Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SPACE PIRATES!!!! OOC

@Rogue: Hope whatever is troubling you will sort itself the best way.

I know I have been rather inactive here the last week/ week and a half. I do, however have a few plot ideas for my latest character. If anyone reading this has a character idea in need of a plot, or want to join but have no idea for a character, and want to hear what I got, please tell me here or in PM.

I got a couple of questions. I have been talking about this RP to a friend not signed up at Blue Moon. He is interested, and came up with a character idea that we both thought were kind of cool, but that we also felt might not suit this RP, so I said I would breach the idea, and see what you people thought of it.

The character idea is some sort of human/alien symbiote, created from the merging of a human with a parasite. She is posing as a humanoid alien, and acting as a trader, dealing in all kinds of exotic goods. She is also gathering intelligence for the parasite species, scoping out the system, trying to determine whether the locals would be suitable for attack later. In order with this, she is also co-ordinating minor raids and attacks, disguised as the activities of pirates and slavers. She has that whole alien parasite thing, but infecting things is not just a matter of taking someone over, it takes time, and not every host is suitable.

There are two things, first off, it is very similar to ForeverMischievous' idea. Perhaps they can be combined, perhaps that would just clutter things up. Second, I am not 100% sure that this would fit the current setting.

So, what are your thoughts?

I'd been holding off responding to this HOPING others (besides me as GM) would since I wanted others to feel free to state opinions first before I did. But since it's been a week and no one has, I'm going to now.

I personally don't think this idea is too crazy or outlandish. I think everyone in general had been ok with the idea of an invasion, just that they didn't want it to be something too powerful or overwhelming. Here, you are talking about a single planet. Or even possibly a single race from a planet (not sure which exactly). So that is much more manageable here. And the fact that there is the idea that not all people are good hosts is a potentially HUGE disadvantage. It means that not all the planets in the system will work out for them and obviously not all people. So, we can bring in new characters who can be hosts while all our characters, if we want, can be untouched. We can even bring in the idea that a weakness can be found down the line that might break the symbiosis the parasite has with its host since we are dealing with biology here. So there are things that we can play with and we will be expanding our universe and character base at the same time.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents there. But I'd still like others to bring up their thoughts before moving forward because I am but one person and might not necessarily be thinking of everything. But anyway, I did want to address it. :)

Also...... I've noticed that the time between posts has decreased quite significantly. Not sure if this is due to schedules or lack of interest. But either way, if people could let us all know as to the why in the 'Absences and Delays' Thread and whether they'll be back to posting and such, uhhh... kinda would be nice, not to mention considerate. After all, it is a rule in the posting rules to give a heads up about that.

Thanks. :)

As I am the friend PIM was talking to I feel I should contribute to the discussion related to the idea.

The basic premise was that while this race of parasites was the traditional big bad multi-galaxy/system devouring monsters that such races usually are, they understand that sometimes it isn't worth the cost of destroying a systems defenders. They do need a constant supply of bio-mass, but they can get that from worlds without the ability to defend themselves against them (Why bother attacking a world that has intelligent life when most of that life is just as useful to them as plants from an undefended world?)

This is especially true when the political situation is as volatile as it seems to be. So instead they send in a single individual, (A 'Queen' in this case) who will pose as a merchant, who is there to spy. To that end she is trading her exotic technology (mostly drugs and medicine) for examples of technology (or samples of the various races inhabiting the system), while also testing the systems defenses and responses. She may direct very small scale raids, assessing how easily they are repulsed, and how the political system fluctuates accordingly. She will try and incite chaos and rebellion, aiming to weaken the system itself as much as she can.

There was also the idea that certain individuals have a latent (and quite probably un-accessed) psychic talents. Those individuals are valuable to the 'Hive' as potential Queens or Princes, rather than just bio-mass. And so another reason of her being a merchant is to try and work out how many, if any, such individuals she can find in the system. The more she can find, the higher priority it would be to consume the system.

Hope that clears things up a little bit, and looking forward to contributing to this setting (either as these, or in something else that is less exotic ^-^; )

*nods* Overall, this sounds fine. I think one of the biggest things that people had issue with when the idea of an invading race(s) came up before was that it spanned several galaxies. I think if this is a single planet or possibly something spanning only a couple, it would be much more plausible. Once you start going galactic and beyond that into inter-galactic the odds are tilted into statistical craziness and then things become skewed to the unbelievable and thus favoring one side over another. Best to keep sides on equal footing, so to say. And since the RP spans a single solar system of 12 planets, it's probably best to keep the invading force on a level that is similar to lesser, though perhaps with technology that is either equal to perhaps slightly better than what they might have. However, it shouldn't be outside the realm of their potential understanding since they should have the means to learn about them and possibly defeat them, etc.

That's my thought on that. I do hope others will contribute their thoughts as well and not just myself. :)

I've kept going over it, reading it and re-reading it, trying to find something wrong with it. Honestly, I think it would fit in with the setting, and it seems much more manageable. I mean, they have no real need to actively hunt and take over the system of Hera, if what Aether says is true. They could easily sustain themselves off of their other systems, so Hera is more like..... a welcome expansion to their feeding grounds it would seem. If it does come down to a fight, it would mean there is always the possibility of the invading race to pull out to lick it's wounds, and it MAY decide to leave the system alone yadda yadda. I have but one question. This parasitic race, it reminds me of the Flood from Halo. Would this be a somewhat accurate comparison to make? Now, keep in mind, when I say somewhat, I do not mean that this race is the Flood exactly. I'm just trying to get a...... a visualization if you would to go off of.

The idea was based of a hybrid of elements from the Flood from Halo, Tyranids from warhammer 40k, and the zerg from Starcraft. Or at least they were in mind and no doubt they all had/will have influence on the idea behind them. I have found a picture that I will use as my main character for the race (The Queen in charge of the scouting party) and I'll post that when I write up the bio.

As for technology I was thinking that in some areas they are superior (primarily medicine, drugs, acid weapons, biological modification techniques), but in others (raw technology oriented devices such as Computers, engines, explosives). Ship-wise they are generally forced to use hollowed out asteroids, with organisms specifically designed and grown to provide engines, weapons, navigation and life support. They aren't the most effective of systems, but they are very easy for them to repair/rebuild, and very difficult to cripple due to their naturally regenerating nature. So hard to stop/destroy short of completely obliterating it, but at anything other than short-range/boarding they have little to no combat capability. As for individual combat forms, I'll just make them up as I go. There is no 'set' combat form, and they just modify bio-mass into whatever they think will be most effective. Their communication is also entirely focused around Queen/s, and if they get removed any organism just goes 'feral' and starts functioning purely on instinct. As long as the Queen/s are around, they stay perfectly in organization. Remove them and they fall apart and start acting purely as individuals.

I like the idea very much, very much indeed. Thanks Aether for giving me a point of reference, you have my full support. As for certain things concerning the more..... technical aspects, I'd like to exttend an offer. If you need any help with particular designs and such, hopefully I can help.

I've been writing up my idea for the race in question, and an idea occured. The 'parasite' is just one of potentially hundreds of varients of an original parasitic life-form (think like the flood from Halo for the base race). As the parasite rapidly evolves mutations are fairly common, and often those mutations break off from the original 'strain' to form their own 'strain'. None of these strains are allied with each other, and in fact are directly competing with each other for the same resource (bio-mass). This means that while the parasite itself may be spread throughout far larger space then a few systems, this particular strain is considerably more focused and cautious. It could even open up the idea that if another strain shows up, this strain may very well help defend the system against the unwanted 'competitor' (just a potential plot idea).

I also looked through the bio sheet, and noticed that the image asked for was a real image. As the two potential character pictures I was planning to use are not real photos (but drawings, one more obvious of the fact than the other) I was wondering if I could still use one of them, assuming the required dimensions for the image are correct?

EDIT: Also thanks for the offer Razor. I might end up taking you up on it later on. Than again I might not, depending on how my imagination flows with it :p Of course if you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to either post them, or pm them to me ^-^;

Also, in regards to images....... yes, real life images are wanted, but there are indeed allowable exceptions. Obviously there are certain instances where it's just not possible to use them and I fully understand that (especially given that this is a scifi setting). Anyway, use discretion and most importantly.... stay away from anime. >.<

And, for the record, I'm liking the idea as well, so looks like you have 3 supporters from those who are active in this RP... one of which is the GM. :)

I'm gonna be delayed a bit but I will try to post in the next couple days to try to move the RP along unless Razer wants to do a cut scene and go to the black to continue it along. Either way is fine. I don't mind a control shift like that given the circumstances.

One thing you can do, since we do have time tags in the headers, is you can finish out the scene as you need and just continue on in 'The Black' simultaneously. Up to you though. But since we don't have to be perfectly linear 'in game', that is always an option. But again, that is something we can do assuming those involved in said scene(s) are fine with that. :)

Also, I think my characters now are all off and separated for the most part, so they can just do whatever. Those who are separated off can move along on a timeline as needed and just post whatever is pertinent or do a mega post as needed to fill in gaps. Plus we can always discuss details of things in here to to help fill in things that need to be addressed and added in such posts. Basically, however and whatever, we can get it filled in and worked out. Mainly, so long as we all communicate... it should be able to happen. :)

Back
Top Bottom