On Flames and Rivers (Malin and Luana_Blodwyn)

Lynka nodded and turned the course a little more westward. The sooner they got to land the better off they would be. She was wondering whether it was better to simply ride the canoe along the shores and stop on land at night or carry the canoe across the land. Bending took more energy and she might need more rest than just a single night but pushing the canoe with bending. Walking would take longer and she wasn't certain, even between the two of them, they could carry the canoe all day. He thought process was interrupted when Tseng continued on. Her eyebrows raised in surprise when he said they were believed to be haunted. At first it wanted to make her laugh. Big bad fire bender is scared of some islands. The humor turned sour very quickly though. "You do realize it is the fault of firebenders if it is haunted, right?" She said with a small frown. "I believe in ghosts and spirits but I highly doubt it's haunted. Even if they were mercilessly slaughtered, the air nomads are a peaceful people." She paused in thought for a second and gave a small shrug. "Guess if it is haunted and the spirits are vengeful Nuknuk and I will be safe. Maybe you should just sleep in the canoe." This time she couldn't help but laugh a little.

So onward they traveled, ever west. The sun rose to its peak then slowly began to descend. Just when the bright circle of sun began to sink into the distant waters they could see land at a distance. Lynka was already low on energy at the moment but she gave a final spurt to steer them to the shore so they could make camp before sunset.

The canoe touched the rocky shore just as twilight was dawning. She hopped out and Nuknuk followed. The canoe was pulled ashore and Lynka gave a stretch. It was summer time and still warm, but the night would be a little chill. She removed her park, wearing a still traditional water tribe outfit of soft blue material as an outer long tunic and a white undershirt. She set her parka down and unloaded some supplies. Two sleeping bags and a little more of their food stores. "Maybe we could stay here for a little," she said with a heavy, exhausted sigh. She kept a hand on Nuknuk to keep herself steady. "It might be quicker if we follow the shoreline in the canoe." A wave of exhaustion came over her and she gave a wide yawn. "Don't suppose you would mind making up a fire...I'm kind of exhausted..."

(Sorry this took so long ^_^; Working weekend...sucks balls)

Tseng made a low growling noise in the back of his throat when Lynka brought up the genocide of the air nomads. It was before his time, but in the schools that had always been the one thing that hadn't sat right with him. The air nomads had been hit with a surprise attack, from what he had been told it had been an ambush on their temples overwhelming there military with surprise. but then... why was the genocide necessary? If the old fire benders had killed the avatar as a baby then he would have come back as a water bender, yet for the last 100 years there had been no avatar. Sozin had put an end to the cycle, he knew why it was necessary, but the story had never sat well with Tseng.

"It was before my time. In school we were told that it was necessary to break the cycle, that the avatar would only hold back our progress, but... The avatar was one of us wasn't he? He was a traitor as Roku yes, but... he was a fire bender just as much as he was an air bender. We've always been told to honor our kin, and if that's true... How could we have caused all this to get at one of our own?" His thought was rather selfish, thinking of the avatar as a member of his nation, as well as everyone else. Even when he had learned it in school it hadn't sat well with him, and past that it was an oxymoron. He never questioned it openly, but at the same time now that he was away from his nation... He could let out a thought or two even if they were on the verge of something treacherous.

"Yeah i'll get the fire." He said lightly, getting up he walked away from the beaches of the island and towards the more wooded area. He stripped off the heavier parts of his clothing as Lynka had done, but remained in the water tribe blues. The lighter shirt allowed for air to pass freely and he gave a thankful sigh for it. Still as he walked his yellow eyes practically glowed in the fading light of the sun. He felt nervous. This was the one place fire benders didn't go. These islands were off limits for one reason or another, and everyone in the southern raiders had heard the ghost stories about it. Walking he was keeping his eyes peeled for angry spirits, or old war traps, but all he could see was just dark woods and the last hour or so of day light.

Returning back to Lynka he dropped a bunch of fire wood, and started digging in the sand. Once he had the fire pit he created a teepee with the fire wood, stacking the kindling in the middle, leaning in lightly he breathed a low hot breath, catching the kindling as he bended the heat from his lungs, and then watched as the rest of the fire went up. Leaning back and away from the flame he sighed looking out to the tall trees, and the mountain islands the air benders had once called home. He enjoyed the feeling of sand under his hands rather then snow.

"Is this your first time away from the tundra?" He asked lightly. He hated the ice and snow that the southern raiders had to deal with, and even this far north in the midst of summer the difference was amazing. His eyes kept straying towards the woods, he could feel a warm breeze, and yet every time the trees rustled he visibly shivered. Maybe the old spirit's and haunting stories off these islands were getting to him, but at the same time he was slightly shaken. He wanted a topic that wasn't about the air nomads. He wanted to forget that he was sitting in the one place in the world that had always seemed wrong to him. The southern water tribe had been and looked down right primitive, the earth kingdom they slung rocks for a living how advanced could they be? but the air nomads... He shook his head just wanting to move on as quickly as possible from this place.

Lynka was sitting on her sleeping bag as Tseng disappeared into the sparse woods to gather fire wood. She had no reason to fear this place. It was not her people who had ambushed the air nomads and destroyed them all. If the avatar had been killed why were they not reborn as a water bender? Could the cycle really have been broken? But how? It wasn't possible that firebenders knew how to break they cycle like that. Why else would they avoid air temple island and still hunt air benders? She gave a small sigh as Nuknuk circled a couple of times and settled down beside her. Then Tseng returned with the fire wood and got a comfortably warm, if a bit smokey from wet wood, fire going. Lynka held her hands out to the warmth of the flame.

The firebender broke the silence and Lynka glanced up at him. After a little she gave a small nod. "There was no reason to really leave. Family is important to water benders. It is almost unheard of for one to leave. My sister's best friend, Kanna, was born in the northern tribe. Hama says that Kanna was escaping an arranged marriage. Up north women are not permitted to water bend...well not with combat." Lynka gave a small scowl at the flames. "In my tribe all benders learn the art. In the north women are only permitted to learn to heal. It is ridiculous...and arranged marriages? I can understand why she came south. Still, it took a lot of courage to leave her entire family."

After a moment she looked up at Tseng. Her look was grudging but she gave a small snort. "I guess you have some kind of courage too. You are betraying your people to help me. Not really because you want to or because you know you are in the wrong. At least you still have some honor in you. Probably not many firebenders can say they actually have honor."

Tseng let out a long sigh he was tense, that much was obvious, but looking up at the tall mountains he felt awkward, and slightly vulnerable in this place. Spirits were not something he wanted to deal with, and yet these temples always had such a vast collection of spiritual energy. He let out a long breath. As he turned and listened to Lynka's story. He could understand the idea behind arranged marriages. In the fire nation they had a class system, and if you wanted to move up or down in those classes you married up or down. That said however most marriages in the fire nation were for love, it was one of the few things the nation didn't utilize for the betterment of it's people.

"Sounds rough." He said lightly nodding his head. He nodded hearing about her sister and family how that was a valued part of her life, and understood a little bit more as to why this was so important to her. He still didn't agree with what she was trying to accomplish, but then she had to bring up the honor word. Looking at the fire he shook his head. "Marriage is very important to the fire nation, but we don't arrange it. Rather it's one of the few celebrations we are given. You haven't been to a wedding until you witnessed a fire nation wedding. Entire islands celebrate community, and people you would never even know all join together, and if the wedding is royal.." His eyes glazed over happily for a moment in thought. "You would never have even seen as much meat, and drink in your life."

"In truth, probably not." He said lightly. The honor system was complicated, and most people didn't even follow the basic rules. "It's said that there are over a hundred ways to offend a host or guest without ever realizing it in the fire nation. The rules for maintaining and using honor are complex, and it's never as simple as the little tasks or even big tasks. More so there is personal honor, and societies definition of it. It's a touchy subject for most, and in truth."

Tseng leaned back looking around for a moment. It was like he was expecting some commanding officer to overhear what he was about to say. Or worse he was checking that what he was about to say wasn't going to offend her. Looking at the ground he gave a long heavy sigh. "I've seen the prisons, not just the ones for water benders, there is a flotilla platform where they keep earth benders... but the worst one is... boiling rock. The prison for Fire benders, traitors and war criminals all. In the end I'm playing a dangerous game with bringing you to the fire nation. Cause if you think what they do to the water benders is in human... You haven't seen anything yet... what they would do to me for even having this conversation is far... far worse."

Lynka looked over at Tseng as he mentioned the fire nation prisons. Simply having this conversation could get him thrown into jail? They didn't take kindly to any sort of betrayal apparently. Truthfully betrayal was one of the worst crimes, but they were just talking. It didn't mean he was doing anything wrong. However, sneaking her into the fire nation would certainly be ground for being thrown into jail. Her stomach tied into a knot at the thought. If they were caught both would be sent to prison. Him to this boiling rock and her to where all of the water benders went. The thought made her shiver. "What we are planning is even worse." She said after a little bit. "But like we agreed, we part ways as soon as you get me to the fire nation. Fundamentally I don't like you very much but...I appreciate you helping me to free my friends and family." It was probably the nicest thing she could muster to say to him.

The water tribe girl leaned back against her polar dog and stared up at the stars. Her mind was whirling with just how she would even get to the prison. Blending in would be first, she would have to find fire nation clothing. Probably have to steal it. Then she would have to find out where the prison was. Just how she would be able to do that was sort of a mystery. Lynka heaved a heavy sigh and rolled onto her side. "Let's get some sleep. I don't think we need to worry about anyone finding us here." With another sigh she settled down to rest.

In the morning the campfire they had made was burning coals. Lynka woke with a wide yawn and stretched out. Slowly she got to her feet, brushing the sad from her clothing. "I thought sand would be more comfortable to sleep on," she complain slightly as she cracked her back. The day was bright, calm and pleasantly warm. She kicked sand over the smoldering embers for good measure and rifled in her pack for some breakfast for the three of them. Nuknuk barked happily as she was doled out some dried meat, Lynka handed some to Tseng as well. Once their breakfast was done she led Nuknuk into the canoe and once all were seated she washed in the tide with bending to send them back out. Keeping the shoreline to their left she began bending the water under them to propel them far quicker than if they used paddles.

"So where to? What will be hit if we follow these islands?"

Tseng turned as she told him to go to sleep. Putting his back to her as he kept his yellow eyes on the fire. The return to the fire nation would land them in jail, but it didn't have too. If he planned things out well enough he could betray Lynka, send her off to a water bending prison, and then wipe his hands clean of her. He could go back to his life in the southern raiders, and no one would have to be the wiser. Maybe he would even get a chance too transfer out. The southern raiders were an elite group yes, but there were other groups that operated in warmer climates around the world. He was sure he could find something more fitting. He looked down tat the fire, as she said that she appreciated his help. Something about the way it was said was a light punch to his gut. Probably because he could tell that the gratitude was for the most part genuine.

Sleeping on the island did not come easy. In fact he hardly felt like he slept at all, he remembered dozing off a little while after Lynka but something about the energy of this place made him restless he couldn't lay still and he tossed and turned for hours. by the time the sun was back, Tseng did not feel his energy renewed, rather he had dark circles under his eyes yawning he stretched, and felt his body popped and cracked. He sighed feeling the sun on his skin, but it lacked the rejuvenation and strength that the sun normally gave him. "Sand is never as comfortable as you would think."

Taking some of the food he pulled pieces of the dried meat, and chewed on it. "If we keep going along the islands, we hit Kyoshi island. It's a small mud ball that holds no real value to anyone. So they have been kept out of the war." Tseng said quietly as he pulled apart the meat, he gave a long yawn. trying to eat the food, but it was salted, dry, and frankly not all that great of a taste. even as he pulled it apart he gagged slightly. "I can't believe you people actually eat this. Some how you have actually made me miss the military food."

Getting into the boat he packed up his bedroll, and cleaned himself up slightly as he felt her bending the water under them. Watching her work her bending he gave a loud yawn, still feeling tired. "Maybe I should have slept in the boat." He said lightly. "Doesn't all that water bending make you tired?"

Lynka rolled her eyes at his complaints on the food. "Oh do please excuse me. I didn't realize our rations were not to your liking. You are more than welcome to fish on your own as we travel." With a small snort she got into the boat and they were off again. At his question she glanced behind her for a moment then looked back forward. "As a matter of fact, yes it does. This would be easier if we could travel at night and sleep in the day but then we wouldn't be able to see where we were going."

The trip past the air nomad islands went on in the same manner. It was faster for her to just bend the water to a current rather than them paddle the canoe, especially with Nuknuk in the canoe with them. The journey took the better part of a week to make as the small canoe couldn't make the same time as a coal powered ship, and they had to stop at night to sleep. On the sixth day, however, they had a proper bearing and straight ahead of them was a great mass of land. The islands were small and one could see the ends of the shoreline. This landmass, however, stretched as far as the distant horizons. Lynka sighed in relief as she steered the canoe right onto the shore.

Once all of their belongings were out she looked to the canoe and gave a small sigh. "I think you had best burn it. If anyone is even attempting to track us this would be an obvious trace."

Tseng stretched being out on land. It had taken them a long time to reach the earth kingdom, but sure enough the journey had been long worth the wait. From here it was just about finding a fire bender colony and then he was home free. He could leave her in some water bender prison, and he would be free of her for life. Sadly however they had several earth bender colonies along the way. Looking around at the boat he shook his head. "I'm not gonna burn it out here in the open. We don't know who or what is around us."

If he went about using his fire bending in the opening, and someone were to see him do it, then he would end up in as much trouble as her if she was to use her water bending. For now they had to pose as non benders. Though she was right, the people of the water tribe already knew he was a fire bender, worse they knew he had kidnapped Lynka, or had some how convinced Lynka to come with him. The boat was going to be a problem if they left it out in the open, and if an enemy army found it there would be even more questions. Water benders were rare in the earth kingdom, a water bending ship would raise alarms and questions, not to mention what would happen if the fire nation found a water ship. His former comerades in arms would have to scower the land to find them.

Grabbing the edge of the boat as well as one of the bags that Lynka had made he started to pull it more in land. "Help me get it under cover, I'll burn it once we have it away from the open shores." He said lightly pulling it away from the shore, the drag marks would be a little odd, but they would be washed away by the tide eventually. For now he was more worried about running into enemy soldiers. The earth kingdom was a warzone, it was dangerous to travel it, and he wasn't exactly familiar with the land.

Lynka watched him as he tried to drag the canoe. Her eyebrows raised a little bit as she looked at the scrapes it was forming in the sand. The tides would wash those away soon enough. She looked around at the empty shore line. There was no one around. There were at least some rocky outcroppings that could hide it. "Stop," she said with an annoyed sigh. She shoved the bags into his arms and grabbed the canoe at the sides. The canoes were sturdy but light. It was easy to lift one up and carry it. Then it wouldn't leave drag marks. She looked around for a good spot. "Over there," she said with a nod and started to walk towards an outcropping. It had a small indent of sand, surrounded by rock. It would provide cover enough and the canoe could sit on the sand.

She brought it over and dropped it onto the sand. "Make sure it doesn't scorch the rocks. Then it will be obvious that there were fire benders in the area," she said as she took a bag from him.

Tseng let out a low slight judgmental growl as he suddenly had bags thrust into his chest. Walking with their supplies he has half tempted to have some kind of accident where he ignited the food. When she found a good spot he followed silently mocking her as she tried to lecture him. When she told him how to use his fire however he paused for a moment rolling his eyes. He got slightly offended by her comment, he knew that control was an issue for some fire benders he often thought himself better then most. He was a member of the southern raiders which were an elite group of fire benders in their own right. Controlling his fire there for was an easy task. "I'm pretty sure they would get that impression the moment they saw ashes."

"Don't scorch the rocks please woman I am a master fire bender. Step back and watch a true bending art for once." Tseng took a long breath before lighting up the canoe. Using a hand motion to help spread the flame along and get rid of the boat. What he didn't count on was the smoke. Because the canoe was treated against water and the fact that it was wet, the wood sputtered a lot more smoke then he was expecting. He coughed heavily inhaling the smoke which threw out his breathing and caused a flare up of fire, that not only scorched the rocks around the canoe but caused even more smoke.

Tseng coughed heavily stepping away from the boat. "W-ater.." He said reaching out to Lynka for the drinking water she carried. His yellow eyes were reddened from the smoke. He was half tempted to jump back into the ocean, but that wouldn't help his lungs. Nor would it help the fact that he looked like an idiot for not standing far enough away from the canoe when he lit it on fire.

Back
Top Bottom