Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Alternate History - Red 1945 (Input needed!)

Okay, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here we go.

For about the last year of so, I have wanted to try upgrading my writing from roleplays and various uncompleted 'pet projects' to an actual novel, or series of novels. Something that, if done well enough, I hope to be able to sell.

I've been a huge fan of alternative history for a long time, usually scenarios dealing with World War II or the Cold War, but I wanted to avoid the stereotypes of 'Hitler Wins', or 'Cuban Missile Crisis goes Bad', but instead, try to go with something that I hadn't seen done before.

Thus, the creation of the (tentatively named) Red 1945.

The idea was this:

In the Spring of 1945, the Soviet Red Army unleashed its full power against Berlin, as the American Army pushed into Germany from across the Rhine. Allied only by the larger threat that was Nazi Germany, the leaderships of Britain, the United States, and the USSR already knew that another confrontation was inevitable. (Winston Churchill and the British Armed Forces' Joint Planning Staff's drafted a plan for an attack against the Soviet Union codenamed 'Operation Unthinkable'. The Chiefs of Staff were concerned that given the enormous size of Soviet forces deployed in Europe at the end of the war, and the perception that the Soviet leader Joseph Stalin was unreliable, there existed a Soviet threat to Western Europe.)

Joseph Stalin, aware of the inevitable conflict between the Soviet Union and the Allied Powers, chooses to send a large attack force beyond Berlin, beyond the demarcation point established between the US and the USSR, and launches a sudden and overwhelming attack against the American and British forces moving to capture Berlin.

World War II gets a new chapter.

The Soviet Red Army takes advantage of the surprise and confusion among the Allies, pushing them out of Germany, and back into France. Their advance is only halted when the materiel brought in from England and the United States to defend against a Nazi counterattack is able to turn the war into a stalemate.

I wanted to tell the story from several perspectives, giving different views of the war on each side, as the conflict evolves into a mixture of WWII and Cold War tactics - jet fighters, napalm, massive tank battles. And possibly the detonation of the first atomic warhead over Soviet-occupied France instead of Japan.

However, I could use ideas and critique on the concept. So I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the idea.

Thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom