Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

More DnD or PF please!

Welp, since supers didn't really pan out, how about some sweet fantasy adventuring ala Dungeons and Dragons (Preferably 3.5) or Pathfinder? I've got everything from elves to halflings half written up already, just waiting for a game to jump into! And a GM to run it, of course!

I specifically like games leaning somewhere between good and neutral, that rather than big world-ending threats, have more standard adventuring plots. Smaller quests and jobs, that maybe link up into an overarching campaign from time to time. Save a village from a werewolf, explore a recently unearthed dungeon, and so on and so forth.

I also have some ideas for a completely different thing inspired partially by World's Largest Dungeon that i'd be happy to bounce off a prospective GM if they need the inspiration, but I'd definately prefer the basic adventuring. Homebrew settings are cool, Faerun and Golarion are best. Feel free to weigh in/chat me up/do my bidding loyal minions~

Looks like we have a possible gm for 3.5, a possible player for pf, and a player that doesn't mind either. Batman, would you be adverse to running PF, or are you not familiar with it enough? I don't wanna just leave Nibbles high and dry here. :x

I haven't played it but should someone else want to run it I can learn the game.

Well, if Nibbles wants to run some Pathfinder (and doesn't mind my specific requests for tone/setting/whatever) I can be down with that. I do want to limit the group size to maybe 4 PCs though. Games larger than that make me unhappy, since assuming the party ends up with a DMPC or two here and there, it makes the group pretty huge.

I try to avoid DMPC's for the most part, I really don't like running them because of natural bias and favoritism.

But yea, I definitely would like to hear what ideas that you have. ^^ Shoot me a pm and We'll brainstorm.

I've got a number of ideas, all set in the same world, but themed differently. I figured I'd get a few PCs together and would allow them to vote.
The ideas are, very briefly, in order of starting level:

1. You lot have been drafted, probably against your will, and are now not only fighting against orcs with terrible dental hygiene,
but have found yourself stranded behind enemy lines after a rescue mission goes terribly wrong. (1)

2. A small-scale noir/infiltration campaign that takes place in a single megacity. Very stealth/skill oriented. Think AC or Dishonored. (3)

3. An aquatic campaign, complete with pirates, storms, merfolk, and use of the phrase "Release the kraken!". (E6)

4. Zombies? In MY medieval campaign? Medieval zombies! Think something like the Blight from DA:O or the White Walkers from GoT. (6)

5. A team of mercenaries, sent to secure a fortress in a location of strategic importance to the kingdom that hires them,
quickly realize why the fortress has been abandoned for generations. (8)

6. In what has been cataloged as an honest mistake, a cult of artificers seeking to use arcane means to cast divine magic
capture and enslave a god, and make the rest of them very, very angry. Angry enough, in fact, that they all conclude that
the mortal races need to be purged and recreated. You, as a mortal, aren't exactly jumping for joy. (15)

Sounds about right, and that way the people that can run the game will let you know if they are willing to.

Well, I did say I wanted more standard-issue adventuring, with smaller scale quests and such. I'll be more specific though . . . it's the whole traveling from town to town and dungeon to dungeon, helping out people and making money. Helping a farmer by taking out the goblins attacking his fields at night, hearing a rumor about a newly discovered ruin and exploring it for treasure, entering an arms tournament in the big city, rescuing a kidnapped noble from bandits, so on and so forth. And, of course, stopping off at the inn for a pint after a long bout of traveling!

While I do like some of Raze's ideas, they're all either really specific things that don't feel like they work with my idea of wandering adventurers, or they're the bigger high-level plots I said I did not want.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what I meant by standard adventuring?

What you're looking for, Latooni, is something I have attempted which is always destined to dissolve, for two reasons. The first is that people spend varying amounts of time "hanging out" in towns and without a time limit imposed by a devastating event or looming threat, this often leads to people dropping because they have nothing to do and "forgetting" to come back. The second is that without storyline progression the campaign becomes pointless very, very quickly and the party starts to splinter.

"Standard" adventuring is what I am talking about - what's in Fable and Dragon Age and Lord of the Rings. What you're looking for is called "sandbox" adventuring, because of its pointless, cyclic nature, and is more akin to how most people play GTA (which still HAS a story if you're interested - it just sucks).

Funny, because my experiences with PbP have been exactly the opposite. It's the big quests that people seem to drop out of, and end up with replacements being very way of joining, whereas as the constant stream of new things to do in a more relaxed game has seemed to keep people interested for a LOT longer. Still, if you believe otherwise then I guess I'll just have to keep looking for another GM then. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom