily fill my ignore list before level 30 if I take my time and role play a little instead of just power leveling straight through. It makes me have sads.

I usually use it when there is someone is being stalkerish or harassing me. Otherwise I think I'm pretty good at keeping my cool, even with people whom I bump heads with. I've never flipped out on someone to a point that it could risk my place on whatever website I may have been on.

But yeah, the quickest way to my block list is being stalkerish. I had to quit WoW for a few months years ago when I still played because of a stalker. And I've blocked a few guys on okcupid the past couple of months because of the same reasons.

I won't say anything. I'll just block them, and ignore them again if they come to me on other accounts. I will then report them if they take it too far and start harassing me.

An ignore list, to me, is just blocking myself off from information. I'd always rather know what my enemies are saying.

I guess I don't have to ignore that person.

I do, however, agree with Trygon. I can choose not to read what is written, so using an ignore list is redundant. I'd also rather have the chance to read what these "enemies" are saying when it may benefit me.

I don't tend to use it too much, the main reason being that if someone PM's me to argue/start an argument, I can enjoy the banter without taking it seriously or letting it affect me. It's very hard to get under my skin to the point of making me want to ignore someone and, if I try hard enough, I can usually get them to ignore me instead. I'm competitive and treat it more as a game or battle of wits than anything else. Stalker-ish behaviour might be different, but fortunately I've never been stalked. In that case, I'd probably just hit the ignore button.

The other thing is, even if you ignore someone on here, you can still see their thread posts, or am I wrong about that? I've seen a few lately where I may have ignored the person - not so much because of harassment, but because I disagreed with the content and/or tone of the posts - to help stop myself from responding in the manner I really wanted to.

IM's are a different story, I use the ignore function a lot more, mostly because initial conversations/roleplays didn't work out and I don't want to be bombarded with messages from people who are no longer on my contact lists.

I have dealt with enough bullies in real life to put up with them online. I am not ashamed to blacklist a person if they are nothing but an asshole.
The internet is a great place to escape reality and vent, but people often forget that there is a real life person on the other side of the screen. Words hurt, even in text. Some people can take it harder than others and you may just be yelling at the wrong person at the wrong time, but your callas remarks could be the last straw that broke the camels back. People need to be careful.
Now, I know people have their own troubles, but if you're an asshole to someone online I hate to break it to you, but you are an asshole offline too. I don't care what you're going through, but if you are mean to someone online for the ridiculous fact that they can't find you then you are a bully and an asshole.
I can't stand people who are mean for the sake of being mean. It's wrong and pathetic.

So yeah, I black list people almost immediately. I don't deserve to be treated like a target just to entertain you. People who troll or cyber bully disgust me.

-Angry Kimi is angry-

I also black list stalkers and people who don't take 'no' for an answer. I have explained why I don't want to role play with them, yet they continue to bother me about it. It's just easier to ignore them completely if after explaining myself numerous times only for it to fall of deaf ears.

I only use Blacklist features in MMORPGs, since it is a mere video game. Even then, I only try putting people with incompetent names in there - I'm not going to play an MMO with XxsephirothxX - as those that can't come up with something competent (not necessarily unique, mind you) almost are never the kind of people to play with to begin with, no matter how nice they seem.

Plus, stalkers and bullies are just flattery machines. They make me feel even better about myself.

Honestly as a grown ass adult (21) I think its immature to ignore someone else just because they don't share the same beliefs as you. As for trolls and annoying people, theres virtually nothing anyone can say to me that will bother me.

I only use the ignore feature as a last resort. I train using only positive reinforcement and interactive problem solving. When someone gets stalker, doesn't take no for answer(as in repeating myself more than twice) or starts bullying, then I hit ignore. I don't like bullies or hurting others feelings and would like to know what a possible enemy might be planning, so the ignore button is my last resort, I've had it, get off my leg you creep, button. Other than that, I'm good. :p

Vic Rattlehead said:
Honestly as a grown ass adult (21)

XD definitely the most mature way to introduce ones self as an adult..

As for ignoring people it depends

If they start personal attacks I will block them and walk off.

If I can't read what they type due to terrible spelling I will also walk off.

And if I get bored I will walk off, I get bored a lot.

In terms of actually hitting the ignore button on someone I have never done that with the exception of blocking them from sending me private messages in the odd occasion that has happened.

There is another way of ignoring though even if you have read a post that you think is insane or offensive, you simply do not respond. That is often the best way as it takes steam away from the person who you disagree with.

What makes me ignore someone in this manner? To me someone swearing, using inflammatory language of some kind, name calling, insults and personal attacks are some factors that indicate to me that this person cannot or is not worth my time.

Not against swearing in general but in a section such as this it throws fuel on what is usually an already raging fire.

I also look at the context of people's posts, one was closed down here yesterday, the original poster posted a view on a topic that was quite subjective and also did not express it well. Ok fine but the posts that followed was an attack on this person and the thread of course ended up going nowhere until it was closed down.

So starting off a discussion right is crucial but once again when someone starts using aggressive or abusive language I know it is pointless and I sit back and either "ignore" or watch the fire burn from a distance.

LadyLarunai said:
Vic Rattlehead said:
Honestly as a grown ass adult (21)

XD definitely the most mature way to introduce ones self as an adult..
Why thank you! XD I like to be short and to the point only using big and flowery words, when I have to.

I dont use ignore lists/buttons/options because I see it this vay; if I "oficialy" ignore someone, I prove 2 that someone that his/her coments are afecting me. If somebody's anoying/harassing me, my universal reply (and only reply) 2 them wuld be: "Thanx, sweetie. Drop dead." After that, they can vryte a vhole novel of flaming/abuse if they vant, as many times as they vant and I vont even glance at it before clicking the delete button. Eventualy they get tired of barking at a wall, and give up.

For me I use the ignore button to pesty spammers when it is online. Otherwise, I rarely use it. Now, if someone has been emotionally hurting me on purpose, I might ignore them. Sometimes I just leave the site if it gets bad enough. I don't have a Facebook due to internet drama. I felt it was easier to ignore the whole site versus ignoring the people.

As far as in real life, I only ignore people to discourage bad behavior. A key example is my son.. when he was two I would place him in time out and ignore him til he calmed down. Needless to say, he broke that habit within two days. No one likes to be ignored... especially when they are trying to get attention.

I ignore stupidity as well... I can't stand it. I end up gritting my teeth and I find it safer for me to walk away so I can continue to chew food.

I have never used ignore online. I actually wish that I attracted more drama both online and in real life, as I like to see if I can get inferior people to mentally unravel. Idiots are great fun as well, and the net and real world are full of them. They're like toys, you play with them as much as you want, and then get a new one when you get bored. I don't really have a need for the ignore feature myself. I don't so much as ignore people, forgetting about them is more the thing.
*kanyeshrug*

Trygon said:
An ignore list, to me, is just blocking myself off from information. I'd always rather know what my enemies are saying.

99% of the time, I'm like this. I usually don't have enemies though. Especially here, people are too sexy :heart:

The exception happened when someone sent me an RP proposal for the same idea five times. I kept saying I didn't like the plot, but he would keep recycling the same invite every few weeks. Yeah, I'll admit that it shouldn't be too annoying because it is not so frequent, but it kind of annoyed me.

On a forum, never.
Unless they were sending me harassing PMs or something and I wanted to block that, but that's never happened to me.

On other places, like a blog site, I ignore more people if I just don't want to see their blog stuff (on tumblr), but in a community forum I wouldn't ignore people, I'd just skip their post if I didn't care what they were contributing.

I have major issues with not being able to ignore stuff when it's written about me, so I'll block and ignore in that case just to spare myself the pettiness. Also, if someone is sending me gross stuff like unwarranted comments or they're trying to cyber or something with me instead of roleplay that's an automatic block.

I'm on Tumblr a LOT too and the block feature just, finally, got updated and it's actually not worthless anymore so if I'm in an argument and I get sick of it or if someone is being nasty I'm just like Block, Block, Block! None of you are free from sin!

I like to have fun. How am I going to have fun ignoring spam and and ignoring shitty people in general when I can just get the website to ignore them for me. Godbless the block feature and everything it stands for.

LunarCinnamon said:
I'm on Tumblr a LOT too...

There's your problem right there. Why anyone uses that den of bullshit for social reasons is beyond me.

I only explicitly block or ignore people when they are harassing me constantly and/or effecting my online experience in a negative way. I am pretty lenient so you have to really be a thorn in my side for me to deliver the ban-hammer. Most of the time, if I really don't like what you are saying, I will just de-friend quietly.

However, I will say it's hard to get on my friend's list though. For example, on Facebook I have less than 50 friends. I am cool with most people, but only a select few capture my interest enough to want to be informed about their day to day activities.

Mitsu said:
There's your problem right there. Why anyone uses that den of bullshit for social reasons is beyond me.

To be fair, you can find a lot of cool stuff on there, in terms of random pictures and such, you might not find elsewhere.

You just have to be... really judicial in who you follow.

If you're harrassing me (I mean, genuinely harrassing, by going against me asking to not message me as much, by being hateful, aggressive or stuff like that) then I'll ignore you. Otherwise, I don't really use it, no. Never have and probably won't ever, not on here either.

Mitsu said:
LunarCinnamon said:
I'm on Tumblr a LOT too...

I use it for social reasons because that's where I prefer to spend my time lmfao. I've met a lot of cool people there, and I've learned a lot about myself too, which is more than I can say for other websites that encourage you to not explore your identity.

Back
Top Bottom