Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Rise of Buried Secrets Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amulet...

Aralu's mind was racing as she came to a halt, her eyes getting the faraway look of those in deep thought. She had not thought of the item, lest held it in her hands, for a very long time. What had become of it? Quickly she shifted through her memories

"Wait..." her mood suddenly brightened. "... if I remember correctly I still should have it. Inside the big chest in my private compartment in the academy basement." Looking at Irvine with a smile, she added "And I assume you think it worth the delay to go and fetch it."

Irvine shrugged. "The guy wore it to bed, so it had to be important to him. I know that there are spells that can be cast with objects of importance to their owner, scrying one of them. If he's alive, you should be able to scry on him with it. It might come in handy for other things as well." He wasn't too sure, he'd been more concerned about killing the lord at the time, and magic wasn't his forte anyway. No matter what others assumed, Psionics and combat were his forte.

"Let's go get it, then." Withut waiting for a reply Aralu made a 180 degree turn to leave through the tavern's main entrance.

"You may remember that I never was good at scrying, Tokkoli always did that when necessary. But since we are going to see her anyways might as well bring the amulet along." She refused to think of the dwarf priestess as a corpse unless it was proven so. Still, Olaf might be the alternative, if he was good enough already...

"True." Irvine replied. Tokoli had cast the harder information spells, while Ninnia took care of the rest with her silver tongue and bardic ways. He and Stephen took care of engaging/distracting any melee attackers while Aralu blasted away with magic. When he was able to, he added his own destructive Psionics, but mostly left the wide scale blasting to Aralu. He mostly dealt with individuals, while she mowed down the masses.

They reached Aralu's academy with no trouble, but inside and out were met with curious gazes. Gossip had already spread, and most were wondering who the warrior was, and why the High Magister had greeted him like an old friend. A quick search would reveal she still had the amulet where she last placed it.

"Here we go..."

Aralu held up the pendant to inspect it closer. Just like she had remembered, even down to the torn necklace it still hung from, small delicate links of silver, with one of them notably missing.

"And since we are here, might as well change into something more ... practical."

Indeed, while her dress was a sight to behold and suited her fine for her daily dealings at the academy, it even lacked something as simple as a pouch to store the amulet inside. Not the best way to go onto what might become a long and arduous adventure.

With a smile she asked Irvine "Will you wait in the entrance hall for a minute ?" and before he coudl even reply she was taking the first steps that led up out of the basement.

It took more than a minute of course, three in fact, before she returned to the announced meeting point. Now her garment was of leather and rough linen, robust and pratical, pants, boots, a shirt and a wide belt with puches instead of a silken dress. Her hair was tied back into a single ponytail.

"Now there really is nothing else I could think of, so we better depart finally. Are you ready?"

Irvine nods, slightly bemused at her manner. The teleport takes them away, landing safely near the main fountain of Tokoli's dwarven home. 8 guards immediately are surrounding them, bristling with weaponry. "Identify yourself, and explain your purpose here!" One of them calls. This was not the usual greeting for outsiders. Something is off...

"My dear men" Aralu began, trying to bring forth her most friendly demeanor possible as she forced her lips into a genuine smile despite the rude reception. "there is no need for violence. This warrior is Irvine Aelfdane, and I am Aralu Griesen. We are both good friends of your high priest Tokkoli, and here to pay her a visit."

The dwarves stare a moment, before nodding. "Well, once we've checked to see that you are who you really are, then you'll be free to go." One of the dwarves leaves, and comes back with one in robes, a mage. After casting Dispel magic on Irvine and Aralu several times, the mage nods. "They are who they appear to be." The leader of the group nods. "Thank you." He turns back to Irvibe and Aralu. "Alright, you're free to go. I'd suggest talking to Tokoli as soon as you can." The dwarf says, before leaving.

Wandering the dwarven city, there's a tension that wasn't there before. And everyone who can, even children, carries a weapon. Even for dwarves, this seems very unusual...

Aralu breathed a sigh of relief as her buffs held under the Dispel magic bombardment. But then, she had invested quite a bit to make sure they were not that easily dispellable. Onwards then.

"I would suggest we first look for Tokkoli in her old temple. If she's not there, we should at least be able to find someone who can point us into her general direction."

Irvine nods in reply. The pair continue their trek through the dwarven city of Zahnstrom, eventually reaching the Temple of Moradin, Tokoli's first home, and where she retired to. The building, like every other building, was made of stone. An emblem with Moradin's hammer was carved into the double doors, and the emblem was outlined with gold. Otherwise, it was a simple, austere building on the outside.

Inside, it was much the same. Here and there were pieces designed to worship Moradin, but keep a somber and simple air. The clerics did not pay any attention to the pair, unless they were spoken to.

Aralu did not feel much like seeking, and so keeping a modestly friendly smile on her face she approached the first of the dwarves that looked like he would be a cleric - relying mostly on the garments and amulets sporting Moradin's hammer - and addressed him in a voice hushed enough not to disturb the building's serene atmosphere too much.

"Excuse me, but we are looking for the priestess Tokkoli. Could you tell us her whereabouts?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom