Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why so much god mode?

I'm about to dominate the fuck out of this thread with a ridiculous post but I like to think I'm a good authority on this kind of thing. I've been an admittedly OP player, and have had to work around the issue of making a mary sue and then changing them to be believable and less fucktardedly overpowered and derpy.

There are a lot of complex issues to address here and the major problem is that a lot of god mode players won't improve because they get a lot of eye rolling and general distaste. This makes unskilled players, which are usually young, defensive and gives them a "You can't tell me what to do" attitude, meaning that they're just going to keep doing what they want to do because fuck your opinion. What you need to do is not argue with these people but guide them in a parental fashion. If you try to guide them, show them all the patience in the world and they're still egregious shits anyways, then you can tell them to go fuck themselves.

While immaturity isn't 100% of the problem, it is a large contributing factor. Some people never get told they're wrong, or they get told in a way that makes them discount someone elses opinion as pure bullshit. I think it was George Carlin who said that the best way to get people to think about what you said is to get them to laugh with you. Barring that, at least be patient and tell them what they're doing wrong instead of saying "You're doing it wrong" and leaving it at that.

-----

One major problem I have personally had with marketing my own "God mode" characters, which is to say "Characters of mine who are excessively skilled or powerful in some way" is that I marketed them as an... "After Story Product". Generally, what I mean by that, is that I'm marketing him as though his story was already done and he's already hit level 100 and has all the skill points and feats and perks and spells and whatever. It's kinda like the argument that Harry Potter is a Mary Sue cause "All the special stuff happens to him".

Go look at any major character in almost any media at the end or far into their story (Some good examples are basically any Dragonball main character, Harry Potter character, Most anime protagonists, Video Game protaganists) and then read through their list of accomplishments and abilities. Seems pretty OP and God Modey doesn't it? It's cause it is, and for good reason.

This isn't necessarily the case in regards to characters that are new, just ones that are older and have this whole pre-written backstory like most of mine do.

People don't really understand that there is build up. They don't like to think about the characters they play as being three dimensional because, in a lot of cases, they use this as an escape to get away from thinking of themselves as three dimensional, or they just want something that's easy and not too difficult to think about. This is why cyber sex and pure smut scenes are so popular, because they're easy and don't take a lot of thought. Instant gratification, like Reality TV or Pop Music.

-----

Let's try to quantify this by looking at it like this: Batman vs Spider-man vs Superman

Batman's popularity is similar to that of Chuck Norris. He's a force of will. He's a human who is practically superhuman, is insanely smart, has money out the ass and has done everything. He can whip up an antidote to space aids while singing Carmen, all the while dodging bullets with a broken leg. He's got a batcar, a bat plane, a bat chopper, a bat bike, a bat mech, a bat sub, a bat sandwhich and a bat sidekick. He's everything most people wish they could be, OP for a 'good' reason and lots of people like that he broods and doesn't take shit from no one. Punches bad guys, fucks bitches, isn't afraid of anyone.

Spider-man's popularity, conversely is that he's the exact opposite. Super smart, but kind of a huge dork. Randomly stumbled into his powers by accident and capitalized on them to try and help people, but before he thought it through all the way, he realized that lots of people might get hurt because of him so he has to lead a double life to protect the people he loves. He has web shooters, gets around in one of the most awesome ways possible, is a sarcastic smartass, and is very repeatable and human. He doesn't have lots of money, he doesn't fuck all the bitches, but he lives a fairly respectable life and tries to be the best he can be.

Superman, in his original incarnation at least, had insane amounts of power and could literally just come up with them on the spot to deal with whatever bullshit he had to do so that day. He has a double life so he can live like a normal person, but then has to fly out to rescue everyone. His main villain, as far as I am aware, is Lex Luthor who is basically his exact opposite (In all honest, Luthor is basically villainous megalomaniac Batman who loses all the time). Superman is the ULTIMATE PATRIOT! and will NEVER GIVE UP JUSTICE! That's where his popularity stems from. He's a wish fulfillment mary sue that was used as propaganda to perpetuate the narrative that yes, America IS the land of the great. Look at our super hero, isn't he amazing!

Batman didn't start off amazingly talented. Spiderman didn't start off amazingly powerful. Superman did. Is it any wonder why Batman and Spider-man are probably the most popular of the three?

----

On this subject, I am guilty of making particularly powerful characters. I tend to put them in roles that are suited for them however, as in the case of "Powerful characters" intent can be everything. It can mean the difference between a game breakingly powerful character who makes no sense in context, or, a character who fits into the story and has a particular use that allows their abilities to be made useful or rational in the setting.

Some examples of my characters are:

====
Mason Eugene Seymour. He's a pact maker that has a high amount of magical power thanks to a deal with the devil and his studies of magic thereafter. He has to kill people to feed his contract, and runs a gang as a result. He has a cult that empowers him, but he's not the top dog in his city. He still has to respect "The Secret" and if he steps out of line, more powerful people will find him and hurt him. He's one of those BMX kids who drinks a lot, parties a lot, fucks around a lot.

Daniel Horatio Carver. He's an ex-Special Operative from the US Military. He's retired, but works for various supernatural forces. He's got more scars than common sense, drinks like a fish, and just loves to fight. He has some abilities that make him hard to put down, but he's a cocky jackass who's looking to die. He enforces "The Secret" and is one of the guys who deal with people like Mason when they fuck up. He's wealthy, fairly skilled and whatnot. Reading his past exploits is like reading a report on "How to be a badass" and he is a braggart of course. What guy isn't?

Carmina Avali. Cyborg, sorceress, transhumanist. She's trying to make herself into something better than man and machine. In 'future' scenarios, she's literally confined her personal body to a massive space station but can create Warframe-like bodies in her own image that she can shift her consciouness into. In her "Modern" era self, she's a dorky mage who's studying robotics and magic. In her "Future" era self, she's basically the Ellimist on crack. OP but I don't use her becfause she's op. I just think it's a neat idea.

====

Okay, so, back to the original point.

The why of it stems to what is easy, misinterpretation and many players not understand that what they're doing, in a certain setting, could completely destroy someone Else's enjoyment because of their heavy handedness. It's wish fulfillment, it's easy, it's mindless self indulgence.

I think god-moding primarily stems from not wanting to lose. No one want their favorite OC to lose. Of course, there are ways around this. Don't play an OC, play a set character with already set limits. Or create an OC with clearly set limits to begin with. Even if it's a character sheet just for your eyes only. Actually planning things out with role play partners. Some like this and some don't. Personally I feel some planning needs to be made. Not like everything scripted out but, the next 2 events to unfold should be discussed, but nothing further if you want an organic feel. Then you have writers who really do want everything scripted out. Which admittedly makes things hard to go OP in because you're playing within already set boundaries. A lot of chan boards always have a dice roll feature. No idea if this forum includes such a thing but I feel like that sort of feature needs to be used more often, especially concerning combat scenarios between two players. You can't argue with the RNG god. You get critical hits/miss and in between. Maybe even deliberately OOC determine a life counter.

I remember when we were doing general character building in a shared setting around here, back when. So many ultimately unstoppable characters. So many supernatural ultimate evils.

I remember I toyed around with some of those concepts. An ageless being who had been through several iterations of the universe, having been the ultimate celestial evil, and even tried out being the ultimate celestial good a few times, and finally had settled on just being, limiting his own use of his limitless power, and taking the form of slovenly fat redneck "Bubba." I liked the idea of cosmos-warping power choosing to not act because it was bored with petty posing, and I liked the idea of a Bubba-figure being the ultimate power. Talk about anti-image casting!

After a few "never lost a fight" guys were introduced, I thought up a guy who's fought a lot, but by his own lights, never won a fight. He either got beat down, in which case he went back to train, or he won too easily for his taste, in which case it wasn't really a fight. So he kept looking for a real challenge. Again, just like with Bubba, people didn't understand or respond to this guy.

There was an extended group superhero roleplay, I think it may have been on DeRP, where we had heroes and villains and the government trying to tamp down on both. I posted early on in that thread my idea for the powersuits that the government troops would be wearing, their capabilities and limits. Then, later on, I took the role of some troops in the powersuits, battling this supervillain guy. And he kept pulling out new powers, new things. Apparently he blew up a building to hide some secrets, but he also had a team of world-class snipers on hand, and his super-strong lackey, but he also had magical kukri that could cut through anything, and he could teleport even though he ran across half a city's rooftops to get to the target and had to break in... I don't even know who was running this guy, it's been long enough. There were some conceptual flaws in his plan, is what I'm saying, but I imagine in the years since he's gotten a lot better. Anyway. From my perspective, he pulled out a new power or created an advantage anytime he ran into trouble. I just worked with the capabilities I'd posted, and gave my pilot-soldier some canny reflexes and trained tactics. And I still managed to get him to run. (of course, logically, he should have disappeared immediately after destroying the data he was after, and avoided attacking a troop-transport helicopter with a knife, but that's neither here nor there).

The point is, some people cling to their image. The more inexperienced or insecure (in whatever fashion) they are, the less they can afford to see that image tarnish. And some people recognize that characters are just characters; they can have flaws and weaknesses, and it doesn't matter about the writer. It's a conceptual leap from one stance to the other, and some folks make the leap easily, and some never do. There's unfortunately not a single right or wrong way to approach roleplaying, and everyone has their own reasons and motivations.

I do love that this thread was initially established, though. I have long had issues with this phenomenon (as evidenced by my stories), and it's nice to see other people have noticed the same thing.

Absinthresher said:
Superman, in his original incarnation at least, had insane amounts of power and could literally just come up with them on the spot to deal with whatever bullshit he had to do so that day. He has a double life so he can live like a normal person, but then has to fly out to rescue everyone. His main villain, as far as I am aware, is Lex Luthor who is basically his exact opposite (In all honest, Luthor is basically villainous megalomaniac Batman who loses all the time). Superman is the ULTIMATE PATRIOT! and will NEVER GIVE UP JUSTICE! That's where his popularity stems from. He's a wish fulfillment mary sue that was used as propaganda to perpetuate the narrative that yes, America IS the land of the great. Look at our super hero, isn't he amazing!

Batman didn't start off amazingly talented. Spiderman didn't start off amazingly powerful. Superman did. Is it any wonder why Batman and Spider-man are probably the most popular of the three?

Well, at the very start, Superman was on the same level as, say, Mr Incredible. Tough but not invincible, strong but in the "lift a truck" sense rather than the "push the moon out the way" sense. He couldn't even fly, just leap over buildings. It wasn't until the Silver Age that the powers really got piled on (super-hypnosis, super-painting, etc).

And it's worth noting that you can tell good stories with Superman, though it is tough. The notion of someone who could rule the world but who doesn't because they prefer to live a relatively normal life and help people is compelling. And there have been interesting stories told about his iconic status in the world, as a symbol of fear (the villain of one big event was motivated by fear of where the simple existence of such powerful people could lead) or hope (by the same token, there's at least one character who applied their super-science skills to become a superhero themselves, after being saved by Superman). Indeed, one of the best-loved Superman moments doesn't involve winning fights or super-villains at all.

02XiiH5.jpg
So other than being a comic geek, what I'm trying to say is that a character being very powerful isn't automatically a bad thing if they're also an interesting person, don't overshadow other characters in the same story, and face appropriate challenges (which may have nothing to do with their actual powers).

Azuresun said:
Absinthresher said:

Well, at the very start, Superman was on the same level as, say, Mr Incredible. Tough but not invincible, strong but in the "lift a truck" sense rather than the "push the moon out the way" sense. He couldn't even fly, just leap over buildings. It wasn't until the Silver Age that the powers really got piled on (super-hypnosis, super-painting, etc).

And it's worth noting that you can tell good stories with Superman, though it is tough. The notion of someone who could rule the world but who doesn't because they prefer to live a relatively normal life and help people is compelling. And there have been interesting stories told about his iconic status in the world, as a symbol of fear (the villain of one big event was motivated by fear of where the simple existence of such powerful people could lead) or hope (by the same token, there's at least one character who applied their super-science skills to become a superhero themselves, after being saved by Superman). Indeed, one of the best-loved Superman moments doesn't involve winning fights or super-villains at all.

02XiiH5.jpg
So other than being a comic geek, what I'm trying to say is that a character being very powerful isn't automatically a bad thing if they're also an interesting person, don't overshadow other characters in the same story, and face appropriate challenges (which may have nothing to do with their actual powers).

I think a lot of writing overpowered characters has to do with youth. I know when I was younger I had a tendency to write characters that were defined more by their strengths than their flaws- it comes with power fantasies and the 'limitless potential' of youth. Many people at some point in their life believe they can achieve anything and it feels good to express that through a character.

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate flaws much more. Overcoming a flaw is more exciting than raw power. The biggest problem with superman isn't that his only 'physical' weakness is kryptonite, its that as a person he is nearly perfect. He puts the safety of others above his own, he is kind, generous, polite, etc. Basically you could make a list of good qualities and superman has all of them. Real people aren't like that. We have vices, we think too much or too little of ourselves.

When you're young, even if you're very intelligent and perceptive, it can be difficult to tease apart the intricacies of complicated personalities. To tell why someone is prideful in some situations and fearful in others. Its much easier to categorize people as 'generally good' or 'generally evil' even if a character lies firmly in a grey area. I think I've been compelled by 'grey area' characters for much longer than I've understood how to write them.

So, in short, overpowered characters come from the combination youthful exuberance and a general lack of experience. That is not to say someone young could not write a very deep, very complicated character- life experience is subjective. But it is less likely.

I'm not familiar with super heroes but I think people god mode because they want things to go one way and this is easier than discuss. Good bye, god modders ;) I will only be fine with it if we discussed what is going to happen and he just has my character follow his, or whatever!

God-moding happens when RP creators don´t have the guts or desire to play GM and arbitrate fights. If fighting of any kind (physical, mental, diplomatic, economic, whatever) is to be a part of the RP, it does not matter how old and experienced the player is: he/she is going to want to win a couple times at least, and a myriad of issues can come up to steer the players into god-moding. The setting, power scaling as given by the GM and then interpreted by each player, character classes, their social status, etc. Whatever the reason, OP characters are guaranteed to crop up in freeform RPs where there is no GM, or the GM fails to step in and enforce the rules laid down.

The age and experience of the players is irrelevant. In a hobby where power fantasies are the norm, people trying to create capable, powerful characters is to be expected. If a roleplay creator does not want his/her story to devolve into one of those nonsensical fights straight out of a superhero movie, then that person better step up and accept the responsibility for making the RP run smoothly.

KatamariRoller said:
God-moding happens when RP creators don´t have the guts or desire to play GM and arbitrate fights. If fighting of any kind (physical, mental, diplomatic, economic, whatever) is to be a part of the RP, it does not matter how old and experienced the player is: he/she is going to want to win a couple times at least, and a myriad of issues can come up to steer the players into god-moding. The setting, power scaling as given by the GM and then interpreted by each player, character classes, their social status, etc. Whatever the reason, OP characters are guaranteed to crop up in freeform RPs where there is no GM, or the GM fails to step in and enforce the rules laid down.

The age and experience of the players is irrelevant. In a hobby where power fantasies are the norm, people trying to create capable, powerful characters is to be expected. If a roleplay creator does not want his/her story to devolve into one of those nonsensical fights straight out of a superhero movie, then that person better step up and accept the responsibility for making the RP run smoothly.

This. I've experienced players in open form RP like on forums and even D&D groups that suffer this sort of syndrome. Not everyone is as susceptible to it but I find even myself struggling with it from time to time and having to ensure I reel myself back. No one wants to be the weakest one in the room and without someone reeling them back 'by force' (GMs/DMs) then it will often devolve into nonsense as everyone tries to one up the current 'strongest'.

It's kinda like when kids play super heros on the playground.

"I have laser eyes"

"Yeah but I have a force field that stops laser eyes!"

"Oh yeah!? Well my laser eyes are super duper strong and can break through your force field!"

"You missed me though because I have super speed and dodged it!"

And so on.

Back
Top Bottom