Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Home is Where a Restless Heart Roams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erato

Super-Earth
For the span of several days, she'd followed a strange combination of lore, heart and blind instinct to guide her on this journey of finding one's self, one's heritage, and at the moment, some shade from the sun's blistering heat.
"I've heard the stories of Cutter's tribe crossing the desert, I'm just wondering how the old wolf chief managed to get everyone across in one piece."She mused to the great shaggy beast at her side who merely yawned his response while his nose was ever pressed to the loose soil beneath their feet. Sand, she recalled her mother calling it.
Hours later, as the heat continued to climb, both elf and wolf finally sought shelter by an outcropping of rocks that seemed to come alive with several small lizards darting to a safe height to peer down at two strange trespassers in the unforgiving desert wilderness. Neither hunter had any drive or energy to try and make a meal out of the small creatures as they tried to wait out the worse of the heat.
Finally though, they realized that there simply was no waiting out the worse since it seemed to go on forever and with a grunt of determination, Trueshot got to her feet and sent to the wolf who had been her sole companion since she'd started this half-strung journey of hers.
< Come on, I'd rather die on my feet trying rather than die laying down like some frightened prey thing. The desert can't go on forever, right? We're bound to hit the sun village soon.> She sent to the exhausted sable wolf as he padded after her.
When it wasn't trying to cook them alive, this treeless wasteland seemed intent on trying to freeze them as the nights proved to be the perfect polar opposite to it's brighter counterpart. Trueshot was thankful for her wolf friend's presence during those times, but it did little to ease the trouble in her heart as the two settled down for the night.
Her water was down to half a skin, and her dried meat was even less as she slipped Dancer a piece of dried meat and then settled her weary head against his side while his great shaggy tail covered her up to protect her from the night's chill.
The next turn of the sun found them both slow to rise and even slower to move out. < Sand's so thick, it reminds me of snow..> She grunted as she suddenly pitched forth and for a moment, could almost imagine herself back within the deep green of the forest with the familiar sounds of treewee's playing up in the trees, squirrel's chattering about lost nuts and birds of every kind talking about nest making business. Yes, it had to be snow she was in and these past few days a dream, a strange and bizarre dream brought on by one too many dreamberries on an empty stomach.
Only, she couldn't remember snow being warm or even tasting so foul, never slaking her thirst despite how much she tried to eat it. < Well, this is a fine mess..>She groused as she pulled her head up from her last attempt to eat the snow-that-was-not-snow and spat the grains from her mouth. < Maybe this is a lesson in listening to one's elders, eh, Dancer?>She tried to laugh only to cough and succumb to gravity's pull on her head while her wolf-friend merely whinned and pawed at her, nipping at her to try and rouse her to get up.
<Leave off, I'm done for, friend. I only ask that you forgive me for dragging you along on this foolish quest of mine.> She apologized before falling silently.

Vannor squinted through the glare at the black dots in the sky. He heard the shouts of his compatriots, heading back to the village with a few hoppers and a bird they'd brought down, but he saw the circling carrion birds, and got a strange feeling. Foresight wasn't his gift, not like some of the others, but he had a feeling nonetheless. The birds were circling out on the Dunes, and no sane animal traveled out there if they could help it. They'd have to be mad with thirst, or a Wolfrider.

Speaking of, he turned and sent back to his hunting companions; even after decades of practice, he still wasn't very good at it, but it was a lot clearer than shouting at this distance, and he was thankful that his Wolfrider friends had been willing to teach him and the other Sun Villagers. <There's something out in the dunes, I'm going to go take a look! Leave a spare waterskin at the rockpile, would you?> A few shouts echoed back to him, and one sending: <Don't get lost!>

He tightened the strap on his broad reed hat as he loped across the sand, feeling the burning heat through the leather of his sandals. He idly thought how he'd have to get some new ones soon as he focused again on the birds. They were circling lower, an indication that whatever they had noticed, they thought it was dying. But they weren't low enough to indicate they thought it was dead yet. He hoped whatever it was, it wasn't too dangerous; all he had was his short spear and a Wolfrider-style bow that he was decent with, but certainly not up to the level of some of the long-departed legendary archers. Strongbow was even named for his skill!

Eventually, he crested a dune and saw something... it looked like a wolf, but it was a bit too fluffy to be any of the Village pack. Far too much cold-weather fur. His heart leapt as he considered the possibility it might be one of the long-departed elves, coming back! Cutter and Leetah and all the rest. He broke into an outright run, heading toward the glimpsed wolf, and began to send as strongly as he could: <Hello?>

The smell of a foriegn elf was enough to rouse the black beast and give him strength to stand on his feet once more after having abandoned any attempt to rouse his rider. Now there was a new possibility that the reckless female whom he'd bonded with would be taken care of as he sat on his haunches and pawed at her once more.
Trueshot groaned as the sending hit her like a fist of feathers, brow furrowing and shoulders moving as if trying to summon the strength to lift her head. What was Dancer so worried about? They were back at the holt, at least so she thought, and now was the time for sleep...or so her body told her.
And who in their right mind would be sending to her to try and wake her up? Everyone knew that she was cranky when woken from a sound sleep, unless it was important. Was it important? Maybe she was just dreaming someone sent to her. But then there was that familiar tingling sensation once more and she finally lifted her head to see the outline of a fuzzy form that looked vaguely elf.
Only one elf would be brave enough to wake her in the middle of the day and she balled up a fist while narrowing her eyes at the intruder of her den-that-was-not-a-den.
< Firebrand, this better be important or else I--!> She broke off as her vision cleared and she noticed that the individual she'd mistaken for someone else, did not look at all like a wolfrider. No wolfrider was as tall nor dark of skin like this elf was; almost like staring into a pond and having the reflection stare back.
Besides, Firebrand was dead, had been for at least one full turn of the seasons as she continued to stare before realizing she was not in the green of the wood, nor was she in her den but waist deep in that sand stuff her mother had told her about, shown her images of.
"Oh, High Ones..."She muttered before grabbing a handful of sand and throwing it at the strange elf. Surely he was just another trick of heat sickness as she felt a wave of frustration come over her. Did she make it this far to go mad and die of thirst?

He saw the sand hurtling toward his face before he even got a clear look at the thrower, in the glare of the day. It was a small thing to duck as he jogged, avoiding the main mass and letting the side spray rain onto his hat. "Hey, now!" he called out, slowing as he came near. "If you'd rather eat sand, I'll go away, but I have water, if you'd care for some."

He sized up the wolf, which seemed bedraggled and exhausted and heat-sick, but not aggressive. If anything, it had probably recognized him as an elf, and in his experience with the Wolfriders, their mounts were friendly to elves unless their riders were actually on the warpath. And he wasn't showing any aggression, so the wolf seemed to be letting him approach in peace.

It was the elf that was causing the issue; she looked worse off than the wolf, and if the poor animal had possessed the strength, Vannor was sure it would have dragged its rider onward a bit more, perhaps all the way to the Village, if it could have scented it. But as it was, he was glad he'd arrived as soon as he did; it would have been a matter of hours before it wouldn't have mattered.

He paused a non-threatening distance away, hooked his shortspear into the crook of his arm and unlimbered his waterskin, still about half-full. "Really, though, it's fresh water. Straight from the village well."

Was..this image brought on by heat sickness trying to anger her? Still unconvinced entirely that this was an elf and not some sort of illusion, the scent of fresh water however roused her and she lifted her head once more. The water smelled real enough and with a silent curse and gritting of her teeth, Trueshot was up half way and reaching out for that water skin while Dancer licked at her face to remove the grains of sand from around her mouth.
< You worry too much.> She sent to the dark beast who merely huffed in annoyance at his rider as she snatched the skin and took a long drink. It was real, which meant that the elf who'd brought it to her was real as she pulled the skin away with reluctance and pried open the wolf's mouth so that he could get some water as well.
Large eyes turned upwards to stare once more in her savior's face, this time a little less hostile and with less sand throwing in mind as she shakily stood to her feet while the wolf spluttered indignantly at having water poured down his gullet. He was doing far better than his elf friend at the moment, though admittedly not by much. Still, she'd been the one near death...
"I'm sorry I thought you were a heat sickness illusion."She apologized, feeling more than a bit foolish for showing such rudeness to distant kin on the first meeting. Her mother had always admonished her when she was a cub for being reckless and impulsive. An 'arrow too eager to fly before checking it's mark.' Her father had teased her before.
"I.."What? What did she say now? I crossed the desert and left the holt in search of the Sun Village because my mother was one of you?Somehow, that just sounded utterly foolish even though she'd have blurted it normally. Why was she suddenly so self-concious around this strange elf? They were all children of the High Ones, right? Then again, taking the journey alone like she had was also a foolish venture.
"I um...don't suppose you'd be willing to show me where this well of yours is, would you?"

"It's all right. Heat exposure does that sometimes." He listened to her ask about the well, and offered his hand. "I am Vannor. And of course! You're welcome to come to the Village! You're a Wolfrider, yes? You and your kin are always welcome. In fact, we do have several of your kin still living with us, if you'd care to meet them. When most of them left, a few stayed behind, to help us. Come and meet them!"

He smiled at her and let her keep the waterskin. "Can I ask your name? And, perhaps, the name of your wolf friend?"

There were Wolfriders here in the desert?! But with such questions and an introduction, it made conversation much easier now that she didn't feel like she was going to expire any time soon.
"I'm Trueshot."She replied, taking his hand and feeling a slight tingle course through her as if the last vestiges of doubt were destroyed by that simple contact. Yep, he was real alright as she followed him back to the village with Dancer right at her heels.
After another careful drink from the skin and lowering it to drip so that her wolf could lap at the droplets of moisture, she cleared her throat to answer him.
"I'm only part Wolfrider. My mother was actually one of you."She recalled, seeing the image of her lovely mother's face in her mind and the stern yet friendly face of her father.
"And this is Dancer."As she pulled the skin up and drank once more. "My first wolf friend."She smiled as her bronzed hand rested upon the sable fur atop her mount's head.
"But your folk ride those..zwoots, I think my mother called them?"She asked, curiousity and interest coming alight in her eyes.

"It's good to meet you, Trueshot. And you, Dancer." Vannor tried to gauge how shaky she was; the water was helping, but he was ready to help support her if she wavered. "If by 'one of you' you mean a Sun Villager, then of course, you're doubly welcome. You're not a child of Cutter and Leetah's, are you?" He, and the rest of the village, had heard from Savah's contact with Cutter's tribe that Leetah and Suntop were trapped in time with Rayek, but anything could happen, so perhaps they had gotten free?... and had been together long enough to have a third child and grow her to this apparent age. No, that was unlikely. There had been others that had traveled to visit the distant Holt over the centuries; he ran through the names in his mind as he gazed at her, but he could not identify any features in common; she must take after her father in appearance.

"Well, regardless, you're an elf, and therefore we are kin, no matter what tribe or people you are from." He gestured back in the direction of the village. "But come, the heat of day is no time to be standing and talking about this. Let's get you two back to safety, where you can recover in peace." Making sure they were following, he started to lead the way back home. "And yes, we do have a number of zwoots, but not enough for everyone to ride them. Hunting parties and such still go on foot. We mostly use our beasts for farming and carrying large loads. We have a new invention, a platform with wheels, that a zwoot can drag. Saves lots of time and effort during harvest season!"

He grinned at her. Talking everyday inconsequential things was soothing, and he hoped she would relax. At the same time, he found himself getting excited. A new face, with new news, new stories, new skills. There was very little new in the Village of the Sun, so fresh perspectives were something to get excited about.

"Cutter and Leetah's cub? Oh no, I'm afraid they were before my time."She explained with a bit of a chuckle, having heard the stories of the Kinseeker and his crazy adventures. Her tribe had actually been descendants of the splinter group led by Cutter's girl-cub, Ember who had eventually settled in some woods away from the threat of the five fingered ones for many eights of the season.
"My mother told me stories of when Cutter came through the Sun Village, how she'd even joined up with Dart and became one of his Jack-Wolf riders for a time before they disbanded. It was when Chieftess Ember and her group were searching for land of her own, Mother left to go with them."Trueshot explained as they walked to the village.
"My father was one of the cubs who came after Chieftess Ember finally Recognized with Tier, the Father of Wolves as we called him. Their cub became chief and the tribe's number grew so that the old ones could join those who had gone before them in the Palace. "Her voice trailing off for a moment as she thought back to the loss of her lovemate, trying to push the pain of his loss as well as the dull ache that came of thinking of her parents.
"At any rate, you don't ride zwoots? How do you catch game on foot? Are you that fast?"She asked before accidently knocking into Vannor when the excitement grew to be too much in her current state. What she needed was to lie down in some cool and dark place so she could rest and recover from her crazy journey.
"Mm..sorry. "She apologized as her hands smoothed up his arm and she righted herself. Was the wolfblood in her veins stronger than the blood of her mother's people? Only time would truly tell.

He listened to her recitation of her heritage, and marveled a bit. Had it been so long? Or were the Wolfriders really so fast to develop and mature? It was a wonder to him how she could speak of such happenings so casually; splitting tribes, Recognition, elves going on to the Palace -- dying, he knew, but for a few who actually WERE in the palace.. He was respectful of her apparent loss, at least of her tribe, since she was here, but he sensed maybe there was more to it. But he was respectful, so he stayed quiet as she spoke.

But then she asked a question, and as he was about to answer, she stumbled or weaved and bumped into him. His hand came up to support her as hers smoothed down his arm, leaving trails of paradoxical coolness in he heat. "Don't worry," he said gently, "you're likely to be dizzy for a bit. The sun does that."

"We don't hunt for much, just small game. Bows are perfectly good for that sort of thing; we go out as a group to help each other learn to track, learn to hunt, and it's a good reason to get away from the Village. A zwoot would make too much noise, and frankly, it would be over too fast!" He chuckled at that. "If there was a large beast we needed to hunt, we might ride zwoots to chase it down, but there's not much like that here in the desert. Maybe a few predators." He thought of the large sand-cat that had come through a decade or two ago. "That's another reason it's good to go out on foot, to see if we can see tracks or sign that something big has been prowling around. It's harder to see the evidence of that when you're up on a zwoot."

He cocked his head at her, his arm still supporting her companionably by the elbow. "If you're curious, I can arrange for a zwoot-ride when you're feeling better. Probably won't compare to riding a fast wolf, but it might be interesting."

At the suggestion of her riding anything other than him, Dancer seemed to huff in annoyance as though he could understand everything this strange elf was suggesting to his rider. Even gave Trueshot a warming bump of the head which only succeeded in further knocking her into Vannor.
"You rockhead.."She muttered, though if it was to herself or to the wolf, it was hard to say as she let the Sun Villager's taller form support her just as they reached the first of many huts, she recalled the strange ground-holts being called.
Villagers, curious about the arrival of a strange elf, began to pour out of their homes to have a stare, some whispering to one another as each tried to make a guess as to who she might be and where she'd come from since it had been many, many, many turns of the season since they'd had a visitor in their desert oasis. To see so many faces that bore a likeness to her mother made her feel as if something inside of her that had been sleeping for so long had finally awakened. A connection of two halves of her being as her lips turned upwards to offer a bright albeit shy smile to the villagers.
"Fetch the Mother of Memory!"Someone called as Trueshot gave a slightly pensive glance at Vannor. The Mother of Memory? She was hardly in any condition to be recieved by such a revered figure of this village. The very idea of her seeing Savah at the moment sounded about as foolish to her as offering twigs as an offering to Timmain herself.
<I'm..not in any condition to see the Mother of Memory! I probably look like something a wolf cub has retched up and feel about the same. Is there..somewhere we can go so I can rest a bit and clean up before your honored Mother of Memory sees me?>

Vannor's return sending was gentle (if halting) and reassuring, but still conveyed some amusement. <Savah will come see you in the healer's hut, where it's cool and dark and there is plenty to drink. Don't worry; she's seen much worse than you in her time.>

He guided her to the large hut with the few windows, and there was already a fresh bed waiting for her, with cool water and a smiling nurse to help her get comfortable. "Here, now," Vannor soothed, "space to lie down in, and even room for Dancer next to you." He hesitantly patted the big wolf as the nurse took over. "This is Arehya; she'll help take care of you until the healer gets here. You may have heard of Rainsong and Woodlock's child? Still healer of the village. So you'll even see another Wolfrider soon."

He made sure she was comfortable, with Arehya's help. "Let me just get a larger bowl of water for Dancer, okay?"

"Already done," whispered a gentle but rich voice from the doorway, and the very tall and slender Savah bent to enter. Her robes swathed her in sky blue, and she carried a broad earthen bowl nearly full of water fresh from the well. "But you can give it to the honored wolf, please. I should greet the wolf's rider."

There was not a convenient chair, or throne, such as befitted the Mother of Memory, but Arehya gave up her stool, and the elder elf accepted it gracefully. Once seated, she turned her huge, irridescent, and supremely peaceful eyes upon Trueshot. "You are most welcome, Wolfrider. Your kin of both your bloodlines are eager to see you... when you are rested. But I chose to greet you as soon as possible." She leaned forward fractionally and tilted her head in a conspiratorial manner. "I do have a bit of influence in this village, you see," she confided, as if sharing a secret, and the ghost of a mischievous smile played around her lips, but was gone as fast as the twinkle in her otherworldly eyes.

"I do have to ask, however: does your visit herald a crisis? Is there an emergency we should be aware of? I don't mean to alarm you, but if there is something urgent we must attend to, I would merely prefer to attend to it sooner, rather than later."

Both wolf and elf sighed with relief once they were led inside the healer's hut and laid upon comfortable bedding that certainly beat the rocks and other things they'd been bedding on as of late. Not to mention the water that helped not only cool them, but rehydrate them.
Her eyes had never really gotten used to the bright glare of the sun after having spent all of her life in the deep woods, as well as the nocturnal hours that the Wolfriders kept. It made her wonder how her mother had adjusted to such living, but then perhaps that could have been because of Recognition.
Before she had a chance to thank Arehya for the water, the tallest elf she'd ever seen stepped inside the hut and a quiet awe fell over the new comer. She'd seen images of Savah from the images her mother had shown her via sending but they hadn't done the woman any justice! The honored and revered Mother of Memory smiled at her warmly as if she were a lost daughter who had come back to the safety of her bossom.
Dancer wasted no time getting up to lap up the water eagerly while his rider struggled to sit up so as not to be rude while her dark violet eyes rounded like a cub seeing her first snow all over again.
"No..no there isn't anything to be alarmed about, Mother of Memory."Trueshot replied quickly to put the elder's heart and mind at ease.
"My reasons for coming were purely personal, I assure you. My mother spoke often of her home land and I was curious to see it for myself. With my chief's blessing, I made the journey."Even though blessing was only one way of putting it.
Chief Wintercalm had expressed his unease about her going through the desert, having heard the stories from his chieftess mother from her father, the famous 'Kinseeker' himself, Cutter. His grandsire had been lucky not to lose anyone though why take the chance? If she insisted on going to meet her kin, she could do so with two others of her chosing.
But Trueshot wanted to see for herself which of her parent's blood was stronger in her veins. Was it the Sun and Desert that would emerge triumphant or would it be the Wolf and the Woods? She couldn't know if she had others to rely on so, she'd left early when everyone had gone 'tree' for the day.
"I'm grateful for your generosity, Mother of Memory, and apologize for arriving so abruptly like this."

"You have nothing to apologize for," Savah said with a gentle smile. "The abruptness of your arrival is no concern, next to how we first met the Wolfriders! You are welcome here. I just wish we'd have known to look for you, you might not have suffered such hardship, you and your bond-wolf." She smiled at Dancer. "Oh, he looks like a big one. When he meets the wolves in the caves, he ought to establish himself quickly."

She stood, now, and inadvertendly bent over the bed attempting not to hit her lovely headdress on the ceiling of the hut. "You should rest now, let Arehya tend to you. You'll feel better shortly, and then you can meet the rest of the village. Vannor, please accompany me. Our honored guest needs to recuperate."

"I'll see you soon," he said, smiling at Trueshot as he left with the Mother of Memory. They stepped out into the throng of curious villagers, and walked away as the crowd parted before them; they all knew Savah and Vannor, after all.

"So you found her out in the wastes?" Savah asked casually.

"I noticed the birds. I was curious as to what was out there."

"You have much power, but no magic as yet, Vannor, and it's been centuries. I wonder... I wonder if you ability is purely mental."

He paused, thinking. "I suppose it could be. But I still don't feel this power you speak of. I don't know what it's supposed to feel like."

Savah chuckled lightly and patted his shoulder. "You will. All things in the fullness of time. Now, you should rest, too. I think Trueshot is going to need a guide when she's recovered, and I can't think of anyone better than yourself to handle the task."

As soon as Vannor left, she settled a bit uneasily into the comfortable bed, listening to the sounds of other elves whispering amongst themselves and the occassional sloshing of water when Dancer decided to drink more water. The Mother of Memory was even more impressive looking when face to face with her versus the mental images her mother had shared with her.
No doubt if her mother were still alive, she'd admonish her for taking such a risk, her father would probably simply laugh and shake his head as he tended to do when she did something reckless. And Firebrand? She didn't want to finish that thought as the sound of conversation took on a familiar tone. Like the wind whispering through the leaves and before long, she was deeply asleep.

A wet tongue slapping it's way across her face roused her and when her eyes opened, she realized that the sun had long since set, marking how many hours it'd been since she arrived and had been resting.
Once his bonded was awake, Dancer pawed at her earnestly and she grinned, knowing they shared the same sentiment. It was time to hunt in this new land and explore what the desert had to offer. It was the best place to learn about one's surroundings after all, and after so much sleep, she could use some fresh meat and so could her mount.
<Okay..okay..just calm down.>She sent to the sable beast as he began to prance eagerly towards the door while she grabbed her quiver and bow, then slipped out of the hut.
The moons were full, casting silver light upon the sleeping huts as she inhaled deeply and made it a point to stop by the well to fill her water skin. Once it was full, she settled onto Dancer's back and the two were soon off towards the canyons in search of prey.

The sound of the local wolves echoed through the rocks of the canyons; they were not the only wolves on the prowl tonight. But the pack was out, spread on the countryside, hunting. Small game was still available, out in the rocks and dunes, and both the elves and the wolves hunted it. But it took some searching. Still, that was half the fun.

There were distant calls of challenge, warning; a few elves who were still awake in the village raised their heads at the different sounds of the animals, echoing from the desert. But there would be time for the wolves to establish their new pecking order with Dancer after the hunt was done, and they had food in their bellies and energy to spare.

Vannor heard the calls, too, and left his hut. He knew without checking that Trueshot was not in the healer's hut any longer. Just like he knew that the few Wolfriders still in the village were out in the desert, as well. It only made sense; their blood would call them out. He didn't know what else to do, but he took his gear and went out to the rocks, climbing to the highest peak to look out to where she'd be hunting. He couldn't help it any more than she could help going out to hunt; he wanted to keep watch, to make sure she was all right. He'd saved her life, and as a result, he felt responsible for it. He couldn't keep up with her on the hunt, not with her riding Dancer. But he could keep an eye out, see if he could glimpse her. That was something he could do.

Both of them seemed to come alive under the light of the dual moons as the scent of small animals seduced the senses of elf and wolf; keen eyes on the lookout for something to fill their bellies.
Eventually from under the scrub brush a small pig-like creature trotted out to root around for something to eat, grunting and wiggling it's tail in obvious excitement when it found a cache of roots. This would do nicely and she could even offer her kill to those Wolfriders here amongst the desert dwellers in good faith.
<Steady..>She told the wolf beneath her as she notched an arrow and let it fly, hitting the prey thing in it's right rear flank. A scream sounded from it and Trueshot was already preparing another when the creature whirled and pawed at the ground angrily. A challenge? That suited her just fine as she waited for it to charge.
True to his name, Dancer gracefully danced out of range of the pig's tusks and gave his rider an opportunity to pierce the side of their quarry with another arrow, bringing it to the ground. Dismounting, Trueshot pulled the knife that rested in her boot and with one well placed stroke, ended the creature's suffering.
Tilting her head back, she howled with Dancer joining in to alert any and all Wolfriders as well as the wolf pack in the area that she had fresh meat to offer in good faith and the spirit of kin.

Answering howls sounded in the distance, and a few friendly sendings, as well <Welcome!> <Seems you had a good hunt already!>

By the time she and Dancer brought the boar back to the caves near the village, the local pack and three Wolfriders were waiting. Dancer bristled as the other wolves growled, but he was easily half-again the size of most of them; he would have little trouble finding his place in the hierarchy. Sparring for position was natural, and necessary, but he didn’t want to do it with Trueshot on his back.

The other Wolfriders were more friendly. “Well met,” said the eldest, a blonde male. “I’m Mender. I glanced in on you while you were in the sick hut, but you were well in hand, and I could tell you didn’t need my services. You’re… you’re a child from Ember’s tribe aren’t you?” A complicated look passed across his face. Of course she knew who he was, even though he’d left the tribe before she was born, to seek his past and find his future.

A woman stepped up. “I am Featherfall. I came out of Cutter’s tribe, but though one thing and another, ended up back here.” She grinned, and then gestured to the shy, dusky-skinned boy behind her. “And this is my son, Stonetalker. His father sleeps in our hut right now, but the wolf is strong in him.” Stonetalker blushed and buried his face in his mother’s back.

Mender piped up, apparently recovered from whatever emotional reaction he’d had. “Looks like an excellent hunt for you! Can we get a better look?”

(I realized, if all this time had passed, and Ember had recognized with whatsisname, then maybe Mender returned on his own, journeying back to his birthplace to wait out some heartache. Or wait, did I misread? Did Mender Recognize already in established continuity?)

(Nah, he never recognized so you're good.)

Placing a hand on Dancer's back to quiet him lest a fight should break out, Trueshot's eyes rounded a bit when the trio stepped into view and addressed her. Of course she'd heard of Mender even if he was before her time, a legend in of himself what with his healing abilities and many adventures.
"Shade and Sweetwater."She greeted them as she nodded to each as they introduced themselves or were introduced in turn. To be surrounded by kinfolk was like a rush of springtime to her heart as well as to be in the land of her mother's folk as she grinned and cut a slice of meat from her kill, offering it out to them.
"Please, by all means share with me."She offered as Dancer bumped her thighs and gave a grunt as if to remind her that he was there and hungry as well. Chuckling softly, she cut another slice for him and tossed it in the air where powerful jaws snapped shut and he began to eat.
"All I needed was a bit of rest and some water."She smiled at Mender as she glanced at the wolves and held her hands out for them to sniff and lick at their discretion, keeping her eyes out for the alphas so she'd know who to show more affection to.
"I got the idea to seek some of my mother's people out after hearing stories of Cutter and his small tribe cross the desert, it was risky but the High Ones were with me, fortunately. Vannor was the one who found me and brought me here to the village."She continued to explain as she glanced over at Featherfall and her young son, arching a brow in question before speaking once more.
"Your son, his father is a Sun Villager?"She asked.

The local wolves were pleased to welcome another Wolfrider, sensing the wolf blood but recognizing the elf side took precedence. They kept a wary distance from Dancer; until he'd challenged his way up the ranks to where he couldn't overcome, he would be a dangerous unknown, in their eyes. It was the pack way, the way of all wolves the world over, and something she understood; at least it wasn't a deadly challenge, just will and snarling and occasional teeth, but even just drawing blood was extremely rare.

Once they knew where he stood, they also would welcome him, but Trueshot knew Dancer would have a better go of it if she let him eat first, and no wolf from the local pack was pushing the issue, probably because Dancer was bigger than most. He might even end up as the new alpha, if his will was strong enough. Thankfully, elves were not so strict about pack ranking as their furrier siblings; beyond the chief, no one needed to challenge each other for status.

"I've crossed the Burning Sands twice, but never alone and unprotected on wolf-back," Mender observed, chewing. "I can't say that I recommend it," he said in a wry tone. "But it's good you arrived, and drew Vannor's attention. Yes, we've all heard of how he followed the circling birds; you've been the talk of the village all afternoon and evening."

Featherfall grinned. "You'll be quite popular as a playmate; all the eligible bucks will be wondering what a wild, untamed Wolfrider is like." She winked. "And some of the does, too, no doubt."

"Your son, his father is a Sun Villager?"

She nodded, smiling. "Yes, Hallovahn. It wasn't Recognition, but near enough, when we first tumbled, when I came here with Mender. And now we are lovemates with a growing cub." She sighed happily. "He's a fine male, but not a whisker of the wild in him. So he lets me run the night and help our boy learn the ways. Isn't that right, son?"

Stonetalker grinned around a mouthful of boar meat, turning that smile on Trueshot for a bit before he remembered he was supposed to be feeling shy, and shrank back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom