Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Archiving PM RPs (How?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDarko

Moon
Hello BM! I suppose this is technically my introduction post. I haven't created my own post until now, but I joined a few days ago.

I'm into one PM roleplay already and before my PM box gets full I'd like to find a good way to archive the story of the roleplay for my own personal use. I want to be able to go back and read it later to see how my writing progresses as well as for fun. Do any of you have any good ways of doing this? I'd like to keep them under my account here privately somehow without taking up a bunch of PM space.

I could always copy them into something like Evernote, but I would just prefer not to have to do that.

Any ideas?

RyanDarko said:
Hello BM! I suppose this is technically my introduction post. I haven't created my own post until now, but I joined a few days ago.

I'm into one PM roleplay already and before my PM box gets full I'd like to find a good way to archive the story of the roleplay for my own personal use. I want to be able to go back and read it later to see how my writing progresses as well as for fun. Do any of you have any good ways of doing this? I'd like to keep them under my account here privately somehow without taking up a bunch of PM space.

I could always copy them into something like Evernote, but I would just prefer not to have to do that.

Any ideas?

There's no quick, easy way of doing it. I tend to steer partners clear of RP via PM. Where that's just not possible, when I get a post, I quote it in the reply, and my partner adds his post to the bottom. Then he quotes the message, adding his post at the bottom, clearing away the quotes, and so on. Then the latest copy of the post contains the entire RP and I can delete older posts.

At some point in time, I'm sure I'll exceed some kind of maximum allowable post length, at which point I'll copy and paste it into a txt file and start the process anew just quoting the last couple posts for context.

KarenNelson said:
There's no quick, easy way of doing it.

Actually, there is~ It's both quick AND easy.

---

Transfer all of your PMs for that specific RP into a folder (This can be easily done by using the checkboxes and 'move to' options, should only take a few minutes for several hundred PMs). Make a new one using the edit folders option.

Once they're all in there, go to the concerned folder and use the 'Download messages' option. (It's the last option to the right, just under 'Blue Moon Roleplaying Forums / Private Messages')

It'll give you the option to save the entire folder's PMs into either a text file or HTML document to your convenience. I personally use both just to be safe... And shove it on a USB key in case I'm to format my computer.

---

The only downside to this method is that they won't be saved 'on your account here' like you asked, but it's really the only way you can do this. To have them saved under your account would defeat the very purpose of the PM limit, so. If you really can't think of a safe way to put it on USB key or hide it on your computer, then may I suggest creating a file sharing account on some free site and uploading the relevant files there? That would also be an option.

(Also moved this topic to the Q&S section instead of general.)

Halaster said:
Actually, there is~ It's both quick AND easy.

(Also moved this topic to the Q&S section instead of general.)

This solution sounds brilliant. Thank you. Seems much, much simpler to me than copy/pasting to another program. Not even worried that they won't be saved on the account now either.

Thanks for moving the thread to the correct forum section... completely overlooked it.

No worries. Glad I could be of help... This very same issue gave me a headache a short while ago when I wanted to clean out my inbox. I wasn't looking forward to copy/pasting the 10000+ PMs I had from my most active RP...

I was beyond joyous when I found that shiny little 'download messages' button. Seems like very few people know of it's existence at all... It's not very apparent at first.

That's exactly why I wanted to tackle the situation before it got out of control! :)

10000+ PMs? lol You're exaggerating to make a point, yes? However, on that note... does the PM space you are allotted grow with the number of posts you make?

No, I wasn't exaggerating, I literally had over 10k PMs for my most active RP... It's been going on for several months now. It'll be moving into a year soon enough, but I don't know the exact date and whatnot, I'd need to check.

And no, it doesn't. The PM cap is most likely a temporary measure though, the thing is, we don't know how long 'temporary' is at the moment. Might be a few months, might be several, might be a year or two... Or might be forever.

You can find more information about it here. As far as the whole 'cap' thing goes.

Congratz on the success of your long term RP! :)

I'll check out the information in the post. Appreciate it. I should look around at more of the stickies. I kind of just checked out the important rules and such and then dove into finding some roleplays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom