Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Looking for something to re-read. Hesitating between The Crimson petal and the white (Michel Faber), Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) and Blonde (Joyce Carol Oates). Yes I'm that eclectic you have no idea ;) Maybe I should just order new books.

Finished: Beso de la muerte (Gilles Vincent). It's bleak and dark like only the Spanish civil war can be, but it's a masterpiece.
Now onto: Kill the next one by Federico Axat. Intense psychological thriller. Love it.

Doomsday Clock, the 'sequel' to Watchmen.

The first issue was surprisingly good, but the best thing about it was the way the book accurately recreated Dave Gibbons' panel layout, which was such a fundamental part of Watchmen's aesthetics. Visually they've got the look down pat, but time will tell if the story pans out well enough.

Alex, a crazy, crazy thriller by Pierre Lemaître. There's a whole series but I only read that one. It was really worth recommending.

I really loved the 1950's thriller The Far Cry by Fredric Brown. Noir, blasé, hopeless and OMG that ending...

Normal, by Graeme Cameron.

A first-person, serial-killer novel by an English author, filled with classic British dry, sardonic humour, that I received as a gift for Christmas. It's different, written in a unique style and I'm loving it, particularly as in some parts I'm left guessing as to whether he intends for the reader to take the scene seriously. Or if, instead, he's deliberately satirising events and/or tropes in other mainstream fiction.

As the synopsis had a few parallels with a story I'm writing, I recommended it to my partner before I'd started it myself. Who ordered the book immediately, received the hard copy the next day - If only Australia Post was that efficient! - and finished it the day after, before me. Now I'm trying to avoid spoilers!

I finally finished reading Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh. It was a little slow to get moving; but once it did I'm happy to have done so. I'm intrigued by what comes next for the setting though hesitant as the books are designed to be read in any order and so I wouldn't expect much in the way of direct character development. Especially as it seems as the current batch of characters become more background for other characters to tell their stories.

Still I'm going to read the next one, eventually.

For still reading I have a huge stack and don't feel the need to delve into just how many books I flip through tell one ends up done.

I'm re-reading Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto to help get in the right mindset for a story I've been working on with someone.

I swore I'd never read it again. Was honestly one of the most heart wrenching stories I've put myself through.

McCaffrey! One of my all time faves, and one I am determined to have all the hardcopies of.

Currenty I'm reading Kay Hooper's Bishop Files/SCU/Haven books. Paranormal romance/crime novels. I'm on a binge. I'm trying to ecide what comes next.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Definitely a page turner, finished it in two days. Highly recommend for WW2 thriller enthusiasts.

Currently rereading Brisingr by Christopher Paolini... and The Complete Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (I’m in the middle of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe right now).

I love both series for different reasons. The Inheritance Cycle is a great high-fantasy series (four books, of which Brisingr is book three), and HGttG is a hilarious sci-fi comedy series. Both are great series if you get a chance to read them!

Just read Echoes of Azure as part of an indie authors bookclub I started over discord. It was really good, and I am already fiending for book 2.

Back
Top Bottom