Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Modern Fantasy Adventure!

B

Broomhandle45

In a day an age where technology prospered but peace and kindness didn't, the world changed only in terms of warfare. Swords were replaced with rifles, magic was no longer for the realm of the reclusive old man, but a practice of militaries worldwide.

While the borders changed and shifted, they never melded together. Old wounds never healed, but cut open and lay infected for wars and skirmishes to continue for generations. But as technology grows, so does the problem of the 'primal' races. Orcs, Goblins and Orges that had always stayed quiet but never died were finally grasping the scraps of technology that humanity was becoming so intimate with.

In hindsight, they all should have seen it coming. But they were so interlocked with fighting themselves that they paid little mind to the goblins and orcs carrying crude firearms in tiny groups, perhaps they should have. Border kingdoms paid them little mind, but when you have a thousands strong army decimate a border kingdom to the ground in a symphony of gunfire, death and orcish war howls...you begin to reconsider.

Humanity is on the brink of a war never seen in a hundred years, between the orcs and other primal creatures...they simply had a new agenda to disagree on: How to fight the hordes on their borders, and how to prevent the loss of another kingdom? The last issue wasn't considered as a matter of good will, simply a tactical concern.

Five of the six Human kingdoms still bicker and argue about who should do what, and when. While one of the border kingdoms is lost, the other two remain right in the crosshairs.
--

Prose aside, this is the background concept that I have developed. The characters therin will be of a combination of the two border kingdom's forces, combined together out of pure political backgrounds but with a legitimate goal in mind: Stop the invasion, maybe stop the human kingdoms from bickering too.

As you may have noticed, the technology is modern but the cultural and indeed political standings are feudal. Nobles are expected to join the battle, knights are still equipped with the best gear they can get...but instead of it being full plate. It's more like a steel chestplate with combat webbing. Yessir, this is a modern battlefield with a fantasy bent. The general ascetic I'm going for is 1900s military uniforms with some modern twists, like combat webbing and assault rifles and the like, magic is also an option. Aiming for a primarily European/American look and feel.

For a system, I'm keeping it easy to keep a flow going. As a character, you will have levels (Probably something small, like 5-10) with a predetermined amount of 'hits' or hitpoints for every character. Probably around 3 or so to start out with and a hit die. The hit die is also the same as you level for everybody.

Hit die works different in this capacity, as it is more the maximum offered damage allowed. For example, a group of 20 goblins is represented by the number 20. And if you are the relevant level, you can reach the threshold of a D20. When you roll for your character, you roll for how many opponents your character took out, and creativity is both desired and appreciated.

Further Example: Fighty McShooty has a hit die of D20 (being the required level for it) , and he manages to roll a natural twenty against those goblins above. Now, he could say he mowed them all down with a single magazine, but maybe Fighty McShooty is a Knight and has an underbarrel grenade launcher. There goes half of them to a well timed grenade, and the rest are picked off. Both saving him a few rounds and fun to read as well.

Ammo/Magic WILL be regulated, so creativity could save you some bullets/magic down the line.

As you can see, there is a lot of freeform involved. Which is why I'm not going to be incredibly picky about what people use in terms of weaponry, other than I ask that you stick to the atmosphere, please. Melee weapons aside from knives aren't being used anymore. HOWEVER!

HOWEVER: I am not going to simply allow shenanigans to happen just because. Be reasonable in your assumptions of your weaponry, a pistol is not going to puncture dragon hide. An orc is going to need more than a few rounds of a pistol to go down. This will be discussed further if interest is garnered and stuff will likely be revised as we go to improve fun and playability.

The goal for your characters are simple: Teamwork will be expected, encouraged and hoped for. I am open to any and all interpretation of concepts so long as the atmosphere is satisfied. Only at the very highest levels will you be able to take on a group of twenty goblins and get out potentially unharmed, and at that level you might not be fighting just twenty goblins either.

As for fluffing of the kingdoms, potential 'classes' that the characters can be, that can be discussed if interested is garnered. So...yeah, questions, comments, etcera?

Also! I'm probably not looking for a big group, depends on what the interest is at all. 3-4, maybe...like I said, I'll figure it out. I'll probably be GMing, and since I'm new to it, a small group would be best.

Very interested. Let's get some folks in here. I want to shoot an orc in the face with a shotgun. :p

Interest. Orc. Shotgun. You. Join.

Sounds awesome. Wherever this goes, count me in.

Ideas: As for bullets, say you have a limited number of clips. You can only reload once per post, and a maximum of two clips can be emptied. Under this system, if you used a full clip, reloaded, and spent the whole second clip all in a single post, you would be forced to reload at the start of your second post to fire anymore rounds.

Maybe consider sorting monsters into three ranks. A monster's HP could be equal to its rank. Each monster type (goblin, orc, etc.) could have a unique racial ability that can be used once every so many posts (this rule could apply to playable classes).

To be honest, too much simplicity can also cause complexity. The first idea implies an incredibly hectic method of combat with ammo consumption that would simply not be feasible for anything extended, so I'm likely going to go with a number system. US Troops on combat patrol in the middle east (if I recall) usually carry seven magazines, that's around 240 rounds. This will likely be no different, I feel a number system is much more flexible and allows people to seriously consider their options easier in terms of ammo.

However, the second idea I'm already with you on in some ways. As mentioned above, certain types will be more durable than others. Goblins will be as soft and squishy as humans, Orcs will be slightly harder and Orges will not be fun to deal with.

A good offhand example would be something like...Goblins take full damage, *that is to say it takes one bullet to reliably harm them to the point of removing them from the group/take away it's points* from light, medium and heavy calibers. Orcs will take half damage from light calibers *Two bullets to reliably harm them to the point of removing them from the group/taking away * and Orges will likely require heavy calibers to damage them fully, everything else requiring three rounds per point.

B to the UMP.

Also, might we consider writing our starting post / characters as long as we have 3 of us to start? If we're starting in those first two border kingdoms, we have plenty of room to include newcomers later.

Hi. Not interested in playing (since I'm DMing/GMing several threads already), but I thought I'd make a suggestion on rules.

1) Ammo and chosen weaponry do depend on what you're doing, and where you're at. For example, doing a strafing run against hordes of goblins with a military humvee, a mounted heavy machinegun, and a trunk/back section full of ammo. This kind of game just calls for a scene like that. So, GM (Game Master) says there are, we say 3,000 bullets, in the back waiting to be unloaded. PC (Player Character) is at the turret, and when in sight and range, begins shooting, drawing their attention. The hope? To lure the horde into a trap, whether a military pincer movement, or a canyon that will be collapsed behind the humvee, the point is to kill a good chunk of the goblins with minimal loss. So, how long will 3,000 bullets last? How many will it kill? What do the goblins have for speedy movement, and will the players be able to shoot them down before they reach the humvee? The roll of the dice and the say of the GM will found out. Rolling D20, with bonuses based on attributes and skills will help find out. There are rules for a modern fantasy setting by the D&D people, called D20 Modern. It could help you with ideas and basics.

But it's you're game. Not mine. Just trying to help. I find improvisation helps with DMing, so I know a good chunk of the rules, and know how to bend them to allow the PCs to attempt what they're doing. Like turning themselves into humanoid cannonballs to cross the 'uncrossable chasm', and making it work. Took away all I'd had planned out for the session. So I improvised an abandoned dwarven citadel filled with automatons protecting it. But that's me.

The point I was trying to get at earlier, but lost in my description? Just try to know a system of some kind, and the modify it for what you wish. As long as everyone has fun (the true goal, above all else), then whatever works.

Back
Top Bottom