Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Masked Protests A Thing of the Past

miles

Super-Earth
So, what do you think of the C-309 bill, aka, Preventing Persons from Concealing Their Identity during Riots and Unlawful Assemblies Act?

http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-1/C-309/

On the one hand, you got people who wanna wear masks during protest because they want to show support for a cause but they want to stay anonymous. But then you've got your people who show up in masks in preparation for starting riots and this would essentially enable the gov./police to stop the troublemakers before they start causing problems.

Precautionary measures v. the ability to protest anonymously.

Should it be put through?

Do you have a link that actually has the bill so we can read it? Or did I miss it somewhere on the link you posted?

I ask because the title makes it seem as if it will not be illegal to protest while you conceal your identity. It only makes it illegal to riot, or illegally assemble with your identity concealed. Which kind of seems redundant.

Yeah. In the link I provided right there at the beginning there is a line that says "Elsewhere" on the left hand side. The corresponding line of text on the right has a link where you can read the full text of the Bill.

Also, I'm pretty certain that if the Bill passes you won't be able to cover your face at all while protesting. A quote from one of the first guys talking about the Bill:

I do not think any member in the House would deny that it is in the public interest to stop riotous behaviour as quickly as possible. Therefore, Bill C-309 aims to strip away the anonymity that criminals depend on by making the wearing of a mask without lawful excuse a new offence. The ability to remove people who don a mask to deliberately cause trouble would be a new tool for police to prevent these individuals from instigating or committing criminal acts.

It's a preventative measure. There doesn't have to be a riot going on for them to arrest people. What would be a "lawful excuse" for wearing a mask during a protest? If I go to a public and peaceful protest, I am there as a group. I am not identified as one. Why shouldn't I be able to be anonymous?

Also, something I forgot to mention is that this bill is being proposed in Canada, not US.

Thanks. Maybe Im having computer problems, but when I go to read the full text I only get like three or four pages. Each of which specifically state during a riot or unlawful assembly.

Now I don't know what constitutes a lawful assembly in Canada. But here in the states (depending on the state you are in) You either have to have a permit, if you are protesting static, IE not moving, or the assembly must be mobile. IE walking up and down the sidewalk while protesting, and if asked you do not say that you are protesting.

But yes I can see how this law could be abused.

Back
Top Bottom