Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Feasting, Drinking & Lustful Pleasures

This game will use the free on-line Basic Fantasy RPG Rules and focus on the good days of high adventure where characters could have fun names and you beat up on monsters so you can party.

The rules are like old school DnD with no alignments your assumed to be not evil, no feats or proficiencies ... you get your race and class features.

Magic will be lower magic but your clerics and magic-users will get magic just its not at all common as in alchemists with potions for sale yes, buy a magic sword hard over a basic one but there will be lots of brothels and other places to piss away your wealth if you want.

And expect a bit silly I love the 1970's and 1980's low budget fantasy movie genre.

So anyone interested the game rules and supplements for this fan based rpg is at: Basic Fantasy RPG: Make Mine Basic!

Looking for four players but another one would be good over that.

Actually in most parts it looks very similar to D&D 2nd edition. :)

Are you going to stick to the proposed character creation scheme - roll 3d6 six times in order of the attributes - or rather another variant potentially leading to more heroic results? :)

Cherubian said:
Actually in most parts it looks very similar to D&D 2nd edition. :)

Are you going to stick to the proposed character creation scheme - roll 3d6 six times in order of the attributes - or rather another variant potentially leading to more heroic results? :)

4d6 (place where you like) but you get if you want before rolling an automatic 14 Constitution and 18 on one ability of your choice OR roll them all and get a extra 50gp and a nice magical item of my choice.

No character generation yet but I will be doing it that way. But we will start at 1st Level and options rules will be used all available on the site. Up front though I'm pulling the magic-user replacing it with the Sorcerer class magic in my game is in the blood and bones but you can use Charisma or Intelligence for the main ability. Charisma its your born with it and Intelligence used arcane means to imbue your body with magic. There is a real difference Charisma ones get a +1 to all saving throws being charmed and Intelligence ones can roll to understand arcane and learned subjects (you see a wall with a dead language has a good chance to read it the other one would go - duh).

I could be interested, never played Basic Fantasy; but I love the retro/old school D&D games. Except ascending armour, that I like.

That is why I like the game, simple and fun. Or not. Depending on the GM and I favor kind of simple.

Sounds good so far, I might actually be interested. Although the system also has some of the flaws attached to the retro feel, like there being no reason for any fighter type NOT to wear plate mail. :)

By the way, is there a good implementation for the Monk class available for Basic Fantasy? I have found the Adept of the Great Way, but that one is almost as bad as the 1st edition AD&D Monk. I.e. it scales horribly and takes away all the fun of gathering loot - which is one of the key retro features. :)

Well it's not always practical to wear plate armour, for purposes of encumbrance or depending upon the situation. Like a high society ball.

Now I've not really seen anything for the monk. There is this blog post. Labyrinth Lord Advance has a monk. Swords and Wizardry Complete also has one; but that costs money. If you want a look at it I could type it up.

I don't know how they compare to the AD&D version, or the Oriental Adventures one. Haven't done a side by side comparison.

On the risk of sounding overly picky, but both suggestions you linked to ... suck.
The Labyrinth Lord Advance version is the 1st edition AD&D one in all its miserable glory, and the blog post one is not even giving any AC bonuses whatsoever, actually encouraging the monk to wear armor. Meh...

The way I see it a Monk should be defined by the following:
- greatly encouraged by the rules to fight unarmed and unarmored
- lower hit points than a fighter but better AC and saving throws
- damage output should be roughly comparable to a fighter

I would definitely try to restrict the monk's ability to use magic items as little as possible, otherwise its class based AC increase and the like will have to be carefully balanced against the expected item progression of the rest of the group.

The way the Monk was handled in 3.5 seems liek a good starting point. However ...
The third point in the above list makes granting any extra attacks a bit iffy, as in Basic Fantasy a Fighter (as I understood it) will be limited to one attack per round for her entire career. I am also not sure how to work in increasing hand-to-hand damage in a way that allows the two classes to keep pace with each other.

I was never a monk player, so I can't claim to know the ends and outs of them. So let's build a better monk.

If there's an issue with granting multiple attacks then what could be done is rolling multiple die and taking the high roll. As for the damage, instead of increasing the dice size you could have it be exploding.

You can also open it up with better bonuses to grapple, for Basic Fantasy RPG you can remove the negative modifiers for brawling. Just ideas to start.

Cherubian said:
Sounds good so far, I might actually be interested. Although the system also has some of the flaws attached to the retro feel, like there being no reason for any fighter type NOT to wear plate mail. :)

By the way, is there a good implementation for the Monk class available for Basic Fantasy? I have found the Adept of the Great Way, but that one is almost as bad as the 1st edition AD&D Monk. I.e. it scales horribly and takes away all the fun of gathering loot - which is one of the key retro features. :)

Fighter Options ,Fighters and only Fighters, can specialize in a weapon and get over time more attacks its in the optional rules on the site.

I will note however this is not a complex game a dragon is tough but not the magic resistant force of doom in DnD 3.5 any mid level party with planning can beat one. It would hurt, be risky and a dragon will fight smart if mature.

Okay on classes I'm allowing: Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Sorcerer (Optional Class) and Thief (gets a D6 HD). Class optional rules will be used. And some house rules when I do the rules.

All will get background traits considered if your a fighter raised in the woodlands rangers sorts of skills are assumed, its an ability roll off the highest of Intelligence or Wisdom.

The combinations with Magic User use Sorcerer so it would be Combo Sorcerer/Thief (D6 HD) and Fighter/Sorcerer. Races must have access to both and not be Human Elf, Gnome and Half-Elf.

But invoking my amazing GM powers, feel its awesomeness, if you want to take a background traits rule for raised in some order of exotic fighters we can do a Martial Artist sort of Fighter. Unarmed Attacks will be "weapons" and you can do 1d4 Damage unarmed, if punching with Brass Knuckles or something it will do 1d6 and Kick for 1d6 once a round plus can take Fighter specialization in unarmed fighting. The trade off no armor over leather can be worn but I will add a perk every fifth level add +1 to your AC. Dexterity is added to AC naturally. And there will be two allowed other weapons the Iron Ring Staff does 1d8 Damage and Shuriken will do 1d4 Damage with a Range of a dagger you spent all your time mastering other skills. Unarmed fighting including with hand worn weapons is generally where you go to in a fight.

Where are the details for these other classes? And I'm not sure what I'd play, it'd depend upon the setting/starting location.

Website I noted the rules for under Downloads the rules for the Sorcerer and the Fighter and Thief Options are there. The fighter Martial Artist is a GM in house give you I will not allow an oriental style monk.

Classes other than the changes are the core rules.

Setting think something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvR113-7bM

Alright, so trashy swords and sorcery setting akin to Conan the Cimmerian. I'm for this.

And there's a lot of download materials on that page.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
Alright, so trashy swords and sorcery setting akin to Conan the Cimmerian. I'm for this.

And there's a lot of download materials on that page.

I will do a precise list when we get to the rules and character creation time.

Sorcerer is there, and the optional races half-races and gnomes specifically.

I'm going to be as broad as possible and yes there are adventures planned, just lots of fun with the adventures. After all you rescue hot slave women they will likely be grateful and for those inclined bit strapping men slaves.

This overall I'm keeping it lower complexity but for example fighters get specialization to let them have their cool thing - taking a weapon and going at it.

But I'm as flexible as possible.

The game starts at the fortified independent port of Swordhaven a hive of merchant activity and where mighty adventure is in the offing, or at least can score a decent paying job.

Death Frost Doom! Love that adventure.

And I'm not sure exactly what I want to play, I'm wandering between fighter and thief.

rubyslippers said:
Okay on classes I'm allowing: Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Sorcerer (Optional Class) and Thief (gets a D6 HD). Class optional rules will be used. And some house rules when I do the rules.

The combinations with Magic User use Sorcerer so it would be Combo Sorcerer/Thief (D6 HD) and Fighter/Sorcerer. Races must have access to both and not be Human Elf, Gnome and Half-Elf.
Sorry, I am not sure I understood the last sentence correctly. Did you just miss a full stop after 'human', or did you indeed ban the Fighter/Sorcerer class for Elves?

rubyslippers said:
But invoking my amazing GM powers, feel its awesomeness, if you want to take a background traits rule for raised in some order of exotic fighters we can do a Martial Artist sort of Fighter. Unarmed Attacks will be "weapons" and you can do 1d4 Damage unarmed, if punching with Brass Knuckles or something it will do 1d6 and Kick for 1d6 once a round plus can take Fighter specialization in unarmed fighting. The trade off no armor over leather can be worn but I will add a perk every fifth level add +1 to your AC. Dexterity is added to AC naturally. And there will be two allowed other weapons the Iron Ring Staff does 1d8 Damage and Shuriken will do 1d4 Damage with a Range of a dagger you spent all your time mastering other skills. Unarmed fighting including with hand worn weapons is generally where you go to in a fight.
I thank you for your valiant effort but it seems suitable Monk rules are just not feasible in this system. That is all right, I can cope. :)

Picking from the classical canon I would tend towards either Fighter or Fighter/Sorcerer. Plain fighters always carry the risk of becoming monotonous at higher levels, hence the plan of dual classing.

Cherubian said:
rubyslippers said:

Sorry, I am not sure I understood the last sentence correctly. Did you just miss a full stop after 'human', or did you indeed ban the Fighter/Sorcerer class for Elves?

rubyslippers said:
I thank you for your valiant effort but it seems suitable Monk rules are just not feasible in this system. That is all right, I can cope. :)

Picking from the classical canon I would tend towards either Fighter or Fighter/Sorcerer. Plain fighters always carry the risk of becoming monotonous at higher levels, hence the plan of dual classing.

Oh sorry Humans cannot combo class.

And a monk was tried by various players no one could get them to work, the same for bards - both make keeping it simple kind of hard.

You should note the XP needed to advance combine both classes but you can cast spells in any kind of armor.

rubyslippers said:
And a monk was tried by various players no one could get them to work, the same for bards - both make keeping it simple kind of hard.
I might try to give it a try, 3.5. went sort of in the right direction with the Monk. Assuming you would even deign to consider what I would come up with. :)

rubyslippers said:
You should note the XP needed to advance combine both classes but you can cast spells in any kind of armor.
I know. But the alternative is a plain fighter, which in the beginning likely is the stronger choice but ... might become boring later. Feel free to convince me otherwise, I would not mind. :)

Is there a particular reason you abandoned magic users in favor of sorcerers?

Oh, and lastly, will you use specialties next to combat options?

Cherubian said:
rubyslippers said:
I might try to give it a try, 3.5. went sort of in the right direction with the Monk. Assuming you would even deign to consider what I would come up with. :)

rubyslippers said:
I know. But the alternative is a plain fighter, which in the beginning likely is the stronger choice but ... might become boring later. Feel free to convince me otherwise, I would not mind. :)

Is there a particular reason you abandoned magic users in favor of sorcerers?

Oh, and lastly, will you use specialties next to combat options?

Magic Users are academic and use external magical force in my campaign world magic is internal in some form you are either born one or by using arcane means (skin sigils, potion treatments, sucking in power stone energy or a pact with some power) imbue yourself with magic. So Sorcerer fits a lot better.

As for other things like backgrounds its already in there I assume if you have a backstory and it has you "were raised by woods folk" you can do ranger skills on a ability role.

As for the other material it will be listed when the game rules and such are up.

Back
Top Bottom