Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Iron kingdoms: the Witchfire

Inertia

Planetoid
I was planning on running a campaign in the steampunk/fantasy setting of the iron kingdom based on their published adventure the witchfire.

It is a setting that has been close to my heart for a while now and after trying to run it with a bunch of people, which eventually lost steam I figured i went through it and trying it over a thing like this could be fun.

It could be a few things depending on how much interest i get or how much.
It could be a 1v1 with a bit more smut thrown in there or it could be with a few more people and run it more as a regular adventure, which could exclude smut or that could happen ofscreen between the players/between a player and the gm.
It could be fast and loose or it could with some more strict stats/combat.

It is orginally based on a adjusted version of d&d 3.5, the the guys behind the iron kingdom have recently released it's own rpg system. Which i am interested in trying, i think it has some limitations but i also like some stuff that they do so.

So I am not sure what more to add, i guess i'll post this and see if i get some reaction or some questions and i'll see from there.

Just the setting or the new system?

Had any preferences on how to handle it, more of a solo thing,group, smut vs no smut.

Feel free to hit me up in pms if you want to ask or discuss something.

The new system is fairly similar to what they use in Warmachine/Horde, 2d6 mechanic. Pretty fun from what I've done, played as a group of trollkin.

I've not read through the adventure path, have it in pdf somewhere; but I'd be interested in seeing what gets presented in the end.

Being based on Warmachine is what drew me to the system, after getting to knwo the setting through it.

I am not sure how combat would be resolved. There could be a workaround, normally i would suggest something like vassal for that, but that would defeat the point of doing it over a forum.

Inertia said:
I was planning on running a campaign in the steampunk/fantasy setting of the iron kingdom based on their published adventure the witchfire.

It is a setting that has been close to my heart for a while now and after trying to run it with a bunch of people, which eventually lost steam I figured i went through it and trying it over a thing like this could be fun.

It could be a few things depending on how much interest i get or how much.
It could be a 1v1 with a bit more smut thrown in there or it could be with a few more people and run it more as a regular adventure, which could exclude smut or that could happen ofscreen between the players/between a player and the gm.

It is orginally based on a adjusted version of d&d 3.5, the the guys behind the iron kingdom have recently released it's own rpg system. Which i am interested in trying, i think it has some limitations but i also like some stuff that they do so.

So I am not sure what more to add, i guess i'll post this and see if i get some reaction or some questions and i'll see from there.

sounds interesting - I dont really knwo any of the systems, but I would like to try playing one of these system fantasies here :)

Natalia

Inertia said:

I'd be interested in playing.

1v1 or with a group. smut or no smut during play or off-screen or pm, it doesn't matter to me, especially if it's going to be on a forum.

On a forum, fast and loose would probably be a better play style. The new system is fine - I've read the new book for IK (I own the book), but never used the new system.

Thanatos said:
On a forum, fast and loose would probably be a better play style. The new system is fine - I've read the new book for IK (I own the book), but never used the new system.

That is probably the case, although if there isn't too much combat i could try and recreate it and post some images but that might be a bit cumbersome. (and end up missinterpreting where people wanted to move so...)

It is best if you have the books, but even if you don't, with the way characters are created you could probably create i fun and viable character with just combining 2 fun archtypes.
I can also help with as much as possible, and some stuff from the second book and maybe add some stuff from the 3.5 version.

And any combination could work really, probably won't be running a ton of these though.

Inertia said:
That is probably the case, although if there isn't too much combat i could try and recreate it and post some images but that might be a bit cumbersome. (and end up missinterpreting where people wanted to move so...)

I haven't done too many forum games really. But in one of the more successful ones I had, combat went something like this:

DM explained what the party saw, how enemies they could see were armed, what people with higher perceptions noticed (which were encased in spoiler tags addressed to those people) and then how the enemies would generally attack.

Every party member approximately described how they would respond to an attack and add in any exceptions, such as the healer saying they would adjust to assist wounded players before resuming attacks, etc. Only people who were noted for the spoiler information could respond to that content.

Then the DM would describe how the combat went down. The DM would do the combat himself and give us the results. So you had the trust the DM wouldn't have it out for you lol. It worked really well though.

It is best if you have the books, but even if you don't, with the way characters are created you could probably create i fun and viable character with just combining 2 fun archtypes.

Would be easy enough to post races and classes with some brief descriptions and overview stuff like feats and such for people who don't have the material. The players could come up with the fluff for their characters, the DM could handle the technical building of the character.

I can also help with as much as possible, and some stuff from the second book and maybe add some stuff from the 3.5 version.

And any combination could work really, probably won't be running a ton of these though.

Seems like it might be fairly easy to convert the crunchy bits as necessary, but with a fast/loose style I'd say Rule-Of-Thumbing-It would probably work well enough for most stuff.

That could work for combat, not sure how well that would go but i could give it a shot.
Would all the rolling be on the DM's side or would they post some stuff? You might feel really disconnected from rolls if you don't.

My biggest concern for adding stuff from the older system is basicly gold value. There are a few fun fluffy things in the old one that relate to the universe that are not handeled as elaborately in the new one. (Like healing, there is a small penalty or risk for it but that is only for one healing spell.)

In the end, we mostly let the DM roll stuff, but for awhile we'd post 5-10 D20 rolls at the top of our posts. The DM would either pick randomly or use them in order. We did have one guy that always insisted on his rolls in his posts.

Yeah, adding stuff from another system can be a bit tricky with any system. it wouldn't be too difficult to House Rule such things though. I'd add tables of stuff I wanted in games with fixed prices/modified abilities. As long as you don't go overboard, it's not too bad.

Same for healing. I took an idea out of 3.5 with the healing chits, where you'd break them (1 use) for a set amount of healing that had been inscribed in them. Free action, no AoO. Expensive, but very helpful in a rough situation.

Always wanted to try something like this, but it seems im very unprepared for these games. If someone would like to help out a newbie, it would be appreciated. If not, that's fine.

Well stuff like the dice rolling and what gets used could be decided/voted on with whoever joins.

sirix said:
Always wanted to try something like this, but it seems im very unprepared for these games. If someone would like to help out a newbie, it would be appreciated. If not, that's fine.

It might not be that hard as you expect, the new system is very easy i think, and how they handle everything quite a few things are more intuitive then in other roleplaying things. (At least my opinion when it comes to combat, all the other stuff there aren't as many rules to guide them but that is just up to the group.)

Inertia said:
It might not be that hard as you expect, the new system is very easy i think, and how they handle everything quite a few things are more intuitive then in other roleplaying things. (At least my opinion when it comes to combat, all the other stuff there aren't as many rules to guide them but that is just up to the group.)

If I thought it would be hard I would be giving it a try regardless. My problem is I don't have any of the material to see what any of you are really talking about, nor anyway to acquire them since I'm not working at the moment and have no money to spare.

Quickstart rules/scenario/premade chars

This is a little thing they cooked up to promote the system. This might be helpfull. Although that is mostly how the combat works which might not be used to the full extend seeing as this is over the forum and it is heavily movement based.
Not sure what might be the best or what most of you would want. (but we can experiment and try different encounters in different ways. It might also not be the most combat heavy thing, we'll see.)

This may just be dead in the water...But, if there is even a slight amount of interest I would like to tip my hat for it. I would really like to get a lot more familiar with the Iron Kingdoms as a setting so whatever story you want to tell I'm in.

As far as I know (Which is admittedly very, very little.) I think the Iron Kingdoms RPG book offers some guidelines to do combat without figures and all that, at least as far as the review I read stated.

While I would also not be opposed to buying the book itself, I wouldn't mind just having a breakdown of the various races, careers, and stuff as long as your cool with providing all of that stuff. Maybe through PM's for each person or something?

In any event, if this is still being considered, know that I would be up for it!

Back
Top Bottom