Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Department of Home-Lunch Security

miles

Super-Earth
The USDA and The Department Of Education ought to be shut down.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8762

RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

The home-made lunch having been ruled illegal by officials*, the preschooler was given a federally-approved lunch, for which her mother has been sent a bill. The girl didn’t care for the substitute lunch, ate only the three chicken nuggets, and left everything else on her tray untouched. It may not have worked out all that nutritious for her, but at least it’s compliant with DCDEE/DHHS/USDA paperwork, and that’s what matters.

Nothing pisses me off more than some rural North Carolina red neck mother packing a turkey and cheese sammich, with a banana, some chips and a bottle of apple juice for her 4 year old. It's a load of bushwa.

I'm surprised the FED school lunch Nazis didn't arrest her for child abuse.

We really need more control..... I'm thinking prison sentences.

How about these Amish, selling fresh milk, and the farmers who are raising dust with their plows. This shit has got to stop........................

Yeah, the next thing you know they will be telling you what you can and can not make for dinner in your own home.

Earlier this year we had to get a prescription for our five year old so he could take high calorie snacks to prek. He was born really early, and has always been small and underweight. Boy eats like a horse, but wont gain weight.

Teachers wouldn't let him him have the snacks without a scrip, and the doctor constantly got into our asses about his weight cause he's so small. Kid eats more than I do.

Can parents be allowed to parent their kids for once without having everyone and their mother bugging the hell out of them?

That's just ridiculous. I don't see whats wrong with that lunch. If anything, take the chips out and its not that bad. I could understand a school sending home a note asking to keep chips, twinkies, candies, and sugary snacks out of their lunches. But to straight up take the lunch away and force their kid to eat what they deem is healthy is just ridiculous. What if she had a food allergy?

It's like parents don't even have rights to their own kids, and children are having more legal power in a household than a parent. I can understand protecting children, but the strictness of some of this stuff is ridiculous.

Like that one dad who shot his daughters laptop. CPS had multiple calls on him for that video because they assumed that since he had a gun, and he shot the laptop, that he may be abusing her. I heard someone describe her chore list as child labor. I laughed my ass off when I heard that.

A teacher called CPS on us because my boys went to school in T-Shirts in December. When the CPS case worker came to my house, like three hours later, she showed up in a tank top. (It was seventy five degrees outside that day)

Parents have no rights anymore.

Can they force meat to be included? That seems like an outdated attitude to me. What if the parents are vegetarian, and want to make up the nutritional value in another way?

Apparently this was Yet Another Case of Schoolteacher Stupidity. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the legislation as written, except possibly for meat - however, denying a child meat is dangerous. Your body stores a decade or more of B12 - but you need to build that up, first. All the regulation says is that, if a child's meal is insufficient, additional food needs to be provided.

Back
Top Bottom