Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tandem (sci-fi. FxF)

Feathers

Planetoid
((This is an experiment for me. It's my first try not only a scifi story, but any "Real" solo story meant for other people to read. If you like it (or even don't) let me know what you think. This is just the first page, if people like it i will add more pages later. I think this could be a pretty cool story. Constructive criticism is awesome. Thanks for reading.))

Kara's unearthly grey eyes slid open softly, adjusting to the dim light provided by the beeping console in the corner. Had it really been a couple hours already, she wondered as she grumbled and squirmed beneath the thin baby blue sheet over her body. As if an answer all by itself the warm body behind her returned the squirm before tightening the arms wrapped around her shoulders.

"Ugh. 0600 already. Time flies when...you are resting peacefully. I guess." Kara deadpanned, lifting the sheet off her body and swinging her legs over the side of the bed. Padding naked and barefoot across the cold metal floor she punched a couple buttons on the screen to silence the alarm, bringing the light levels up in the room slowly but surely as a reminder that whatever last bit of sleep that her lover hoped to get was gone at this point. "Claire? We both know your Sergeant dear. It's not really a good idea to over sleep" Bending down Kara placed her lips on Claire's soft lips, delighting at the moment of resistance that she put up before losing herself in the first embrace of the morning.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it. Reporting at 0700 means 0700, not 0659 either" the brunette grumbled, finally tossing off the covers as well. Claire's naked body stood in silent contrast to Kara's more willowy frame. She had much more tone on her muscles, a natural byproduct of lugging around heavy equipment and body armor through whatever god forsaken exercises the Marines put her through. Kara on the other hand didn't have any responsibility of the sort. Flying interceptors was strenuous in a different fashion, flying at full boost at several hundred kilometers per second meant that a milliseconds reaction time were all that separates not only life and death, but the lives of those aboard the ship that she flying cover for. They did make the odd pair, she admitted to herself. The solider and the angel, the ground and the air meeting somewhere in between.

Kara dutifully pulled Claires uniform out, a pair of blue and white camouflage fatigues and a match tshirt before tossing them to her lover and finding her own jumpsuit crumpled on the floor. Slipping her legs into the deep blue fabric, she couldn't help but sneak a last peak at Claire's nude body sitting on the edge of her bed. From her bouncy but perfectly pert C cups swaying gently with each movement, to her solid abs with just the slighest hint of a six pack, there wasn't anything of Claire's that didn't make her fall in just a little bit more love with her. Try as she might, that included Claire's famous stubbornness as well. It just wouldn't be Claire if Kara didn't have to drag her out the door.

"Well I have to go. Places to go, people to see, Thermonuclear weapons to bump around dangerously." Kara said, trying to keep a straight face as she zipped the front of the jumpsuit up, pulling her black hair with dark purple highlights into a round ponytail. Leaning down and giving her lover another last peck on the lips before sliding towards the door. ".......Love you." she said as she paused at the door.

"See you after your shift? I'll make your favorite meal, mashed potatoes and chicken nuggets in the cafeteria." Claire finally said, her brown eyes finally beginning to light up as the sleep drained from them. Still, it wasn't the return "I love you too" that Kara was hoping for. It never was. With a small meek wave goodbye she was out into the hallways of the SDF Raven.

A pair of Marines leaning against the bulkhead a little bit down the hallway looked up as the door to Claire's room latched shut. "Hey, looky here. One of the little birdies found herself a new nest. That's Corporal Sinclair's room right? She didn't rough you up too bad did she? You Naval types are sort of fragile." one of them laughed, their volume doubling as Kara felt a touch of pink rising in her cheeks. Slowing to a stop, the pilot waited patiently for their laughter to die down with an extremely forced smile. "Hey, you guys are from the Landing crews right? The one's I was flying cover for last operation? Maybe next time I'll let you punch it out with those Jekel fighters that I intercepted. I'll sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to arm wrestle them after they slice your landing craft in half at 50 kilometers altitude, ok?" Kara said, the Marines instantly shifting uncomfortably at the mention of Tsaris. The entire landing was mucked up halfway through by a Jekel battlegroup jumping in right as the raiders were about to touch down. Without Kara and her squadron providing a harried delaying action at best none of the Marines would have had time to get back, at worse the ship itself would have been dust slowly circling the planet.

Taking the opportunity as their gazes turned to the floor she started towards the grey elevator doors down the corridor. The flight deck was sandwiched between the Marine and Naval sections of the ship, as perfect access as it could be in such a comfined area. The SDF Raven was a Raider class carrier, designed for solo hit and run mission, black ops, interdiction of supplies and reinforcements, that sort of thing. The ship itself had minimal weapons other than a nice selection of anti-aircraft weapons, relying on the set of three massive fusion engine to keep any fight strictly at arms reach. If speed and stealth failed, she was still an aircraft carrier when it came down to it, and a wave of Banshee torpedo bombers would make any Jekel capital ships wary of pushing it's luck. The Marines, well they were there for things that couldn't be bombed into a ball of glass from orbit. Set down behind enemy lines to do whatever it took to achieve the objective, Kara didn't envy the feeling of knowing you were one of the few Humans on an alien planet. It took a certain amount of fire in the belly to step into that dropship, but it was sad to see that respect wasn't mutual for the guardian angels watching over them as they did their duty.

Yellow lights snapped on along the tops of the walls, illuminating the entire corridor and breaking her instantly away from her thoughts. "Yellow alert. Ready 5. Flight crews lock and load" a voice boomed from the nearest intercom, echoing of the cold metal around Kara. She hesitated little as the soft clang of her running feet joined in the sudden burst of noise around her as everyone got to where they needed to be. Suddenly a bump from a running Marine easily double her weight sent her stumbling, but she quickly found her footing and was on her way without so much as a glance back. Weeks of training sent her into autopilot at the alarm, and the only thing that mattered right now was getting to her aircraft. Without it, she was just in the way.

"Lieutenant Swanson!" she heard called as she scrambled into the flight deck. Swiveling her head down she saw the Flight Commander waving from his office, perched above the chaos unfolding below it across the cavernous hanger. Odd that he would pull her away from her duties, but he was still the ranking officer on deck, and she was in no position to ignore him. Wading through the crowd and dodging mechanics getting the planes around them ready to fly, she made her way up the metal staircase to the office.

".....Well, if the origin is coming from the Cygnus cluster, that puts the entire pipeline from the Homecluster outward in danger." Captain Rogers said, moving his hand across the large starmap displayed on the table in the center of the large room. Tracing a line between a pair of stars the map automatically zoomed in and outined the route between them. A small red dot pulsated in the center of the crooked path, the location of their defense fleet. If either end happened to be attacked and lost the only faster than light travel between the heavily industrialized heartland of the Solarian League and the more sparsely populated, largely agrarian worlds of the Cygnus Constellation would be instantly severed.

Back
Top Bottom