Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SUGGESTION: Unlimited Thread/Clutter Forum -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
So, seeing as the maximum number of active threads is only two - that's kind of a huge bummer for people like myself who are OCD when it comes to organization and like to have all their categories/types of roleplays each on their own independent thread.

Of course, I completely understand that having one person with a bunch of threads is cluttering, as well as it is unfair / can overshadow other thread/request makers.

BUT - what about creating an entirely independent FORUM, that is designed SPECIFICALLY for clutter/unlimited thread creation? So, for people like myself, we can actually create a thread for each topic we desire (example, one thread of Fantasy, one for Modern, one for Fan-Fic, etc...) but posted solely on this unlimited forum.

SO, people can have their main request-thread on the Request Thread forum, but within that thread, they can URL-link their topics/categories threads to the Unlimited/Clutter Forum?

Whaddayathink?

Um, that's a huge load on the server and you're given two threads PER request section, which is actually a lot. Because shit tons of people would just make threads. Over. And over. And over.

The thing I would suggest is keeping a few documents on your computer and using copy/paste to keep your threads organized.

Or you can make each post in your thread be about one specific kind of RP.

Just my suggestions.

Hahvoc The Decepticon said:
Um, that's a huge load on the server and you're given two threads PER request section, which is actually a lot. Because shit tons of people would just make threads. Over. And over. And over.

The thing I would suggest is keeping a few documents on your computer and using copy/paste to keep your threads organized.

Or you can make each post in your thread be about one specific kind of RP.

Just my suggestions.

I originate, long ago, from Gaia, where there's basically no official limit. In order to reduce stress on the server and thread-over-load, mods close threads that are inactive. Also, how it works on Gaia, is that you mark your thread as "closed" when you are finished with it, and a designated Mod who's sole job is to clean-up the forums, will search for "closed" threads and manually delete them. It's like a specific mod who does it.

Obviously, Gaia Online is a much larger website and company. So, of course, I understand the worry for overload, but I think it's manageable. If there are a set of rules established, that when a thread is "closed" or "dead" it needs to be terminated by a Mod. So, whoever is closing a thread, would contact the designated delete-Mod and that Mod would then delete the thread; ultimately reducing the load.

Right, but I'm not going to post in Requests by Males of Uncategorized Others since I identify as a female.
xD

Also, I'm never craving solely one kind of RP. I like many things. And it's hard to advertise those things in a short title, as well as cramming them all in single thread, or two. It's also a lot of overload to those browsing. The fact that they have to fish for the material they're interested, rather than knowing what's in the thread based on the title.

It's just a suggestion. I think it would give a lot more freedom and also encourage more roleplay topics. Maybe when the website is bigger, more of a budget, more roleplays and members, etc...

Also, there's an image cap of 12 visual images per post. I don't quite understand that, either, but I'm assuming it's for the same overload reasons?

It's pretty easy to put a catchy title - that's what people look for. And then the content.

Gaia is also run by a corporation after it was sold by Lanzer and filled with advertisements and 12 year olds.

My threads are filled with a million different things, it just depends on how you organize them.

The talk of more request threads has been brought up before, it's just not possible or exactly necessary.

Hahvoc The Decepticon said:
It's pretty easy to put a catchy title - that's what people look for. And then the content.

Gaia is also run by a corporation after it was sold by Lanzer and filled with advertisements and 12 year olds.

My threads are filled with a million different things, it just depends on how you organize them.

The talk of more request threads has been brought up before, it's just not possible or exactly necessary.

Of course, I understand, and I agree with how it is now. It's why I left. And of course, as I grew older, my roleplays took a more... adult direction.

But nevertheless, I think it would be beneficial to have a larger than two limit. At least three, personally. Three would be delightful for me.

Maybe in the near-future, if the website becomes more popular, there can be more room for threads.

I think this is a pretty decent idea. I'm not sure of all of the specifics, but wasn't one of the benefits of the big server move to allow higher traffic on the site? Would it even be considerably different than if the majority of the active members actually posted frequently? I'm not exactly sure how it would strain the server at all. Then again, I know nothing of the servers capabilities. If you could explain it to me, that would be great.

It could easily be managed by utilizing the auto-pruning tools that the administration panel should have. Any threads that are older than a set amount of time, without any new posts, could be deleted. A sticky post could easily warn people. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I'm not sure how this isn't "possible". A more through explanation would really benefit anyone else who thinks this is a decent idea, or is just curious as to the specifics of why this suggestion has been denied.

I'm going to refer to Gaia Online again, which I'm sure is terribly annoying because it's juvenile compared to BM.
Regardless, Gaia Online also has this auto-deletion program for threads.
Although, the auto-deletion only deletes threads relating to users who have been deemed permanently inactive.
So, that usually takes two years, though I'm sure it can be set to delete threads much earlier.
I think any thread that hasn't been posted in more than a month should be deleted. At least three months.
I'm sure there are plenty of threads that are currently inactive and could be deleted to lighten the server - if that's the concern.

At this time, any post/thread deletions are done manually. There is no 'auto' anything. If there was..... I'd be a much happier girl.

Mitsu - You'd have to ask Vek about server limitations.

I, for one, as someone who has helped manage a good portion of this site, wouldn't want a disruptive section dedicated to an insane amount of request threads since I doubt people would continue to use the actual request thread sections if they had a chance to do as many as they wanted.

There's also pruning the section, looking through threads to see who's breaking the rules, who's posting NSFW pictures but hasn't labeled their thread, who's posting for things offsite that aren't allowed on BMR, etc.

To be honest, and this is my opinion, in comparison to other sites, we give a lot of leeway with request threads. I know, for a fact, that Elliquiy allows one? And you are only allowed to bump it once a month. And if you do multiple edits in a week, you have to inform staff, if I remember correctly.

If there was an auto-system, I wouldn't really give a damn, but there isn't.

I do not like the idea of automatic deletion or deletion of threads at all. That would really suck major balls, if I had a request thread that I spent a lot of time on, went off to play role-plays and let it sit, and then when they die, I come back a month or two later and can't find my thread because it was deleted due to "inactivity". I was on a site a while back and they began toying with "pruning" and auto settings for the forum and several people, myself included, lost a bunch of old threads. They were trying to do something else, if I recall, but they accidentally destroyed actual role-play threads. If you have a system like you already have now, where you do not MESSAGE people to let them know when you're closing their request threads(due to how many questions in this section pop up of "Hey, why was my thread closed?" I'd venture a guess that your mods just go around closing threads without actually informing the users of why, when you actually do it), then you're going to have a lot of upset and confused and alienated people when you start actually deleting things. I think this is something you should get more input on, if you ever find out how or actually start considering it seriously. Because, I for one, do not want to see my stuff start randomly disappearing because of some frivolous factors decided by other people trying to make room for more frivolous threads when the current system works fine and plenty of people manage just fine with 2 threads.

Rudolph Quin said:
I do not like the idea of automatic deletion or deletion of threads at all. That would really suck major balls, if I had a request thread that I spent a lot of time on, went off to play role-plays and let it sit, and then when they die, I come back a month or two later and can't find my thread because it was deleted due to "inactivity". I was on a site a while back and they began toying with "pruning" and auto settings for the forum and several people, myself included, lost a bunch of old threads. They were trying to do something else, if I recall, but they accidentally destroyed actual role-play threads. If you have a system like you already have now, where you do not MESSAGE people to let them know when you're closing their request threads(due to how many questions in this section pop up of "Hey, why was my thread closed?" I'd venture a guess that your mods just go around closing threads without actually informing the users of why, when you actually do it), then you're going to have a lot of upset and confused and alienated people when you start actually deleting things. I think this is something you should get more input on, if you ever find out how or actually start considering it seriously. Because, I for one, do not want to see my stuff start randomly disappearing because of some frivolous factors decided by other people trying to make room for more frivolous threads when the current system works fine and plenty of people manage just fine with 2 threads.

It does not have to delete after one month of inactivity.
Inactivity set-date can be programmed for any amount of days.
I think the best would be to have threads deleted that are inactive for more than 3-6 months.

I'm sure there are hundreds of threads on BM that have been inactive for WELL over that.

Plus, if someone plans on keeping their thread inactive for more than 6 months, I would suggest that they would save the thread coding and formatting on a Word or equivalent document.

I, for one, save all of my threads on Open Office to ensure if any time I accidentally delete something, or close a window while editing, or even thread deletion, I will have my material saved on my computer.

I really don't see the auto-deletion as that big of a deal.
It's smart for the server and keeps the website clean.

darkangel76 said:
At this time, any post/thread deletions are done manually. There is no 'auto' anything. If there was..... I'd be a much happier girl.

I realize that. Haha.
But I suppose part of my suggestion is to incorporate auto-deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom