Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Discipline vs. Abuse

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
How do you guys feel about physical punishment of children? I was spanked until I was 13 but very rarely and I remember getting slapped on the face when I said some really vile things once or twice, but other than that, I do not remember ever being hit. Spanking usually consisted of several swift smacks on the bottom(usually through clothing) with the hand, enough to sting for a few minutes.

I do not disagree with the type of discipline I received(hey, it fucking worked and I was a good kid for the most part) but then again, I also believe that children are so much smarter than we give them credit for and spanking or hitting assumes a lack of intelligence on the part of the child. If you assume they're stupid, they'll act stupid. Agree?

It varies per child. I think spanking is when they're being a little shit and everything else has failed. It may lead to a crying fit, but at least you stopped whatever was going on that needed to be stopped. But again, this doesn't always work with kids.

My nephew has Aspergers syndrome, and we still haven't perfected how to punish him because of how he perceives things. Spanking most certainly doesn't work.

I can't say whether spanking worked on me or not... to be honest, I don't think it did. It just made me distance myself from my dad. My dad was "the punisher" growing up. He was one of those stern conservative Texans and EVERY TIME I got in trouble... Like a ritual it was... he'd make me walk to his closet, get out his stupid ornate leather belt with the ridiculously huge buckle, bring it to him, and then he'd spank me. If I couldn't find the belt, I got in even more trouble and got spanked with something harder, like a stick or the fire place shovel.

Afterwards, he'd lecture me for what felt like hours.

I also learned to lie better, mostly because I felt the things I got in trouble for weren't that bad. Or at least warranted that much pain. I mostly certainly wasn't a bad kid or did bad things. I'd get spanked for careless stuff and ignorant mistakes like a bad grade. I once did my homework wrong and got in trouble for that, which lead to a spanking from the fireplace shovel. That's one of the last spankings I remember. I knew with every little thing, I'd probably get in trouble which would lead to a spanking which would lead to an hour of me being unable to sit because it hurt too much. So yep, I learned how to lie. Or well, tell a white lie. I always told a version of the truth.

But when it comes to spanking, I'd say open handed and below the waist. Don't use any of the stuff my dad used because those hurt like a motherfucker and can probably do more harm than you mean to. My dad actually cut me with the buckle once.

It also depends on their age. I think spanking should be done at about age 4 minimum, age 10 max. From age 4 to 10, you can do spankings, small groundings, taking items away, and start stern talkings. As for 4 and below, working with telling them no, smacks on the hand or thigh, and time out should do. After age 10, one should try grounding them, taking prized items away for extended amounts of time, and lectures should be how they're punished.

Some kids also work better with positive reinforcement... although I am not a fan of teaching a kid that every tiny good deed will come with rewards. Maybe give them a little allowance, and for each day they misbehave or get in trouble, take away from the total amount. Or take it all away I guess...

But I agree... spanking is often just a quick go-to punishment that can definitely berate a child. You have to eventually teach kids why you're punishing them and the consequences of their actions and behavior.

Sorry if I wrote a lot. I've grown up my entire life around kids. And I still debate this crap out with my dad because he still uses spanking as his default punishment up to about age 12, and he still resorts to spanking my nephew even though it NEVER works.

I don't agree that spanking a child results in obedience or even "teaches them a lesson." Spanking is a form of humiliation, and to humiliate a child is wrong. It is wrong to do to adults; spanking an adult without their consent is considered an assault. Why is this not so with children? Why do children still not have the rights to their own bodies that adults enjoy? It is my personal belief that a child should not be put through that sort of treatment at such a important developmental time in their lives. It is true that they may grow up to consider it an experience that "hardened them to the ways of the world," or something along those lines, but the fact remains that they were hit, and they did not consent to it. I feel that any sort of physical punishment or aggression, especially towards a child, is wrong and damaging, not only to their self-esteem, but also to their relationship with their guardian.

The real question is: Does spanking instill a greater respect in the child towards their guardian figure?

This is the person they are supposed to feel safe around. Ideally, they should be able to talk to about things that trouble them. This is the person a child will seek advice from, and may look up to. What does a repetitive example of violence do to a child, except grow calluses towards violence? It is my belief that children respect their parents or guardians far more if they approach disobedience with a fair, firm, and honest expression of disapproval which asks the child to reflect on their actions. Sure, this is a long-term remedy that requires just as much effort from the parent as it does from the child, but the quick-fix of slapping a child back into obedience does not do anything other than foster mistrust and fear, and perhaps resentment for their parental figure.

In short, it is a guardian's responsibility to be a child's role model; they will influence their children. A child will not respect what they cannot trust.

I will say this......... it is wrong to ABUSE a child. This means hitting a child with the intent to hurt or mark your child, to make them seriously cry or to instill a level of fear that they never want to come near you ever again. There is an EXTREMELY HUGE difference between doling out a spanking versus seriously hitting your child. A spanking shouldn't really hurt, more like surprise, your child. The level of pain should not really be there, not really. The difference is that you are trying to protect your child, more than likely. To teach them a lesson about safety or something along those lines or how to act appropriately so that they can function in society so that they have an easier time as they grow. Those are THE MAIN points of why any parent teaches their child anything... the rest just sort of falls in line by achieving those two main points.

Anyway, I agree with a lot of with what Muffin has stated--the ages she mentioned along with the methods she's mentioned for the ages. Certain ages, I believe, can handle certain things better and it is more appropriate to approach them in certain ways. Of course, it can definitely vary from child to child. I can see this plainly every single day with my own two who are VASTLY different. I also agree that a form of discipline that becomes physical in any way should be a last resort after all other options have been exhausted. Sometimes you need to get certain serious lessons drilled into your child's head for their own good and safety, not to mention for the safety and well being of others around them. So, when it comes to that, you just might have to do certain things (within reason, of course!!!). But again, you do need to use discretion and not overdo it and be appropriate with methods, etc. I firmly believe that. Because if you can find that balance, you can have an amazing relationship with your children... they will love AND respect you, not be afraid to come to you for anything because they KNOW you'll be fair and you will be the one they go to whenever they need comfort as well. They will know you do things out of worry and concern for them and they will see and understand that because kids are so smart, more so than people give them credit for.

~Nika~ said:
I don't agree that spanking a child results in obedience or even "teaches them a lesson." Spanking is a form of humiliation, and to humiliate a child is wrong. It is wrong to do to adults; spanking an adult without their consent is considered an assault. Why is this not so with children? Why do children still not have the rights to their own bodies that adults enjoy? It is my personal belief that a child should not be put through that sort of treatment at such a important developmental time in their lives. It is true that they may grow up to consider it an experience that "hardened them to the ways of the world," or something along those lines, but the fact remains that they were hit, and they did not consent to it. I feel that any sort of physical punishment or aggression, especially towards a child, is wrong and damaging, not only to their self-esteem, but also to their relationship with their guardian.

The real question is: Does spanking instill a greater respect in the child towards their guardian figure?

This is the person they are supposed to feel safe around. Ideally, they should be able to talk to about things that trouble them. This is the person a child will seek advice from, and may look up to. What does a repetitive example of violence do to a child, except grow calluses towards violence? It is my belief that children respect their parents or guardians far more if they approach disobedience with a fair, firm, and honest expression of disapproval which asks the child to reflect on their actions. Sure, this is a long-term remedy that requires just as much effort from the parent as it does from the child, but the quick-fix of slapping a child back into obedience does not do anything other than foster mistrust and fear, and perhaps resentment for their parental figure.

In short, it is a guardian's responsibility to be a child's role model; they will influence their children. A child will not respect what they cannot trust.

I have to say that I agree with Nika wholeheartedly. Even with the moderate spanking I received, it really distanced me from my parents in regards to anything serious. I never had a problem with "respect" per se but became an overly secluded and emotionally stunted child. Because "they were always right". Not that it's necessarily a bad thing(I mean, if you want a good result from hitting your kids, them acceding to your absolute authority in all things is at the top, as opposed to outright rebellion, which I never did) but I didn't really start thinking for myself or showing any motivation for independence until my 20's. =/

Anyway, I agree that there really is no call for physical discipline if your goal is to teach a lesson or earn respect.

I was spanked as a child though rarely. I feel pretty grounded as far as most things go and have a decent relationship with my parents. Anything stemming from the discipline I got from them.... I have no hard feelings toward it at all. Plus, I can count on one hand how frequently things went 'there'. Plus, it was ALWAYS for VERY good reason and was appropriately doled out (ie, how I got spanked...). Not everyone agrees with it, but I think a lot of that has to do with the individual itself. Parents need to know their children and how to communicate with them, going through the various options in how they teach them things before proceeding to discipline. Honestly, I think being a parent helps in determining how you'd deal with disciplining. Because seriously, what you think now might not be what you think later once you have a child. Every child is different and has different needs and sometimes those needs will shock the ever living hell out of you once you finally become a parent and live with it from day to day.

I would use spanking as a last resort when nothing else has worked. Abuse is when you want to hurt your child and instill fear in them - an occasional smack on the ass for them doing something really stupid and imo scary to you to experience, it warrants that kind of thing. It's not meant to hurt them, but to show them that they really scared you or really messed up and could have been hurt far, far worse than what happened to them because of you.

I always find that people who think even a light tap on the ass is abuse are more closed-minded about how discipline works. But that's just from my experience and I'm not pointing any fingers here. I don't find that yelling and telling them they were so wrong for what they did works very well. Yeah, they've been reprimanded, but that's when you have to escalate the punishment if they do it again because that didn't work. And then it just cycles until you reach your last resort- whatever that might be.

I was spanked maybe three times and I was slapped once by my mother for stealing and lying about it. Trust me, I haven't done it since - not because she frightened me with it or made me mistrust her- but the gravity of what I did finally settled down on me. I lost her trust and took a year to earn it back and even then it was still touch and go. I wasn't upset about getting caught but that I had lost my mother's trust. That was really hard to deal with on top of a lot of other things going on around me.

But from my experience growing up, some of my friends could definitely have used a spank or two, or at least had their parents listen to them instead of just scream in their faces and think that would work. I've known several people who were abused and trust me, they didn't get spanked. They got slapped, punched, threatened, things like that. There's a line - a huge line- but some people easily cross it just because they let their anger get the better of them and it puts a huge chip on their kids' shoulders.

I didn't become dependent on my dad in such ways, but I agree, I grew distant from him, and I feel I can't really be open with him. It seems like with most parents, there's the enforcer, and then there's a friend. My mom was the friend, my dad was the enforcer. I don't think he even knows how to talk to me. My sister and I are polar opposites. At the age of 15, my sister was a regular drug abuser and got pregnant. So I feel because of his step daughters follies, he was a lot tougher on me growing up, which probably lead to my hostility towards him as I grew up. And now when he talks to me, he either lectures or he talks to me like I'm 5.

Being a stay-at-home mother, I take on the role of both--enforcer and friend. So, I both discipline as well as comfort and nurture. Thing is, I haven't really spanked my kids yet. Haven't had the need. Then again, they are 4 and 2. I have spanked my son once and it nearly killed me to do it. But goddamn the kid nearly ran out in front of a car. I gave him a quick 2 swats to the backside for that. He knew he deserved it and he knew better than to do what he did. Problem was he wanted to run to the playground and we were getting out of the van. He wrenched his arm free from my grasp and didn't stop to look both ways (something he KNOWS to do now). Luckily, I grabbed him in time. Man.... you've no idea how freaked out that made me and what was worse was that his sister tried to follow, but I had a good hold on her. So yeah. He deserved that swat. He knew it. He apologized. He didn't cry. He also got quite a talking to and I also used that time to speak to my daughter a little even if she is only 2 years old. Nothing crazy, just enough to drive home the point. And then my son had to sit out for 5 minutes before he could play. He got the picture right quick and he's never done that again. But those are situations I feel and think warrant such actions. And I'll tell you this.... my son is a total momma's boy. I might be the one disciplining, but I'm the one both go to when they get that owwie or have a bad dream or made something nifty at school. They know I'll lavish them with love and praise and talk to them about anything and everything because I want to hear what they have to say. Honestly, I like playing both roles even if it's trying at times.

Okay. Well, putting aside the question about whether physical punishment of children is "abuse" or not, which has been a question posed, and one that had obviously never come to a clear consensus, in the U.S, I still have to argue that physical punishment is not necessary, and is not ethical.

Does spanking a child humiliate them? Yes it does. What does humiliation do to a child at such a young age? What are we really talking about?
Is it the "light taps," as Havoc put it, that bring up a need for this discussion thread? Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. The adult will never really know how that action will affect their child. Common sense leads me to believe violence will only result in a negative response, whatever that may be; however, only the child on the receiving end understands fully how it has effected them.

If we are drawing from personal experience, then allow me to create a hypothetical one.

There is a real emergency, say a life-threatening one. Does that level of emergency constitute physical reprimand on the child's part? (This is on the basis of presuming a life-threatening decision is the worst thing a child can do to receive this kind of response from their guardian.)

Now, this is admittedly my own personal experience, and therefore not valid as fact, but I did not consider myself suicidal as a child. I most likely did not know anything about suicide from age four to ten. Children don't necessarily put themselves, or other's, consciously in harms way. Say, hypothetically, I started to run out into moving traffic. Did I know that running out into the street when my brain was focused on getting over to the other side was a bad thing necessarily, even if I had been told before? No, not in that moment. Did I understand what it meant for my life to be in danger once the situation had been explained to me by a frightened, emotionally distraught parental figure? Most likely, yes. Am I in need of physical punishment?

No.

It is true that our habitual reactions to situations are shaped by momentous happenings in our lives. This is a sort of "jolt" to our system, if you will. A smack from a adult to a child gather's their attention immediately, and thus instills that habit. They will no longer cross the road without waiting and looking first. Is it ethical? That is for you to decide. It is my opinion that the method of physical punishment is not ethical in any form, and should not be allowed. Children cannot advocate for themselves; who will advocate for them?

What I was proposing in my earlier post, and what may have been misconstrued, was that there is a better way to go about implanting these lessons into children, without the harsh jolt to their developing mentalities.

A child who has done something wrong, knows they have done wrong the moment they see (or hear) disapproval from their guardian. If the child does not know they have done wrong, then what does a smack do more than create both a jolt of fear and confusion? A level response, one of genuine concern, is far better than a quick-fix. Yes, it is not easy. Yes, it takes time and effort on the guardian's part to kneel and speak with the child about the experience. Learning to show emotion to children instead of hiding it behind, or instinctually resorting to, violence takes a lot of self-restraint.

Speaking the truth, such as (hypothetically, to my child,) "Mommy was so scared, do you see how scared I am? I could have lost you. I never, never want to see you do something like that again, okay? I love you, and I don't want you to get hurt. Do you understand?" I believe, can do so much more for a child's developmental process, as well as their relative obedience. No child will be perfect. I don't mean a quick, talk or yelling fit down to the child either. I mean getting down onto your knees, so that you are face-to-face, and opening up to them. It was, after all, a fear of the parent's that elicited that response toward the child.

Should the guardian then not show as much self-control as they are asking of their child?

Showing a child honest emotion, I believe, encourages honesty in them. Guilt is used, yes, but is it not a better alternative to pain and fear on the child's part? Does a open response to their safety not foster love, respect and a longer-lasting reflection of actions on the child's part? This method transforms the child's disobedience from something that was previously a shameful act, into something that has been discussed, with honesty that was demanded from both sides, and fosters trust on the child's side towards their parent. It is the same as the self-control used to stay calm when a child is throwing a fit. You let them scream their head off, then you ask, "are you done?" Until the child replies "yes," they scream, but you remain calm, in order to speak with them afterwards about their actions. Nagging? Perhaps. Does it take time and energy? Hell yes. Would you invest any less in your children?

If a child can see that their parent has the capacity to really invest their time into them, with a firm, unwavering stance on disobedience, yet with a fair and loving approach, will they not reciprocate that fairness and love? Will they not learn the rules of this world in a positive way, and later, have the courage and self-respect themselves to take risks and possibly even try their hands at shaping those very rules?

I don't consider spanking humiliating unless that is the intent behind it.

An example of this would be when my dad's ex-fiancee would tell her kids to grab one of the wooden spoons for her to spank them with when they did something she considered disobeying. I watched her spank her 8 year old in front of me because I happened to be in the room. [I was 12]. She was crying and screaming and asking for her mother to stop. I found out later that the spoon broke over her ass. Thankfully, she was wearing jeans, but that is something I find unethical, humiliating, and abuse.

When your kid does something incredibly dangerous and you spank them once or twice just enough to shock them? I don't consider that even remotely the same. Especially if you talk to them about why you did it and what they did to garner that kind of punishment. I think it makes them more aware of themselves and what is going on instead of focusing solely on what they want. But I also dislike spoiled children and find that more and more of them are starting to pop up in the newest generation because some parents just don't know how to discipline properly or just don't care to be actual parents. I don't consider spanking to be a part of good parenting or discipline, but I do consider it a form of discipline that can work depending on the child. Some kids respond to grounding/time out/having toys taken away and some kids just simply don't.

Finding the balance is how parenting works, not just outright thinking that someone is a bad parent because they happen to spank their kids. I don't think that. I think a bad parent is one who pretty much lets their kid do whatever they want and barely punishes them for bad behaviors or goes overboard with punishing. Two extremes do not help anyone.

I think the humiliation part of it comes from the fact that no matter how old a person is they're still a person with thoughts and feelings and the ability to reason. Hitting someone to get an instantaneous reaction or to exert power over them is not something you would do to an adult under normal "teaching/punishment" circumstances. What I got out of what Nika was saying was, why is it okay to do it to a child then? They're a person too just shorter.

And she wasn't saying that it was easy, the whole point was that it takes more effort and patience to express yourself to your child but that it was worth it more than just a quick smack on the behind that will leave them confused about the message you're trying to send. I think there is something to it. A firm and controlled approach rather than screaming/hitting garners more respect.

Also, Hahvy, I think a lot of the lack of good parenting nowadays has less to do with "do I spank them or not?" and more to do with an overall neglect in parenting. Parents are not there, they're too busy or they try to let television and school take care of their kids. It's not "don't spank them=let them do whatever they want and run all over the place". The plan proposed is to have an actual consistent agenda and open dialogue with your child and treat them like a human being.

As I said, explaining to them instead of just treating them like a stupid ignorant kid is part of disciplining. And I didn't say spanking is part of good parenting.

I just don't believe it's humiliation unless that's the intent behind doing it. The one spanking I remember didn't make me feel humiliated, but everyone is different and the methods are different. I did something wrong that I knew better than to do and my mother explained why and spoke to me afterwards like an adult instead of a dumb kid who "deserved to get hit." Not all parents do that - but the good parents do. Not all parents spank their kids but as I said, all parents are different.

Teaching a lesson and humiliation are different things. I don't particularly agree with Nika, but that's just how it is. I see what she means but I don't agree with a lot of it.

In defense of spanking in the topic of children's intelligence, can't deny that children are indeed more ignorant than adults. Not saying they're stupid, or they don't have the ability to learn and understand. But many of them do not know how to express themselves and understand and put things together like adults can. This is why kids often throw tantrums.

For instance... lets say you take your kid to the store. You walk past the toy aisle and the kid sees a toy they want. They ask if they can have it, and you say no for whatever reason. Adults usually tell kids no for what we could consider adult reasons (costs too much, too messy, too noisy, christmas or their birthday is coming up, etc etc). Many kids have a hard time understanding this and seeing from the adult perspective, and they will want to debate it out with you if they don't agree... as most humans do, and its understandable. But kids don't entirely know how to express themselves. They're in that transitional period in life where they just grew out of the phase where they have to cry and fuss to express their negative emotions and get your attention. This trait carries on in kids... it's just less often, and they will grow out of it for good once their understanding and vocabulary expand. But until then, when they feel you are being unjust, not understanding or hearing them out, etc., they will throw a fit and get emotional. If they're stubborn and persistent, this goes into a tantrum, which can be hard to break up, and they typically won't listen to anything being said to them or any reasoning unless they agree with it or unless people side with them.

It's at this point that the parent would likely take the kid out of the store, take them to the car, spank them to kind of snap them out of their tantrum, and just shoot down the topic entirely, "No! I told you that you are not getting the toy and I told you why, end of topic!" They will cry and probably have another fit, but this time its typically because of the little stinging on the butt. And once that is gone, they calm down, and they may even forget about the toy in the midst of their fit.

That's when the parent should apologize for doing that to them, and explain to them why they did it, and why they just could not have the toy. Then tell them that it's not in spite of them, and when the time is okay, they will get a toy, but that is not today.

That's why when I was listing when spanking is okay, I cut it off at 10. 10+ is when one should start trusting the intelligence of their child and more so work on making sure they definitely understand, or else they're going to have one heck of a teenager.

Ms_Muffintops said:
In defense of spanking in the topic of children's intelligence, can't deny that children are indeed more ignorant than adults. Not saying they're stupid, or they don't have the ability to learn and understand. But many of them do not know how to express themselves and understand and put things together like adults can. This is why kids often throw tantrums.

For instance... lets say you take your kid to the store. You walk past the toy aisle and the kid sees a toy they want. They ask if they can have it, and you say no for whatever reason. Adults usually tell kids no for what we could consider adult reasons (costs too much, too messy, too noisy, christmas or their birthday is coming up, etc etc). Many kids have a hard time understanding this and seeing from the adult perspective, and they will want to debate it out with you if they don't agree... as most humans do, and its understandable. But kids don't entirely know how to express themselves. They're in that transitional period in life where they just grew out of the phase where they have to cry and fuss to express their negative emotions and get your attention. This trait carries on in kids... it's just less often, and they will grow out of it for good once their understanding and vocabulary expand. But until then, when they feel you are being unjust, not understanding or hearing them out, etc., they will throw a fit and get emotional. If they're stubborn and persistent, this goes into a tantrum, which can be hard to break up, and they typically won't listen to anything being said to them or any reasoning unless they agree with it or unless people side with them.

It's at this point that the parent would likely take the kid out of the store, take them to the car, spank them to kind of snap them out of their tantrum, and just shoot down the topic entirely, "No! I told you that you are not getting the toy and I told you why, end of topic!" They will cry and probably have another fit, but this time its typically because of the little stinging on the butt. And once that is gone, they calm down, and they may even forget about the toy in the midst of their fit.

That's when the parent should apologize for doing that to them, and explain to them why they did it, and why they just could not have the toy. Then tell them that it's not in spite of them, and when the time is okay, they will get a toy, but that is not today.

That's why when I was listing when spanking is okay, I cut it off at 10. 10+ is when one should start trusting the intelligence of their child and more so work on making sure they definitely understand, or else they're going to have one heck of a teenager.

This I can agree with. Kids at that age are reaching the understanding point and expressing themselves by then. Even just taking them out of the store and putting them in time out until they cry it out sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. Patience is needed, which I can agree with Nika on, but children are different with what works with them.

But yeah, I agree with you on this one, Muffins and most of what you've put towards the discussion.

Comes from years of having to help care for my sisters kids. I'm pretty good with knowing when I'd prefer to spank a kid or choose something else. Again, spanking is my last resort. Even then, I don't really "spank" I usually swat them on the thigh with the palm of my hand. I've witnessed plenty of melt downs and in the worst of places.

I've agreed with everything Muffin has said in all of her posts in this thread and I say this as a parent of 2 small children. I think it holds a lot of insight and expresses rather eloquently everything that that goes through my head when it comes to this particular topic. So, very well said, Muffin. Very well said indeed.

I assume you mean something along the lines of the cliche, "they simply do not know any better."

Now, using that "wisdom" to argue that therefore children should be subjected to something that is illegal to do to unconsenting adults is a serious fallacy. I'm sure you can see where people mix up a child's development, and a child's developing self control. This wouldn't even be a issue if we had child's rights against corporeal punishment in the home, as the countries of Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Cyprus, Croatia, Latvia, Israel, Germany, Bulgaria, Iceland, Romania, Ukraine, Hungary, Greece, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Uruguay, Venezuela, Spain, Republic of Moldova, Costa Rica, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Tunisia, Poland, and Kenya do, but we don't. Thus, this thread.

If a child walks into a store, does not have the capacity to control their emotions, and begins to throw a fit. . . That is a good excuse to hit them? The child's tantrum is affecting the people in the store and the adult. Who is in control of the adult's emotion, and subsequent choice of action? The child? Or the adult?

Who is responsible for teaching this child? The adult is. What does a show of aggression teach the child in the short and long term? To fear the adult's reactions, and that the sort of aggression modeled to them was acceptable?

Does the developmental process of a child have no relevance to this conversation? Should we really focus more the effects that spanking has on the short-term response of obedience? Or should it be a discussion around what being hit teaches a child? It seems to me that we can all agree it is not okay to hit those that are mentally disabled, or those that have physical disabilities simply because they do not have the self-control or ability to function in the same manner of the rest of us. Why is it we think hitting young children is acceptable?

If you are saying that the emotional instability of a child, and their lack of self control are perfectly good reasons to hit them, and yet at the same time completely agree that children are still learning and therefore deserve more of a parent's time and patience. . . do you not see the fallacy here?

Who is the one in control of their emotions? The parent. Who is the example for their child? The parent.
Using this logic, it is only ethical that the parent be able to control their own impulses and not hit their child. Like I said in my post above; yes, a child's mental process is still being developed. The parent shapes that in their child. Yes, children cannot control themselves, and that is okay. It's okay for children not to be in control of themselves. It is the responsibility of the adult to show them how to participate positively in their world.

I can think of many names of those who have shaped our world, and did not need to exert force to do so. The Dali Lama is just one example. It's as simple as asking the question: What sort of example do you want to be to your kids?

It doesn't matter that the customers in the store are disrupted, or how loudly the child is screaming; what really matters is in that moment what decision the adult choses to make, and what it will teach their child.

And if you still believe physical punishment is somehow justified, please, for the sake of curiosity, learning, or if you simply have a few minutes to spare, read a little about where my stance comes from. Here's a short ten reasons why one should not hit children.

Very well said, Nika. Also, thank you for providing the link. I think the numbers 2, 3, and 5 resonate the most with me, from that list, but the entire thing is a good eye opener.

2. In many cases of so-called "bad behavior", the child is simply responding in the only way he can, given his age and experience, to neglect of basic needs. Among these needs are: proper sleep and nutrition, treatment of hidden allergy, fresh air, exercise, and sufficient freedom to explore the world around him. But his greatest need is for his parents' undivided attention. In these busy times, few children receive sufficient time and attention from their parents, who are often too distracted by their own problems and worries to treat their children with patience and empathy. It is surely wrong and unfair to punish a child for responding in a natural way to having important needs neglected. For this reason, punishment is not only ineffective in the long run, it is also clearly unjust.

3. Punishment distracts the child from learning how to resolve conflict in an effective and humane way. As the educator John Holt wrote, "When we make a child afraid, we stop learning dead in its tracks." A punished child becomes preoccupied with feelings of anger and fantasies of revenge, and is thus deprived of the opportunity to learn more effective methods of solving the problem at hand. Thus, a punished child learns little about how to handle or prevent similar situations in the future.

5. Punishment interferes with the bond between parent and child, as it is not human nature to feel loving toward someone who hurts us. The true spirit of cooperation which every parent desires can arise only through a strong bond based on mutual feelings of love and respect. Punishment, even when it appears to work, can produce only superficially good behavior based on fear, which can only take place until the child is old enough to resist. In contrast, cooperation based on respect will last permanently, bringing many years of mutual happiness as the child and parent grow older.

If a child walks into a store, does not have the capacity to control their emotions, and begins to throw a fit. . . That is a good excuse to hit them? The child's tantrum is affecting the people in the store and the adult. Who is in control of the adult's emotion, and subsequent choice of action? The child? Or the adult?

Whoever said the parent acted out of emotions? Sure, the parent is getting frustrated, but not all spankings are out of anger or frustration. I don't give a crap if someone else's kid is throwing a fit, so when a kid is throwing a fit in a store, it doesn't affect me. Because I know how some kids act. I might say something like "Someone's not very happy right now", and that's about it.

It's simply to force the current tantrum to stop because there are more pressing matters at hand, a parent doesn't want to drive him with a kid being like that (for the safety of everyone), and tantrums can be hard to break up. Kids will sometimes throw fits so long that they forget what they're even fussing about, but they continue because they know they had a negative emotion that they were running on. Again, because typically the child does not completely understand. I didn't say hit them, hit is a harsher term to use. Most spankings are open handed, and below the waist as many state laws limit us. Not that many parents today would cross that line anyways. I define hit as an action out of a negative emotion with the goal to hurt their kid, with no limitations. They don't care if its above the waste, open or closed fisted, with an inanimate object or not, etc.

Is a parent abusing their kid if they take their kid in to get shots? Many people consider shots to be unnecessary. The parent knows its going to hurt, it may even make their kid sick for a day, but in the end, it's what they feel is best for their child.

Who is responsible for teaching this child? The adult is. What does a show of aggression teach the child in the short and long term? To fear the adult's reactions, and that the sort of aggression modeled to them was acceptable?

We are all human. We all have varying emotions. It's not like parents are constantly negative towards their child. Many parents will often apologize for spanking their kid after they have calmed down. And it's not like they ALWAYS resort to spanking. Again, many parents resort to spanking as a last resort to stop a fit or tantrum.

Does the developmental process of a child have no relevance to this conversation? Should we really focus more the effects that spanking has on the short-term response of obedience?

Spanking is meant to be a short term solution. Again. Many parents do take other approaches to teaching. For the millionth time... it is a last resort punishment. It is a punishment, not a method of teaching. Even then, I know PLENTY of people who were spanked plenty, and they are perfectly fine functioning individuals. The only downfall I see is that the more it is used, the more distant the child is to the parent. But from what I see, this is typically not the norm.

Or should it be a discussion around what being hit teaches a child? It seems to me that we can all agree it is not okay to hit those that are mentally disabled, or those that have physical disabilities simply because they do not have the self-control to function in the same manner of the rest of us. Why is it we think hitting young children is acceptable?

Spanking the mentally disabled is not okay because they are assumed to not have the mental capacity to learn and comprehend things like a child eventually will. Parents spank while the kid is learning but still have yet to understand. But they trust their child will eventually get there. The way their minds work are also very different.

If you are saying that the emotional instability of a child, and their lack of self control are perfectly good reasons to hit them, and yet at the same time completely agree that children are still learning and therefore deserve more of a parent's time and patience. . . do you not see the fallacy here?

Again... last resort. And have you had to deal with a kid throwing a full on tantrum? Allow me to share a story with you. I was at the renaissance festival with my 9 year old nephew (not the autistic one). When we got there, I told him he had an allotted $25 to spend on anything he wanted there. No more. As we walked around the vendors, I reminded and explained to him that he should look around at all of the vendors first. And then when we were done, he should then decide what he wanted to get. I took him to play some games, I got him lunch, some dessert, saw a few shows, and walked around the vendors. At some point, he decided he wanted a toy sword and a wax hand. Again, I kept on insisting he wait until we made it all the way around. I know my nephew, I live with him. I know how he acts, how he reacts, and I didn't really care either way. It was his job to make the decision. He decided he wanted a toy sword, and a wax hand. So... I took him to get them.

On the way out to leave, he saw a kiosk with a bow and arrow set. He asked me if I could get it for him. I told him no. I explained to him that I didn't have the money and he didn't have enough of the $25 left. I explained that he should have waited like I told him to, and told him this was the consequence of his choices. He started begging me to get it for him. Again, I explained. He asked me to call my mom and ask her to bring money. I knew what my mom would say. I let him call her, she said no and told him the same thing. It was time to go anyways. So I told him to come along. He started whining, I told him the same stuff over again and again reminded him that it was time to go. He started crying. I grabbed him by the hand and started to lead him out of the festival. He started screaming flailing and hitting me because he wanted the bow and arrow.

As soon as we got outside of the gate, where people were coming in and out, he played dead weight and started kicking and screaming at me. Because of his choice words, "DON'T TOUCH ME!" "I DON'T WANT TO GO!" People thought I was trying to kidnap the kid. People were coming up and asking him if he was okay, did he know me, where was his mom, etc. And he just remained quiet. Eventually someone called for a cop to show up. Any time I tried to speak for him, I was told to shut up. The cop started questioning me. I explained he was my nephew and he was just having a fit because he wanted something and he didn't want to go. Later my mom showed up and talked to them. She got him into the car and left.

Had the walk not been that long, and had I gotten to the car. Yes, I would have swat him on the thigh. What would have happened? He would have started focusing on the surprise and the (mild) sting of getting spanked. Yes, he'd cry over that for a little bit, but he'd have probably forgotten the bow and arrow and calmed down once the sting of the spank subsided. He needed a distraction, something to suddenly yank him out of his irrationality and his tantrum. You can't offer them something in replace. That is spoiling, and it doesn't always work. You can try talking to them and explaining things, I and my mom had obviously done that already, but he did not understand and he did not agree with what was being said, so he persisted and had a tantrum. He was fighting me as I was trying to lead him to the car. It is not safe driving around when a kid is acting like this. He has hit, kicked, and thrown things at people while having his tantrums in the car. That can cause a wreck.

Who is the one in control of their emotions? The parent. Who is the example for their child? The parent.
Using this logic, it is only ethical that the parent be able to control their own impulses and not hit their child.

It's not an impulse! Most people react irrationally when its an impulse.

If a parent acted on impulse, they would likely just slug the kid or slam them against a wall or pull their hair, which is abuse.

Like I said in my post above; yes, a child's mental process is still being developed. The parent shapes that in their child. Yes, children cannot control themselves, and that is okay. It's okay for children not to be in control of themselves. It is the responsibility of the adult to show them how to participate positively in their world.

And many parents do. And kids won't always understand right away. Let's now use a puppy as an example. Puppies have a habit of biting. That's fine and understandable. When you want them to stop biting, you don't just tell them no. You tell them no AND you hold their mouth shut for a second. It doesn't hurt, it causes mild annoyance. You will have to do this for awhile, but eventually, the time will come when you say "No!" and they will just stop, because they expect you grab their jaw. But you won't, and then they will learn what the word means. No means stop what you're doing.

Kids work in a similar way. You shouldn't and won't always have to resort to spanking a kid, but sometimes you will have to to immediately stop what they're doing because they won't stop.

I can think of many names of those who have shaped our world, and did not need to exert force to do so. The Dali Lama is just one example. It's as simple as asking the question: What sort of example do you want to be to your kids?

Realistically speaking, many successful people in the world were not passive-aggressive as well. Sometimes being soft just doesn't get stuff done. It's great when it does, but realistically it doesn't always work out that way.

It doesn't matter that the customers in the store are disrupted, or how loudly the child is screaming; what really matters is in that moment what decision the adult choses to make, and what it will teach their child.

Trust me. Anyone who's lived with a kid or raised one won't care or judge the parents or the child.

And if you still believe physical punishment is somehow justified, please, for the sake of curiosity, learning, or if you simply have a few minutes to spare, read a little about where my stance comes from. Here's a short ten reasons why one should not hit children.
[/quote]

Not trying to be rude. I am very firm on my beliefs. I know sometimes spanking is not the answer to punishing some kids. I have a nephew who doesn't react to spanking because he is autistic and he often obsesses over issues because he is just socially and mentally wired different than most kids. But for some kids, it works, and we're not destroying them mentally by giving them a smack on the butt. They probably get hurt more by fellow friends and siblings than they would the parent.

Not saying there aren't parents who go overboard with spanking. I do believe my dad went overboard with spanking me. He cut me once with his belt, and I often could hardly move because it hurt so much. But a open handed swat below the waist as a last resort punishment is not abuse or damaging to the child as a person. I know some VERY loving parents who have sometimes had to resort to spanking some of their kids.

I was spanked in both ways and there is a significant difference.

My mom spanked me open handed below the waist and my relationship with her is fine. I am not damaged because my mom would sometimes spank me and send me to my room when I was being a brat.

Heheh.

Believe what you will. I'm just going to say one thing before I leave this topic to all of you,

It is perfectly fine for people to go around thinking they can hurt other people. If such an action is accepted as a societal norm, it is barely given a second glance. It only gets messy when people start questioning what level of honesty they want to hold themselves accountable to. In the end, the only guilt you have to live with is your own.

Rudolph Quin said:
Very well said, Nika. Also, thank you for providing the link. I think the numbers 2, 3, and 5 resonate the most with me, from that list, but the entire thing is a good eye opener.

2. In many cases of so-called "bad behavior", the child is simply responding in the only way he can, given his age and experience, to neglect of basic needs. Among these needs are: proper sleep and nutrition, treatment of hidden allergy, fresh air, exercise, and sufficient freedom to explore the world around him. But his greatest need is for his parents' undivided attention. In these busy times, few children receive sufficient time and attention from their parents, who are often too distracted by their own problems and worries to treat their children with patience and empathy. It is surely wrong and unfair to punish a child for responding in a natural way to having important needs neglected. For this reason, punishment is not only ineffective in the long run, it is also clearly unjust.

3. Punishment distracts the child from learning how to resolve conflict in an effective and humane way. As the educator John Holt wrote, "When we make a child afraid, we stop learning dead in its tracks." A punished child becomes preoccupied with feelings of anger and fantasies of revenge, and is thus deprived of the opportunity to learn more effective methods of solving the problem at hand. Thus, a punished child learns little about how to handle or prevent similar situations in the future.

5. Punishment interferes with the bond between parent and child, as it is not human nature to feel loving toward someone who hurts us. The true spirit of cooperation which every parent desires can arise only through a strong bond based on mutual feelings of love and respect. Punishment, even when it appears to work, can produce only superficially good behavior based on fear, which can only take place until the child is old enough to resist. In contrast, cooperation based on respect will last permanently, bringing many years of mutual happiness as the child and parent grow older.

I can't really agree with these. It sounds like letting your kid be a spoiled brat is the only way to let them love you, which is pretty dumb.

But that's also the fact that it believes any form of punishment is based off of fear. Good parents - real parents - don't want their kids to fear them. They want them to learn what is good and what is bad and what's acceptable and what isn't.

So, I don't believe in this. I believe that spanking is a last resort and that physically harming- YES, HARMING- your child is wrong. There's a key difference between discipline and harming your kid.

~Nika~ said:
Heheh.

Believe what you will. I'm just going to say one thing before I leave this topic to all of you,

It is perfectly fine for people to go around thinking they can hurt other people. If such an action is accepted as a societal norm, it is barely given a second glance. It only gets messy when people start questioning what level of honesty they want to hold themselves accountable to. In the end, the only guilt you have to live with is your own.

I won't feel guilty for disciplining my kid in the way that works best with them when I have them. I also wouldn't respond to people judging me.

Also - No one here has said hurting people/children is tolerable. No idea where you got that from but sounds pretty much like you had a set frame of mind when coming into this thread and nothing no one has said has really reached you. But that's your choice.

Yeah some people can't seem to separate the different degrees.

If you spank a kid, you are not harming or damaging them. The pain, if they have any at all, will subside within a minute or 2 max. Harming them is leaving marks, leaving them unable to move, sit, stand, touch that part of the body without pain, etc. If you fall on your butt, yes it'll hurt, but you are not harmed. You're fine, you're not traumatized, you may be a little startled, but you move on. This is a good equivalent of what a kid experiences, or what they should experience when receiving a spanking.

My best friend in middle school was abused on a regular basis. Her mom would punch her, slam her against the wall, and pull her hair. And if people want to define spanking as abuse because a kid receives a non-malicious punishment that leaves a minor amount of pain on them for a minute or two, and spend government money and time on those little incidents, you're leaving less room for the kids who TRULY need it.

That's why states DO have laws on what is too much. I'm not sure about here in Michigan, but in VA, the limit to spanking was below the waste, and open handed. Anything more could constitute abuse.

As someone who was raised with the idea that there are real consequences for behaving like a delusional spider monkey who got hold of a chain saw.... there is a very thin line between discipline and abuse.

But it sure as hell is not invisible. It is often ignored, but it is not invisible.

Back
Top Bottom